PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Davies to TFC

Artur3575
09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
could not see it posted yet but Kyle Davies defender from Galaxy traded to TFC for Dasan as per mls

TFC07
09-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Good pick up for Toronto.

ManUtd4ever
09-15-2011, 05:12 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4295231

Toronto FC announced Thursday that the club has acquired defender Kyle Davies from the LA Galaxy in exchange for defender Dasan Robinson.

"We are acquiring a young central defender with leadership experience and I feel Kyle will fit into our plans both now and long-term," said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter. "I'd like to thank Dasan for his contributions to our club and wish him well in Los Angeles."

Davies, 22, joined the Galaxy in May and did not make an appearance this season. Davies career began at English side Southampton in 2007 with the youth club and reserve team. Davies signed a contract with Major League Soccer and joined Real Salt Lake in 2009. He was later traded to FC Dallas in April 2009 and was waived by the club prior to joining LA. Davies was captain for the United States U-20 team that played in the 2009 CONCACAF U-20 Championship. Davies also captained the U.S. U-20 team at the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Yohan
09-15-2011, 05:12 PM
interesting pick up. stocking up on prospects?

Ricky_Portugal
09-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Nice move by toronto

Keyman
09-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Anyone know what his wage is?

On paper this looks like a good move. Young defender who's had success in the past; the one caveat being he really hasn't seen much playing time of late.

Ageroo
09-15-2011, 05:17 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/09/toronto-los-angeles-swap-defenders

Yohan
09-15-2011, 05:19 PM

On paper this looks like a good move. Young defender who's had success in the past; the one caveat being he really hasn't seen much playing time of late.

what does he play anyways? full back?

Ageroo
09-15-2011, 05:21 PM

what does he play anyways? full back?

he is a CB

Yohan
09-15-2011, 05:22 PM
he is a CB
5'10" CB. hmmm...

Keyman
09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
From what I've read he mostly plays at CB. Injuries seem to have plagued the guy but they're not lower body injuries from what I can see, which is good.

dantdot
09-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Dae32 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Dae32) Dasan Robinson
I really like In 'n' out burgers...
36 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Dae32/status/114456353468198912)

Ha.

Shakes McQueen
09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I really like In 'N' Out Burgers too.

- Scott

ensco
09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
I really like In 'N' Out Burgers too.

- Scott

Try the Animal. It's not on the menu. Secret item. Trust me.

Darlofletch
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
5'10" CB. hmmm...

we've got the big physical centre back already, let's hope he can be the quick guy with a bit more skill.

I know bugger all about him though, so maybe he's useless as well as short.

Darlofletch
09-15-2011, 05:58 PM

seems like we're doing a lot of that this summer, picking up the reclamation projects, kids with good potential who just haven't worked out yet but maybe need a change of scenery. seems to be working with avila, marosevic less so, and griffit, well who knows really?

billyfly
09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
That name is almost as bad as that pink taco place.

Yohan
09-15-2011, 06:02 PM
we've got the big physical centre back already, let's hope he can be the quick guy with a bit more skill.

I know bugger all about him though, so maybe he's useless as well as short.

Im in the cbs have to be at least 6ft school, or have jumping ability like marvell wynne.

Cuz last 5'10 cb we had was this guy named nick garcia lol

__wowza
09-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Try the Animal. It's not on the menu. Secret item. Trust me.

i have a buddy that loves to order the "hypocrite"
it's a veggie burger with bacon.. :facepalm:

TFC07
09-15-2011, 06:14 PM
5'10 is pretty close to 6 feet. :rolleyes:

Both of your CB's don't have to be over 6 feet. As long you got one centre back who is very good in the air while other CB is quick and excellent "1 on 1" defender then there shouldn't be a problem as long as both centre backs (or at least one of them) can play the ball with their feet.

__wowza
09-15-2011, 06:17 PM
5'10 is pretty close to 6 feet. :rolleyes:
Both of your CB's don't have to be over 6 feet.

that also doesnt account for ups. im just justifying height or anything, but if the guy has a vertical leap of 3 feet im not complaining.

jloome
09-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Davies started at Southhampton (as did Griffit). Maybe Winter's losing faith in American players.

Darlofletch
09-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Im in the cbs have to be at least 6ft school, or have jumping ability like marvell wynne.

and to be fair, as a young kid, Garcia was actually a very decent MLS level defender.

ag futbol
09-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Fabio Canavaro was smaller than this guy and was the best in the world at one point. Now given not everybody is going to have that talent, but we have MLS level expectations here so I don't see why it's not possible to have a servicable CB that's under 6 ft.

Hell I thought everyone would be over the idea of physical attributes by now considering the "best" team in the world fields half a lineup of diminutive guys who are 5'9 and under who consistently play the other team off the pitch.

More than ever in today's game, ability is what counts. They aren't fucking race horses.

ArmenJBX
09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO EVERYBODY IN THIS FORUM

There is a place on Queen Street called "The Burger's Priest." IT. IS. IN N' OUT. The owners owned a few back in California before moving here. It tastes basically the same.

This has been a public service announcement by me.

ag futbol
09-15-2011, 07:01 PM

There is a place on Queen Street called "The Burger's Priest." IT. IS. IN N' OUT. The owners owned a few back in California before moving here. It tastes basically the same.

WTF is this, I mean really this post deserves it's own thread... I love In and Out burger!

__wowza
09-15-2011, 07:26 PM

my brother lives right by there. their veggie burger is kinda underwhelming considering that its deepfried portabellos with a fuckton of cheese.

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT BURGERS AND BURGER RELATED PLACES.

jabbronies
09-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Burgers priest is overrated.

As for the new cb, according to steve sandor he captained the U20 U.S. Team

ArmenJBX
09-15-2011, 07:50 PM

As for the new cb, according to steve sandor he captained the U20 U.S. Team

To be fair, In N Out isn't anything gourmet anyways, but the taste between Burgers Priest and In N Out is basically the same.

tovan
09-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Interesting fact... there's a Kyle Davies playing for the Blue Jays too. Two athletes playing professionally for two different professional teams in the same city with the same name, what are the odds of that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Davies

Globetrotter
09-15-2011, 09:14 PM
So if this guy plays this season, do we set the record for most roster players used in a season? I think we are tied for first all time at the moment.

Ageroo
09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
So if this guy plays this season, do we set the record for most roster players used in a season? I think we are tied for first all time at the moment.

We broke the record I think when Avila played.....we are past the record. :)

backbeat
09-15-2011, 09:31 PM

i beg to differ

the burger priest have the best burgers, bar none, in the city - the place is packed, day and night. :hump:

i just finished having one and am about now providing this 'confessional'

ok there's a place on Gerrard just west of Jones that's pretty awesome also...the Great Burger Kitchen...

jloome
09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
We have a U.S. franchise in Edmonton called Five Guys Burgers and Fries that makes a helluva burger.

Darlofletch
09-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Went to in n out on sunset boulevard last year. nothing special.

anyway, kyle davies, here's what Ryan Rosenblatt of LAG Confidential had to say about him.

Davies never really found his footing with LA, but it might have just be a matter of bad for as much as it was his play. He's a smaller defender and for the most part (AJ DeLaGarza being an exception) Bruce Arena likes bigger guys at the back. The problem for Davies is that he's pretty limited physically. Neither big nor fast, Davies is very reliant on his smarts and he does read the game well. A star for the U.S. youth trams, Davies had some trouble dealing with the strength of grown men. Luckily, that's something that can be improved and at 22, he's still pretty young. With some more strength, he should be able to hold guys off and win more tackles, something he can pair with his smarts to be a solid defender.

Small, but not quick and relying on his smarts? He IS the new Nick Garcia

__wowza
09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
there's also a michael jordan that plays baseball too.
he wasn't as good as the basketball player though.. :D

ArmenJBX
09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
We have a U.S. franchise in Edmonton called Five Guys Burgers and Fries that makes a helluva burger.

Meh. Five Guys is okay.

