PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Salaries

tovan
09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
New salary figures have been released for the remainder of 2011. Discuss:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/September%201,%202011%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

Whoop
09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
TFC is paying out some hefty salaries. But it's their money, not mine.

Koevermans making more than Frings?

Viator is being paid quite a bit too.

ArmenJBX
09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
How is Frings only 650k?

Pookie
09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
^ base comp vs total comp... pro-rated too

Pookie
09-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Interesting contract discussions on the horizon.

Plata at $42k without a contract next year.

Iro at $68k without a contract next year.

Eckersley at $75k without a contract next year.

Kocic at $42k and Frei at $100k

PopePouri
09-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Not as high as I thought. I thought was either Koov or Frings would be in the 2 million+ range.

I think Viator's salary is there to fill in the numbers. Same with Robinson's but I'll be surprised if they're be in the roster next year. I think Mariner and Winter struggled to get the defenders they wanted after Cann and Williams went down hence the elevated salary.

Plata has been starter but on a developmental contract, so his agent will probably demand that he sign a senior deal. I'm thinking over 100K.

Whoop
09-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Plata and Eckersley are on loan. MLS would have to buy them first.

PopePouri
09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
How is Frings only 650k?

He said there were more lucrative offers on the table from other clubs. Clearly he didn't come here for the money.

WestStandGeoff
09-12-2011, 03:38 PM
TFC is paying out some hefty salaries. But it's their money, not mine.

Koevermans making more than Frings?

Viator is being paid quite a bit too.

I hope you forgot to include one of these, :D, as their money was once our money, and paying out hefty salaries sounds like a good excuse for trying to take more of our money.

Wooster_TFC
09-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Don't forget that Frings, Koevermans and Viator's salaries are all likely half salaries.

Shocked, and absolutely appalled that Viator would be making 200k in a full year...

TFCtoMUFC
09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't give Plata much more than 100k. Eckersley I'd give 100k - 120k. Let Viator and Robinson leave, Williams and Cann back healthy. Iro can stay at 75k or below.

ensco
09-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Frings at $2.2 million a year makes sense, but Koevermans at $3.0 million a year?

Holy Mista.

That is not what 30 year olds sitting on the bench at PSV are worth on the world football market, imho. Something is not right with that.

ManUtd4ever
09-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Frings at $2.2 million a year makes sense, but Koevermans at $3.0 million a year?

Holy Mista.

That is not what 30 year olds sitting on the bench at PSV are worth on the world football market, imho. Something is not right with that.

It's a hefty contract, but an unfit Koevs has scored 4 goals in 6 games, which would equate 24 goals over the course of an entire season. Even if he comes remotely close to that total next season, he will prove to be a worthwhile DP signing.

ensco
09-12-2011, 08:53 PM
It's a hefty contract, but an unfit Koevs has scored 4 goals in 6 games, which would equate 24 goals over the course of an entire season. Even if he comes remotely close to that total next season, he will prove to be a worthwhile DP signing.

Not arguing any of that.

I'm just talking about the price of eggs.

I don't understand why Koevermans should cost anything remotely close to $3.0 million p.a. on the open market.

Yohan
09-12-2011, 08:55 PM
is that really only half year salary? seems like every other player's salaries are reported as full year salary

i'm also guessing Koevermans needed more incentive to come play for MLS?

ensco
09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
is that really only half year salary? seems like every other player's salaries are reported as full year salary

That's the way JDG was reported in 2009, and Mista in 2010. Half year.

bgnewf
09-12-2011, 09:38 PM
MLS Salaries Released

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/09/mls-salaries-released/

The MLS Players Union releases TFC and MLS player salaries as of September 1st. Here is the list along with a brief primer on how the MLS salary cap system actually works.

Klinsmann
09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
He said there were more lucrative offers on the table from other clubs. Clearly he didn't come here for the money.

I believe Frings was making $4M Euros with werder bremen, they offered him a 1 yr contract ext. Looks like he took a huge pay cut to come to Toronto...

Yohan
09-13-2011, 12:51 AM
I believe Frings was making $4M Euros with werder bremen, they offered him a 1 yr contract ext. Looks like he took a huge pay cut to come to Toronto...
lol. i wonder what kind of hypnosis or bribe JK offered to Frings ;)

kinda cool that Frings chose TFC though. he must really want to do something different

West220Side
09-13-2011, 07:13 AM
I'm a fan of Martina but personally I feel he's overpaid for what he produces. Also I feel Dasan Robinson, Eddy Viator, Nathan Sturgis, and Yourassowsky are a bit over paid. Not by much, but by at least $10,000.

Bormans on a pretty low contract, should make it easy to off load him.

But look at Omar Salgado's salary. Shit isn't he that 17 year old kid that Vancouver got off the draft?

prizby
09-13-2011, 07:38 AM
salgado is a GA contract; not paid by vancouver

Pookie
09-13-2011, 07:52 AM
MLS Salaries Released

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/09/mls-salaries-released/

The MLS Players Union releases TFC and MLS player salaries as of September 1st. Here is the list along with a brief primer on how the MLS salary cap system actually works.

One little nuance that has always interested me about our salary cap is the fact that the max cap hit for ANY player is $335k. Yet, many non-Designated Players make more than that in both base salary and guaranteed comp.

It appears allocation money is being applied to their base in order to buy down the cap hit.

Combine that though with the reality that only the base comp is applied against the cap hit and you have a scenario in which a team that wants to spend could.

Create contracts with a low base with big bonuses that fall under "total guaranteed compensation" and with a little allocation money dolled out for "circumstances deemed appropriate by the competition committee" and you could conceivably have a team with high priced talent outside the cap.

*cough* LA *cough*

Oldtimer
09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Create contracts with a low base with big bonuses that fall under "total guaranteed compensation" and with a little allocation money dolled out for "circumstances deemed appropriate by the competition committee" and you could conceivably have a team with high priced talent outside the cap.

*cough* LA *cough*

Of course, since all contracts have to be approved by the league, you could only do that with their connivance.

* cough* LA *cough*

*cough* NY *cough*

rocker
09-13-2011, 09:31 AM
So next year Frings and Koevermans probably go to double those salaries, given that when De Guz signed, he was in the same boat -- half price in a half season, full price in the second season.

Mariner probably needs to find 335K next season though to squeeze in the extra DP (this season Frings and Koevermans cost 167K each against the cap). I don't think you can use allocation to pay down the second year's cap hit, only the first (the pay down is usually when a player is signed, not in later years).

Hopefully with the money we're paying LA for Barrett and NY for Dero (seem to remember rumours along those lines), and with --- hopefully --- a 150K cap increase next year, it shouldn't be a problem.

Detroit_TFC
09-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Does anybody know if the $250K "luxury tax" for signing a 3rd DP is a one-time thing or has to be paid every year?

KGH
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Hopefully with the money we're paying LA for Barrett and NY for Dero (seem to remember rumours along those lines), and with --- hopefully --- a 150K cap increase next year, it shouldn't be a problem.

The CBA calls for a 5% increase in the salary cap each year through to 2014 so only an increase of $127k for next season. Along with that is a 5% increase in league min.

Pookie
09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Of course, since all contracts have to be approved by the league, you could only do that with their connivance.

* cough* LA *cough*

*cough* NY *cough*

There are a couple of us with colds today.

You know, we had a player who wasn't a DP but was earning a base salary well in excess of the $335k max cap hit for any player. Allocation money was used to deliver extra love to this player.

True story.

Pookie
09-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Does anybody know if the $250K "luxury tax" for signing a 3rd DP is a one-time thing or has to be paid every year?

It's one time.

It's worth noting the new rules for 2012 related to the DP:

Right now, a DP costs you $335k against the cap unless you buy down that amount with allocation money.

In 2012:

- Players under the age of 20 have a $150k cap hit
- Players who are 21 through 23 have a $200k cap hit
- Clubs can sign two DPs and also avoid paying the $250,000 fee for a third DP if he is 23 or younger

Detroit_TFC
09-13-2011, 11:49 AM
^ thanks, this is important to keep in mind. It will be VERY interesting if this SUM deal goes through and MLS puts some of the money raised toward player acquisition, probably in the form of an allocation distribution. That could add a fair amount of additional salary $ in the hands of the teams.

Alonso
09-13-2011, 06:28 PM

i'm also guessing Koevermans needed more incentive to come play for MLS?

Yeah I'm thinking you're right here Yohan. Otherwise Keane is making 7.4 million and more then Beckham and Donovan.

I'm thinking the numbers are all over the course of a season. Apples to apples across the whole list.

Alonso
09-14-2011, 10:58 PM
That's the way JDG was reported in 2009, and Mista in 2010. Half year.

I'm thinking that this has been changed. No way Keane is making more then Beckham or Henry.

DOMIN8R
09-14-2011, 11:07 PM
For players like Keane, Henry and Becky there is more than straight salary involved. At face value, it's a red herring. Becky has several additional committed revenue streams that he can rely on that are "side" deals (non direct salary) with the league.

Alonso
09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
For players like Keane, Henry and Becky there is more than straight salary involved. At face value, it's a red herring. Becky has several additional committed revenue streams that he can rely on that are "side" deals (non direct salary) with the league.

I still don't see Keane making a half million dollars more then Beckham and 1.5 million more then Henry.

Plus CSN reports him making 4.5 million per year which sounds more reasonable.

I see what your saying, but base salary still is the benchmark.