PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Star Ignoring TFC

bgnewf
09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Toronto Star Ignoring TFC

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/09/toronto-star-ignoring-tfc/

The Toronto Star over the past weekend ignores Toronto FC and its Trillium Cup Victory vs the Columbus Crew. Not good enough Toronto Star! You can do much much better.

james
09-12-2011, 11:59 AM
they did say something about Toronto FC winning on on the sunday...but it was in a little small box. Not to much detail.

Anyways im not really suprised, ive realized over the years the news pappers dont say a whole lot about TFC away games for the most part. They leave alot bigger spaces for TFC when they play at home, i dont know why but they do. Also TFC having such a shit year, long way from a playoff spot, they probably werent exspecting much from this game.

bgnewf
09-12-2011, 12:03 PM
...they did say something about Toronto FC winning on on the sunday...but it was in a little small box. Not to much detail...

It was four paragraphs courtesy of the Associated Press. The Vancouver Whitecaps got the same amount of coverage. The Toronto Sun did not send any reporters I believe, yet Ryan Wolstat wrote an excellent game summary that was in the Sun on Sunday.

tfcleeds
09-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd much rather read Kurt Larsen in the Sun anyways. Finally seems that after much trial by error, they found someone decent to cover TFC, enjoy reading his post-game analysis.

stugautz
09-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Maybe we should start another campaign for more TFC coverage at the star...and to fire Cathal Kelly.

Canary10
09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Here's the email for the sports editor:

sports@thestar.ca
Jon Filson is his name.

dantdot
09-12-2011, 05:47 PM
They seem to have taken notice :)

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/letters/article/1052666--yellow-card-for-soccer-coverage

Blazer
09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Toronto Star Ignoring TFC

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/09/toronto-star-ignoring-tfc/

The Toronto Star over the past weekend ignores Toronto FC and its Trillium Cup Victory vs the Columbus Crew. Not good enough Toronto Star! You can do much much better.

Don’t take it so personally.

The Star, just like any media outlet, will write about what the masses care about first and foremost. Right now, there’s nothing attractive about this team and therefore people have lost interest in this “TFC” thing that’s lost considerable lustre since seasons one and two.

Outside of the few who follow, nobody knows what the fuck a trillium cup is, nevermind a late season victory in an otherwise miserable campaign.

Cute cup names for made-up rivalries don’t exist in the North American sports. Some of the richest and most storied rivalries in basketball, baseball, hockey, or football come from prior games or from franchises wit a history together. Reason for rivalry if you will.

The Star will publish a story when people in this city start to take notice en mass or when there’s a greater demand for coverage. Winning is the only answer – something this organization can’t understand.

MartinUtd
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
The Star will publish a story when people in this city start to take notice en mass or when there’s a greater demand for coverage. Winning is the only answer – something this organization can’t understand.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Fort York Redcoat
09-13-2011, 06:34 AM

Cute cup names for made-up rivalries don’t exist in the North American sports.

What Cup names exist OUTside NA between only 2 teams? That's a ridiculous NA concept.

If MLB started 15 yrs ago the Subway series would have a cup I'm sure.

Canary10
09-13-2011, 09:22 AM

The Star, just like any media outlet, will write about what the masses care about first and foremost. Right now, there’s nothing attractive about this team and therefore people have lost interest in this “TFC” thing that’s lost considerable lustre since seasons one and two.

Outside of the few who follow, nobody knows what the fuck a trillium cup is, nevermind a late season victory in an otherwise miserable campaign.

Cute cup names for made-up rivalries don’t exist in the North American sports. Some of the richest and most storied rivalries in basketball, baseball, hockey, or football come from prior games or from franchises wit a history together. Reason for rivalry if you will.

There would be no Toronto teams covered in the sports section of any Toronto newspaper if winning actually mattered.

CoachGT
09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Actually, the funny thing is that the Toronto Star sponsors tomorrow`s headlines today in the post game wrap up on GOL TV.

GBV
09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/letters/article/1052666--yellow-card-for-soccer-coverage

SmokedPanda
09-13-2011, 06:28 PM
The Star is only interested in covering hooliganism.... they don't care about TFC day in and day out

reggie
09-13-2011, 06:36 PM
since i dont have a birdcage anymore i dont need the star.
i get all my tfc and futbol news from this site..thank you very much.

Blazer
09-13-2011, 06:41 PM
What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Like I said. Winning solves everything.

Blazer
09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
There would be no Toronto teams covered in the sports section of any Toronto newspaper if winning actually mattered.

Sure there would be. Maple Leafs on front page followed by Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors, Maple Leafs, Argos, Rock, and Maple Leafs on the back page.

Blazer
09-13-2011, 06:46 PM
What Cup names exist OUTside NA between only 2 teams? That's a ridiculous NA concept.

If MLB started 15 yrs ago the Subway series would have a cup I'm sure.

Yeah – a cup in baseball?! To go along with all of the others. Of course.

Whoop
09-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Blair... there used to be one.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1206/pg2_pearson_cup_400.jpg

Blazer
09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Vic, don’t be foolish. How many Canadians are familiar with idea of a cup that is shared between two cities? In this country, we’re familiar with one cup per sport.

Look, it’s a cute idea there’s no doubt. But it’s foreign to North Americans – especially the ones who don’t follow soccer internationally.

Do you know how many Expos and Jays fans knew that a seven year old rivalry cup existed? Now guess how many put stock in it?

Whoop
09-13-2011, 07:05 PM
There are a number of "cup" games between dozens of NCAA football teams in the US.

Pete's point was that if MLB was a relatively new league they would manufacture a "cup" game between two rivals. They do it in other leagues across NA so it's not a foreign concept.

It's not done in the other major leagues - at least not anymore - because of the history of the leagues.

But I agree, there's no history behind the Trillium Cup. The point is there still should have been some story on Toronto FC even if it was an AP story.

Yozzarian
09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
they said it was a cup. We won. End of story. We have a bit of hardware in our cupboard and all of it with caveats. Only Candaina teams, Only Us and the the colomnus cows... It does not matter, it is hardware, rejoice! rember the positive. When do I get to see their mayor in a TFC jersey?

Blazer
09-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Point taken.

All that I am saying is that North Americans haven’t never gotten crazy over any cup game that wasn’t a championship and that we should be surprised or take it personally that it wasn’t mentioned in a local newspaper.

Should a story have been published? Sure, maybe. But realistically, if you’re reading it as news you probably don’t care about it anyway. If you’re reading it after the fact knowingly, what difference does it make if it’s a story or not? Nil.

Carts
09-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Jesus - do we have to COMPLAIN about EVERYTHING...???

I'll pass on clicking on the link...

We won 4-2 on the weekend, and have a Champions League match tomorrow - I'll focus on the WIN, and SUPPORTING the team tomorrow...

Carts...

Batman
09-13-2011, 08:05 PM

We won 4-2 on the weekend, and have a Champions League match tomorrow - I'll focus on the WIN, and SUPPORTING the team tomorrow...

Carts...

haha... funny, I was thinking the same thing.

The real issue should be, what has any Toronto sports team done in the last 18 years or so that makes it really deserve coverage by any paper. :D

Blazer
09-13-2011, 08:10 PM
^ Precisely.

menefreghista
09-13-2011, 09:49 PM

I actually don't blame the Star at all. TFC is slightly above the Rock now in terms of importance of this city's professional sport teams.

Our love for this team clouds our judgement on its relevance.

Phil
09-13-2011, 09:54 PM

Carts...

This speaks to me.

:scarf: