PDA

View Full Version : Is Plata the most promising prospect we've had?

JavierMartini
09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
The question is straight forward. Discuss....

Globetrotter
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Edu.

Batman
09-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Why don't YOU discuss it?

ArmenJBX
09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes.
/end thread

JavierMartini
09-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Why don't YOU discuss it?

Ok, he is young, fast and very smart on the ball. His downside is a tad bit of greedy play (doing too much)

DichioTFC
09-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Yes.
/end thread

Thread has been ended.

JavierMartini
09-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Edu.

Edu? I really don't think that he is anywhere close to the potential of Plata

PopePouri
09-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Henry. I see the kid in Europe.

Globetrotter
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Meh, difference of opinions.

People wet themselves over "potential" all the time. 4 years of this forum and their hype then hate of players. So much potential... then bust. Your boy Javier falls into that group as well.

Edu.

Macksam
09-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Lindsay showed more promise than Plata.

adam1001
09-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Lindsay showed more promise than Plata.
agreed.

Yohan
09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
well, Edu is 25, plays for Rangers and USMNT...

jloome
09-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Auxerre just offered $14 million for Edu, who has become a legitimate international midfielder. Plata is a very incomplete player with great ball skills and a lot of self-confidence.

You don't think Maurice Edu has "anywhere close" to the potential of Plata? Really?

prizby
09-06-2011, 09:08 PM

teams buy on potential...who is buying Plata?

Nodoubtguy
09-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Not sure you can really say anyone had (has) more potential then Edu.

Juanito
09-06-2011, 09:22 PM
We cashed in Edu. Of the current crop, definitley, Plata has the biggest upside, second would be Frei.

If you want to compare the market value between Edu and Plata, Edu wins hands down. His size and quality is more marketable in Europe, while Plata is not. Since European clubs are willing to spend more, Edu's market value is higher. Skill-wise, I believe it's Plata though. However, if he stays in MLS, his talent may go to waste.

mclaren
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Nana Attakora

torontocelt
09-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Auxerre just offered $14 million for Edu, who has become a legitimate international midfielder. Plata is a very incomplete player with great ball skills and a lot of self-confidence.

You don't think Maurice Edu has "anywhere close" to the potential of Plata? Really?

Ha, ha,ha, $14m!!! If Rangers were offered that for Edu you better believe he would be gone in a flash. It would one of the biggest rip off's for a player I have ever seen.

torontocelt
09-07-2011, 06:31 AM
For me the most promising prospect is Frei but it doesn't mean he will be picked up as the MLS has a few good goal keepers. Out of just about any player in recent seasons though it is Frei who has saved us the most points or saved us from severe embarrassment. DeRo used to get us a lot of points but he is too old to be a prospect.

West220Side
09-07-2011, 11:11 AM

He's on loan to the club, thus not our prospect. Anybody from the draft I don't consider our prospect as even though we grow them professionally they didn't learn anything in there amateur days from us.

Our most promising prospect so far has been Nicholas Lindsay up until his injury. Hopefully he bounces back, doesn't look good though.

Edu.

I'm a Rangers fan... and I still think he's awful.

DichioTFC
09-07-2011, 11:18 AM
^^ that's a legit question, who has higher value; Frei or Plata?

The problem with Edu is that his development has reached a ceiling. There's a strong possibility that he will not make huge improvements beyond his current ability - which is unfortunate because his bad days are horrible (soft passes, lost concentration, poor resiliency, inadequate marking - all this coming from a USMNT fan). His value cant be higher than $7M at best.

trane
09-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Plata has done more then I thought he would. My issue was his size, and he has done great despite it, but his size is still a concern, he gets knocked of the ball ( literally) way to easily. Other shortcoming he can grow out of, and he may learn to play effectively at higher levels despite his size, he has to get stronger.

Cashcleaner
09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
We cashed in Edu. Of the current crop, definitley, Plata has the biggest upside, second would be Frei.

If you want to compare the market value between Edu and Plata, Edu wins hands down. His size and quality is more marketable in Europe, while Plata is not. Since European clubs are willing to spend more, Edu's market value is higher. Skill-wise, I believe it's Plata though. However, if he stays in MLS, his talent may go to waste.

It's hard to argue with history. Edu has USMNT minutes and is playing for Rangers. I don't know about you guys, but I don't remember a lot of clubs like that knocking on our doors for any other players. Plata does come in at a close second, though.

canadian_bhoy
09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Edu had a breakout rookie season - but even though we sold him for good money, he was having a pretty crappy 2nd season in Toronto. You probably remember the threads of people asking what the he'll was wrong with him.

At rangers he had a good start but has been seeing less playing time and the fans have turned on him.

Plata is a good prospect for TFC but not highly sellable outside MLS or south America. He's simply too small.

But hey, thats good for us.

ryan
09-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Plata isn't sellable because we do not own him.

Juanito
09-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Plata is a good prospect for TFC but not highly sellable outside MLS or south America. He's simply too small.

But hey, thats good for us.

YES IT IS! His marketability is very low, unless he goes to Mexico, Argentina, maybe Brazil. If he decides to stay in "America", it would be great for us, and I can see him being a north of $300 000 player, which for him, is HUGE money.

Juanito
09-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Plata isn't sellable because we do not own him.

Hopefully we'll remedy this and buy him. I wonder how much they're asking?

Does anyone know the league rules to this? He has an MLS contract, does it mean TFC has to pony up the entire fee, or is it split between MLS and TFC? Is there a maximum that the league allows to pay for transfers?

ryan
09-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Hopefully we'll remedy this and buy him. I wonder how much they're asking?

Does anyone know the league rules to this? He has an MLS contract, does it mean TFC has to pony up the entire fee, or is it split between MLS and TFC? Is there a maximum that the league allows to pay for transfers?

From what I understand all loans to MLS come with a buyout price. So whatever the price may be is what TFC would be looking to pay, I'm not sure if MLS is involved in the buyout or not.