There's a place in buffalo called Grover's, has a cheeseburger soup which is a masterpiece.

ensco
09-15-2011, 10:14 PM

jloome, you're on the wrong board
http://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=35&sub=101113999&page=2

backbeat
09-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Meh. Five Guys is okay.

There's a place in buffalo called Grover's, has a cheeseburger soup which is a masterpiece.

5 guys is ok for a franchise when there's nothing better around - nothing special - everything's too overly large - the thing i like about the priest is the flavour and the burgers are not too big - same with the great burger kitchen - a cheeseburger soup? i can't imagine that - they also have the 'Lake Effect Diner' in buffalo that has out of this world food...

obviously i don't know enough about Davies to comment...i just hope we do something drastic about our back 4 in the off-season because to me that is the missing piece of the puzzle....

TFC Via Buffalo
09-15-2011, 10:27 PM
5 guys is ok for a franchise when there's nothing better around - nothing special - everything's too overly large - the thing i like about the priest is the flavour and the burgers are not too big - same with the great burger kitchen - a cheeseburger soup? i can't imagine that - they also have the 'Lake Effect Diner' in buffalo that has out of this world food...

obviously i don't know enough about Davies to comment...i just hope we do something drastic about our back 4 in the off-season because to me that is the missing piece of the puzzle....

What's sad is I've been to neither of those places. To move over to soups, the Buffalo Road House here has a chicken wing soup....... it is oral sex by soup.

BTW, new CB. Yay. Chicken wing soup, double yay!

PopePouri
09-15-2011, 10:41 PM
US U20 captain. Looks good on his resume.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Interesting trade wonder why dasan never got a go. Burgers priest is alright but overpriced for what ya get imo. 5 guys is the same sorta taste better price

PopePouri
09-15-2011, 11:39 PM
His career looks similar to Marosevic right down to the waive by Dallas.

Dkolish3
09-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Good pick up I guess, TFC got a guy fairly cheap who could blossom into a either a starter for many years or a guy who could be dropped in a heartbeat with little consequence, in exchange for a guy who was NEVER going to get playing time for TFC.

Also for burgers I like the Elgin Street Diner in Ottawa. Always Open and Great Food. Very filling, main purpose of the food is to soak up the alcohol in your body before going home.

Red CB Toronto
09-15-2011, 11:56 PM
I am just happy I was able to get Dasan to sign two photos for my collection after Coach took some great pics in DC at the reserve game between the Reds and United.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-16-2011, 12:10 AM
RSL-picked him, never played, Dallas-waived never played, LAG-never played

You think we know something these 3 teams don't? Yeah right, this kid is a plug.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this kid won't even come close to solving our backline problems...oh well

TFCREDNWHITE
09-16-2011, 12:12 AM
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/09/15/caps-add-tt-centre-back-mitchell/

How come the Caps picked up someone with more pedigree, height and probably strength....not to mention they released 3 defenders....

Yohan
09-16-2011, 12:18 AM

You think we know something these 3 teams don't? Yeah right, this kid is a plug.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this kid won't even come close to solving our backline problems...oh well
I'm not sure what went wrong with this kid (sounds like injury issue) but you don't get to be US U20 captain by being a plug.

At least this kid might be depth defender

TFCREDNWHITE
09-16-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm leaning towards, no strength coupled with injuries...

Darlofletch
09-16-2011, 12:33 AM

he played quite a bit for dallas in '09, then got injured in '10 and never really got back into the team.

i doubt he'll be the answer, but it's worth a try, let's face it we were never going to be getting omar gonzalez for dasan robinson were we.

Fort York Redcoat
09-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Southamton reserves plus 3 other stops not cracking a lineup. This is not savior for this season but we'll see if he can do something more here next year.

ensco
09-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Also for burgers I like the Elgin Street Diner in Ottawa. Always Open and Great Food. Very filling, main purpose of the food is to soak up the alcohol in your body before going home.[/COLOR]

Ottawa has the finest burger in North America, imho. It's a pub in the South Market, on Murray called Chez Lucien. The place is a shrine the the Montreal Canadiens. It's kind of unbelievable, but this funny little neighbourhood place has the best burger you have ever seen.

Menelaos
09-16-2011, 06:50 AM
US U20 captain. Looks good on his resume.

So did the MVP Iro had in his...

I'd like to know the percentage of players that are passed up by 2 teams and then become something in the third.

Oldtimer
09-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Both players in the trade are the kind of professional player that you often seem to see around professional clubs. On the cusp of playing and fully living the dream, but never quite there. Who knows what will happen. They might end up being starters some day, or they might get fed up with not making that much and go into whatever they studied in school.

Fort York Redcoat
09-16-2011, 07:13 AM
plus Davies is only 22 whereas Robinson was 27. It would be a bigger surprise to see Robinson come to.

nimamalek
09-16-2011, 08:37 AM

we could use Nick Garcia right now :)

VoxPopuliCosmicum
09-16-2011, 08:55 AM
^permaban

__wowza
09-16-2011, 08:56 AM
So did the MVP Iro had in his...

I'd like to know the percentage of players that are passed up by 2 teams and then become something in the third.

why does everyone keep calling iro an MVP? where does it say that? not on his wiki, not on his roster page. you'd think they would want to put that important little factoid anywhere they talk about him.

anyways. back to burgers. south street is alright. it's a chain, yeah, but anywhere that i can get avocado and goat cheese on my veggieburger is alright with me :D

__wowza
09-16-2011, 08:57 AM
^permaban

seconded :lol: ;)

http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum/images/banhammer_forecast.gif

Canary10
09-16-2011, 09:03 AM
I concur with everyone about Burger's Priest. Best burgers I've had. I don't know why they're so good, they're so simple. I always find myself comparing when I go anywhere else and nothing is even close.

Also concur that Garcia is awful. He was on my most-hated players list for a long time. Funny I don't really have anyone on that list right now. Martina is close...

Also concur with the fact that Iro was never MVP. This thing has become folklore for some reason. He won Most Coachable Player.

jaahuuu
09-16-2011, 09:08 AM
What's sad is I've been to neither of those places.
The wife wants to go the the Lake Effect Diner soon, i'll let you know when it's happening and you can go too.

why does everyone keep calling iro an MVP?
2006 Soccer America MVP

Ben - D.O.W.
09-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Love Five Guys.

Edit: Ugh wait, that doesn't sound right. My wife would be so disappointed.

bgnewf
09-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Robinson was on a 100k wage. Davies is on 56k. Getting a cheaper prospect who is younger while saving 44k of cap space looks a no brainer in exchange for an overpriced spare part.

Overpriced spare parts need to be cheap in a salary cap league.

Roogsy
09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Weird...I heard this and immediately thought "salary dump by LA" but they're PICKING UP SALARY? :noidea:

MartinUtd
09-16-2011, 10:03 AM
So we got one fringe defender at the expense of another. Ordinarily this would be cause for a "meh" but really we need someone... anyone back there.

Pigfynn
09-16-2011, 10:05 AM
How the hell can LA afford another 100k in salary? It's like the rules don't apply to...

Oh ya.

Auzzy
09-16-2011, 10:51 AM
How the hell can LA afford another 100k in salary? It's like the rules don't apply to...

Oh ya.

Might the "future considerations" we had on account towards the Galaxy have played a role here? (Can't remember what deal that was part of -- maybe Barrett?)

__wowza
09-16-2011, 11:02 AM
2006 Soccer America MVP

okay, cause reading "MVP at a college level in 2006" sounds a lot different than the "MVP for the columbus crew in 2008" i've been reading.

Dunkers
09-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Toronto could still be picking up a part of the salary, which im sure the MLS would forget to mention, when the Gals are involved.

ua-kozak_TFC
09-16-2011, 11:17 AM
well charles puyol is also 5'10 and it doesn't prevent him from being a pivotal part of barcelona's defence... ON the other end Iro is 6'5 and he is not a defensive wall by any means.
so just have to wait and see about Davies.

DangerRed
09-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Might the "future considerations" we had on account towards the Galaxy have played a role here? (Can't remember what deal that was part of -- maybe Barrett?)

