PDA

View Full Version : The Next Year Roster Thread, Rebuilding Since 2008, 2nd Edition

[NBF]
09-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Well, although we can't say that we've gained much ground since the first edition of this thread last season. We can at least say that we've gotten in some ways what we wanted for a Head Coach and for a Technical Director.

Aron Winter, was named Head Coach & Technical Director in January of 2011 and has shown that he can bring in the "big signings" based on his name recognition, which will go a long way to further develop the team in to a playoffs contender for the 2012 season.

So far, Winter hasn't delivered results in the 2011 MLS season, but has built a decent and promising roster that has more quality and technical ability than the 2010 team or any other TFC team.

Some players are capable of playing the "system" that Aron Winter wants the team to play and some are capable depth players.

Here is a list of both types of players who should hold down a spot on the team for the 2012 season; those who are starters(underlined and are in bold) and those who are depth players(placed in their normal position under the starters):

4-3-3:

*Where its listed (1.Vacant) those are positions without a consistent starting player to fill the position and where it has a number that is the level of priority.

------------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
------------------------------------Kocic-----------------------------------
(3.Vacant)-------------Iro------------------(1.Vacant)--------(2.Vacant)
Viator----------------Williams--------------------Henry---------------Morgan
Davies---------------------------------------------------------------Borman
---------------------------------Frings(DP)--------------------------------
---------------------------------(6.Vacant)--------------------------------
---------------------Avila---------------------(5.Vacant)------------------
--------------------Stinson----------------------Griffit----------------------
--------------------Cordon-------------------------------------------------
Martina------------------------------------------------------------Johnson
Marosevic-----------------------Koevermans-----------------------Zavarise
Soolsma--------------------------(4.Vacant)--------------------------Lindsay
----------------------------------Makubuya--------------------------------

Total: 23 out of 30.

Canadians: 8 players, who have each at least one game:)
Americans: 3 players, who show value and meet MLS requirements:rolleyes:
Internationals: 12 players, a little high, but there should be 11 starters.:(

The Rest Of The Players From The 2011 Team

Players on loan with TFC in 2011:

1. Eckersley, I think once he returns to Burnley, he might get reminded of what real football is like and would prefer to stay rather than take a massive step down to MLS.

2. Plata, If he is signed full-time, I think it would be wise to strengthen the left back and centre back roles to allow for Plata to stay forward on the attack where he would be more of an impact.

Players who played for TFC, but should be waived:

1. Bouchiba, who is this guy? The invisible man?

2. Sturgis, he never closes anyone down and never bothers to tackle anyone. His playing style can be considered similar to a "taller" player in his position, but he is not much physically imposing than Plata.

3. Harden, he is good at central defender, but his change of direction is too wide and he does not have the speed to keep up. Plain and simple, he's too slow.

4. Gold, hasn't really done much to say he has something to offer and is too similar to Sturgis, but with a lesser sense of trying to fill space.

5. Omphroy, he must be hanging out with Bouchiba somewhere, because I have never seen him.

Players on the bubble or contract runs out:

1. DeGuzman, contract runs out after 2011 season. Should be resigned on high salary non-DP contract. No more than Ryan Johnson.

2. Dunfield, he would make a good depth player, but only if Avila is the new starting central midfielder, and DeGuzman is not resigned.

3. Cann, contract runs out after the 2011 season. Should be resigned for depth if no other centre back is signed as a DP or starting centre back.

2012 MLS SuperDraft:

Round 1: Natural pick & 2nd pick from NYRB for DeRosario.
Round 2: No picks. Traded it for Dasan Robinson
Round 3: Natural pick & 2nd pick from Rapids for Joseph Nane.
Round 4: Natural pick.

Draft Strategy: Lets build from back to front!

Note: This is the same as last year with a few minor changes, but the priorities are still the same

STRIKERS: Select the best striker in the 2012 Draft and put him up front to start or move him to the right wing to get playing experience. Likewise, if the Striker is a left footed player that can be used as a left winger. Versatility is the key here since there's not much finishing skill in the strikers coming from the college draft. A target man would be great but not if he will be a statute waiting for crosses from our left or right backs. Striker is priority #4.

MIDFIELDERS: Finding "blue-collar" midfielders is a priority. Players like Marosevic & Avila that are all effort with some technique would be ideal for depth. These players are definitely available in the college draft. A solid centre-midfield leader is priority #5 & a defensive midfielder is a priority #6.

DEFENDERS: The epich centre back search is on going for the 6th season. Any player thats in the draft will not be the answer that we need unless TFC uses the draft to trade for a player named Dejan Jakovic. Centre Back is priority #1, and Left Back is priority #2, and right back is priority #3.

GOALKEEPERS: Drafting a Goalkeeper is not a priority, but if there's one available with some promise maybe draft him and loan him out. Goalkeeper is priority #7.

TFC 2012 Roster: (Last Update- Sep.19th, 2011)

Players In:

1. 2011-(CB) Kyle Davies from L.A. Galaxy

Players Out:

1. 2011-(CB/RB) Dasan Robinson to L.A. Galaxy

mowe
09-04-2011, 08:45 PM
We play 4-2-3-1, with two holding mids. I also disagree with your assessment of Martina as a starter.

I don't think we should re-sign JDG. No player is going to take a salary cut from $1.9 million to less than 300k. It's time for both club and player to move on. We should use his cap space to sign a high quality centre back and a winger/attacking mid.

Also, is Dunfield's contract up after this season? I hope he comes back next year, I think Frings and Dunfield as the two holding mids would be great.

I'm excited to see what Winter/Mariner can do with a full offseason and a clear idea of what the team needs and what works in MLS.

bman27
09-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Disagree with Bouchiba and Omphroy being waved. You havn't Seen Bouchiba because he has been injured all year, wait and see how he plays late this season or next before letting him go. Omphroy is a 22 year old fullback that seems like he has potential, he has spent this year on the reserve team and I honestly think that was the best place for him, gives him playing time without the pressure of first team action. I don't think the jury is out on both of these guys just yet...

CSO_BBTB
09-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Do you have a source for JDG's contract running out after the 2011 season? I thought it had been established on here that it runs through 2012 but there is a mechanism that could be used to buy him out during the off-season.

Disagree somewhat on Bouchiba and Harden on the should be waived list. Bouchiba could easily be waived no question but there is no way of knowing for sure right now whether Winter actually rates him or signed him out of desperation. On Harden OK he's not a great player but can you find better for close to the league minimum as emergency cover? Players that can more or less get the job done should be retained so the six discovery signings can be targeted at the most pressing voids in the roster. There's a limit to the level of turnover that's sensible in any offseason. I would add Martina to the should be waived list though and if Morgan continues to progress over the next two months I suspect one of Borman and Yourrassowky will probably be gone as well.

Where on the bubble is concerned I suspect Cann will be waived because what happened in Charleston will not have been forgiven or forgotten. Dunfield is another who could fit into the not brilliant but serviceable for now sort of category, in my opinion. I'd say there are lots of players on the bubble though and only Frei, Henry, Morgan, Frings, Avila, Stinson, Koevermans and unfortunately JDG are pretty much certs to be back at this point, while the rest still have a lot to play for between now and the end of the season given it will be memories of the last six weeks that will be most fresh in Winter's minds when he makes the final decisions on this.

DichioTFC
09-05-2011, 11:52 AM
For what its worth, Bouchiba is the highest rated player on TFC in FIFA 11 aside from DeRo and JDG.

ArmenJBX
09-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Bouchiba?
He is a 64 overall.
There's a lot of players higher than he is in FIFA 11.

A.J
09-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Disagree with Bouchiba and Omphroy being waved. You havn't Seen Bouchiba because he has been injured all year, wait and see how he plays late this season or next before letting him go. Omphroy is a 22 year old fullback that seems like he has potential, he has spent this year on the reserve team and I honestly think that was the best place for him, gives him playing time without the pressure of first team action. I don't think the jury is out on both of these guys just yet...

I've read somewhere that Omphroy's made the transition to a forward now. Can anyone confirm this?
Maybe that's why he's not been featured in any games, because the coaches are developing him to be a forward we currently lack depth on.

What's his goal count like in the reserves?

[NBF]
09-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Do you have a source for JDG's contract running out after the 2011 season? I thought it had been established on here that it runs through 2012 but there is a mechanism that could be used to buy him out during the off-season.

Disagree somewhat on Bouchiba and Harden on the should be waived list. Bouchiba could easily be waived no question but there is no way of knowing for sure right now whether Winter actually rates him or signed him out of desperation. On Harden OK he's not a great player but can you find better for close to the league minimum as emergency cover? Players that can more or less get the job done should be retained so the six discovery signings can be targeted at the most pressing voids in the roster. There's a limit to the level of turnover that's sensible in any offseason. I would add Martina to the should be waived list though and if Morgan continues to progress over the next two months I suspect one of Borman and Yourrassowky will probably be gone as well.

Where on the bubble is concerned I suspect Cann will be waived because what happened in Charleston will not have been forgiven or forgotten. Dunfield is another who could fit into the not brilliant but serviceable for now sort of category, in my opinion. I'd say there are lots of players on the bubble though and only Frei, Henry, Morgan, Frings, Avila, Stinson, Koevermans and unfortunately JDG are pretty much certs to be back at this point, while the rest still have a lot to play for between now and the end of the season given it will be memories of the last six weeks that will be most fresh in Winter's minds when he makes the final decisions on this.

1. DeGuzman's contract- I looked on transfermrkt.co.uk to see what the length of his contract was and found it said it ran out in June of 2011. So I'm not sure if he's just staying for the rest of the season to finish a 3 year contract since he was signed mid-season it would make sense that he would still be signed past the mid-season.

2. Bouchiba- I have no clue, I dont think anyone knows what his injury is and when he will be back. He's an international spot and if he's not playing its not affecting anything but if he makes it on to the active player list. There might be a problem. Right now I think he will be gone.

3. Martina- He reminds me of Nani for Manchester United or Anderson. They are good talent but they need playing time in order to get going. I think he's talented and he should stay. I would rather keep him than keep a guy like Harden for another year.

4. Harden- How you think we should keep Harden is beyond me considering he has cost the team vital goals. The only time Harden is useful is when the play is infront of him and the team is defending on their own side, but when the team is attacking and he is playing offsides, he is a massive liability, because he does not have the ability to catch up to anyone on the counter attack. Harden has been burned twice for pace by Juan Pablo Angel, and Jose Moreno(Mind you they had the ball at their feet and still out ran Harden). Two guys who are probably the slowest strikers in the league.

5. Borman & Yourassowsky- Yeah I have to agree that they can be replaced, but it would be hard to find a backup left back or left winger. For now they are the type of veteran players we need to be back ups in those positions, but it would be nice if we can find someone in the draft to be the backups. I would like to see players who are internationals to be starters on our team.

CSO_BBTB
09-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Harden was number four on the depth chart in salary terms when the season started. We are only seeing so much of him this year because of an unusual set of circumstances in injury terms. The question should be can we replace him with better for the sort of money he is being paid or less rather than should he be starting. An example of what could spell the end for him in a TFC context is if a Generation Adidas player, who plays centre back, is brought in with an early first round draft pick because that would mean that the question I posed can almost certainly be answered with a yes.

West220Side
09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
;1373718']
1. Bouchiba, who is this guy? The invisible man?

2. Sturgis, he never closes anyone down and never bothers to tackle anyone. His playing style can be considered similar to a "taller" player in his position, but he is not much physically imposing than Plata.

