PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain why the first half was silent?

jayeden
09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Please..

billyfly
09-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Just posted this in the post-game as well.

rocker
09-17-2011, 04:07 PM
very strange. only chant i remember hearing was the Dichio song.

even when we were up 2-0 chants died off pretty fast.

Was it too early a game to really get the juices flowing?

TFC Cityboy
09-17-2011, 04:34 PM
I was wondering if there was some kind of protest...really quiet. Stayed that way til 113;s capo showed up. Is everyone in 111-113 such a sheep they cannot start a chant without a capo?
Very strange day.

London
09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
was no protest.

flatpicker
09-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Half the people were protesting the fact that the other half didn't want to protest.
So the other half were insulted by this protest and stayed quite to show them who's boss.

denime
09-17-2011, 04:41 PM
no protest,1st half was dull,boring and put most of people to sleep.

We are not machines that sing and chant for 90 minutes regardless what's going on ,I think it was obvious that most of people just watched the game and spontaneously reacted with silence.

Keyman
09-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Everything is going to shit!

billyfly
09-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Half the people were protesting the fact that the other half didn't want to protest.
So the other half were insulted by this protest and stayed quite to show them who's boss.

Laugh if you will but this was really happening.

billyfly
09-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Everything is going to shit!

You're mad that when u showed up no one responded to you. This is not a shot at you Keyman.

I do think that this day was inenvitable.

Keyman
09-17-2011, 04:48 PM
You're mad that when u showed up no one responded to you. This is not a shot at you Keyman.

I do think that this day was inenvitable.

Haha no I'm not mad. My personal opinion was definitely overridden by the majority, and I have no problem with that. I thought I'd give it a shot when I arrived, but it was clear after talking to others that it just wasn't going to fly. Sometimes silence is effective and necessary I guess.

billyfly
09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
It was erry.

London
09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
the guys in 110 that called rpb fags and bitches for not entertaining them.

go fuck yourselves

billyfly
09-17-2011, 04:53 PM
What happened with that girl at the top of th stairs and Fabio or Elio had to file a report of something.

Ayone know?

Globetrotter
09-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Well, it's not season 1 anymore and there's a lot of empty red seats. Guess Bill Archer was right.

Roca
09-17-2011, 04:57 PM

go fuck yourselves

Didn't hear any of that in row 22. Where was that happening?

Cheers

London
09-17-2011, 04:58 PM
what this says to me is everyone relies on others to start stuff. been the trend since day 1.

maybe people should have started chants rather than yelling and swearing at us to start chants.

London
09-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Didn't hear any of that in row 22. Where was that happening?

Cheers

first few rows of 110, everyone heard them, they even came over at half and called people fags on the concourse

rocktml
09-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Fucking joke today.

LOUD AND PROUD!!!!!!!! OR STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmokedPanda
09-17-2011, 05:06 PM
my brother said people in 114 we're chanting red patch sucks as well in the first half

London
09-17-2011, 05:08 PM
my brother said people in 114 we're chanting red patch sucks as well in the first half

again more idiots that would rather be fuckheads than start a chant

eustacchio
09-17-2011, 05:14 PM

go fuck yourselves

the guys chanting 'the Red Patch sucks' in the first half were pretty silent in the second.

eustacchio
09-17-2011, 05:15 PM
what this says to me is everyone relies on others to start stuff. been the trend since day 1.

maybe people should have started chants rather than yelling and swearing at us to start chants.

see my previous post.

TOBOR !
09-17-2011, 05:20 PM
I watched the game on the TV and put it all down to TSN's microphone placement, but if it was apparent at the field as well, then that can't be it.

It looked like a decent game to be at, IMO.

Furtado91
09-17-2011, 05:23 PM
it was a pretty good game to be at. Although im sure there were others which were more exciting, since this was my first game, It was a great experience and im glad im apart of this group.

Torontotonto
09-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Fuck those looser at the bottom of 110/111.
Never heard fag, but did hear them chanting RPB suck. Gave them the 1 finger salute. Fuckin guys are more interested in watching us chant, sing, etc. than watching the game.
Must be great entertainment value, wonder if they called the BMO hotline number to compain. :incazzato:

SmokedPanda
09-17-2011, 06:02 PM
well ML$E did use us in their advertisements so i guess those guys did expect to be entertained by us... good thing the soccer game out shined the supporters group today :)

billyfly
09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Since we are telling people off...

STOP WEARING OTHER CITY'S STUFF TO TFC games at BMO!

Ricky_Portugal
09-17-2011, 06:55 PM
As far as I know from what I heared on rpbs twitter there was no protest

Klinsmann
09-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Look how many people were in the stadium when I arrived!!!
At least it filled up by the 2nd half!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6189/6157237378_744f6294e1_b.jpg

Mikey
09-17-2011, 07:15 PM
It doesnt matter...THE TEAM WON!!!

jazzy
09-17-2011, 07:18 PM
the guys chanting 'the Red Patch sucks' in the first half were pretty silent in the second.

these guys were near me ..with few of them it almost came to blows at the beginning of the season..due to their overall negativety towards the players,...A couple were new, but they seemed to know the chants...I wonder if they even frequent this board. a blonde Richy Rich frat boy with glasses...I won't forget you!..was basically the mouth to them all. I am sick of fans who want to shout, insult their OWN fans/team or whatever, just to be the centre of attraction...look at me...I can't hold my booze(sic)....Again I could have gotten into it..but it's me against (only the bad apples) in 3rd, 4th, 5th 6th /row.(in110)..not good odds but more importantly I want to watch a soccer game and revel in good folks, enjoying themselves....very weird people today...it's a shame some fans?, are so angery with their life that they have to shit on everything around them!

Blazer
09-17-2011, 07:25 PM
For me personally: (and as a five yr. STH’er entitled to his opinion on the issue)

I passed on the game today and found something more enjoyable to do with my time – I just can’t be excited about a team that’s no better now than they were in season one. Maybe more empty seats will prompt a greater appreciation for us supporters and encourage the team to consider building something of significant consequence?!

I’m growing tired of seeing new faces. The crowd these days aren’t necessarily football fans first but instead people who want to experience the hype that was established in seasons one and two – and that hype has really dwindled in two years as a result of losing. If I had a buck for every time I’ve heard, “it’s not as crazy in here as I thought it would be/heard about” I could have a nice night out on the town with my collection of experiences.

Our chanting isn’t what it used to be. Again because of losing but foremost because of a standard that just isn’t set. We drink too much and we shout too much. We’ve regressed dramatically over the years and frankly we’re no longer the envy of the league – we’re not even close in fact. Sometimes I'd rather hear the sounds of the game than call myself a part of the chanting mess.
That’s why it’s quiet. Winning solves everything of course.

jazzy
09-17-2011, 07:30 PM
For me personally: (and as a five yr. STH’er entitled to his opinion on the issue)

I passed on the game today and found something more enjoyable to do with my time – I just can’t be excited about a team that’s no better now than they were in season one. Maybe more empty seats will prompt a greater appreciation for us supporters and encourage the team to consider building something of significant consequence?!

I’m growing tired of seeing new faces. The crowd these days aren’t necessarily football fans first but instead people who want to experience the hype that was established in seasons one and two – and that hype has really dwindled in two years as a result of losing. If I had a buck for every time I’ve heard, “it’s not as crazy in here as I thought it would be/heard about” I could have a nice night out on the town with my collection of experiences.

Our chanting isn’t what it used to be. Again because of losing but foremost because of a standard that just isn’t set. We drink too much and we shout too much. We’ve regressed dramatically over the years and frankly we’re no longer the envy of the league – we’re not even close in fact. Sometimes I'd rather hear the sounds of the game than call myself a part of the chanting mess.

your points have merit, although I will always enjoy the live games, along with the team, hopefully these are bumps in the road......

Blazer
09-17-2011, 07:39 PM
^ I hope so too. I've poured my heart, soul, and hard earned money into this organization and I feel like I've been taken for granted. Unfortunately there are thousands more like me.

adamdz
09-17-2011, 07:58 PM
first half was the future of tfc support if things (both on and off the field) continue the way they have been.

Pookie
09-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Seems more than just being quiet for no reason.

No drum. No capos. That applies to NEE, U-Sector and RPB. If it wasn't coordinated, it sure looked it.

If there was no purpose and it was simply a factor of key individuals missing then there should be a lot of mirror looking. The game was the quietest outside of the MLSE protest game last year.

adamdz
09-17-2011, 08:03 PM
our drum being missing was due to storage issues. Not sure what happened with NEE but it looked like many disappeared after the half.

London
09-17-2011, 08:12 PM
our drum being missing was due to storage issues. Not sure what happened with NEE but it looked like many disappeared after the half.

barry and jarrod split our locker

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/05/storage_wars_a_l.jpg

Darlofletch
09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
ben rycroft on twitter.

People asked tonight what happened in the first half with the support - the effort was meant to reflect the effort Wednesday @BobbyBrizzo
callitfootball 2 hours

and

Your crowd might be primarily paid for by casuals but when they (the casual) start demanding atmosphere understand the value ...

and

I was in 113. Odd. More about saying we care but not blindly. Wasn't even organized. But it was meant as your effort reflects ours

Darlofletch
09-17-2011, 08:50 PM
sounds like u sector were grumpy and pissed off rather than organisedly protesting.
should be interesting to see what duane rollins has to say given his 'you support not matter what' lectures in the past.

Ricky_Portugal
09-17-2011, 09:01 PM
What everyones forgetting is that at the end of the day we are supporters so we have to stand behind our club thru the good and the bad otherwise we are as casuals as the rest maybe if we didn't have management issues from day one we would be in a much better position but the top brass at mlse don't give a fuck about us as supporters not just of the club but of the sport aswell but imo as supporters we should always support the club our own players expect us to

james
09-17-2011, 09:03 PM

ya Portland, seattle have blown us out of the water. And tho i hate columbus and there stadium is half empty every game but i think there supporters for the most part are actually quite a bit louder then us. Even KC or Chicago can have loud fans sometimes. Any fans in the league was louder then TFC fans today.

ya but the biggest reasons for decline in atmosphere over the years is price raises, security and strict rules (stopping fans bringing in flags, banners exc.) and shit performance on the field and revolving door of players, no one knows whos on the team any more, many fans are pissed off and couldnt be bothered with it all anymore.

james
09-17-2011, 09:09 PM
dead quiet today. Was embarrisment. I herd the drum and flags exc. are kept in a locker and the locker wouldnt open?

But why was there no capos till the 2nd half??

Whoop
09-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I thought capos weren't needed?

ArmenJBX
09-17-2011, 09:11 PM
barry and jarrod split our locker

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/05/storage_wars_a_l.jpg

YUUUUUUUUUUUP!

http://img.poptower.com/pic-36065/dave-hester-storage-wars.jpg?d=1024

Blazer
09-17-2011, 09:26 PM
ya Portland, seattle have blown us out of the water. And tho i hate columbus and there stadium is half empty every game but i think there supporters for the most part are actually quite a bit louder then us. Even KC or Chicago can have loud fans sometimes. Any fans in the league was louder then TFC fans today.

ya but the biggest reasons for decline in atmosphere over the years is price raises, security and strict rules (stopping fans bringing in flags, banners exc.) and shit performance on the field and revolving door of players, no one knows whos on the team any more, many fans are pissed off and couldnt be bothered with it all anymore.

