PDA

View Full Version : TFC And The Race For The Wooden Spoon

bgnewf
09-06-2011, 12:18 PM
TFC And The Race For The Wooden Spoon

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/09/wooden-spoon/

In this post I take a look at the race for the MLS "Wooden Spoon" awarded to the last place finisher in the league and where I feel TFC is likely to finish once this MLS season ends next month.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-06-2011, 12:26 PM
why not focus...on the ccl......and let this season go?

bgnewf
09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
why not focus...on the ccl......and let this season go?

I am not arguing for either. I personally don't care really at this point where TFC does or does not finish in MLS. And yes I get that the CCL is to me the most important thing left.

But take a step back for a moment and look at this from the perspective of TFC and of the more casual supporter than like those that spend time in forums like this one. TFC is not going to want to finish last and to be embarrassed yet again. The job of selling the product will be harder in the future and the damage to the brand will be large if they finish last, particularly if Vancouver beats them. It makes good business sense to not finish dead last in my opinion.

And will the more 'casual" fan, for want of a better term, be as committed to TFC as they have been is they see their club finish last again? I don't think so.

I think way too often us more engaged supporters do not take a look a the perspective of the more casual fan when we state our opinions on all things TFC.

Oldtimer
09-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I know that bloggers like you want to keep the hits to their sites coming.... but a topic like this is not particularly interesting to the hardcore fan or the supporter (although Cathall Kelley would certainly run with it if TFC finished last, which is unlikely IMO).

A better topic would be "up and coming draft prospects" or something like that.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I am not arguing for either. I personally don't care really at this point where TFC does or does not finish in MLS. And yes I get that the CCL is to me the most important thing left.

But take a step back for a moment and look at this from the perspective of TFC and of the more casual supporter than like those that spend time in forums like this one. TFC is not going to want to finish last and to be embarrassed yet again. The job of selling the product will be harder in the future and the damage to the brand will be large if they finish last, particularly if Vancouver beats them. It makes good business sense to not finish dead last in my opinion.

And will the more 'casual" fan, for want of a better term, be as committed to TFC as they have been is they see their club finish last again? I don't think so.

I think way too often us more engaged supporters do not take a look a the perspective of the more casual fan when we state our opinions on all things TFC.

The embarrassment is already done for tfc.....even if we fell one point short of a playoff spot this year.....its been 5 years....of pure shite!....i dont think finishing last has much effect on it at all.....even the casual fan has gotten use to it!:drinking: