PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: They beat my prediction of 5 wins Max

TFCRegina
09-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Good Job TFC.

I'm happy that we're getting better.

Island Man
09-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Very good performance, Danny K was superb as was Morgan and Ecks. 6 in 7 for Kov and we look so much better.

Avila <3

TFC07
09-17-2011, 02:38 PM
We need to fix our backline (Centre backs) for next season.

Great win for TFC!

Island Man
09-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah 2 CB's (maybe 1 depending about Davies) will help massively.

CSO_BBTB
09-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Lucky to get the win. Winter was too slow in getting fresh legs into centre mid and Kocic was lucky not to be the villain of the piece at the end. Think he should of been able to hold onto the low cross that led to the shot that Eckersly cleared off the line.

Having said that though I haven't been able to watch a game since July and the difference from earlier in the season after all the roster changes is obvious. Great to finally have a forward who knows how to get on the end of crosses. Not a huge Soolsma fan but he was swinging balls over like the cross that led to the second goal all season. Also impressed by Avila although he faded badly in the second half. Things are definitely heading in the right direction. Key thing now is a centre half to fill the void left by Cann's injury (suspect it won't be Cann himself because the Charleston antics are unlikely to have been forgotten) so Frings can move up into a holding midfield role and good things can happen next season.

An improbable FC Dallas like late run of victories to try and squeak in the playoffs is almost certainly too much to hope for this season but if the team takes it a game at a time and keeps getting results over the next couple of weeks maybe they can still make the last couple of games interesting. Never say never until the fat lady starts to sing basically.

starter
09-17-2011, 03:00 PM
While not yet close to satisfied with overall footy quality, both goals were well executed, and positioning looked better. Team shows more confidence, as it should, but still a way from where they need to be.
On the goal against us, Eckersley backed up into the net behind Kocic, negating Nyassi potential offside position. A few minutes later on the similar attack, he dropped behind Kocic again, this time clearing the ball from the line. I still think he would be better off marking his closest forward.

v00d00daddy
09-17-2011, 03:06 PM
While not yet close to satisfied with overall footy quality, both goals were well executed, and positioning looked better. Team shows more confidence, as it should, but still a way from where they need to be.
On the goal against us, Eckersley backed up into the net behind Kocic, negating Nyassi potential offside position. A few minutes later on the similar attack, he dropped behind Kocic again, this time clearing the ball from the line. I still think he would be better off marking his closest forward.

Agreed on ecks.

Caused a goal and saved a goal. Even Steven. Lol

Team continues to improve which is good to see

CSO_BBTB
09-17-2011, 03:07 PM
On the goal against us, Eckersley backed up into the net behind Kocic, negating Nyassi potential offside position.

Main culprit was Frings, in my opinion. No need to commit to a challenge when he did. Should have kept backpeddling and tried to take the guy wide to give his teammates more time to get back. Overall though he got the job done at the back and other players made bad mistakes as well that they got away with because the luck went TFC's way those times.

Island Man
09-17-2011, 03:08 PM
(suspect it won't be Cann himself because the Charleston antics are unlikely to have been forgotten)

Hmm must of missed what happened? Explain please.

CSO_BBTB
09-17-2011, 03:09 PM
easy enough to google

Oldtimer
09-17-2011, 03:11 PM
highlights up:

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=9

Island Man
09-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah I knew that :D Forgot it was to do with the game in Charleston.

Canary10
09-17-2011, 03:13 PM
That was a tactical win. First half was boring as hell. They played really defensively. Second half they opened up. Full marks for the win. We were the better team. Two wins in a row.

RedsYNWA
09-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Great Job Past 7 MLS Games 3 wins 3 ties 1 loss

I hope people don't renew for next season as I am adding seats BABY
SEASON SIX = MLS PLAYOFFS GUARANTEE

ManUtd4ever
09-17-2011, 03:17 PM
While these last several MLS games are essentially meaningless as far as the playoffs are concerned, it is very encouraging to watch the progress TFC has made since the roster overhaul, including victories over some of the stronger clubs in the league.

starter
09-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Main culprit was Frings, in my opinion. No need to commit to a challenge when he did. Should have kept backpeddling and tried to take the guy wide to give his teammates more time to get back. Overall though he got the job done at the back and other players made bad mistakes as well that they got away with because the luck went TFC's way those times.

Frings only chance was to pull the forward down for the yellow, he decided not to just yet. He did not stand a chance of keeping up.

RedsYNWA
09-17-2011, 03:19 PM
By the way I am taking bets at even money 1-1
I say TFC makes the playoffs next year ANY TAKERS

RedsYNWA
09-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I am so sick and tired at the apathy and negativity from some in this forum let's get behind our team if you are going to post negative crap all time why are you on a supporters board CHEER UP SOME OF YOU

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT

Oldtimer
09-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I am so sick and tired at the apathy and negativity from some in this forum let's get behind our team if you are going to post negative crap all time why are you on a supporters board CHEER UP SOME OF YOU

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT

Don't worry, there's a few negative people who won't post until the next loss. :facepalm:

I thought that overall it was a good game, though not the stunning complete game they played in Columbus.

I'm looking forward to Frings not having to do D next year. The team is much more potent on the attack when he is in midfield.

rocker
09-17-2011, 03:41 PM
The south end was very quiet today, even up 2-0... what was up down south? Didn't hear anything from North End Elite either, and i'm two rows over from them.

Fun game. We dominated Colorado in the first half (I think they had one good chance in the first 45 minutes). Second half was a bit more open. The two goals were beauties.

Avila was a beast today. His long downfield cross to the southeast corner that led to the first goal was brilliant. he was tough and determined and very tidy for the most part.

We had a couple massive defensive fuckups, as we always expect. One led to a goal, one nearly did. But going forward I thought things were solid. If we could find even just one good central defender who could pass and deal with forwards one-on-one, that guy could leave Iro or Harden to do the bruising grunt work.

rocker
09-17-2011, 03:45 PM
by the way, that's 6 goals in 7 games for Koevermans I believe. Exactly what you want from a DP forward who we've been lacking forever (in the past, somebody would have missed that header or easy tap in).

__wowza
09-17-2011, 04:01 PM
i can and can't fault ecks on the goal.

he was anticipating a shot (which he had every right to do) that wouldve put him in a place to control the rebound should there have been one from him or kocic. there were 4 defenders on cummings, so im guessing he didn't expect a pass to get to nyassi. it was a 50/50, he chose wrong, and you could tell that he knew he chose wrong when the pass was made.

either way, we get a classic TFC banner on the homepage:

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2011/07/Koevermans3.jpg

also.. for anyone reading the comments on TFCs facebook, try and guess which comment i am ;)

billyfly
09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
112 was DEAD like I have never seen it before.

No chants in the 1st half except a few people singing Dichio.

Hell, even I was siting down.

rocker
09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
The substitute announcer at the stadium was funny. What's a "middlefielder"? And who is Anton Morgan? New signing!??!?!?!?!

starter
09-17-2011, 04:16 PM

he was anticipating a shot (which he had every right to do) that wouldve put him in a place to control the rebound should there have been one from him or kocic. there were 4 defenders on cummings, so im guessing he didn't expect a pass to get to nyassi. it was a 50/50, he chose wrong, and you could tell that he knew he chose wrong when the pass was made.

I just found it interesting that while he choose it wrong the first time, he did this again a few minutes later... Cause you could see him making a significant effort to drop back behind Kocic again.

JavierMartini
09-17-2011, 04:21 PM
That anton morgan looked right at home today. Brilliant Game

London
09-17-2011, 04:42 PM
The substitute announcer at the stadium was funny. What's a "middlefielder"? And who is Anton Morgan? New signing!??!?!?!?!

pointed out those exact things today!!!

Furtado91
09-17-2011, 05:12 PM
What a game to experience. It was my first Toronto fc game and got to experience it in section 112. It was so much fun. Im glad to be apart of this group. and Glad i got to meet a person or 2 from this forum. hope to meet more people and hopefully pick up a scarf next time.and we WON!!!!!!!!:scarf::flare:

Chevy
09-17-2011, 05:53 PM

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT

+1.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/g/unbranded-grumpy-old-man-kit.jpg
"Harrumph. We won."

boban
09-17-2011, 06:09 PM

But man did he sit on that line when he saw it was a pass. his reflex was lacking.

great win for the guys though. Finally hung on to one got the full 3 points.
Next year is looking interesting.

Canary10
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Avila was incredible today. What a find he is!