3. Harden, he is good at central defender, but his change of direction is too wide and he does not have the speed to keep up. Plain and simple, he's too slow.

4. Gold, hasn't really done much to say he has something to offer and is too similar to Sturgis, but with a lesser sense of trying to fill space.

5. Omphroy, he must be hanging out with Bouchiba somewhere, because I have never seen him.

Alright.

1. Bouchiba, totally disagree on this player being waived, he hasn't had an appearance Winter has said that he brought him in to be a leader in the midfield. Winter obviously sees something in him, I would like to give him a season of actual opportunity as he is injured this season.

2. Sturgis, I disagree that he should be waived, but I don't wish to have him here. He is i'm sure still wanted in the MLS after his time with Seattle.

3. Harden, I again disagree that he should be waived, i'm sure many teams would probably have him for depth at the centre back positon. However in my opinion he isn't "tough" enough to be on our defensive line.

4. Gold, hasn't impressed at all, totally agree. Hit the road.

5. Omphroy, disagree 100%, he's a fullback who Winter has also given time on the wing. Looks promising, has performed well in MLS games, and has performed great in reserve matches. Looks promising, next year will be his year to break onto the bench, or even onto the pitch. Winter is obviously grooming him for something.

CSO_BBTB
09-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Would be nice to think something good can be obtained for Sturgis in a trade, but given Winter doesn't seem too keen on him wouldn't it have happened by now if it were on the cards?

ryan
09-06-2011, 09:37 AM
googling JDG's contract will give you various media pieces about him being tied to TFC through 2012.

I'm sure they are all regurgitating the same information from one source, but CBC/TSN/etc all reported it as that date.

CoachGT
09-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Personally, I'm not sold on the prospects coming through the draft. They need more seasoning. Few college prospects are ready to play at this level - unlike throw-ball, college does not prepare players to be professional.

Although we have been successful in past drafts (mainly because of the efforts of Tim Regan IMO), this year's draft is a better measurement of draft value going forward. Plata came from a professional team in Uruguay and was better suited than most to play professionally. Omphroy is half decent, but is learning the trade through the reserves - he's not ready yet to play regularly on the first team. Even players from a couple of drafts ago are still projects on a lot of teams. Remember, it took Frei a good chunk of his first season to get the starting job, a position where college did not impede development as much as other positions.

Draft strategy is hit and miss at best, and I suspect the current coaching staff (including Mariner) see it as a crap shoot that may generate a player or two, mainly for depth.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-06-2011, 11:00 AM
DP contracts can be renegotiated in the off season so if TFC wants to pay him to jog on, they can

Ossington Mental Youth
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Plata came from Barcelona in Ecuador

mdc 77
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm not a huge proponent of the MLS draft but its one area that TFC has had success in. I don't think you can argue much with the following players attained via the SuperDraft;
Frei, Plata, Edu, Cronin and Julius James (traded for DeRo)

fyi...pretty sure Plata is on loan from LDU Quito.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-06-2011, 01:43 PM
my bad, definitely Quito not Barcelona (of Ecuador)

CoachGT
09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm not a huge proponent of the MLS draft but its one area that TFC has had success in. I don't think you can argue much with the following players attained via the SuperDraft;
Frei, Plata, Edu, Cronin and Julius James (traded for DeRo)

fyi...pretty sure Plata is on loan from LDU Quito.

Frei - didn't start playing until part way through his first season, and I believe keepers are a different story than field players - college plays them like pro teams do. And Frei had a half season with Toshack, a professional coach, before he really started seeing regular time.

Plata - professional, not college developed.

Edu - first player chosen in the draft on an expansion team. He had to play that year.

Cronin - didn't play regularly in position during his first year , was shifted around a bit (as a defender, attacking mid, holding mid), came on as depth behind Robinson a few times.

Julius James - not an immediate starter with TFC either; bounced through a few teams (Houston, DC) before getting a real shot with Columbus.

I'm not saying draftees can't develop into solid players, but few of them have an immediate impact. They are usually 2-3 years out from their draft year. And, as stated above, Regan was heavily involved in those drafts (all except Plata), so the magic of past drafts may not be there any more.

Go deeper than just those few players though.

OBW - injured but coming back from injury had a very difficult time cracking a mediocre lineup.

Wynne - saw more time coming to an expansion team than he saw for NYRB the previous season.

Tony Tchani - highly drafted but couldn't crack the NYRB lineup and was moved as a result. May be a good player, just not there yet.

There are a lot of examples of high draft picks that don't make it, and I think the odds are even higher against soccer players coming through the NCAA than other sports.

Juanito
09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
First of all [NBF], I commend you for starting a thread that analyzes the squad that is actually positive for a change. Thank you!!

The Superdraft is a mix-bag. We've gotten a few gems (Plata, Edu, Frei) but for the most part, I think it's not a great way to build a team. HOWEVER, I agree with you that we should be building from the back out so we should be drafting fullbacks, especially centre-backs and see what we can get.

We should be supplementing players via the reserves, and personally, we should be scouting the Americas for players to play on the reserves. This is the only way we can create a sustainable supply of players. Assuming we don't throw the baby out of the plane, and we stick to our system, we need to feed the system so it can crank out decent players. In the mean time, we need to find a few impact players, possibly get that third DP and when JDGs contract expires, find another DP that can bring butts back into the seats of BMO. We need another "sexy" DP and a "functional" DP. The former will excite the populous (striker or attacking mid) and the latter would be a necessary cog in the machine, but not necessarily a well-known player.

Wooster_TFC
09-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I disagree that we should be targeting a specific position in the draft. From now on, the draft MUST be treated as a pick the best player available situation. If we have more than one player that are the same level (or perceived level) available, then we can select one based on our weaknesses, rather than simply picking the best player available. The amount of players that jump out of the draft and become starting players, let alone defenders (yeah, sure, point out Gonzalez and Ream) in their first year out of the gate is miniscule. You will not be developing our starting 11 through the draft.

That said, Winter's top priority in the offseason has to be solidifying his CB partnership. I think a single good signing could solidify it and give him the leader he needs at the back. Depending on Morgan's development, you might see a LB signing, and if Ecks heads back to England then we NEED a RB.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I don't see a full revamp of the backline. I see one CB brought in, with Cann/Iro/Williams filling out the other position. Could see a new RB if Ecks leaves, and a new LB if Morgan doesn't establish himself by the end of the year.

DoubleUp
09-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Tfc should look at trying to bring fc edmontons kyle Porter in the team next year, would fit Winters tactics like a glove and to play him in the front 3 alongside Johnson and Koevs would be magic .:tfc:

This is all opinion ofcourse.

MG42
09-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Tfc should look at trying to bring fc edmontons kyle Porter in the team next year, would fit Winters tactics like a glove and to play him in the front 3 alongside Johnson and Koevs would be magic .:tfc:

you can't be throwing that out there without a wikipedia link lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Porter

colman1860
09-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Frei - didn't start playing until part way through his first season, and I believe keepers are a different story than field players - college plays them like pro teams do. And Frei had a half season with Toshack, a professional coach, before he really started seeing regular time.

Not true. Frei started that season's first game in Kansas City ahead of Sutton/Edwards, and never relinquished his spot.

[NBF]
09-19-2011, 09:11 PM

I'm not sure someone who can't the Whitecaps Roster should be given nothing more than a trial.

you can't be throwing that out there without a wikipedia link lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Porter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Porter)

Did you giggle like a girl when you read the last sentence? I kinda did, and I don't know if that last entry is true or not, but in a club room so divided like ours, I'm getting sick and tired of the sick kids, the undisciplined, and if TFC were to sign this guy, "The Prima Donnas"(joke).

Im not trying to be an asshole, but you know how people will handle his situation and it only takes a handfull of meatheads to start a "flamer" chant.

The same rules apply to him as everyone else. If he's good enough = trial contract. If he wants a full-time contract, he will have to get one from another team and parachute into a full-time contract with TFC in a trade.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
feel like he tried outw ith us at some point (Porter)

oxygenatedbrain
09-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Yep, back when Mista was training/waiting for the window to open...Ornoch was also practicing here at the time...

prizby
09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
there is a reason i don't read this thread...i coudln't remember..then i looked at your starting line up...Iro ahead of Williams, Martina???

yeah

PopePouri
09-20-2011, 12:47 PM
there is a reason i don't read this thread...i coudln't remember..then i looked at your starting line up...Iro ahead of Williams, Martina???

yeah

Let's put Soolsma where he's most prolific. In front of goal.

Wooster_TFC
09-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Let's put Soolsma where he's most prolific. In front of goal.

Zavarise as a DM for the win!

I love how this gets a sticky, but I would have to continually bump my two threads about squad depth and roster spots in order to keep them alive.

[NBF]
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM

yeah

I feel I need to clarify a few things.

Martina is the best right winger we have, and unless you can get rid of half the team, again, in the search of players who can play Winter's system. I don't think next season we will be seeing an influx of "better" players at his position. Mark down the position as Martina's to lose for next season, but he will definitely get some resistance from Marosevic.

Soolsma, I think he's more of an attacking midfielder, but he's definitely slow and indicisive when taking a shot. He definitely has more quality than most players in MLS. Look at Alan Gordon, no skill dribbling the ball, but he definitely takes space and would fit on this team as a depth player at the striker position. That is what I consider Soolsma. He's a much better depth player than most depth players in MLS and we have him. Unless he's released to make room for another international.

Iro, he's definitely the best centre back we have ever had on this team. He is physical, which we like, he can play his position, as consistent as most CB's in the MLS, and he's not as slow as a riding mower. I don't mind Williams, Henry, Viator, or Robinson (when he was with TFC), but I feel that if you can't beat out Ty Harden in the starting lineup you are definitely only good to TFC as a depth player. I'm not liking Iro's gaffs, but he definitely needs a better defending partner than fuckin Harden.

Island Man
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh dear.

DoubleUp
09-21-2011, 03:39 AM
I was never privy to the wiki entry:facepalm:. but if you watch this:
http://youtu.be/RkLpmMVkcg8
you'll see he has what takes to hold a roster spot in our team.

Terry Dunfield was also from the Caps.

That being said Dressing room Harmony is always important.

I have said my piece.

[NBF]
09-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I think Cordon is a similar player. Stinson has impressed me. Zavarise is on the bubble but has been decent when called upon. I think we have good depth.

Greatest Ripoff
09-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know how Nicholas Lindsay's rehab is coming along?

[NBF]
10-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I just wanna throw this out there, would you consider this a playoff team if the team were to sign a DP centre back and start Yourassowsky and Avila at CM. Both of the CM are a bit weak but I think they are good going forward and hardworking.

---------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
--------------------------------Kocic----------------------------------
(3.Vacant)---------Iro-------------------(1.Vacant-DP)-------(2.Vacant)
Viator-------------Williams----------------D.Henry---------------Morgan
------------------------------------------K.Davies--------------Borman
------------------------------Frings(DP)--------------------------------
------------------------------(5.Vacant)-------------------------------
--------------------Avila-----------------Yourassowsky-----------------
------------------Stinson---------------------Zavarise-----------------
----------------------------------------------Cordon-------------------
Martina---------------------------------------------------------Johnson
Marosevic---------------------------------------------------------Griffit
Makubuya-------------------------------------------------------Lindsay
----------------------------Koevermans(DP)----------------------------
-------------------------------(4.Vacant)------------------------------
--------------------------------Soolsma--------------------------------

Island Man
10-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Don't rate Yourassowsky much, wouldn't want him as a starter.

CSO_BBTB
10-06-2011, 01:45 AM
With the possible exception of Kyle Davies I think any experienced player who played in the reserve game on Saturday morning against NYRB is highly likely to feature prominently on unprotected lists for Montreal's expansion draft and waiver and/or reentry draft lists. That would be Yourassowsky, Martina, Griffit and Viator basically.

[NBF]
10-06-2011, 09:03 AM
left wingers are hard to find, I would like it if they would keep Yourassowsky, but in truth unless he's starting he's taking up an international spot. Viator same thing.

Martina, IMO would be great on any team, I bet he will be picked up by someone if he is placed on the unprotected list. He's sort of like a Jermaine Pennant type of player. He's just in the wrong system.

Detroit_TFC
10-06-2011, 11:48 AM
All season I had Harden on my "must cut" list. But after the last few games, I'm not sure. His positioning has improved - a lot. Is he on the up, or is this just a side benefit from having Frings doing what he's been doing?

Stouffville_RPB
10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
All season I had Harden on my "must cut" list. But after the last few games, I'm not sure. His positioning has improved - a lot. Is he on the up, or is this just a side benefit from having Frings doing what he's been doing?

The CBs are not good enough. Frings is supposed to be a shield for the defense and play in front of them. Frings is always having to play as a sweeper now because the CB's are not capable of playing on a level that give TFC a chance to win game in game out. Until Frings can go back to playing where he should be playing we need an upgrade at CB.

Harden seems good enough to be a #4 CB in the league but he's playing every game for us.

Ideally our CB depth would look like this next season;
#1 New signing - An unquestioned #1 CB rock
#2 Cann/Williams - One of these 2 would pair with the signing regularly the other would be #3
#4 Harden/Iro/Davies - These guys fight for a spot on the roster or are traded/released
#5 Doneil Henry - Next season you hopefully see him surpass the 3 mentioned above him.

Detroit_TFC
10-06-2011, 01:12 PM
^ good analysis, makes sense.

starter
10-06-2011, 02:37 PM
;1388246']left wingers are hard to find, I would like it if they would keep Yourassowsky, but in truth unless he's starting he's taking up an international spot. Viator same thing.

Martina, IMO would be great on any team, I bet he will be picked up by someone if he is placed on the unprotected list. He's sort of like a Jermaine Pennant type of player. He's just in the wrong system.

If he can not make it in his own 433, where would he do better? He needs to start working his ass off -- huge talent going to waste.

Stouffville_RPB
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
If he can not make it in his own 433, where would he do better? He needs to start working his ass off -- huge talent going to waste.

100% correct. He's been playing in the 4-3-3 since he was a kid in the Ajax system headed by Aron Winter.

For Winter to bring him over one would think that Winter was one of his biggests supporters. Having seen Martina at his best and worst Winter knew exactly what Martina was capable of (and better than most coaches know their signings immediately). If Martina can't find a place in Winter's team now he doesn't deserve to have one in my opinion.

prizby
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
;1381120']I feel I need to clarify a few things.

Martina is the best right winger we have, and unless you can get rid of half the team, again, in the search of players who can play Winter's system. I don't think next season we will be seeing an influx of "better" players at his position. Mark down the position as Martina's to lose for next season, but he will definitely get some resistance from Marosevic.

Soolsma, I think he's more of an attacking midfielder, but he's definitely slow and indicisive when taking a shot. He definitely has more quality than most players in MLS. Look at Alan Gordon, no skill dribbling the ball, but he definitely takes space and would fit on this team as a depth player at the striker position. That is what I consider Soolsma. He's a much better depth player than most depth players in MLS and we have him. Unless he's released to make room for another international.

