PDA

View Full Version : The Gate thread part 2

billyfly
09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
So now that we've won the Trillium Cup as well, let's rename each gate in celebration of each trophy the club has won (pls reserve all jokes aside)

Gate 3 will be "The Supporters Group Gate". (sorry NÉE)

Gate 4 Trillium Gate

Gate 1 Voyageur Cup Gate

Etc

Kevvv
09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
gate out of town

billyfly
09-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I think it's a grate idea.

billyfly
09-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks to Auzzy for the idea.

werewolf
09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Gate 2: MLS Cup gate
Gate 5: Champions League Gate

james
09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
ummm no, lol

billyfly
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Your free to not like the idea. What I find amusing is the " we don't have history bullshit".

Empirical
09-11-2011, 05:20 PM
shouldnt they be in some discernible order?

the current system implies that if you are at gate 2 you are close to gate 3 and if youve just walked by gate 1 you are going the right way.

this system would be done so gates are in order of when they were won first?

billyfly
09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
It would have to be thought out.

I just think it's a cool idea to add the trophy name to each gate.

billyfly
09-11-2011, 05:58 PM
For those that don't know I had an idea a while back (that went over like a Lead Zeppelin) to build a nice wrought iron gate at gate 3.

It was to be called the Supporters Gate as a tribute to the stuff we do.

james
09-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I just dont find these trophies we have were very competitive, and our horrible on field performance over the passed 5 years in MLS league play shows that. To name our stands/gates after these trophies i jsut dont agree with.

Its nothing to do with we dont have history bull shit.

Supporters Gate sounds fine with me, not sure what to name east,west and North stand gates tho.

Kevvv
09-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't disagree in principle, but I would want to reserve naming rights for trophies where the bar's a bit higher. The Trillium cup took a single win over CC. Winning the Voyageurs cup is a damn site easier than winning the MLS Cup or the CONCACAF CL.

Our inability to make the 8-10 team playoffs speaks louder than our success in winning the Trillium, Voyageurs, or Carlsber cups.

james
09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't disagree in principle, but I would want to reserve naming rights for trophies where the bar's a bit higher. The Trillium cup took a single win over CC. Winning the Voyageurs cup is a damn site easier than winning the MLS Cup or the CONCACAF CL.

Our inability to make the 8-10 team playoffs speaks louder than our success in winning the Trillium, Voyageurs, or Carlsber cups.

agree!

billyfly
09-11-2011, 06:28 PM
It's all relative people. Stop comparing this to 100 year old leagues and teams.

Shakes McQueen
09-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I like the Supporters Gate idea - I don't like the idea of naming gates after the Voyager's Cup and Trillium Cup.

The Trillium Cup is just a marketing invention of the league, and the Voyager's Cup is only marginally more significant in the grand scheme of things.

Fun to win them? Sure. Worth emblazoning on the entrances to our park? No.

I'd be more inclined to support a gate or arch in memorial of our first MLS Cup win, whenever that finally happens.

- Scott

Auzzy
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks to Auzzy for the idea.

I shoulda ™d Trillium Gate when I had a chance.

But then again, you shoulda ™d Gate when you had the chance.

C_R
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Do you own a gate building business or something?

billyfly
09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I do not own a gate making business.

I just want to make BMO Field different and "ours".

billyfly
09-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I like the Supporters Gate idea - I don't like the idea of naming gates after the Voyager's Cup and Trillium Cup.

The Trillium Cup is just a marketing invention of the league, and the Voyager's Cup is only marginally more significant in the grand scheme of things.

Fun to win them? Sure. Worth emblazoning on the entrances to our park? No.

I'd be more inclined to support a gate or arch in memorial of our first MLS Cup win, whenever that finally happens.

- Scott

You can name a gate the MLS Cup gate when we win it. We have several gates.

1 for the fans
1 for each trophy we've won. No matter what people think of the trophies, they are still trophies.

We live in the age of marketing. The days of athletics club becoming Manchester United and West Ham etc are over. We will never be able to have a grass-roots reason for anything if we hold to that standard.

I'd rather they name them for Cups and Victories than the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Gate.

C_R
09-11-2011, 08:03 PM
How about a supporters moat and draw bridge? Nothing says "ours" like moat and drawbridge.

billyfly
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
How about a supporters moat and draw bridge? Nothing says "ours" like moat and drawbridge.

Hardy Har Har

james
09-11-2011, 08:58 PM
It's all relative people. Stop comparing this to 100 year old leagues and teams.

its not about how old the trophies are, its how small and non competittive they are. Trillium cup??? its a cup that only includes 2 teams that is just 1 game long. Serious its like giving the Toronto Maple Leafs a trophy for beatting Columbus Bluejackets and then do fuck all for the rest of the year and miss the playoffs yet again, you think fans would be happy with that? Would you be happy if TFC won 1 game and lost 35 games but oh wait TFC beat columbus that game at got the trilium cup, ya who gives a shit. Yes its nice to beat teams, but you dont get a trophy for winning 1 game.