I don’t want to be loud. We're loud when we want to be. I want to sound like a collection of people who care about what they do and do it to the envy of others. It's rare to see beer in the stadiums with exceptional supporters (or at least in the seats) because people care about their perfomance moreso than their sobriety. We're just a collection of drunks really.

I’ve been relatively happy with ticket prices and security/rules and don’t believe either to be the issue here.

The revolving door I’m happy with because it suggests that the team is forever bringing in new people presumably to make the squad better. The problem is, the players haven’t been improving and the team is no better off today than they were in season one. That’s the problem … losing.

Blazer
09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
I thought capos weren't needed?

Capos are absolutely needed - they're critical really. It’s the drums that need to go.

billyfly
09-17-2011, 09:32 PM
I like the drums. Wouldn't mind a few horns either.

Also, I'd like a really witty, hateful chant against MTL and Columbus that we can sing even when we aren't playing them.

Blazer
09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
The drums are always out of rhythm/sync and for the collection of newbies to the game of chanting in this city, we need rhythm. We’re not getting any better without it Billy.

Jeff s
09-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Hard to chant when morale is low.

For me to chant, I need to be pumped by something. Give me a good scoring chance, good form, win, anything. But they don't. Instead we're basically close to being out of the play off race, play so dam boring that it takes over 20-30 mins just to see a half goal scoring opportunity.

Even when we took the lead, it was hard to get in it personally. Just knowing that the season is virtually over. I expected this in league. But if it happens in the CL game than I wouldn't know the reason.

Love how people bitch about us not chanting though. They can't start one themselves? Didn't know I was getting paid to do entertain them. Bet these are the same people who brag to their friends how they are part of the supporters section yet don't contribute shit.

When you go 5 years straight and seeing no progress, hard to go to a game excited.

billyfly
09-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Can't we hire somebody?

Brooker
09-17-2011, 09:46 PM
sounds like u sector were grumpy and pissed off rather than organisedly protesting.
should be interesting to see what duane rollins has to say given his 'you support not matter what' lectures in the past.

do people really need to take shots like this? what good does it do?

i don't have a dog in this type of fight, but it's disappointing to see. it's a perfect example of why some people don't join supporters groups.

Blazer
09-17-2011, 09:46 PM
^ Delete that post Billy. You'll get me in trouble. My intention wasn’t to single certain guys out. I appreciate that our drummers give up the view of the game to bring us a beat, but I’d rather them turn and join us at this point.

Blazer
09-17-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm very serious. I wasn't pointing fingers and don't want people offended. Someone's gonna take my post the wrong way but at least there were no names or finger pointing. Please and thanks for deleting.

mightydrm
09-17-2011, 10:02 PM
My take: they beat our nemisis Columbus and then the league champs Colorado, in a row. I enjoyed it. The whiners can bugger off.

Huyton
09-17-2011, 10:11 PM
This was taken today right after the National Anthem.

As you can see...a mere moments before the game, there are vast swathes of the stands completely empty. Entire rows of 112 and 113 with no-one there.

Very few people watching the warm-up, a couple more to listen to the announcement of the starting line-up, and maybe a hand-ful more for the national anthem.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=666&d=1316314770

Pookie
09-17-2011, 10:32 PM
If this was indeed silence related to "effort" then we should be embarrassed to call ourselves supporters.

Less than 7 days ago, this team walks into columbus, frickin columbus and knocks this piss out of them at home. The first time EVER in our history.

They travel to Mexico a few days later play a much stronger side at altitude and put up a stinker.

Is this a what have you done for me lately group???

If you need something other than the club to sing about, no one has the lungs to acknowledge and congratulate the team for the effort and result in Ohio... 7 days earlier????

If that's the case, I'll keep my membership fee saved for an 8 pack of Guinness next year.

Jack
09-17-2011, 10:48 PM
First of all, let's not get overly dramatic about one shitty game of support. The sky isn't falling, though it may be staggering a bit.

There is a certain fatigue factor, I think. There are some off-field issues that really should be dealt with off the field and there is a lot of frustration. It came down to what was probably one of our low points in the short history of 112 and surrounding areas.

Time for a step back and look at why we do what we do? Time to remember the joy of supporting our team and singing our hearts out?
I think a bit of self-examination needs to happen.

And if people in 110 or 114 think we suck, I firmly believe they should choke on a fat donkeydick.

Whoop
09-17-2011, 10:56 PM
It's called indifference.

It's a disease that happens very slowly over time, not all at once. Indifference is more susceptible to schizophrenic results.

And even though league wise the results have been better, the FO is finally reaping what they sowed.

As others have pointed out when faced with the prospect of a meaningless game in the middle of an afternoon, with the subway line shut down, the DVP shut down, and lack of momentum (the last TFC home game being 3 weeks ago) people just decided to stay home instead or do other things.

Is Paul Beirne going to blame the weather again like he did at the beginning of the season when attendance was low? Or are they going to print some more books for the season ticket holders?

And do supporters have to sing and dance for everyone else?

I think this was just the manifestation of a number things.

AL-MO
09-17-2011, 11:38 PM
was no protest.

^ What this guy said.

go fuck yourselves

Weird phenomenon how some people in that stadium expect us to be their entertainment.

Mango Kid
09-17-2011, 11:55 PM

I didn't hear a single thing to that effect in 114, and it was dead quiet other than me wondering aloud when we became the Rogers Centre or the ACC.

DichioTFC
09-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Weird phenomenon how some people in that stadium expect us to be supporters.

/Fixed

I stand by what I wrote in the game thread. This was the first home game after winning a historic double. It was shameful and embarrassing for everyone in south end and 127. No chanting in the first half and then we sing when we're winning? Ridiculous.

Fucking hell, we got tourists in 225 to start chants. Why could people in the south end start their own?

What's the point of being a member? RPB is no longer a supporter group.

DichioTFC
09-18-2011, 12:14 AM
What everyones forgetting is that at the end of the day we are supporters so we have to stand behind our club thru the good and the bad otherwise

This.

If this was indeed silence related to "effort" then we should be embarrassed to call ourselves supporters.

Less than 7 days ago, this team walks into columbus, frickin columbus and knocks this piss out of them at home. The first time EVER in our history.

They travel to Mexico a few days later play a much stronger side at altitude and put up a stinker.

Is this a what have you done for me lately group???

If you need something other than the club to sing about, no one has the lungs to acknowledge and congratulate the team for the effort and result in Ohio... 7 days earlier????

If that's the case, I'll keep my membership fee saved for an 8 pack of Guinness next year.

And That.

ASK NOT WHAT THE CLUB HAS DONE FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THE CLUB.

Red Rat
09-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Capos are absolutely needed - they're critical really. It’s the drums that need to go.

yes Blazer is the drums that need to go.
Drummers get the fuck out.
Capos get the fuck out
Flag idiots get the fuck out
People that bitch at all of the above, get the fuck out

this explains why the south end why so dead tonight.

yea get the fuck out.

here is one for you Blazer

:drum::canada::scarf:

Nodoubtguy
09-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Why are people all worked up about who was (or wasn't) there on time or sang or cheered and who didn't?

Worry about what you do game in and game out and thats it. I don't look to the person beside me to judge myself against. I don't look to 112 for every thing. I don't care who is in the seat behind me. I go for TFC....and nothing will change that for me.

Go to the game (or bar or watch from home if you can't make it)....and just be the best supporter you can be. If everyone just worries about what themselves....we will be miles ahead. People get way to caught up in the actions (or lack thereof) of others.

AL-MO
09-18-2011, 12:46 AM
/Fixed

I stand by what I wrote in the game thread. This was the first home game after winning a historic double. It was shameful and embarrassing for everyone in south end and 127. No chanting in the first half and then we sing when we're winning? Ridiculous.

Fucking hell, we got tourists in 225 to start chants. Why could people in the south end start their own?

I think we are really asking the same question Nav...

AL-MO
09-18-2011, 12:48 AM

What we need is GOOD drums. (and its still a work in progress - people are trying though) Drums keep the beat and the rhythm of the chant.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 01:03 AM
^ People have been trying for 5 years. It’s not getting any better. You’re right, drums are supposed to keep a beat or a rhythm. Our drum however ... is broken. :(

lobo
09-18-2011, 02:17 AM

As you can see...a mere moments before the game, there are vast swathes of the stands completely empty. Entire rows of 112 and 113 with no-one there.

Very few people watching the warm-up, a couple more to listen to the announcement of the starting line-up, and maybe a hand-ful more for the national anthem.

and your pic captured the one and only flag in the whole south east corner ... guess that guy didn't get the memo

great game, loved it, even the sunburnt face and hoarse throat, wonderful day

Mikey
09-18-2011, 05:51 AM
C'mon, did anyone notice that TFC won the game....isn't that supposed to be the focus?

prizby
09-18-2011, 06:21 AM

The drums are always out of rhythm/sync and for the collection of newbies to the game of chanting in this city, we need rhythm. We’re not getting any better without it Billy.

if you have ever capod, you'd know you need the drum

the drum is needed because it keeps the rhythm

the issue is you have casuals and others who still haven't figured out how to follow the drums beat

And if people in 110 or 114 think we suck, I firmly believe they should choke on a fat donkeydick.

!+1!

denime
09-18-2011, 06:32 AM

Scanners did not work at one point,I had people in my section coming late and all of them where pissed,some of them waited 15+ minutes to get in.

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 06:48 AM
jeeze...... here's a simple fact guys....

some days are better than others, and for no reason other than "some days are better than others"

There was kind of a 'perfect storm' effect that just took some of the energy away. We didn't have the drum, we (and 113) didn't start a capo in the stands, it was an early start, our last game was a bad loss for the one thing we're still playing for..... shit happens.

having said that - we are there to support the team, but we are NOT paid cheerleaders or in ANYWAY accountable to the other people in the stadium. We aren't there to "provide atmosphere". Some days are better than others.

As for the people in 110 trying to chirp at us.... glad to see it worked so well for you. Eventually they just started yelling at the people in the middle of 110 who choose to sit, and all that was accomplished as a load of bad vibes.

here's a thought - if you find yourself at BMo, yelling at another person in the stands (who's wearing the same colour as you) then you really need to look in the mirror and ask "What's the real problem here?" Because there's a good chance, it's you.

Pookie
09-18-2011, 07:12 AM
^ Agreed with some of it. Folks chirping 112 have to figure out their own reasons for being at the game.

As for this:

"having said that - we are there to support the team, but we are NOT paid cheerleaders or in ANYWAY accountable to the other people in the stadium. We aren't there to "provide atmosphere".

... I'd disagree with your perspective.

Our Charter is pretty basic in that we exist to support Toronto FC. By default, folks are going to look at us in amazement or to us for guidance to help them encourage folks in their section to join in. Whether that makes us feel like a side show or not, it is what it is.

It's pretty basic, we show up, in a group, to support the team on the field.

That's what the 112 ticket movement was about. We read countless posts about "families and soccer moms", about supporter controlled sections and other opinions as to why we are different. Simply put if you want to be different than section 108 then you have to be different than section 108. Period.