Iro, he's definitely the best centre back we have ever had on this team. He is physical, which we like, he can play his position, as consistent as most CB's in the MLS, and he's not as slow as a riding mower. I don't mind Williams, Henry, Viator, or Robinson (when he was with TFC), but I feel that if you can't beat out Ty Harden in the starting lineup you are definitely only good to TFC as a depth player. I'm not liking Iro's gaffs, but he definitely needs a better defending partner than fuckin Harden.

Martina already lost the position because he is also slow and he doesn't practice hard at all...he'll be gone

iro the best CB...what world you from. He is by far the best player in the last couple of years, in heading the ball; god that was difficult for some in the past, but speed burns...he is a #3 CB at best in this league and someone you look for if you need a defensive substitute to step in

and soolsma; slow, technical; reason why he played in the dutch amateur league...if he was a bit less $ and didn't eat up an international spot, i'd say keep him

IF we weren't to bring in any changes and all were healthy and our loans became permanent, THEN here is what 2011 starting line up would look like

--------frei------------
eck-dicoy-cann-morgan
-------frings-jdg-------
--------avila-----------
johnson-----------plata
------koevermans------

don't know where you get off with the no JDG considering he is UNDER CONTRACT through 2012

starter
10-06-2011, 03:17 PM
soolsma; slow, technical; reason why he played in the dutch amateur league...if he was a bit less $

Slightly off topic, but I am just wondering if the dutch players were better off living off welfare in Holland than collecting an MLS paycheck? If it was even smaller, would it help motivating them at all?

Yohan
10-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Slightly off topic, but I am just wondering if the dutch players were better off living off welfare in Holland than collecting an MLS paycheck? If it was even smaller, would it help motivating them at all?
you're not worth your salt as a footballer if you'd rather be collecting a welfare check than football.

i seriously hope that one of the reasons why footballers play football is that they want to play the game and not just for money

zamperina
10-07-2011, 01:41 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/PaulStalteriCanada.png/250px-PaulStalteriCanada.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PaulStalteriCanada.png)

Speaking of Stalteri I think we should bring him in on trail for next season. If we end up signing Eck then we could move him into Central Defense and have Stalteri take his position as a wingback.

Yohan
10-07-2011, 01:57 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/PaulStalteriCanada.png/250px-PaulStalteriCanada.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PaulStalteriCanada.png)

Speaking of Stalteri I think we should bring him in on trail for next season. If we end up signing Eck then we could move him into Central Defense and have Stalteri take his position as a wingback.
Eh. Stalteri will be 34. Just how much pace will he have left? As a short term signing on a low wage, I'd be ok for a look, but I'd rather look at younger, more long term options.

Eckersley's best attribute IMO is good attacking runs he makes. As CB, he'd be negated in doing that. plus he doesn't like to play CB

zamperina
10-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Eh. Stalteri will be 34. Just how much pace will he have left? As a short term signing on a low wage, I'd be ok for a look, but I'd rather look at younger, more long term options.

Eckersley's best attribute IMO is good attacking runs he makes. As CB, he'd be negated in doing that. plus he doesn't like to play CB

I agree with your assesment, possibly a sub off the bench instead of Borman would be more suitable and we gain an international slot.

PopePouri
10-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I agree with your assesment, possibly a sub off the bench instead of Borman would be more suitable and we gain an international slot.

I agree. Sort of like Hjeduk for LA.

ag futbol
10-07-2011, 07:55 PM
We should look at Shaun Saiko from FCE, first team NASL, Canadian, 21 ...

Island Man
10-08-2011, 04:38 AM
We should look at Shaun Saiko from FCE, first team NASL, Canadian, 21 ...
Yeah I really rate him but I think another year in the NASL would be better for him.

[NBF]
10-19-2011, 08:14 AM
So, what happened all of a sudden the rebuilding thread was voted off the "sticky status"? I think we're still rebuilding we just have to wait and see what the other teams in the league do in the offseason as well we gotta see who we put up in the expansion draft and see how we stack up.

Oldtimer
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
It got replaced by a new thread (same topic, different title, as its now the next next year).

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29859