Yes, this was part of the Barrett transaction.

TFC_Junky
09-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Asif also mentioned via twitter that Bouchiba is now taking in first team training.

Detroit_TFC
09-16-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure what went wrong with this kid (sounds like injury issue) but you don't get to be US U20 captain by being a plug.

At least this kid might be depth defender

Yeah, I agree. He must have had some promise at some point, and not that long ago, he is only 22.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Davies_(soccer)

jaahuuu
09-16-2011, 02:18 PM
okay, cause reading "MVP at a college level in 2006" sounds a lot different than the "MVP for the columbus crew in 2008" i've been reading.
There may be something else, but that was all I could find.

T-boy
09-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow, Robinson was a fantastic player in his....one sub appearance for TFC! haha!

So basically, Mariners transfer policy is to sign as many players who haven't made it in any other MLS team, and see how many of them "might" turn into good players!

It goes something like this: Avila HIT, Iro MISS, Robinson MISS, Griffit MISS, Merosevic HIT etc etc....I wonder where Davies will fit?! :p

bman27
09-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow, Robinson was a fantastic player in his....one sub appearance for TFC! haha!

So basically, Mariners transfer policy is to sign as many players who haven't made it in any other MLS team, and see how many of them "might" turn into good players!

It goes something like this: Avila HIT, Iro MISS, Robinson MISS, Griffit MISS, Merosevic HIT etc etc....I wonder where Davies will fit?! :p

Can we really call Griffit a miss yet? most of the time he has spent here he has been injured, just the last couple of games he has been on the sub list.

T-boy
09-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Can we really call Griffit a miss yet? most of the time he has spent here he has been injured, just the last couple of games he has been on the sub list.

Can we call Robinson a miss.....we never saw him play! :p

Petor
09-17-2011, 04:41 AM
So we got one fringe defender at the expense of another. Ordinarily this would be cause for a "meh" but really we need someone... anyone back there.

Ya, but he is only 23.
I noticed that a few of these players(Avila, Marosovic, Williams) that the new management team have brought in are pretty close to the same age. Hopefully this can be our core group of players.

And off topic, the best hamburgers in Toronto are at Goody's.
Probably the best anywhere!
http://www.chow.com/uploads/8/5/7/655758_dscf5135.jpg?20110915192503

WhoAteAllthePie
09-17-2011, 08:23 PM
What's sad is I've been to neither of those places. To move over to soups, the Buffalo Road House here has a chicken wing soup....... it is oral sex by soup.

BTW, new CB. Yay. Chicken wing soup, double yay!

The wife wants to go the the Lake Effect Diner soon, i'll let you know when it's happening and you can go too.

2006 Soccer America MVP

Grover's Cheese burger soup is phenomenal as is the chicken wing soup at buffalo roadhouse sadly I also have never been to lake effect diner. (can I join?)

As for Kyle Davies. Whats left of this season is all about CCL and preparing for a hopefully better next season. I'd fully expect before the last game we get a good look at the new guy.

ArmenJBX
09-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I met Kyle Davies outside BMO Field today.
Seems like a pretty cool guy, he's not as tall as some of our centerbacks, we'll just have to see how he plays.

jaahuuu
09-19-2011, 08:47 AM
(can I join?)Sure.

Detroit_TFC
09-19-2011, 09:01 AM
No food porno! I am getting hun-gry!

Klinsmann
10-05-2011, 01:22 PM
here's a picture of davies making his debut with the reserves

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6180/6204682764_be2b751c98_b.jpg

rockxlee
10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
If you're calling burger priest overrated, let us know of a better place. Cuz I've tried BP recently and its the best burger joint I've been to in Toronto. The stuffed portabello is divine.

Klinsmann
10-06-2011, 06:01 PM
If you're calling burger priest overrated, let us know of a better place. Cuz I've tried BP recently and its the best burger joint I've been to in Toronto. The stuffed portabello is divine.

My favourite was always the Burger Shack near Eglinton and Ave rd...