Heathen
09-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Deserved victory based on a very good second half. At last we have a quality goalscorer, what's that 6 in 7? shame Danny couldn't stay on to try and get our first MLS hat trick. The combination of Koevermans and Johnson is going to score a heap of goals. Avila, JDG, Morgan were all standouts but that goalline clearance from Eckersley felt like a pivotal moment to me, maybe things have finally turned around for us.

I have to say wtf has happened to Colorado? I was there but I'm wondering now if they really did win the MLS Cup now

ArmenJBX
09-17-2011, 06:32 PM
LOL woah :O
I'm in the background of the Danny Koevermans video!

Dub Narcotic
09-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I thought Harden played well.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2011, 06:55 PM
great second half, first half was terrible, first 20 mins of the first half was terrible and embarrassing. regardless great to see what we will see next year.

__wowza
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
But man did he sit on that line when he saw it was a pass. his reflex was lacking.

i agree, there was a second or two, then an "oh shit!" reaction.
i could say he hadnt played a competitive game for quite some time, and due to his red he didnt get a chance to play in the pumas game, but the rest possibly wouldve done good for him. that would effect every player different, so im not too sure.

LOL woah :O
I'm in the background of the Danny Koevermans video!

its a great feeling isnt it?
i had my "last one out, get the lights" banner that was draped over the north stand during the last game of the season last year on camera for a bit during a goal scoring opportunity. security asked me to take it down and filibustered for like 10 minutes you can see me, and three other friends standing there with no one else in the stand, i was on camera arguing with security, when they showed the game in six. it was great. :D
then they had me take it down and i moved it to the south for the second half.

lobo
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
vote Eckersley for save of the week!

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-17-2011, 07:31 PM
They should play Hey Jude at the end of every game (do they? I duck early a lot of the time).

ArmenJBX
09-17-2011, 07:33 PM
its a great feeling isnt it?
i had my "last one out, get the lights" banner that was draped over the north stand during the last game of the season last year on camera for a bit during a goal scoring opportunity. security asked me to take it down and filibustered for like 10 minutes you can see me, and three other friends standing there with no one else in the stand, i was on camera arguing with security, when they showed the game in six. it was great. :D
then they had me take it down and i moved it to the south for the second half.

I went to the tfc website and lo and behold, there's my face. :D

Klinsmann
09-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd like to see Dunfield get more playing time too.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/6156702711_389a572342_b.jpg

__wowza
09-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I went to the tfc website and lo and behold, there's my face. :D

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2011/09/Koevermans1.jpg

hahaha, my first thought was "armen's bald!?". that you behind the bald guy?

ArmenJBX
09-17-2011, 07:56 PM
RPB Represent! :D

I was speaking with Avila, got some really interesting stuff. Look for that article sometime this week :)

billyfly
09-17-2011, 09:17 PM
They should play Hey Jude at the end of every game (do they? I duck early a lot of the time).

As far as I can recall, they don't.

PopePouri
09-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't care. 4 wins out of rest of the 4 matches will probably get us into the playoffs.

Balls to the wall.

jimiv
09-17-2011, 10:06 PM

He referred to "THE" Toronto FC a couple of times as well, it did seem a bit strange.

:scarf:

Huyton
09-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Didn't pronounce Aron Winters name correctly, either.

TFC07
09-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Who cares about supporters were singing or not, we won today! :scarf:

T-boy
09-18-2011, 12:06 AM
I'll be fair here....especially as nobody on this thread has mentioned his name even once:

I think Iro had a solid game today! Didn't put a foot wrong all game! When Folan came on Iro dealt with him very well.

I know we all love to bash the guy, but lets all be fair....he had a fine game in this one.

Joe Kool
09-18-2011, 02:04 AM
I enjoyed the game today for sure. What I didn't enjoy was a few different Guest Services people asking me to verify my ticket in the middle of the game. Pretty much the exact same group of us have been there all year standing in the same spot and we have never been asked once. I figure there must have been a memo sent out to these people to shake people down more who are standing at their seats. It was kind of annoying since we never cause any shit. They need to do that kind of stuff when we get into the section or before the game starts but not while we are watching when there is nobody claiming to have our seats. I just thought it weird to do it when there are so many empty seats around. Trying to annoy the regulars that are left? Did I mention I enjoyed the game though? Everyone seemed to be on point for the most part. Looking forward to Tuesday versus Tauro. Hopefully another strong performance. Yes this is my seat.

swan
09-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Yeah 2 CB's (maybe 1 depending about Davies) will help massively.

how about cann or williams so maybe none..

Parkdale
09-18-2011, 06:57 AM
also.. for anyone reading the comments on TFCs facebook, try and guess which comment i am ;)

either the guy who said "tear the league up" or the guy talking about the lack of media coverage.

or maybe just someone typing in all caps?

Island Man
09-18-2011, 07:54 AM
how about cann or williams so maybe none..

Yeah Williams is fine, but not too sure what will happen with Cann.

dupont
09-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Both of our DP signings are even better than I could have imagined (and I was already expecting great things!)

torontocelt
09-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Great win and I enjoyed the game. Fantastic second goal by DK, well done TFC.

torontocelt
09-18-2011, 09:17 AM
RPB Represent! :D

I was speaking with Avila, got some really interesting stuff. Look for that article sometime this week :)

Avilla is fast, quick feet and quite skillful, I like him. He is though pushed off the ball way too easy, he needs to work on his strength quite badly to improve his game.

torontocelt
09-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Don't worry, there's a few negative people who won't post until the next loss. :facepalm:

I thought that overall it was a good game, though not the stunning complete game they played in Columbus.

I'm looking forward to Frings not having to do D next year. The team is much more potent on the attack when he is in midfield.

its a real shame he is playing CB as we will get the best out of him in his natural position. When and if Winter can sort out the defence we will have a good team for sure.

torontocelt
09-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Great Job Past 7 MLS Games 3 wins 3 ties 1 loss

I hope people don't renew for next season as I am adding seats BABY
SEASON SIX = MLS PLAYOFFS GUARANTEE

I hope so, the team needs playoffs bad. I really liked the wa the team looked yesterday, not keen on Iro though, that guy is so clumsy it is unreal.

PAOK17
09-18-2011, 11:11 AM
I strongly believe that we are just two centre backs away from being a good team. I've seen this before where a team can be horrible and then all of a sudden be competitive to great just by adding good CB's. Think about it, with a good CB pairing, would we have been conceding this many goals? One thing I know is certain is that since the midsummer signings/trades we are scoring at a higher rate than I can remember.

Koevermans looks like he can be the 20 goal scorer we've never had. 6 in 7 games is pretty impressive. Dare I say he's replaced DeRo's goal production (maybe too soon)?

I also like the positive attitude these 2 DP's have arrived to Toronto with. Frings hasn't sulked playing out of position when he's been asked to and Koevs (and Frings) are as passionate as anyone on the field when we score. I think that may have to do with the respect they have for Winter and the system? I'm just speculating of course

flatpicker
09-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Both of our DP signings are even better than I could have imagined (and I was already expecting great things!)

Agreed.
I was excited when they arrived,
But at the same time, I was also nervous,
Because I have seen these kinds of signings go badly in the league.

I am so happy they have worked out for us.
Hopefully they will keep playing this way next season.

Fix the back line, and I will have high hopes for 2012.

Wingback6
09-18-2011, 01:01 PM
That was the best defensive display I've seen from this team... overall... by their standards.... Even Iro and Harden were solid IMHO... and Ecks.. and Morgan were great both ways... aside from Ecks putting that goat Nyassi onside.. But it wasn't just the defense... not sure what the stats were.. but it seemed we went for fewer rash challenges... across the field DeGuz is usually good for half a dozen fouls (called or otherwise) in a game... but not in this one... aside from the card. Stinson and Dunfield are often guilty of the same behaviour... rash tackling from the wrong side of the ball.. but they were well behaved (nice shot by the former too)... It's amazing how effective and simple defense can be... when players use their heads... rather then their studs.. Well done boys... seems maybe Winter has remembered that he was a DM and is finally imparting some of his knowledge ;) Hope they can keep it up.

DichioTFC
09-18-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't care. 4 wins out of rest of the 4 matches will probably give us a respectable, non-playoff record.

Balls to the wall.

Sorry dude, I'm a huge optimist but 42 points wont be enough.
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html

mowe
09-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Yup, playoffs were out of reach a long time ago. Getting 3 or 4 wins to finish off the season will provide some hope for next year though. Shows the team is heading in the right direction.

