PDA

View Full Version : The Wooden Spoon Protest!!!!!!!!

[NBF]
09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Like the RPB/et all Classic Yoda Banner:

http://theoriginalwinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/yoda.jpg

Our New Battle Cry has risen from the ashes of a closed thread:(TFC and the race for "Wooden Spoon"[Closed])

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Spoooooooon!!!!!!!!!!!

rcm-J7lQT3w

What do you guys think, is it too complicated? Is there an actual wooden spoon trophy? I think after this there would be one and it would be embarrassing for TFC to get an actual trophy. Quick Poll.

http://gamedrunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/the_tick_spoon-770895.jpg

I throw it out there discuss or vote on the poll.

razor787
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Another talk of a protest? Im getting a little confused. What is RPB exactly, a supporters club or a protest group?

pekduck
09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
^
just because it's posted on RPB forum, doesn't mean it's RPB initiative, lol

besides, it's just a hilarious thread :D

MartinUtd
09-06-2011, 02:34 PM
So are we protesting on field results here? I can't say I'm on board with this considering it's the FO that needs reforming.

Carts
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Another talk of a protest? Im getting a little confused. What is RPB exactly, a supporters club or a protest group?

A supporters club with a bunch of protesters in the mix...?

I'm just kidding - I'm sick of all the protest talk as well...

To be honest, I'm surprised there hasn't been threat about a protest against Mother Nature - I mean, she cancelled 2-games and not a single thread about the b*tch! :D

Fort York Redcoat
09-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Ummm I think Vancouver's got this one in the bag.

razor787
09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Directed at pekduck - I know, i just find it absolutely ridiculous that there seems to be a new protest topic each month. People seem to find the protests more interesting then the team.

So heres what i think about this.

This year is a writeoff. The FO already knows we demand results next year, there is nothing we can do to change it. Right now there are people starving in somalia, dieing of famine. If you want to protest, then do it by cancelling you seats, which are meant to entertain you, and instead give the money away to keep someone alive.

Dont sit on a forum and bitch about how your team isnt winning, and try starting a protest. If you want to protest so bad, protest the famine, and leave everyone else to support.

With that said, I propose a different protest. I say we make league headlines by having a game focused on the famine, and try getting people to donate money. Lets make people rally around a cause, not split us up.

Jack
09-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Directed at pekduck - I know, i just find it absolutely ridiculous that there seems to be a new protest topic each month. People seem to find the protests more interesting then the team.

So heres what i think about this.

This year is a writeoff. The FO already knows we demand results next year, there is nothing we can do to change it. Right now there are people starving in somalia, dieing of famine. If you want to protest, then do it by cancelling you seats, which are meant to entertain you, and instead give the money away to keep someone alive.

Dont sit on a forum and bitch about how your team isnt winning, and try starting a protest. If you want to protest so bad, protest the famine, and leave everyone else to support.

With that said, I propose a different protest. I say we make league headlines by having a game focused on the famine, and try getting people to donate money. Lets make people rally around a cause, not split us up.

You'll note that this "protest" was proposed by someone who is not a member of RPB. So the question about us being a "protest club" instead of a supporters club is completely unfounded and, frankly, a bit annoying. We've done a few protests over the years, yes. Some have garnered results and some have failed, but all of them have been a decision made by the group and put forth by the group's leadership, not by someone who isn't even a member posting a random thread to vent.

If every thread on this board calling for a protest came from the RPB leadership, then you'd have a point. Right now, you're just trolling.

Beach_Red
09-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Yes, and TFC is going to finish the season with a winning streak, so it won't even be close.

pekduck
09-06-2011, 02:54 PM
You'll note that this "protest" was proposed by someone who is not a member of RPB. So the question about us being a "protest club" instead of a supporters club is completely unfounded and, frankly, a bit annoying. We've done a few protests over the years, yes. Some have garnered results and some have failed, but all of them have been a decision made by the group and put forth by the group's leadership, not by someone who isn't even a member posting a random thread to vent.

If every thread on this board calling for a protest came from the RPB leadership, then you'd have a point. Right now, you're just trolling.

i don't think he's trolling, just genuinely pissed off at the number of protests threads like the majority of folks here :)

of course, it's just that things like these are being posted on our board... as usual lol

razor787
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Whether the call comes from an RPB or not doesnt matter to me. My point was to call out the fact that there are constantly topics calling for protest. Some are from RPB, others arent. In the end, its someone who feels tge group should protest. My comments are directed at those people, and not the group as a whole.

prizby
09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
ill let nbf organize the protest...enjoy; i won't be at it

Jack
09-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Whether the call comes from an RPB or not doesnt matter to me. My point was to call out the fact that there are constantly topics calling for protest. Some are from RPB, others arent. In the end, its someone who feels tge group should protest. My comments are directed at those people, and not the group as a whole.

I get what you're saying, but the fact is that anyone can register and post a thread about a protest here. That doesn't mean anyone's going to do so and has nothing to do with the nature of our group. On top of our group's needs, we provide this message board as a service to supporters of Toronto FC and football in Canada and the world. That means we get all kinds of people posting here. That doesn't have any bearing on our group's intent or actions.

I would also call into question your statement that there are "constantly topics calling for protest". I am hard-pressed to find a topic calling for protest this season other than this one, which is more of a joke thread.

There is this thread: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27875 also started by someone who isn't a member of RPB.

So yeah...

Oldtimer
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM

For sure.

Oldtimer
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I like teaspoons, but tablespoons are too big, even for cereal.

I've tried serrated spoons for grapefruit, they are not bad, but I still prefer to cut the grapefruit before hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_spoon

rocker
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
what about New England for the wooden spoon? they aren't too good either, even though they are coached by the "mighty" (some say) Steve Nicol.

[NBF]
09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm just saying that if we were to celebrate "The Wooden Spoon Trophy" which we're candidates for every season, wouldn't that be an exclamation point on the past 5 seasons?

Way to go out! On top. With a spoon in hand. Or just take some spoons to the last home game and have them confiscated at the ticket gate:)

You don't even need a banner. I doubt they will throw away the spoons. They'll probably end up at the Salvation Army.:D

adamdz
09-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Lets go with a Spork.

Yagbod
09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Trusty Spork...

I would also like to register my protest against all other protests.

Although, if the last place is decided by the TFC vs NE match (last of the year) then I think it would be funny to have a banner with a Wooden Spoon that we could tack another banner onto with the name of the last place team.

And the Wooden Spoon goes to... (insert team here)

That being said, the Shitecaps will win the Spoon.

__wowza
09-06-2011, 04:27 PM
there's better ways to celebrate mediocrity, whether you mean to be lighthearted or malicious.

the teams in a state of flux, there's no debating that, but we're discussing something like this while we're second our CCL group stage and have almost a full month left to play. surely energy can be spent on something better.

cant we just sing "always look on the bright side of life?" at the end of the season, thank the boys for their contribution (lord knows this season wasnt easy for them either) and hope the state of flux doesnt follow us into 2012?

Auzzy
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Wooden spoon would always be good for a

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XBngp3C1wKc/TaJbtmW41KI/AAAAAAAAAZk/OPnr-Y9Yhj8/s200/paddling.jpg

DichioTFC
09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
i'm protesting the protest threads by not voting for or against a protest.

the ultimate protest vote.

DOMIN8R
09-06-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't understand what the big deal is. We got the gravy and the gravy boat(s). Now we need spoons?

phonzo
09-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Sporks....that is all

mclaren
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
That protest boat has sailed. Unfortunately not enough people stood up to the plate when it really mattered and instead preferred to slander those who did. Now folks are just plain apathetic which is far, far worse (as MLSE will find out, oh, just around renewal time).

TOBOR !
09-06-2011, 11:05 PM
this question always has me scratching my head. Had the 'supporters' of Brighton & Hove not 'protested' about how their club was being run, there's a strong chance that it wouldn't exist today, nevermind knocking on the door of the Premiership.

Oldtimer
09-07-2011, 07:25 AM
That protest boat has sailed. Unfortunately not enough people stood up to the plate when it really mattered and instead preferred to slander those who did. Now folks are just plain apathetic which is far, far worse (as MLSE will find out, oh, just around renewal time).

I don't really agree. We had the "MO MUST GO" going pretty strong.

Ultimately, the only "protest" that worked was non-renewal of season tickets. That's because non-supporters represent 95% of the ticket base, and it cost ML$E money. They know that not every game was sold out this year, that's why they allowed Winter to have 3 DPs, a first for this club.

Anyway, I'm sure that this thread was intended as a light-hearted joke. We're not going to get the wooden spoon anyways.

Oblio2
09-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Protest against wooden spoons!!!!!

Whoop
09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I'll take a big golden spoon.... which I would melt down for cash. LOL

Brooker
09-07-2011, 11:19 AM
What I've always wondered is what does a wooden spoon have to do with finishing last?

Ageroo
09-07-2011, 11:25 AM
What I've always wondered is what does a wooden spoon have to do with finishing last?

My thoughts exactly.....my memories of the wooden spoon are from my childhood. And they are not good memories.....;)

Oblio2
09-07-2011, 11:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_spoon_(award)

Brooker
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
but why a wooden spoon? lol.

ryan
09-07-2011, 02:21 PM
but why a wooden spoon? lol.

cause you don't beat your kids with metal spoons.

TFCin110
09-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Yay, another RPB protest.....

Fort York Redcoat
09-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I think this thread is confusing some people. This is a joke thread. If it's not then it's getting far too much attention.

trane
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM

This is the problem. Apathy can be the death of football in the city. People protesting means they give a shit. People giving up and no longer carrying is what MLSE, and football supporters need to be worried about.

Pookie
09-07-2011, 04:00 PM
If attendance is still over 20,000 per game... I'd really like someone to highlight how that = not giving a shit.

__wowza
09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
I think this thread is confusing some people. This is a joke thread. If it's not then it's getting far too much attention.

+ over 9000.

mclaren
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM
If attendance is still over 20,000 per game... I'd really like someone to highlight how that = not giving a shit.

20,000 per game? Doesn't look like that on TV.

BFin
09-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Because attendance isn't 20k per game. Purchased seats are 20k, attendance looks more like 12 k. I'd say when 40% of the people who have purchased seats for a game don't show up, it means they don't give a shit.

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't support any and every call to protest on this forum, but I completely reject the idea that organizing protests, even frequently, is in any way contrary to our role as supporters.

We are a supporters club, not a glee club.

- Scott

scooter
09-08-2011, 11:54 AM
spork off

PopePouri
09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Because attendance isn't 20k per game. Purchased seats are 20k, attendance looks more like 12 k. I'd say when 40% of the people who have purchased seats for a game don't show up, it means they don't give a shit.

Oversimplification.

Cashcleaner
09-09-2011, 06:43 AM
I don't support any and every call to protest on this forum, but I completely reject the idea that organizing protests, even frequently, is in any way contrary to our role as supporters.

We are a supporters club, not a glee club.

- Scott

Very well said. And it should be noted that our club (TFC) and the corporate mechanism behind it are two very separate entities.

Phil
09-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Yay, another RPB protest.....

Did you check the first few posts dealing about this topic?

Its someone posting on the board, not a decision by the group to do this, if anything its just a laugh.

If you don't want to take the time to understand whats going on, you in turn are whining about the whining.