drewski
09-07-2011, 02:57 PM
panorama shot from the 4th level

http://360.io/XxHcHw

various pictures during construction

http://twitpic.com/photos/BCPlace2011

Vancity RED
09-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Looks nice but will suck as a soccer venue unless they can find an extra 30K people to come to Whitecaps games.

dantdot
09-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Pretty but tainted by the fake green stuff.

ryan
09-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Looks nice but will suck as a soccer venue unless they can find an extra 30K people to come to Whitecaps games.

Doesn't the roof lower or whatever so that it only uses the lower bowl?

PopePouri
09-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Based on virtual stadium, it looks like they'll hide the upper deck with a white sheet.

http://whitecaps.io-media.com/

TorontoPat
09-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Looks great, it would be better with real grass.

ginkster88
09-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Based on virtual stadium, it looks like they'll hide the upper deck with a white sheet.

http://whitecaps.io-media.com/

I actually really like this solution... way better than just covering the seats with the team logo (Seattle, Argonauts).

Furtado91
09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
That's a nice venue. It defiantly looks great for futebol.

__wowza
09-08-2011, 08:39 AM
plus, these fuckers are getting their stadium in FIFA 12.
not really that i can complain, theyre the only team in MLS that has their stadium in there.. but still. im bitter :(

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbdKhqI1j88KiidDH5MTpVfgJN21NDx g7z6D_I11oEg41-C1_sQA

Brooker
09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
plus, these fuckers are getting their stadium in FIFA 12.
not really that i can complain, theyre the only team in MLS that has their stadium in there.. but still. im bitter :(

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbdKhqI1j88KiidDH5MTpVfgJN21NDx g7z6D_I11oEg41-C1_sQA

Does this have anything to do with the developers being in Vancouver?

ryan
09-08-2011, 09:17 AM

More so that EA Sports is financially invested in the club.

Note when they do pressers and in the advertising background (between the hundreds of "Bell" ads you'll see the occasional EA Sports logo).

I really wish they'd make a standalone MLS game, I don't care about UEFA club football and FIFA does MLS so badly.

Carts
09-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Garber's biggest mistake as Commissioner, allowing teams to enter the league without soccer specific stadiums...

Current teams should have been given a strict (but realistic timeline) to get a new stadium...

Sure Seattle is the exception - but massive stadiums, with 40,000 empty seats looks like shit... You can put as many banners over the seats you want - it doesn't help much...

I'll never forget going to DC - they announced attendance close to 30,000, but all you could seat was over 40,000 empty seats...

__wowza
09-08-2011, 10:33 AM

yes and no.
what ryan was saying. they have a partnership with them, but they have a partnership with them because ultimately theyre based in vancouver.

I really wish they'd make a standalone MLS game, I don't care about UEFA club football and FIFA does MLS so badly.

you know what i wouldnt mind? and ive mentioned this elsewhere. selling DLC packs. i know some people might bitch about added content that you should get that you have to buy to access, but id easily shell out $10 to:

- play in MLS specific stadia
- hear announcers mention my players by name
- to see teams look like what theyre supposed to look like
- hear team specific chants (without going through the upload process)

Carts
09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
you know what i wouldnt mind? and ive mentioned this elsewhere. selling DLC packs. i know some people might bitch about added content that you should get that you have to buy to access, but id easily shell out $10 to:

I would love a MLS specific FIFA game...

As you mention above, if it was an add-on, I'd buy it...

ryan
09-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Blows my mind EA doesn't do this. I agree entirely.

MG42
09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjoHVM48EcYeeMBcN3HqXvTm9dTFjaJ uc0JEptdHCrURqJCxe1Cut7Pdmg

Inklink
09-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Looks great! Yes, I'm jealous.

mdc 77
09-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Its a stadium that isn't built for soccer, is much too big for their needs and has a plastic pitch. Why would anyone be jealous? This isn't a good move for the 'Caps. They need their waterfront stadium built one day.

PopePouri
09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Its a stadium that isn't built for soccer, is much too big for their needs and has a plastic pitch. Why would anyone be jealous? This isn't a good move for the 'Caps. They need their waterfront stadium built one day.

Agreed.

james
09-08-2011, 02:14 PM
i think the whitecaps were put in MLS to early. No stadium of there own was planned. And tho BC Place looks really nice, its just to big. With Vancouver having quite high ticket prices (over priced much like TFC tickets) and horrible on field this season, if this continues much like it did for TFC in the next 5 years or so those tickets will be a hard sale. And that stadium will look terrible unless the whole lower deck is full.

Why is BC place so big anyways? would of made more sense if they made the stadium smaller when they did the renovation and made it 30,000 - 25,000 seats. Its nice but still way to big for BC Lions and Whitecaps.

__wowza
09-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Blows my mind EA doesn't do this. I agree entirely.

i wouldnt buy a specific one (i played the specific one they made for the japanese national team and it was horrendous) it splits the product and programmers too much. you know they'd have their A-team working on FIFA and ship out a less than spectacular product.

i think they can improve on the stuff they have so far. like, as long as they're not porting it over to a next-gen console, there's no reason why they can't develop a few stadiums here or there and then update them with the next version. hell, for years before they had competition thats all EA did. they didnt step up their NFL series until segas 2k started moving in under the brilliant pretense that their games were both cheaper and better. same goes for FIFA 09 when PES stepped it up.

it's money in the bank for them. i dont know much about how games are developed, but releasing a pack with 5 MLS stadiums, updated game faces and announcers naming players, i'd buy it.

as far as im aware the waterfront stadium has been put on hold, and the plan is to keep BCE place for 5+ years. i think it was premature to bring them into the league without even partial ownership of BCE place, especially when the long term plan for construction of a SSS is a criteria for being issued a team in this league.

Cashcleaner
09-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Perhaps. But as compromises go, this ain't a bad one for them. Here's a question, will BC Place be a better stadium for the Whitecaps second year than BMO Field was for TFC's? We have artificial turf in both instances, so consider other aspects of the facilities.

canadian_bhoy
09-09-2011, 08:00 AM
panorama shot from the 4th level

http://360.io/XxHcHw

various pictures during construction

http://twitpic.com/photos/BCPlace2011

Is it just me or does it look like all the seats are Red and Grey?

:scarf:

Cashcleaner
09-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Odd considering that neither colours are used by the BC Lions (Orange, Black, and White) or Whitecaps (Blue and White).

rocker
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Perhaps. But as compromises go, this ain't a bad one for them. Here's a question, will BC Place be a better stadium for the Whitecaps second year than BMO Field was for TFC's? We have artificial turf in both instances, so consider other aspects of the facilities.

Whitecaps have it better if that's the comparison... but they won't be getting grass any time soon. I remember the constant complaints about field turf here -- when will that start in Vancouver?

I mean, it'd be like TFC playing games at Skydome. Would that be better than playing at BMO Field with grass? I don't think so.

Carts
09-09-2011, 03:04 PM

The Orange & Black Lions...
The Blue & White Caps...
The Blue & Green Canucks...

Where the hell did they get Red & Grey seating from...???

Cashcleaner
09-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Whitecaps have it better if that's the comparison... but they won't be getting grass any time soon. I remember the constant complaints about field turf here -- when will that start in Vancouver?

I mean, it'd be like TFC playing games at Skydome. Would that be better than playing at BMO Field with grass? I don't think so.

I would argue that BC Place has a lot more character than Rogers Centre, but you're absolutely right in that as long as they are sharing with the Lions, they're never getting a natural playing surface.

james
09-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I would argue that BC Place has a lot more character than Rogers Centre, but you're absolutely right in that as long as they are sharing with the Lions, they're never getting a natural playing surface.

i agree with that, but i still think the best option is to build a soccer stadium in the right location, rather then playing in a oversized BC Place on fake grass forever. However building a soccer stadium out in bum fuck no where (like Dallas) is probably worse off then playin at BC Place in the heart of Vancouver.