TFCwestcan
09-18-2011, 05:57 PM

I love how DK promised goals and he has delivered, kind of laughable to think back to Mista's signing where "he couldn't guarantee goals" what the ... he was signed as a striker.

I am enjoying the wing play this year, some great crosses are regularly part of TFC's arsenal.

I agree with the poster, Avila looks like the right piece of the puzzle.

Despite this teams early season woes I am looking forward to next season already.

AmherstNY_TFC
09-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I'd like to take a moment and congratulate management on the recent run of form in the league. They did not stand pat, and write off the season when the transfer window opened. I think we'd all agree that almost all the guys brought in (Koevermans, Frings, Johnson, Avila, Dunfield) are all upgrades from the guys playing their positions in June (I leave Iro out because he has had a couple of nightmares out there-but let's see how apprenticing with Frings plays out over a year or so).

I think DeGuzman has also been more of a factor since new better players have come in. We need some better players at center half and probably a keeper ready to step in if Frei moves on in the January transfer window.

My hope was that the boys would string together some wins to end the season on a high, and give us some momentum going into 2012. Even if that doesn't happen, I'm renewing for next year. My 9 year-old son loves going to the games (he was with me for the home opener in Year One); and he is growing up with a team to support. I can't take that away from him.

GuelphStorm2007
09-18-2011, 10:58 PM
I think these guys are beginning to head in the right direction hopefully they can end the season on a high. I have really been impressed with the play of Avila, Morgan and Stinson, Ever since Frings came on board this team changed.

TheFallen
09-18-2011, 11:30 PM
lol seems like everyone forgot about Plata but since our wing depth and up front is pretty solid we got enough guys to fill up the scoring void.

Inklink
09-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Very impressed by Morgan. And Koov looks great. Johnson has been a nice pickup as has Avila.

CSO_BBTB
09-19-2011, 05:30 AM

Your link states that there is a 7.5% statistical chance at this point with 42 points. Not much to hold onto certainly but stranger things have happened in MLS so I hope the players and management haven't thrown in the towel.

maninb
09-19-2011, 07:49 AM
IMO we've got the players here to be good...let's give Cann and Williams a chance to show what they can do before we spend money on another CB...

Detroit_TFC
09-19-2011, 08:48 AM
IMO we've got the players here to be good...let's give Cann and Williams a chance to show what they can do before we spend money on another CB...

I'm not willing to take that gamble. I say still bring in a starting CB on loan maybe in the $200K range and if Cann and Dicoy are fit then we'll have some depth.

Detroit_TFC
09-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Frings is a very interesting case. IMO the positive impact he has on the team has demonstrated his value, but that contribution doesn't really show up in the stats in terms of goals and assists. And Koevermans, who looked like a dud due to his slow start and lack of fitness is now very productive. I've never been too fond of DPs, in general they rarely perform at the level warranting their pay rates. I think for these two, we are getting our money's worth.

J .
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Decent win, TFC was saved several times by chances of luck and positioning. Was nice to see our team have the ball. Morgan had a good cross for a goal. Koevermans had a good game, need more of those out of him. Next year I think he will be match fit and ready to go.

Colorado did have several chances they should have buried. Wasn't pretty I'll take it, but I wouldnt read too much into it. Colorado really looked like they were just going through the motions and TFCs desire came through.

Finally some goals scored at home was nice.

PopePouri
09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm not willing to take that gamble. I say still bring in a starting CB on loan maybe in the $200K range and if Cann and Dicoy are fit then we'll have some depth.

Those type of cases will be minimal next year because they'll be training on natural turf.

Interesting. That 7.5% is still worth it. Football is a funny business.

DichioTFC
09-19-2011, 05:06 PM
^ Funny business indeed. Because the last few games are winnable, I want the team to go for it. I just wish we had earned more points earlier in the season. Still, that 7.5% isn't a true indicator. The front page has a proper regression analysis and that indicates we have a 0.0163% chance of making it. (1613 times out of 10 million - http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS.html)

The only reason why TFC's chances are even *that* high are because DC has 34 points with (4 games in hand). If DC wins three, we're out. And they have Chivas at home, Vancouver and Fire at home.

Shakes McQueen
09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
It would be a nice finish to see TFC rapidly knocking on the door of the playoffs, even though they realistically wont. Would at least send a strong signal that this team is ready to make some serious noise in 2012.

- Scott