"In the sun, in the rain
We will always call your name
Through the thick and the thin
We are loyal to the end"

Perhaps we should all remember those lyrics or simply change them:

"In the sun, but not before 7 pm
We will sing, right near the end
Through the week, and if the last game was a win
You should have heard how good we've been"

It really is a defining moment for our group and I agree with Jack in that there are a number of "off field" issues that need to be discussed and worked through. Ideally, there will be a forum to do that.

Yesterday, whatever the reasons, was a terrific game at home for our side and as a group, we get a "F" for our support.

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 07:44 AM
but who's grading us?

We all know that the support could have been better yesterday, but when someone (not you, but thinking of the 110 pricks and random facebook asshats) decides that they deserve to judge the group's efforts..... well they can get fucked.

not every game is going to be an 'A+' effort, but from where I'm standing, there are very, very few people who have earned the right to call us out on a sub-par day.

"oh those red patch fags are protesting and refusing to sing" - actually no.... we're just singing as much as everyone else.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Priz - A good capo (and we’ve had a couple in the past) doesn’t need a drum. It’s why you don’t hear them in some of the loudest stadiums in the world – because capos have full control with what they’re doing.

The drum, although never the intention, works in an adverse effect at BMO. It further confuses those trying to remain in unison because we follow the beat rather than the capo.

The drum just adds noise and I don't think we should aim to be loud. We should aim to be succinct which in turn makes us sound a whole lot louder than we plan on being.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 08:10 AM
^ Agreed with some of it. Folks chirping 112 have to figure out their own reasons for being at the game.

As for this:

... I'd disagree with your perspective.

Our Charter is pretty basic in that we exist to support Toronto FC. By default, folks are going to look at us in amazement or to us for guidance to help them encourage folks in their section to join in. Whether that makes us feel like a side show or not, it is what it is.

It's pretty basic, we show up, in a group, to support the team on the field.

That's what the 112 ticket movement was about. We read countless posts about "families and soccer moms", about supporter controlled sections and other opinions as to why we are different. Simply put if you want to be different than section 108 then you have to be different than section 108. Period.

"In the sun, in the rain
We will always call your name
Through the thick and the thin
We are loyal to the end"

Perhaps we should all remember those lyrics or simply change them:

"In the sun, but not before 7 pm
We will sing, right near the end
Through the week, and if the last game was a win
You should have heard how good we've been"

It really is a defining moment for our group and I agree with Jack in that there are a number of "off field" issues that need to be discussed and worked through. Ideally, there will be a forum to do that.

Yesterday, whatever the reasons, was a terrific game at home for our side and as a group, we get a "F" for our support.

*Post of the year.

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Priz - A good capo (and we’ve had a couple in the past) doesn’t need a drum. It’s why you don’t hear them in some of the loudest stadiums in the world – because capos have full control with what they’re doing.

The drum, although never the intention, works in an adverse effect at BMO. It further confuses those trying to remain in unison because we follow the beat rather than the capo.

The drum just adds noise and I don't think we should aim to be loud. We should aim to be succinct which in turn makes us sound a whole lot louder than we plan on being.

I disagree

1 - the capos and the drums ARE in coordination, and play off each other. Often the capo will tell the drummer what song to start, and reply on the drum to send the message out. The drum carries to 113 and 111. WHile there can be some 'capo to capo' talk from 112 to 113, it's the drum that the front of 113 looks for (and I know this because I talk with them regularly)

2 - sure some old world stadiums can reply on capos only, but those are places with decades of history behind the chants, and really aren't comparable to our situation. And many of them DO have drums, just the crowd noise is easier to pickup on the broadcast. Sure 10,000 people singing a song they've known for their entire life is going to be louder than a drum or two, but until TFC has the numbers, it's not really worth comparing.

and if you look at some of the places with 'legendary' songs like YWNA or whatever... they don't need capos at all. Everyone just knows what to sing and when to sing it - no leading required.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 08:23 AM
They’re supposed (operative word) to be in coordination you mean, yes. But they’re not and haven’t been for quite some time. It’s a general observation that can’t be overlooked.

Two things that need to disappear at BMO? Beer and drums. Maybe in that order.

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 08:27 AM
that's your observation, and subject to your proximity.

I know that the drum and the mid-section capos (like keyman and phonzo) are very tightly coordinated. Often the capo at the front of 112 is only there for a half, or just helping to spread the chants from the mid section to the rest of the crowd. the capos for 113 are constantly in communication with the drummers in 112.

we'll just have to disagree - you say they aren't coordinated properly and haven't been for some time - I say they are better now than they have been in ages.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 08:32 AM
It is the observation of many who frequent this board or otherwise. The same way that it is an opinion that capos need a drum. Flush never needed a drum, he was a natural. And if he thinks he needed one, he’s wrong because he had the ability to conduct/project with his body which was way more effective than some off-beat and ill-timed hammer.

Agree to disagree. I will submit however that perhaps my standard or expectation has changed since season one. Maybe we aren’t as bad as I’m making us out to be so much as I’m disappointed that our standard and quality hasn’t improved the way one would expect. Again, just my opinion.

TFC Cityboy
09-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I like the fact there was no capo in the first half. Songs should be organically-driven by on-pitch events. What is needed tho is for those in supporters sections (not just 112/113) to step up and start one. Go on try it..others will join in. Guaranteed.

115 was pretty quiet too yesterday but we still started a few in the silent first half.

I completely agree that 112/113 doesn't and shouldn't need to be cheerleaders, but as for those in 114 pointing the finger, take a close look at your own section. Most were sitting down and in all my years (since day 1) I cannot recall a chant originating in that section.
Not trying to start an arguement here with 114 and I'm sure there are good supporters in there, but we all need to lookat ourselves and ask if we SUPPORTED the team yesterday (esp in the first half). This team is turning it around and I am personally excited for next season if we continue to improve.
see you tuesday.

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 08:41 AM
It is the observation of many who frequent this board or otherwise. The same way that it is an opinion that capos need a drum. Flush never needed a drum, he was a natural. And if he thinks he needed one, he’s wrong because he had the ability to conduct with his body which was way more effective than some off beat hammer.

and yet the drum was there playing the whole time he was on the stand - the drum was there in the first year too

sure you can say he never needed a drum, BUT the drum was always there. It's like saying that Bono was such a good front man that he didn't need The Edge on guitar, but that's never been the case so it's strictly a guess.

But i agree, that we should always be improving - but understand that there are sooooo many factors that weigh us down. And as much as we like to think we're independent of the team's performance, it's foolish to think that's entirely the case.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Cityboy - Chants at BMO can’t and won’t sound organic without a capo. Especially since the supporters and culture are still new to this thing called chanting, so a capo is critical. You can’t expect us to be organic like some stadiums in the world that have been doing this as a culture, as a passion, as a religion or right of passage if you will. There are still too many at BMO who do it for the good time, for the beer consumption, and for the new (and very different) North American experience that it has become.

Not until we collectively want to be better/sound better can we move on. Our focus for too long has been on being loud. And of course the beer has helped to facilitate that end.

I do like your vision though. It would be great to see!

London
09-18-2011, 08:49 AM
^^^ i think there are chants that sound better yelled and some that sound better sung, we need to figure out which ones go with each style.

i am probably guilty of yelling too much

Blazer
09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Sorry, I’ll rephrase.

Since season one the drum has been there yes, however it was a moot add-on with Flush on the stand. You weren’t listening for a beat or carrying a rhythm to the overly-fervent drum, instead you were vigilantly watching Flush’s precise cues – or at least some of us did. Speaking from my own vantage point, the drum wasn’t at all necessary.

In my opinion the drum is just one of many smaller symptoms of a greater illness – that being the irresponsible beer consumption during the game. We cannot expect people to naturally have an affiliation for a team without history. We don’t have the luxury of having the most committed fans in this city because we’re still working towards that end. Therefore, we can’t yet expect the masses to pour their heart and soul into something they can’t possibly care about more than the immediate entertainment value that is TFC.

billyfly
09-18-2011, 08:54 AM
They should play Hey Jude at the end of every game.

Pookie
09-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Chants, styles, capos and drums are all important pieces to discuss.

So too though is the apparent apathy towards the team and perhaps more importantly, apathy towards the group which is presenting itself in a variety of ways. The silence was a noticeable expression of this yesterday but so too is the ongoing issue of folks being late to the their seats. See the picture above. That wouldnt happen in years gone by.

We've had leadership and the group itself challenged via smoke bombs and flares, the boards have been less than civil between members, etc, etc.

This is a very important time for our group and again I hope that there will be a forum for these issues and ultimately inspirational leadership and visions will emerge.

Blazer
London - There are certain chants that require a shouting component agreed. But the vast majority need to be sung properly and that in my opinion is a result of people’s state of inebriation AND because chanting is so new to north American sports and their viewers that we’re still overzealous with it.

None of us had sex for the first time with Barry Manilow playing softly, a bottle of Chardonnay chilling in a decanter, and a half-dozen rose pedals scattered across the mattress. We had a brief moment in the back of dad’s car with the sleeziest broad we could find at the party.

Parkdale
In my opinion the drum is just one of many smaller symptoms of a greater illness – that being the irresponsible beer consumption during the game.

funny thing though.... the main drummer doesn't drink (at least not at BMO)

I hear your main point though - many people still expect to see "The TFC Show", and supporters are a big part of it. I think that a lot of the issues from yesterday are because of that situation. Instead of putting the onus on themselves, many people just decided to criticize others who weren't "living up to expectations". Just look at the vitirol coming from some sections towards 112/113 - people were angry that we were taking away from their "TFC Show".

dupont
09-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Just for the record, I have 4 seats in 110 and didn't hear a single person badmouth rpb. I am up around row 21 though so maybe it was just the bottom rows doing it?

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 09:06 AM
the guys in particular were right at the front. There was a big chunk of people sitting from rows 10 - 20 or so, and then more people standing at the back. The guys were all right in the front, and were spewing a lot of angry shit towards us and usector. then it looked like they turned on the people right behind them who were sitting.

like blazer has said, beer fueled idiocy really ruins a good thing.

some people act like being at a sports game give them carte-blanche to be wasted and rude.

eustacchio
It was definitely in the lower rows.

PAOK17
I don’t want to be loud. We're loud when we want to be. I want to sound like a collection of people who care about what they do and do it to the envy of others. It's rare to see beer in the stadiums with exceptional supporters (or at least in the seats) because people care about their perfomance moreso than their sobriety. We're just a collection of drunks really.

This I think is probably one of the bigger flaws we didn't realize when we started our support of the team. The idea that support comes hand-in-hand with drinking is what has brought us here. Drinking at sporting events is something more common in NA sports rather than Europe I believe. In fact I am pretty sure alcohol isn't even served in Greece and that's where I've seen the most intimidating support at PAOK-Ajax and PAOK-Fenerbahce for CL/Europa League respectively. The only drinks were bottled water and that's because people needed them to cope with the 35 degree summer heat (at night!).

Meanwhile since day one, both casual fans and some who claim to be "supporters" go to games either already drunk or to get trashed! My two friends just became season ticket holders this year and still know nothing about this team. They say they only come to BMO Field to drink! I know they're my friends but nothing sounds more insulting to me having been a SSH since year 1.

I also rather have our stadium with only 10K supporters than with 22K with only say 5K being diehards. Who cares if it looks ugly on tv, we'll be louder anyway.

London
09-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Just for the record, I have 4 seats in 110 and didn't hear a single person badmouth rpb. I am up around row 21 though so maybe it was just the bottom rows doing it?

for the record, they were yelling directly at us, we heard it and u-sector even engaged in an arguement with them.

blonde guy with glasses and the checkered TFC scarf and his buddies.

they then turned there attention on rows 8-12 in 110 that were not standing up.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Much of what you’ve said is beyond the control of a supporters group however. You first need a competitive team on the field so that the fans can feel proud about the team in front of them and continue supporting them at games. If the team (product) is shit, we can’t expect our supporters to care. We don’t have that kind of history, we don’t have that kind of passion.

The organization will save these supporters groups before we’ll be able to save ourselves. Truth be told, we’re a small small minority in the ever revolving turnstile and apathy has begun to set in amongst the masses.

Winning solves everything.

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 09:09 AM
good points paok.

lots of people still come to TFC for the party atmosphere.

maybe they were upset that 112 started off kinda subdued?

eustacchio
for the record, they were yelling directly at us, we heard it and u-sector even engaged in an arguement with them.

blonde guy with glasses and the checkered TFC scarf and his buddies.

and I swear I looked over in the second half and that same guy wasn't even facing the field (and it certainly didn't look like it was because he was trying to spread chants to the upper portions of the section).

London
This I think is probably one of the bigger flaws we didn't realize when we started our support of the team. The idea that support comes hand-in-hand with drinking is what has brought us here. Drinking at sporting events is something more common in NA sports rather than Europe I believe. In fact I am pretty sure alcohol isn't even served in Greece and that's where I've seen the most intimidating support at PAOK-Ajax and PAOK-Fenerbahce for CL/Europa League respectively. The only drinks were bottled water and that's because people needed them to cope with the 35 degree summer heat (at night!).

Meanwhile since day one, both casual fans and some who claim to be "supporters" go to games either already drunk or to get trashed! My two friends just became season ticket holders this year and still know nothing about this team. They say they only come to BMO Field to drink! I know they're my friends but nothing sounds more insulting to me having been a SSH since year 1.

I also rather have our stadium with only 10K supporters than with 22K with only say 5K being diehards. Who cares if it looks ugly on tv, we'll be louder anyway.

strip clubs are way cheaper than BMO

Pookie
09-18-2011, 09:10 AM
The organization will save these supporters groups before we’ll be able to save ourselves.

That is an extremely interesting statement. Two entities, at odds for the bulk of their existence, coming together for mutual survival.

Would love to see how that script plays out.

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 09:11 AM
The only drinks were bottled water and that's because people needed them to cope with the 35 degree summer heat (at night!).

when I was in Marseille, the only drinks were water, pops and espresso in small paper cups.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 09:12 AM
PAOK - You’ve essentially explained three-quarters of 20,000 supporters game-in, game-out. Who is this new player and who is that old player and where the FUCK is the beer guy “Dan”.

London
09-18-2011, 09:13 AM
PAOK - You’ve essentially explained three-quarters of 20,000 supporters game-in, game-out. Who is this new player and who is that old player and where the FUCK is the beer guy “Dan”.

why isn't dero playing today???

Blazer
09-18-2011, 09:14 AM
That is an extremely interesting statement. Two entities, at odds for the bulk of their existence, coming together for mutual survival.

Would love to see how that script plays out.

History doesn’t favour us. :(

Blazer
09-18-2011, 09:15 AM
why isn't dero playing today???

Haha. Good play.

dupont
09-18-2011, 09:17 AM

I never said no one was doing it. I was saying no one did it where my seats are. I only mentioned it because I was worried this was turning into a bashing of the entire 110 section.

London
09-18-2011, 09:19 AM
I never said no one was doing it. I was saying no one did it where my seats are. I only mentioned it because I was worried this was turning into a bashing of the entire 110 section.

not at all,

110 is coming along nicely in my opinion. you guys and girls up top are all good in my books

Waggy
09-18-2011, 09:19 AM
I just woke up, very very hungover. This entire thread makes me sad. A few thoughts:

It's kind of awesome that on the groups bad day EVERYONE assumed it was a protest. Its so unthinkable that there could just be an 'off' day for TFC support, so unfathomable, that there has to be another reason

As someone who has been boycotting TFC (and all MLSE properties) for a few years, and haven't been to a game since 09, I feel it's not my place to tell others how to support or not to support. That said, who gives a flying fuck what anyone else in the stadium thinks of the south end? If it's entertainment to them, if it's energizing, if it's empassioning (is that a word? you know what I mean. I think im still drunk), whatever, no-one can control what other people are thinking when they buy a ticket and come to the stadium. If people are buying tickets to games, after 5 years of SHITE from the club, specifically to watch a group of supporters bringing it game in and game out, that's pretty fucking cool, and you should all feel very, very proud. If on a bad day people feel let down, that just shows how important supporters are not just to the players but to the other fans. The south end is the beating heart of TFC, we know it, the other fans know it, and after yesterday I'd be willing to bet even MLSE knows it. Just my 2 cents.

Finally, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WE WON! At the rate the Leafs and TFC are progressing, I think my boycott will end shortly. I actually WANT to purchase new jerseys for both clubs, and am even excited about the Raps young guys whenever they play again. Plus, it looks like you guys need me out there ;).

London
09-18-2011, 09:21 AM
^^^^ id bet that TFC wins before the leafs LOL

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 09:22 AM

oh no.... it was about 6-10 guys, all in the very front.

110 is a huge section, and these guys were a tiny crew of drunken pricks.

eustacchio
09-18-2011, 09:24 AM
110 is a huge section, and these guys were a crew of drunken, tiny pricks.

fixed

Waggy
09-18-2011, 09:27 AM

I agree, but I wasn't boycotting until they won. I was boycotting because the directions of the teams were perennially spiraling down and the ownership seemed to not care a bit. I'm not glory hunting and waiting to jump on the bandwagon, I've been waiting for competency. I think we've found it. The TFC squad that's been playing for the past few weeks is easily the best squad we've had, and has beat some very good clubs. And the Leafs managed to actually stick to a rebuild in Toronto (something that was considered impossible), and should be commended for that. Even if they aren't winning the cup this year (although who has 2 thumbs and a bet ticket from the Venetian in case they do? This guy haha)

London
09-18-2011, 09:29 AM
^^^ i see where your coming from,

the hardest decision about TFC for me was the fact MLSE owned them.

( for the record, not a leafs fan)

torontocelt
09-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Cant really blame people for not knowing the players as the club is a revolving door.

Waggy
09-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Completely agree. Same problem with the Leafs, same with the Raptors. I really hope Rogers buys MLSE out. I'm not a huge fan of the company but I love how they're running the Jays*. And how they're marketing them. Instead of hiding them on random channels theyre trying to make them Canadas team. That should have been TFC too. Ah well. Maybe in a few months

*Assuming they spend 20 mil more this offseason then last. The Jays are so freaking close, if they don't upgrade the bullpen and bring in 1 starter I'm going to be FURIOUS. Sorry for the tangent (though I dunno if MLSE hating is ever a tangent that's irrelevant?)

London
09-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Cant really blame people for not knowing the players as the club is a revolving door.

if your a 1 time attendant, then no you cant, but if you got on a jersey, hat and scarf, brush the fuck up on the roster

Flint
09-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Those people who were pissed we didnt entertain them can just fuck right off...We are not here for ingame entertanment we are here to support the team first and foremost. For us supporters it was just an off-day... get over it and im sorry you didnt get your moneys worth because we were too quiet.

torontocelt
09-18-2011, 09:39 AM
if your a 1 time attendant, then no you cant, but if you got on a jersey, hat and scarf, brush the fuck up on the roster

One of the guys I sit next to had his cousin over from England and he bought a program. The team line up was so out of date we still had Attakora and Gargan, what hope do people have with learning players when this is the case?

Blazer
09-18-2011, 09:40 AM

I sure can blame them if they’re the ones coming to the stadium to get shit-faced rather than to watch the game and the players who dawn their uniforms. Damn right.

London
09-18-2011, 09:43 AM
One of the guys I sit next to had his cousin over from England and he bought a program. The team line up was so out of date we still had Attakora and Gargan, what hope do people have with learning players when this is the case?

he is a first time attendant, and that blame falls on TFC , not shocked at all about the lack of updating by TFC FO

you know what your right, when did anton morgan start playing for TFC

Blazer
09-18-2011, 09:44 AM

I tend to see it differently. If you want to attend a football match for the sake of the entertainment, by all means, come in blind and without prior knowledge of anything. That’s your prerogative, it’s your money.

What bothers me is the drunks who really aren’t there for the game or for TFC. They’re there for entertainment. They’re there to get drunk. These people are parasites and cancerous to those of us who really do want this thing to grow and develop into something we can all be proud of.

ManUtd4ever
09-18-2011, 09:45 AM
The product on the pitch will hopefully alleviate the problems in the stands next season to a large extent. A competitive club with a sense of familiarity and consistency within the roster should go a long way towards restoring the traditional atmosphere at BMO Field.

London
09-18-2011, 09:46 AM
^^^ i agree 100% about the drunks blazer, and they tend to get labelled as supporters by others some how, making us all look bad.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Meh – so many of us took the good with the bad when we’d announce to anyone that we were STH’ers. “Oh are you down in the rowdy section where all the drunks are who toss beer at the players” became a common question. I couldn’t feel 100% comfortable telling people that I was a STH’er for fear I would be labelled as a life-wrong drunk. LOL. Now I can’t feel comfortable telling people I’m a STH’er for other reasons of similar embarrassment, but I digress.

lobo
09-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Two things that need to disappear at BMO? Beer and drums. Maybe in that order.

ridiculous

jazzy
09-18-2011, 10:04 AM
^ What this guy said.

Weird phenomenon how some people in that stadium expect us to be their entertainment.

this is so true, can't tell you how many newer fans come sitting , watching for rpb's show to start, then pull out the cameras. When something's not happening
all you can hear is geez it's usually so loud here or whatever.Spend more time watching rpb's than game...seriously....AND I am shocked that mgmt doesn't admit this!!.. rpb's are not monkey's in a cage... this is my concern.....wish yesterday there were more rpb's to point out the mouth pieces with a simple who are ya!!! that would have least centered them out, without conflict.

canadian_bhoy
09-18-2011, 10:06 AM
When you set up the drum and capo stand for 3+ years, you're creating an environment where you become the chant leaders. The capo stand by it's very nature is there to lead the chants.

The group can't set up an environment where they are the organized leaders of the support and then get upset when people have expectations.

We didn't embrace the rest of the supporters in the stadium, we put up a stand and got a massive drum and said 'we'll lead, you follow'

I dint think the group can complain about an expectation that the group itself created.

FluSH
09-18-2011, 10:12 AM

I've been in 110 (top rows) on a few occassions... Great group there. I can't see them bad mouthing others. They're more the do it themselves type... Chanting even if the south is not.

jazzy
09-18-2011, 10:22 AM
We had a brief moment in the back of dad’s car with the sleeziest broad we could find at the party.

I resent this.... she was had a great personality:yum:

TFC Via Buffalo
09-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I've been in 110 (top rows) on a few occassions... Great group there. I can't see them bad mouthing others. They're more the do it themselves type... Chanting even if the south is not.