Alonso
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Is it me, or does every seat have a beer holder?:yum:

Dtour4161
10-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I was at the game on Sunday in Vancouver wearing my TFC scarf and jersey. It wasn't a bad place to watch a match. It wasn't lost on many of the Whitecaps supporters that seating was in TFC colours. Oh and yes all the seats have beer holders.

Brooker
10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I was at the game on Sunday in Vancouver wearing my TFC scarf and jersey. It wasn't a bad place to watch a match. It wasn't lost on many of the Whitecaps supporters that seating was in TFC colours. Oh and yes all the seats have beer holders.

Beer holders are located at the end of the arm.....

kodiakTFC
10-05-2011, 08:58 PM

The beer holder thing sounds fantastic. Were the Southsiders/Vancouver fans even audible over the Timber's Army?

Vancity RED
10-05-2011, 09:21 PM
The beer holder thing sounds fantastic. Were the Southsiders/Vancouver fans even audible over the Timber's Army?

They were decent at the start of the game but the team gave them little to get excited about and they certainly fizzled after the Rochat assist on Cooper's cracker.

Whoop-de-dooo. Beer holders for your $10.50 cup of crap ass Budweiser. I haven't said this many times in my life, if ever, but that beer of mine on Sunday was the worst beer ever. As bad as the product on the pitch.

Alonso
10-06-2011, 12:20 PM

You see. Its the little things that let people know that you care.

james
10-07-2011, 01:52 PM
they need to close the gaps on the upper deck, could still see all the emty seats. Stadium didnt look as good as i thought on TV. I hope Vancouver can get an actual soccer stadium in the next 5 years, but doudt it.

SilverSamurai
10-08-2011, 09:12 AM
I'd agree with this.
But short of a Champions League match, in the middle of winter, I hope to NEVER see a TFC game at skydome. Keep it at it's "real" home, BMO Field.

The Whitecaps actually have land bought and paid for, on the harbour but they haven't been allowed to develop it because it's Fed land. Kerfoot owns it and has promised to build it with NO public funds, but nothing happens. It's deserves a :picard:.Gotta love politics... :rolleyes:

james
10-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd agree with this.
But short of a Champions League match, in the middle of winter, I hope to NEVER see a TFC game at skydome. Keep it at it's "real" home, BMO Field.

The Whitecaps actually have land bought and paid for, on the harbour but they haven't been allowed to develop it because it's Fed land. Kerfoot owns it and has promised to build it with NO public funds, but nothing happens. It's deserves a :picard:.Gotta love politics... :rolleyes:

wow thats anoying. Just let them build dammit!

David_Oliveira
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
wow thats anoying. Just let them build dammit!

I think it is alittle harder than that. If I remember correctly, the plans called them to build in the water.
http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/images/waterfrontmap.jpg

The stadium was originally planned to be located near Vancouver’s Waterfront Station over former Canadian Pacific Railway property. The Whitecaps own this site (marked as #1 on the map to the left) but the location was determined to be impractical, causing the Whitecaps to negotiate with the Port Authority for another site directly on the water, nearby the original location but involving the reclamation of some land and the demolition of the Seabus terminal (site #2). Because of the impact on the Seabus and port traffic, negotiations have since moved to another location directly east of that site (#3). The Vancouver port authority has been the main obstacle for getting the stadium approved, but they’ve at least been negotiating (the hot rumour is a land swap between the Whitecaps and the port authority). BC Place is shown to the left as #4, for reference. The distance between the left and right edges of the map is about 1.83 kilometers.

more about the construction at this site (http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/?p=352)

SilverSamurai
10-10-2011, 08:14 PM
I think it is alittle harder than that. If I remember correctly, the plans called them to build in the water.
http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/images/waterfrontmap.jpg

more about the construction at this site (http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/?p=352)
The location is amazing, but at this rate... who knows!