Voyers cup has 4 teams (2 are in a lower league at the moment). Its more really just a qualifying round to make it to the bigger Concacaf Champions League.

name gates after trophies that include more teams and more competitiveness such as MLS Cup, Concacaf Champions League, Finnishing first in the MLS season. See those are recognizable achievements and they are not 100 years old trophies, has nothing to with age, its how many teams are in it and how competitive it is.

billyfly
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
We have MULTIPLE GATES. We can name each gate after we win something and by my count we've won 2 trophies and have 5 or 6 gates.

Why do we sing about 1 goal (Dichio) it was just one goal. (Yes I know the debate is raging that we should stop singing in the 24th)

billyfly
09-11-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't expect that everyone likes this idea.

This thread will most likely degenerate like the last one.

james
09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
ya well singing is different then actually naming parts of the stadium.

Naming gates after trophies won isnt that original anyways, id rather have maybe names after players, managers, owners (well no not after MLSE please dont, lol), supporters, things like that, other teams might already have named stuff after trophies. Columbus i believe named a street champions way or something after 2008. I think the blue jays did to, nothing new really. if you want TFC to create history....well history takes time, you dont have to do it all now just after 5 years, a bad 5 years at that, lol.

anyways done with this thread.

billyfly
09-11-2011, 10:08 PM

Everything is different from everything depending what level of detail you look at.

Dichio's goal was a moment in the club's history. We celebrate it. I know lots of people that think the song celebrates mediocrity and dismiss it the way some people will dismiss this idea or the "wall of honour".

Winning the Can Championship and Trillium Cup was a moment in the club's history. The question is, do we celebrate it?

billyfly
09-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Naming gates after trophies won isnt that original anyways, id rather have maybe names after players, managers, owners (well no not after MLSE please dont, lol), supporters, things like that, other teams might already have named stuff after trophies. Columbus i believe named a street champions way or something after 2008. I think the blue jays did to, nothing new really. if you want TFC to create history....well history takes time, you dont have to do it all now just after 5 years, a bad 5 years at that, lol.

anyways done with this thread.

Don;t let the door hit you on the way out.

T.O TILL I DIE
09-11-2011, 11:39 PM
You can name a gate the MLS Cup gate when we win it. We have several gates.

1 for the fans
1 for each trophy we've won. No matter what people think of the trophies, they are still trophies.

We live in the age of marketing. The days of athletics club becoming Manchester United and West Ham etc are over. We will never be able to have a grass-roots reason for anything if we hold to that standard.

I'd rather they name them for Cups and Victories than the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Gate.

heyyy, i like kraft macaroni and cheese gate :(
screw the trophies lets name our gates after FOOD !!

DichioTFC
09-12-2011, 01:16 AM
What about the Rohan Rickett-y Gate? :D

Kidding aside, I think the gates should be renamed, but to represent the city than the names of a trophy we've won once and a trophy against particularly weak competition (I know, its in bad taste for me to libel the mighty FC Edmonton that we could only beat 1-0 at home).

EDIT: The more I think about this idea to represent the city through the gates, the more I like it. Have an Ontario gate, and make little things around the gate reminiscent of the Province. Make one of the gates a Veterans Gate to honour our group's namesake and other Canadian soldiers. The possibilities for this are endless, but it would a bit of local culture and flair to the stadium, which has lost its appeal recently.

EDITED EDIT: Fuck... we could honour the five boroughs of Toronto with this! East York gate, Etobicoke gate, North York gate, Scarborough gate and a York gate (can be the main entry point). Each gate can have elements of its local culture around it... I know it'll never happen, but I am totally stoked for my idea :)

billyfly
09-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Streets on the CNE grounds are named after provinces so naming the gates are the boroughs could tie in.

__wowza
09-12-2011, 08:42 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/351/slideshow_35169/display_image.jpg?x=507731

dont mind me, ill just leave this here..

Fort York Redcoat
09-12-2011, 08:48 AM
What about the Rohan Rickett-y Gate? :D

Kidding aside, I think the gates should be renamed, but to represent the city than the names of a trophy we've won once and a trophy against particularly weak competition (I know, its in bad taste for me to libel the mighty FC Edmonton that we could only beat 1-0 at home).

EDIT: The more I think about this idea to represent the city through the gates, the more I like it. Have an Ontario gate, and make little things around the gate reminiscent of the Province. Make one of the gates a Veterans Gate to honour our group's namesake and other Canadian soldiers. The possibilities for this are endless, but it would a bit of local culture and flair to the stadium, which has lost its appeal recently.

EDITED EDIT: Fuck... we could honour the five boroughs of Toronto with this! East York gate, Etobicoke gate, North York gate, Scarborough gate and a York gate (can be the main entry point). Each gate can have elements of its local culture around it... I know it'll never happen, but I am totally stoked for my idea :)

Ahem.. May I make a suggestion...:canada:

flatpicker
09-12-2011, 09:13 AM
- I always liked the idea of having an official "Supporters' Gate"
- Don't care much for naming other gates after trophies we've won
- But I do like the idea of naming gates after the city boroughs