I wasn't there yesterday. First miss of the season that wasn't a stupid AM replay. A nice chunk of us at the top of 110 in that area are RPB. I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be bad mouth our own group. :) We're a pretty happy, go lucky group up there.

There are always some drunken dummys that find there way into our area in some way as a couple of seats in our area are not held by season ticket holders who are regulars. It happens. Our best remedy is to just drown them out with the drums and voices. Many times these jokers leave.

jazzy
09-18-2011, 10:27 AM

yes approx row 3,4,5,6...although there are a few really nice guys along with their kids there,...there are a number that were starting the name calling towards rpb's...sickened my day....I don't like the way it made me feel . esp when I paying $, to escape life and have FUN!..

jazzy
09-18-2011, 10:32 AM
THIS

BINGO...
blonde guy with the glasses and the checkered TFC scarf and his buddies.

jazzy
09-18-2011, 10:43 AM

never cause the blond boob was a casual as well as his 3 buddies, but always had problems with the complete row,(sth's)behind him attacking players, etc all the while wearing team shirts. like i said the front row and also behind it are people with kids and LOVE the game/team...we were quite simply STUNNED by the events and very angery. If this happens again ...first photos then I'll message security, then we'll see...maybe just maybe, these losers (sth's) in the trouble row quit next year....

PAOK17
09-18-2011, 10:51 AM

haha im preaching to the choir

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I dint think the group can complain about an expectation that the group itself created.

agreed that people will come to expect something from us.
normally we're doing our thing, and making the atmosphere better.

but if we have an off day, it doesn't mean people can shit on us for it.

some of the things yelled at 112 were worse than things I'd yell at an opposing player. There's nothing to be gained from that.

Jack
09-18-2011, 10:56 AM
/Fixed

Don't be a drama queen, dude. One bad game does not indicate the demise of the group. If we, as you implied on Facebook, only sing when we're winning, then I've been singing at the wrong time for the past 5 years, because we haven't won very much.

People need to quit pointing fingers at others and bring their support. If everyone brings their heart and soul, then collectively, we're fine. Don't worry about what the guy next to you is doing. That's how it's always been for me. Some games I have a ton of energy, others not so much. That's the way it goes. Time to bring it for Tuesday and stop bitching about yesterday.

spe18
09-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Do did you guys have the drum in the south stands yesterday? I watched on TV, and thought it was just me that couldn't hear any singing!

Nodoubtguy
09-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Don't be a drama queen, dude. One bad game does not indicate the demise of the group. If we, as you implied on Facebook, only sing when we're winning, then I've been singing at the wrong time for the past 5 years, because we haven't won very much.

People need to quit pointing fingers at others and bring their support. If everyone brings their heart and soul, then collectively, we're fine. Don't worry about what the guy next to you is doing. That's how it's always been for me. Some games I have a ton of energy, others not so much. That's the way it goes. Time to bring it for Tuesday and stop bitching about yesterday.

and this is why we all listen to Jack

phonzo
09-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Dont like it change it but dwelling on it won't fix it. Just bring it on tuesday

Phil
09-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Do did you guys have the drum in the south stands yesterday? I watched on TV, and thought it was just me that couldn't hear any singing!

We didn't have the drum due to logistical issues.

It was tough with the road closures and TTC issues.

flatpicker
09-18-2011, 11:13 AM

I didn't have my heart and soul at the game.
It got stuck in the storage locker.

j/k

;)

Brooker
09-18-2011, 11:50 AM

10x easier to win the MLS Cup than the Stanley Cup, tbf. :D

Marianne
09-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Once again, Jack pretty much sums it up nicely.

DichioTFC
09-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Fair enough. It was an off-day for all supporters, and my posts were more because I was plenty upset that I was starting chants in 225 with casuals but my group mates in the supporters section were not starting their own.

You're right, sky is not falling. My fear yesterday was that this is a sign of things to come. My hope now, after reading responses, is that last game's apathy was a one-off.

Onward to Tuesday. I'll be in a supporter section bringing it, with or without a capo or drums. I hope we all will be for the entire '90.

FluSH
09-18-2011, 12:41 PM
When you set up the drum and capo stand for 3+ years, you're creating an environment where you become the chant leaders. The capo stand by it's very nature is there to lead the chants.

The group can't set up an environment where they are the organized leaders of the support and then get upset when people have expectations.

We didn't embrace the rest of the supporters in the stadium, we put up a stand and got a massive drum and said 'we'll lead, you follow'

That's a good point

TFC1154ever
09-18-2011, 12:51 PM
See for 115, it's started being a problem since season 4. There are 30-35 of us in the last 6 rows and few sprinkled just below us that have been loud and sing every game. The problem is, there is new faces every fucken game everywhere else in section and it seems that no one knows the chants. It's a mixture of 2 things. 1) I still think the front rows in are section are owned by a scalper 2) The season ticket holders in 115 are always giving there tickets to other people and they either don't show, are they really don't care to be in a supporter sections (sitting down for entire games). Don't get me wrong, there have been some loud and crazy games in are section, but it seems to be less and less.

Heathen
09-18-2011, 03:10 PM
That first half atmosphere had been on the cards for a while now. I agree with the points Canadian Bhoy made but I've got one of my own. We have so many more games now than we did in earlier seasons. It's kind of diluted the enthusiasm somewhat especially the Concacaf Group games.
The FO has done absolutely nothing to foster the atmosphere, in fact quite the contrary. They should be encouraging people to bring flags, banners etc. not clamping down.
One thing I think would work is to make the entire South End General Admission, I think the SGs need to be front and centre not tucked away in the corners.

TFC Cityboy
09-18-2011, 04:24 PM
See for 115, it's started being a problem since season 4. There are 30-35 of us in the last 6 rows and few sprinkled just below us that have been loud and sing every game. The problem is, there is new faces every fucken game everywhere else in section and it seems that no one knows the chants. It's a mixture of 2 things. 1) I still think the front rows in are section are owned by a scalper 2) The season ticket holders in 115 are always giving there tickets to other people and they either don't show, are they really don't care to be in a supporter sections (sitting down for entire games). Don't get me wrong, there have been some loud and crazy games in are section, but it seems to be less and less.
very true, mate...very true (115/18/4). Couldn't believe how much of the section (below row 16) were sitting for the first half. Hell, my back kills me after a TFC game but I have never once used my seat for anything other than to rest my bootbag and occasional beer on (apart from a nice half time sit down and a natter).

BeerBaron95
09-18-2011, 04:36 PM

I need a hug again Jack :flare:

james
09-18-2011, 05:37 PM

I’ve been relatively happy with ticket prices and security/rules and don’t believe either to be the issue here.

The revolving door I’m happy with because it suggests that the team is forever bringing in new people presumably to make the squad better. The problem is, the players haven’t been improving and the team is no better off today than they were in season one. That’s the problem … losing.

i can tell you many people struggle to pay the new ticket prices including me and my friends, exspecially for the fact that the team sucks for 5 years, the prices are outragious.

And i get pissed off when they dont let me bring my flag in because its 7:35 and the game starts at 8, wtf does that really matter??? certain things even if they are small add up to make fans stop giving a shit.

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 05:46 PM
The FO has done absolutely nothing to foster the atmosphere, in fact quite the contrary. They should be encouraging people to bring flags, banners etc. not clamping down.

oh yeah....? then explain the confetti cannons!

;)

this is a debate that I've had a number of times - anyone in a supporters section is allowed to bring in a flag, drum, banner or some kind of visual item - but it only seems to come from the organized groups and kids.

james
09-18-2011, 05:57 PM
^ People have been trying for 5 years. It’s not getting any better. You’re right, drums are supposed to keep a beat or a rhythm. Our drum however ... is broken. :(

i love drums at soccer games. Its the best really helps keep the atmosphere going. best ever was when i went to Portsmouth FC game and they had a drum and a trumpet and wow, that got the whole stadium going it was crazy, loudest atmosphere ive ever been a part of. However ares is off beat and rhythm alot. I dont know whats the deal. Maybe we need new one or maybe even get 2 drums. But either way i deffinitly want a drum at TFC every game!

james
09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
oh yeah....? then explain the confetti cannons!

;)

this is a debate that I've had a number of times - anyone in a supporters section is allowed to bring in a flag, drum, banner or some kind of visual item - but it only seems to come from the organized groups and kids.

ya but they havent let me in before because i got to the game at 7:35 or so....its the whole half an hour thing. that gets people mad. Sometimes its hard to get there half an hour before kickoff. makes me think twice about bringing it sometimes, if i have time to get in the stadium in time.

Yeoman
09-18-2011, 07:22 PM
i seriously want to complain to the FO that those fucking confetti cannons give me flashbacks to afghanistan when they pop off.
fuck i hate those things

billyfly
09-18-2011, 07:33 PM

For the record don't dig on non Leaf fans.

prizby
09-18-2011, 07:34 PM
I disagree

1 - the capos and the drums ARE in coordination, and play off each other. Often the capo will tell the drummer what song to start, and reply on the drum to send the message out. The drum carries to 113 and 111. WHile there can be some 'capo to capo' talk from 112 to 113, it's the drum that the front of 113 looks for (and I know this because I talk with them regularly)

2 - sure some old world stadiums can reply on capos only, but those are places with decades of history behind the chants, and really aren't comparable to our situation. And many of them DO have drums, just the crowd noise is easier to pickup on the broadcast. Sure 10,000 people singing a song they've known for their entire life is going to be louder than a drum or two, but until TFC has the numbers, it's not really worth comparing.

and if you look at some of the places with 'legendary' songs like YWNA or whatever... they don't need capos at all. Everyone just knows what to sing and when to sing it - no leading required.

perfect response...one thing i'll add is they have 1000's that know the chants perfectly and can do it in unisance...i remember games where we didn't have the drum and the top half would be singing the words half a second later then the bottom half...when you have all a bunch of randos mixed in with regulars, it just won't be the same until everyone becomes a regular

It is the observation of many who frequent this board or otherwise. The same way that it is an opinion that capos need a drum. Flush never needed a drum, he was a natural. And if he thinks he needed one, he’s wrong because he had the ability to conduct/project with his body which was way more effective than some off-beat and ill-timed hammer.

Agree to disagree. I will submit however that perhaps my standard or expectation has changed since season one. Maybe we aren’t as bad as I’m making us out to be so much as I’m disappointed that our standard and quality hasn’t improved the way one would expect. Again, just my opinion.

Flush was great and we miss him dearly; yeah he might not have needed the drum but 2 years ago, i could look up 10 rows and down 5 and see maybe half a dozen people who werent there at the last game. The turnover is huge and we have more chants and more complex chants that need the drums help to keep the beat...or else you get the issues with the upper half/lower half being half a second off each other which has been EVIDENT this year when we had NO drum.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 07:45 PM
i can tell you many people struggle to pay the new ticket prices including me and my friends, exspecially for the fact that the team sucks for 5 years, the prices are outragious.

And i get pissed off when they dont let me bring my flag in because its 7:35 and the game starts at 8, wtf does that really matter??? certain things even if they are small add up to make fans stop giving a shit.

Fair enough, I can appreciate your frustration.

Blazer
09-18-2011, 07:46 PM
i love drums at soccer games. Its the best really helps keep the atmosphere going. best ever was when i went to Portsmouth FC game and they had a drum and a trumpet and wow, that got the whole stadium going it was crazy, loudest atmosphere ive ever been a part of. However ares is off beat and rhythm alot. I dont know whats the deal. Maybe we need new one or maybe even get 2 drums. But either way i deffinitly want a drum at TFC every game!

Oh don’t get me wrong, I desperately want drums myself. I just don’t want them as they currently are is what I’m saying.

smtavare
09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
I kind of understand what is going on, the losing and negativity has affected the rpb's. I can say that the negativity has been around a while and very prodominent in the forums lately!

Also, it seems that mostly a few of the RPB regulars are really the ones carrying the group, and the work load is getting heavy? Maybe?

I think we need a reboot!

Also, I think we need to do a better job with new members. I remember going to a tailgate and feeling like an outsider. I ended up talking to some Philly supporters that were pretty cool! It was easier to talk to them then to the group because every seemed to be in their own little crowds!

Also, what happened to pre-game tailgate singing, & emails sending info before a tailgate!

We use to have marches planned more often... everything seems to have died out.

Don't tell me its just because we have been having a bad season, look at our pts compared to others seasons, our new exciting style of play, and real new hope for the future!

I can honestly say that I have been a supporter for 2 yrs but still feel like a newbie!

New blood brings new energy.. and will help with the workload.. maybe we should start looking at ways to improve this aspect as I believe we have not been doing a good job at it.

Just my opinion. Your thoughts guys?

Blazer
09-18-2011, 08:28 PM
People are tired tavare. Tired of blowing their cash, time, and stretching their relationships to their extreme limits all in an attempt to remain with the team.

It’s time to start winning. It’s time for us to show ownership that we’re different. That we’re not going to show up game-in game-out and buy expensive beer and other add-ons like at Leafs games regardless of the quality on the pitch.

Unlike the Leafs, this team/franchise has a clear and distinct shelf life and that shelf life is rapidly expiring if winning doesn’t become a mainstay.

jazzy
09-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Oh don’t get me wrong, I desperately want drums myself. I just don’t want them as they currently are is what I’m saying.

offbeat drums can ruin the flow of a chant but you have to admit when you hear many countries such as the Brazilians etc, that they are mesmerizing...you do need people who understand rhythm, on the drum,.....never try too much, keep it simple

Mango Kid
09-18-2011, 10:09 PM
They should play Hey Jude at the end of every game.

Literally was thinking the same thing - a signature song at the end would be a nice touch. Kinda like Sinatra's "Theme from New York, New York" goes at Yankee Stadium win or lose.

Yohan
09-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Literally was thinking the same thing - a signature song at the end would be a nice touch. Kinda like Sinatra's "Theme from New York, New York" goes at Yankee Stadium win or lose.
Legends TFC

TFCtoMUFC
09-18-2011, 11:25 PM

Three Little Birds - Bob Marley

/discussion
/thread
/forum
/internet

DichioTFC
09-19-2011, 12:37 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/johnston-mo070115cp.jpg

Can we all just agree that it's this guy's fault? :D

TorontoGooner
09-19-2011, 04:41 AM
This is the problem with choreographed stuff, its too contained. People get used to be lead and no one wants to take the initiative.

You can't blame the club for this one, nor the fans (or anyone for that matter). It's just a simple fact of enough people being 'up' for it.

CSO_BBTB
09-19-2011, 05:40 AM
what this says to me is everyone relies on others to start stuff. been the trend since day 1...

There were plenty of spontaneous chants before the capo stands were brought in. "All we are saying is give us a goal" would be a prime example from the very early days in 2007.

denime
09-19-2011, 05:42 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/johnston-mo070115cp.jpg

Can we all just agree that it's this guy's fault? :D

Speaking of that guy,his house is for sale,he is going to KC Sporting,contract is signed,don't know what position though.(I assume missionary)

Nomad
09-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Winning won't solve anything..it will just mask the problems. It doesn't solve pricing issues, it doesn't solve security issues, it doesn't solve ideological supporter issues within the groups, it doesn't solve the divide between supporters and the FO. This is bigger than just having a winning team. Although it would ease the pain it could very well compound the problem as well.

Whoop
09-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Bang on.

Oldtimer
09-19-2011, 08:02 AM

ML$E phoned me after I filled out the survey. I told them off about prices and how I could get almost as good deals without having seasons.

Their response was:

(1) To lie, to deny what has been going on. After being pushed, they backed down.

(2) Tell me that if I can't afford my tickets, find someone else myself to share them with.

After the call, I was twice as angry as before. Way to go, ML$E.

Oldtimer
09-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Speaking of that guy,his house is for sale,he is going to KC Sporting,contract is signed

You know, even though I don't want KC to do well in the standings, I wouldn't wish Mo on them. I wouldn't even wish him on the Krew, and that's saying something.

Detroit_TFC
09-19-2011, 08:43 AM
SKC supporters will kill themselves if this is legit.

That guy shouldn't be in the league in any capacity - full stop. However, if any FO gets taken in by him, then that's on them. His track record is plain for anybody to see.

Waggy
09-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I'd be very surprised if Mo worked in this league again. Rarely are the effects of one bad GM evident to anyone who watches the sport. MLS fans aren't stupid, they saw what it was like here the first few years, and they see what it's like the past few. If he could do that kind of damage to soccer in Toronto, what could he do in a market SIGNIFICANTLY less interested in soccer?

jaahuuu
09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
not at all,

110 is coming along nicely in my opinion. you guys and girls up top are all good in my books

I wasn't there yesterday. First miss of the season that wasn't a stupid AM replay. A nice chunk of us at the top of 110 in that area are RPB. I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be bad mouth our own group. :) We're a pretty happy, go lucky group up there.

There are always some drunken dummys that find there way into our area in some way as a couple of seats in our area are not held by season ticket holders who are regulars. It happens. Our best remedy is to just drown them out with the drums and voices. Many times these jokers leave.
I didn't hear any of the shit at the bottom of 110, and it was really quiet at the top. I didn't see/hear Sparta or kaos1970, and I know TFC Via Buffalo wasn't there. Missing those 3 guys hurt alot. Also there were alot of tourists (including the one I brought) and alot of empty seats.

CSO_BBTB
09-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Some of you guys take the negativity about Mo Johnston a step too far. He played a huge part in Kansas City winning their one and only MLS Cup so far so odds on he is still remembered favourably there for that. Peter Vermes was part of their roster that season as well so he has an ex-teammate around to put a good word in for him. There were aspects of the GM job that he appeared to do quite well so a role like NCAA scout doesn't seem too far fetched to me. I don't think he will ever get anywhere near handling the international transfer market for an MLS team again though.

Blazer
09-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Winning solves fan apathy.
Winning solves the lacking atmosphere inside of BMO.
Winning solves this thread.

The other stuff mentioned are insignificant and manageable discomforts for me.

ensco
09-19-2011, 09:31 AM
^Agree re Mo hate going way too far.

Mo had the constraints of fieldturf, and dealing with the first iteration of how to incorporate Canadians into MLS roster rules (which meant he had Braz, Reda, Canizalez etc).... and still managed to put a pretty decent team out there in 2007-2008. He spit the bit thereafter, but he shouldn't be hated. If the hate is because of bunging, it's a fair criticism, but that problem is way bigger than Mo.

I wanted him gone, but wish him well.

Fort York Redcoat
09-19-2011, 09:41 AM

What's the one about "...sing while you're winning"?

Just sayin.

There has been some great games in 112 this year. Not many but IMO enough to keep going for sure.

Nomad
09-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Winning solves none of those. Fan apathy would have happened because of ticket prices no matter. Increasing security and putting in more rigid policies in both supporter and non supporter sections killed the atmosphere. The club sold us by saying we had a real voice but i've been to meetings and can tell you its nothing but lip service...a stop gap measure wrapped in the guise of making us feel important.

Listen...everyone loves a loveable loser. Look how many ppl brag about "supporting" some shit League Two side just so they can feel good about not being a bandwagoner. But no one likes a loser who's also a dick and tries to fuck you over whenever they feel they can get away with it.

Winning might solve things for you but the problems go way deeper.

Keyman
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Winning won't solve anything..it will just mask the problems. It doesn't solve pricing issues, it doesn't solve security issues, it doesn't solve ideological supporter issues within the groups, it doesn't solve the divide between supporters and the FO. This is bigger than just having a winning team. Although it would ease the pain it could very well compound the problem as well.

This.

There are so many deeper issues at play here.

Oldtimer
09-19-2011, 10:10 AM
The horrible reputation for bad-dealing amongst MLS players, the constant churning of the roster, not to mention 5 years of losing is mostly Mo's fault.

That being said, I don't hate the man. He should be working in an area where his moral and professional failures don't get him into trouble.

mastermixer
09-19-2011, 10:13 AM
The horrible reputation for bad-dealing amongst MLS players, the constant churning of the roster, not to mention 5 years of losing is mostly Mo's fault.

That being said, I don't hate the man. He should be working in an area where his moral and professional failures don't get him into trouble.

Just this thread alone is cause enough for me to hate him.

MG42
09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
This.

whaaaaat??

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/tfc_Beirne.jpg

Whoop
09-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Winning solves none of those. Fan apathy would have happened because of ticket prices no matter. Increasing security and putting in more rigid policies in both supporter and non supporter sections killed the atmosphere. The club sold us by saying we had a real voice but i've been to meetings and can tell you its nothing but lip service...a stop gap measure wrapped in the guise of making us feel important.

Listen...everyone loves a loveable loser. Look how many ppl brag about "supporting" some shit League Two side just so they can feel good about not being a bandwagoner. But no one likes a loser who's also a dick and tries to fuck you over whenever they feel they can get away with it.

Winning might solve things for you but the problems go way deeper.

This.

Have to agree with Nomad and Keyman here.

Winning might solve a couple of things, but the rot, so to speak, set in a long time ago.

Blazer
09-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Nomad - I’m a season ticket holder since day one and so my prices are actually quite reasonable all things considered. It’s never been a gripe of mine and certainly not a reason for my apathy whatsoever. Let me ask you, if this team was exciting to watch and was winning, would the ticket all of a sudden be “more” worth it? Of course it would.

I can’t speak to the security dilemma because it doesn’t effect me directly. I can absolutely sympathize though and see your point in how it’s helped to ruin the atmosphere. I still believe though that with or without tifos, winning would bring back our collective souls and make us vociferous again.

I don’t have a relationship (and don’t want one) with “the club”. I want a relationship with the product and players on the field as a collective sans the lip service as you put it. Again I will ask you, if the team were winning championships, would you trade it to be “treated better”? I wouldn’t.

Agree to disagree. Winning fixes my apathy at least (and many more I’m certain) and brings me back to games. The excitement brought me to the games, the difficulties experienced over the last five years of losing has pushed me away. No other factor is to blame for me.

I guess you and I want different things from this organization.

JonO
09-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Nomad - I’m a season ticket holder since day one and so my prices are actually quite reasonable all things considered. It’s never been a gripe of mine and certainly not a reason for my apathy whatsoever. Let me ask you, if this team was exciting to watch and was winning, would the ticket all of a sudden be “more” worth it? Of course it would.
Depends where you sit. MLS is not worth what they charge in many section. Teams like LA, NY, Seattle charge significantly less. MLSE themselves basically admitted they set the price based on the Toronto market. Problem is that while NHL, NBA and MLB are top leagues in their sports, MLS is not.

