PDA

View Full Version : John Frow passed away

johntv
09-19-2011, 10:42 AM
John Frow a Red Patch Devil who as a Canadian soldier fought in Italy and Holland passed away last Thursday.
John is well known in the soccer community and as the founder of the St.Andrew's Soccer Club and the Robbie International Soccer Tournament helped raise the level of soccer in Scarborough and beyond.
John was 91

Thanks John for your memorable and great contributions as a liberator and soccer organizer.

RIP

Details re funeral etc. in the Deaths section of todays Toronto Star.

[NBF]
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
I didn't know him, but just from reading that he was a Canadian soldier and was involved with the community, it sounds like he had his heart in the right place.

My condolences to anyone that knew him personally.:canada:

Suds
09-19-2011, 10:55 AM
First I heard of this. Very sad news indeed.

As a kid that grew up in Scarborough playing soccer, this guy had a huge impact on building the game when I was young.

TFCRegina
09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
That's sad :(

Torontotonto
09-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Sad news.

Brings back memories playing in the Clarilea Westview league many years ago, and when the robbie tournament was in it's beggining and what it has become today.

RIP Mr. Frow

Fort York Redcoat
09-19-2011, 11:20 AM
RIP and thank you for your service to the sport and especially the country.

akoto
09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
RIP Mr Frow. I did not know you but your contributions to soccer in the GTA will not be forgotten. Best wishes to his family.

TOBOR !
09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
I used to play with Craig Frow... this is going back a long time.

Sunday mornings at Sir John A. MacDonald.

In it's heyday St. Andrew's was one of the largest clubs in the world - a testament to John no doubt.

I believe Craig got involved in Club administration at some point as well.

My condolences to the Frow family.

Canada72
09-19-2011, 11:31 AM
RIP John Frow - I didn't know you personally but the money donated to Cystic Fibrosis over the years from The Robbie will never be forgotten. Thank You.

TOBOR !
09-19-2011, 11:32 AM
... incidentally, how is someone like John Frow a RPB and we don't know about it ?

TFC07
09-19-2011, 11:44 AM
R.I.P Mr. Frow!

Gazza
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
That name takes me back. I have a picture taken with him at Sir John A. MacDonald.

The amount of money he helped raise for medical research is astounding. He is a Canadian Soccer Icon and he will be sorely missed.

R.I.P Mr. Frow

JuliquE
09-19-2011, 12:49 PM
RIP and thank you for your service to the sport and especially the country.
My sentiments, exactly.

Thank you and God bless.

Alonso
09-19-2011, 01:18 PM
... incidentally, how is someone like John Frow a RPB and we don't know about it ?

I'm assuming Johntv meant an Original Red Patch, or Red Patch Devil with the Canadian Army, not an RPB.

As in this thread here: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27856

TOBOR !
09-19-2011, 01:41 PM
^ ok. The post is confusing if that's what he meant, but makes total sense.

johntv
09-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Sorry guys,I meant of course a Red Patch Devil.

johntv
09-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I was at the funeral home tonight and noticed flowers sent by TFC.The sons Craig and Brian were very surprised and really appreciated this gesture.
Thanks Paul.

JuliquE
09-22-2011, 04:14 AM
I was at the funeral home tonight and noticed flowers sent by TFC.The sons Craig and Brian were very surprised and really appreciated this gesture.
Thanks Paul.
Classy, from them.

Glad to hear about things, like this.. however unfortunate the general circumstance is.

scooter
09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
rip
sounds like he had a good innings
and contributed to the community to boot
god bless

Sullivan
09-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Had the distinct pleasure of interacting with Mr Frow in my formative years of local youth football. One such occassion occured over a very wet and cold October weekend in 78 or 79. Mr Frow showed up at a coaching clinic with coffee cups and a 5 gallon coffee urn. Enough for all 24 coaches, from which only 5 or 6 were known to Mr Frow. The man took it upon himself to make sure we all had warm coffee that weekend. He didn't need to be there and certainlly didn't have to be there, but there he was, Saturday & Sunday.

That was the kind of man he was.

I shared the news with my father as he knew him well.
My father doesn't swear much, last time it was when John Wimbs passed away. Special men dedicated to the game.

Mr Frow's contribution to youth football defined altruism.

RIP

Batman
09-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Had the distinct pleasure of interacting with Mr Frow in my formative years of local youth football. One such occassion occured over a very wet and cold October weekend in 78 or 79. Mr Frow showed up at a coaching clinic with coffee cups and a 5 gallon coffee urn. Enough for all 24 coaches, from which only 5 or 6 were known to Mr Frow. The man took it upon himself to make sure we all had warm coffee that weekend. He didn't need to be there and certainlly didn't have to be there, but there he was, Saturday & Sunday.

RIP

That story says a lot about the man.

RIP John

Batmam