If I want to watch top quality soccer, I can stay home and watch TV. The top attraction to MLS for me is the ability to supposrt a local team, so I can attend live games. That has a cap because I am only willing to pay so much to watch (realistically) average quality soccer.

The unkown is whether or not winning will bring back the fans. Many people I spoke to in the first few years attended because it was an relatively affordable, entertaining day out. Winning/losing was not the driving factor in the decision to attend. Sure, some of that may have to do with the novelty factor as well, but at the end of the day price is important.

I know you have said the price is okay for you, but it's too high for many (especially outside the supporters sections)

Blazer
09-19-2011, 11:02 AM
^ Point taken, and it’s a fair one.

I was speaking more to the nature of the thread and why it’s been quiet and further to the point, why support has fallen off compared to seasons gone.

While MLSE has abused their fans with outlandish ticket pricing, many more have left for different reasons is all I was alluding to.

manitou22
09-19-2011, 11:04 AM
ML$E phoned me after I filled out the survey. I told them off about prices and how I could get almost as good deals without having seasons.

Their response was:

(1) To lie, to deny what has been going on. After being pushed, they backed down.

(2) Tell me that if I can't afford my tickets, find someone else myself to share them with.

After the call, I was twice as angry as before. Way to go, ML$E.

Similar experience.
1) Cost isn't the problem, if they were winning the place would be packed.
2) Suggested people who don't attend because of ticket prices aren't "real fans".
3) Audibly snickered when I mentioned RPB.
4) As an example of MLSE fairness, he told me several people had expected ticket prices would increase for the CCL games but that wasn't done.

deltox
09-19-2011, 11:07 AM
to me sitting in upper 110, it looked like RPB, U-Sector and NEE were coordinated in a show of silence.

the first time that all 3 groups were without flags, singing and chanting.

are you telling me that this was a coincidence?

Whoop
09-19-2011, 11:11 AM
It was a coincidence as there was no talk of a "protest" or anything of that nature for this game.

Huyton
09-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I suspect that a number of issues would be eased if people would show up earlier.

Like it or not, the supporters groups are the leaders for all supporters.

We cannot complain that people don't show up when supporters groups don't.

We can't complain that the rest of the stadium is quiet when the 23rd minute came and there was barely a ripple.

You want people to learn complex chants? Teach them when there ISN"T a game going on...during the team's warm up.

Want the team to come storming out of the blocks when the game starts? Scream the names out when the starting line up is announced...be so loud they can hear it in the tunnel.

Want to intimidate the other team? Be loud during the national anthem...let TFC know who they are playing for, and let the other team know who they are playing against.

I've read in other posts that some people don't like their efforts being used by the front office in marketing the team. This goes both ways, though. the Front Office can also use the exact same images and sounds when they're trying to sell TFC to players as a great place to play. Do you really think that TFC can attract the better players if images like the one from Saturday, taken just a few minutes before the game, are used?

Parkdale
09-19-2011, 11:30 AM
to me sitting in upper 110, it looked like RPB, U-Sector and NEE were coordinated in a show of silence.

how many times does it need to be said?

yes - it was a coincidence

why? because the factors that led us to start slowly were probably felt by the others too. It wasn't just us sitting on our hands - that was the general mood of everyone.

TFC Cityboy
09-19-2011, 11:54 AM
a lunchtime kick off with the main TTC subway line and a major highway shut down meant many arrived late. Those arriving late complained of huge delays to get in.
First half was dreadful, and that didn't help.

Some games fail to inspire the crowd and at the end of a long and largely disappointing season, I sensed many of us (myself included) were only really half-heartedly there. FFS, half the south stand was SITTING in the first half.
Can't help thinking that a 4pm or (better) a 7pm k/o would have been a more normal TFC experience.

Also, it's time for other sections to step up and generate some passion and not just look to the corners for "the show".

TO DEVILS
09-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Do you want the truth?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2011, 12:04 PM

coincidence? :rolleyes:

Carefree
09-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I suspect that a number of issues would be eased if people would show up earlier.

I've been saying this for the past three years.

People always have excuses for showing up late (Go train schedule, start time too early, start time too late, heavy traffic, parking hard to find, etc) and that's all those are: excuses. By the time game day rolls around you've probably had your tickets for several months so you had time to prepare and plan your day accordingly. If you choose to go to the game using the Go train that will get you there 15 minutes after the kick-off rather than 45 minutes early, that's your choice, but know that you're contributing to diminishing the stadium atmosphere.

In seasons 1 and 2 the stadium was full a good 15 minutes before the kick-off, which led to us starting that wonderful tradition of yelling out the names of players when the line-up is introduced. As Huyton said, this would have been the perfect time to sing the more complicated songs so that the more casual fans would have learned them. Imagine how amazing the national anthem would be if there were 20,000 people in their seats instead of 5,000?

Carefree
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
As for the subdued atmosphere this weekend, my $0.02 is that the quality of the spectacle on the pitch was the main culprit. That had to be the most boring half of football I've seen at BMO this year, which is saying a lot. It's hard to feel pumped and sing and scream when the action is so dull.

flambe
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
With regards to getting the rest of the stadium rocking.

This may already be in place but, would it make some sense initially to put a few RPB/NEE in "quieter" sections and get them to instigate chants/singing in cohesion with the supporter sections?

:drum:

flatpicker
09-19-2011, 01:17 PM

This may already be in place but, would it make some sense initially to put a few RPB/NEE in "quieter" sections and get them to instigate chants/singing in cohesion with the supporter sections?

We already have RPB spread out across the stadium.
Have been since Day One.

It can be pretty intimidating for a lonely RPB to instigate chants,
When surrounded by hundreds of people who are quite content to sit quietly and watch the game.

http://larry5154.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/jerry-and-george.jpg

Kyle_121
09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
whaaaaat??

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/tfc_Beirne.jpg

Hahahahahaha.

PB is such a DB. Ever see his twitter feed? What a self absorbed clown.

Canary10
09-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Love this idea. My section (121) is dead quiet and it drives me crazy. Except for the one heckling guy who's hilarious. If there are any RPBs or other supporters in that section I'd join up with them to get some stuff going.

flambe
09-19-2011, 01:27 PM

Agreed, I don't envy the position at all. But maybe if there were a small group, dispersed strategically throughout a few rows? I have no idea of the logistics involved in this however.

billyfly
09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
We already have RPB spread out across the stadium.
Have been since Day One.

When surrounded by hundreds of people who are quite content to sit quietly and watch the game.

http://larry5154.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/jerry-and-george.jpg

That's what happened to Keyman on Sat when he walked into 112.

It's happening in our own area.

Suds
09-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Hahahahahaha.

PB is such a DB. Ever see his twitter feed? What a self absorbed clown.

Really?? Have you ever met the guy? No need for personal insults.

If you have issue with decisions by him or anone else at MLSE feel free to comment on that. If you hate his tweets then one word - unfollow. Cheers. :drinking:

billyfly
09-19-2011, 01:31 PM
^Take that silly hat off next game. You ruined everyone's mood on Saturday.

brad
09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
There used to be pockets of folks that got things going outside the supporters sections and things were a lot livelier then in a lot of areas.

The security crackdowns in year three pretty much killed those pockets of support by demoralizing and driving out most of the folks that tried to get the atmosphere going. 104/105 used to be one of the livelier sections outside the supporters end and almost everyone that was there that used to get things going have left. Most of the people that are there now aren't interested in creating atmosphere - they want an ACC atmosphere which is what I'm convinced the FO was trying to achieve at that time.

Suds
09-19-2011, 01:36 PM
That hat is cool and you know you want one ... Hater. :D

flambe
09-19-2011, 01:49 PM
The security crackdowns in year three pretty much killed those pockets of support by demoralizing and driving out most of the folks that tried to get the atmosphere going.

OK, so essentially this initiative was kiboshed by the lack of communication between the FO the security people and the supporters groups*?

*assuming the supporters groups had made the FO aware of the situation.

In your opinion, do the FO still want the ACC fan experience, or are they more willing to let this kind of fan leadership take place?

Also, and I know this is a ridiculous notion, but would it make sense for a few of the senior supporter groups officials to be included in the security briefings prior to kick-off, so that the security guys have their proverbial ducks in a row and know what to expect?

**Assuming that the FO care enough to let this come to fruition. :scarf:

ps. I hope no-one considers me to be stepping on toes, I know the core supporters groups do a great job and I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do theirs.

Oldtimer
09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
4) As an example of MLSE fairness, he told me several people had expected ticket prices would increase for the CCL games but that wasn't done.

:picard:

They only didn't raise prices because 9,000 is already pathetic attendance.

Anyway, they way the reps are talking, it sounds like a decrease is not in the cards.

Flint
09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
For the chicago home game I was in 106 I decided I would try and capo a few easy chants and heckle the away supporters a bit. Most people there caught onto the oh when the reds chant quite well. What I learned is that there are lots of people willing to chant but in those sections you need leadership.

But before you start trying to involve other sections in the stadium we must get all the issues sorted out in supporters sections. Because like it or not we are the leaders when it comes to organized support.

brad
09-19-2011, 02:13 PM
OK, so essentially this initiative was kiboshed by the lack of communication between the FO the security people and the supporters groups*?

*assuming the supporters groups had made the FO aware of the situation.

Not really. It wasn't supporters groups that were creating the atmosphere outside in the various pockets (for the most part - there were likely members but it was not organized by any SG). It was like minded folks that liked to support their team in a vocal fashion - and it all evolved pretty organically in a lot places.

The problem was, a lot of these folks liked to stand during the games, and this caused a lot of issues with the people that didn't. What ended up happening was a broad crackdown on standing outside of supporters section where anyone that stood would get warned to sit or kicked out.

The main effect of that was that most of these folks either got kicked out, got discouraged and gave, gave up there seasons altogether or re-located into the supporters sections.

In your opinion, do the FO still want the ACC fan experience, or are they more willing to let this kind of fan leadership take place?I don't think so. My opinion of the whole thing was at the time they had wanted the supporters section to be the "sideshow" to provide entertainment to the rest of the stadium, and they want the rest of the stadium to be a nice, sanitized ACC style environment that they could sell at a higher price point.

I think its safe to say that that has backfired on them based on the current lack of demand for tickets.

Also, I can say that they've given up on having security make people sit down.

TFC Cityboy
09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
seriously hoping we have Town Halls again this fall, tho I bet MLSE doesn't have the gonads to hold another after the home truths we provided last year.
Boy, matchday at TFC has gone down the crapper SO fast these past 2 years.

Kyle_121
09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
seriously hoping we have Town Halls again this fall, tho I bet MLSE doesn't have the gonads to hold another after the home truths we provided last year.

The town halls from last year were an absolute joke. Honestly, what was accomplished? They probably thought freezing ticket prices for 2012 renewals was a HUGE thing and called it a day.

PB, TA and the rest of the TFC/MLSE clowns are a joke.

Even if they hold town halls again this year, I won't be bothered to go because I really have no plans to renew.

Oldtimer
09-19-2011, 02:25 PM
A price freeze is not good enough when the effective cost of tickets is down 30%, due to "special offers."

Whoop
09-19-2011, 02:42 PM

And I think that's why things were silent on Saturday. Nothing to do with "results" but the fact that indifference - or worse yet, people just walking away - has crept in and finally starting to surface.

Kyle_121
09-19-2011, 02:49 PM
And I think that's why things were silent on Saturday. Nothing to do with "results" but the fact that indifference - or worse yet, people just walking away - has crept in and finally starting to surface.

TFC used to be a "don't miss" thing for me. It was first and foremost on my calendar and there was no way I was missing the game.

4 years later, no results and empty promises from TFC and MLSE and I don't even bother to mark games down on the calendar anymore.

Next year, I won't have seasons and will show up to a few games. The nice thing is that TFC is no longer a hot ticket, so getting tickets to the games I want to go to will be no problem.

Anyone else feel this way?

dupont
09-19-2011, 02:53 PM

I don't feel the same level of excitement on game days but I just can't bring myself to miss games. I guess I'm a fan for life whether I like it or not!
:tfc:

Carts
09-19-2011, 02:56 PM
TFC used to be a "don't miss" thing for me. It was first and foremost on my calendar and there was no way I was missing the game.

4 years later, no results and empty promises from TFC and MLSE and I don't even bother to mark games down on the calendar anymore.

Next year, I won't have seasons and will show up to a few games. The nice thing is that TFC is no longer a hot ticket, so getting tickets to the games I want to go to will be no problem.

I don't...

Going to BMO for a game is still something I look forward to every match - I'm keeping my seasons and love going to matches...

Would I like it / enjoy it more if we were winning consistantly and challenging for Supporters Shield and a playoff run? Of course I would - and hopefully that comes to pass...

But, my love for the sport of football, my love for taking in sports live (almost any sport), and my love for the club make match-day something I look forward to, and enjoy very much... Even after sub-par results thus far...

Ageroo
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Nope.....regardless of the results I still enjoy going down for a match and not missing away games on TV.

Do I want the team to be better...of course. Do I want prices lower....of course. But like most, I enjoy the game day experience and the friends I have met through the past 5 seasons.

Phil
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM

They are going to be happening again. Once I get word it will get posted.

Joe Kool
09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't...

Going to BMO for a game is still something I look forward to every match - I'm keeping my seasons and love going to matches...

Would I like it / enjoy it more if we were winning consistantly and challenging for Supporters Shield and a playoff run? Of course I would - and hopefully that comes to pass...

But, my love for the sport of football, my love for taking in sports live (almost any sport), and my love for the club make match-day something I look forward to, and enjoy very much... Even after sub-par results thus far...

Same here. It can be a bummer to see a badly played game but my experience is still an enjoyable one that I hope to pass on to my kids. Plus I like my seats and sitting with the people around me that I have met. It adds to the game for me. I don't want to sit in a different seat every game.

Torontotonto
09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't feel the same level of excitement on game days but I just can't bring myself to miss games. I guess I'm a fan for life whether I like it or not!

Meh too.
Guess I've drank to much of the MLSE koolaid.

It's a huge leap from Dad taking me to games at Stanley Park in the early 70's. At that time it was the best footie in town to watch, the players all had fulltime jobs as well. Although I was too young, most adults brought their own refreshments which led to some pretty crazy Saturday nights when rivals played.

:drum::flare::scarf::flare::drum:

Whoop
09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
While I still enjoy going to matches and still look forward to them, like some others here, I'm not blinded to the fact that others don't and that's why Saturday's atmosphere doesn't surprise me.

Suds
09-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Saturday was an odd day all around and I don't think any one thing can be pointed to as the reason.

Those of us at the tailgate were commenting on just how dead it was outside the stadium. Usually there are all kinds of people milling around the parking lot's and you can start to feel that game-day buzz and energy. It just was not there on Saturday at all. It's like the life was sucked out of the whole grounds and it took until the second half for people to get going.

jabbronies
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Saturday was an odd day all around and I don't think any one thing can be pointed to as the reason.

Those of us at the tailgate were commenting on just how dead it was outside the stadium. Usually there are all kinds of people milling around the parking lot's and you can start to feel that game-day buzz and energy. It just was not there on Saturday at all. It's like the life was sucked out of the whole grounds and it took until the second half for people to get going.

I'm sure partial blame can be put on the road closures for that.
TTC was a bag of shit as usual.

prizby
09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

so you said your rpb?

Suds
09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm sure partial blame can be put on the road closures for that.
TTC was a bag of shit as usual.

Not so much numbers, but actual mood. I can't even really explain it.

I personally think it's Bill Archer in his mom's basement with 20,000 TFC fan voodoo dolls that are the problem. That and many missteps by MLSE over the years.

For me, I still love game day and look forward to heading to BMO. Love the game, love my city, and love to support it. And Carts lied in his post above. He looks forward to game day because I buy post-game shots win or lose! :D

Huyton
09-19-2011, 03:27 PM

No...I stand at the top of 111, and it's almost impossible to get people to sing in unison with what's going on in 112/113. I'm never sure whether I should be trying to keep in time with 112/113 or the top of 110.

Some people look at the Capo, other's try to use the drum to keep in sync, and others will just sing loud and fast/slow, because they're also trying to watch the game, particularly when the ball is in the north end of the pitch.

I, my ticket-mates, and great folks like 4evared (missed you Saturday) do our best to follow the Capo, but we know we're off by 1/2 a second or so from the top of 110.

You'd probably need drums, synchronized using the FRS style radios.

BuSaPuNk
09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
I was so sick of all the same shit from day one still going on I stop paying attention. I still love this team and wish I could afford to go to everygame but living in Mississauga at the time and travel and cost just didn't allow me at the time. Now i'm downtown gots some monies and really want to get back on the horse of supporting this team game in and game out its tough with what has happened the last two years and now the lack of effort and support even by some supporters has really frustrated me.

I'm going to try and make it to one game this year. Up in the air for next year getting even just a partial pack. If they can prove that it is going somewhere for once in an off season I will be back. Unfortunatly if it is the same gongshow it has been I know me and alot of other supporters will start to leave and throw there entertainment money in something else.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

:scarf:

Yagbod
09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Just got my townhall invite

Wednesday, September 28th
6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
7:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, September 29th
6:00 - 7:00 p.m.

DichioTFC
09-19-2011, 04:42 PM
^ Is it a coincidence that the town hall invite came the first business day after the Silent non-protest game? ;)

That. I've tried to detract myself from this team, but I just can't. Weddings have been missed, I've no-showed family events, and my fiancee knows to schedule her stuff around the TFC schedule. Hell, I cut every single cost because I was a student, but I got TFC season tickets and I'm still proud that I traveled 10,500km+ to watch this damn team last year.

No matter how much of a shitshow it gets on the field and off the field, I'll never stop loving this fucking team.

MartinUtd
09-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I burned one right before the match and that usually results in me being silent. So that's a Nedy no-no from now on.

http://d36xcvrkegf0f1.cloudfront.net/images/worlds/2756/NedRules.jpg

Blazer
09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I was so sick of all the same shit from day one still going on I stop paying attention. I still love this team and wish I could afford to go to everygame but living in Mississauga at the time and travel and cost just didn't allow me at the time. Now i'm downtown gots some monies and really want to get back on the horse of supporting this team game in and game out its tough with what has happened the last two years and now the lack of effort and support even by some supporters has really frustrated me.

I'm going to try and make it to one game this year. Up in the air for next year getting even just a partial pack. If they can prove that it is going somewhere for once in an off season I will be back. Unfortunatly if it is the same gongshow it has been I know me and alot of other supporters will start to leave and throw there entertainment money in something else.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

Sounds like winning would solve all for you too. Well said.

manitou22
09-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou22 http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=1380304#post1380304)

so you said your rpb?
No. When I couldn't get him to listen to my pricing concerns I told them he could read the RPB forum where many others were posting about the same thing.

Derko
09-20-2011, 06:46 AM

go fuck yourselves

I resent that remark, I would never call anyone a fag or a bitch, In particular a fellow RPB, it's all about unity is it not, I thought there was a protest of some sort, and was unaware, nothing had been posted on the board.
I know you said 'The Guy's in 110 that called...' but perception is reality, and your comment can be perceived as lumping all of 110 together, so be careful on how you word things please.
Now it was kind of eerie, but I was more intent on watching Football, and cheering,singing and enjoying a decent match with our group.

Hope to see another decent effort with a result tonight.

Derko
09-20-2011, 06:56 AM
And 3 cheers to all of the SUPPORTERS whom have responded to this thread with positive enthusiasm, I can't not get excited about going to a TFC match.
if some folks are getting tired of it and want to give up thier Season tickets, so be it, but I will never give up my seats. The chanting and singing and beer drinking is great and I am part of it, but it really is about the Football isn't it, or we as SUPPORTERS wouldn't be there would we!!

Mikey
09-20-2011, 06:57 AM
^ Is it a coincidence that the town hall invite came the first business day after the Silent non-protest game? ;)

LOL, can you imagine if they did run the organisations meetings based on whether or not there was singing in the corner of the stadium.....:)
Thankfully the whole 12th man is a crock in terms of affecting the teams play. I'm sure it's "nice" for the players to have some atmosphere, but 5 years of shit results clearly show there's no positive effect on our play, or negative effect on the opposition.

London
09-20-2011, 07:46 AM
I resent that remark, I would never call anyone a fag or a bitch, In particular a fellow RPB, it's all about unity is it not, I thought there was a protest of some sort, and was unaware, nothing had been posted on the board.
I know you said 'The Guy's in 110 that called...' but perception is reality, and your comment can be perceived as lumping all of 110 together, so be careful on how you word things please.
Now it was kind of eerie, but I was more intent on watching Football, and cheering,singing and enjoying a decent match with our group.

Hope to see another decent effort with a result tonight.

if you read the whole thread, a couple of us clearly state who it was and the seats they were in and exactly what he said

and if you read the thread i clearly state thet the guys and girls at the top of 110 are awesome!!!

you guys are so defensive

why the 110 guys getting so defensive???

Carefree
09-20-2011, 08:14 AM
^^^ Hey! I sit in 110. Are you taking a shot at me? :rolleyes:

Juanito
09-20-2011, 08:19 AM

I've slowly, but surely have gotten to that point. I have only seen three matches this year. I plan on being at the last two home matches with my wife, but personally, I have to force myself to go to matches now. I still like the team, but I think I come more for the RPB friends than the match itself.

I'm sure if they start winning, my willingness to come will increase. Until then, I'll be a casual supporter.

Derko
09-20-2011, 08:40 AM
if you read the whole thread, a couple of us clearly state who it was and the seats they were in and exactly what he said

and if you read the thread i clearly state thet the guys and girls at the top of 110 are awesome!!!

you guys are so defensive

why the 110 guys getting so defensive???

Just proud I guess, and yes I am at the top of 110, cheers for the kudos.
Just had a morning rant that's all.

See you all tonight, loud and proud as always

fordsy
09-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I was at the top of 114 for that game! I tried to get people chanting with me the whole game and everyone around me just looked at me like i was some crackhead speaking chinese!! TFC is my love and BMO is my happy place!!! I rarely ever get to join you guys in 112 except these last CCL games (thanks to whoever gave up their row 3 seats) but it's the one place in the whole field i would die to be in! I say fuck the haters and if you guys ever need someone to sing their fuckin heart out I'm at every game!!!