PDA

View Full Version : MLS in Canada: Hope for Haiti

Klinsmann
09-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Hi guys, I came across this on facebook, and made a small donation the other day.

I thought it post it on here in case anyone else is interested...

MLS in Canada: Hope for Haiti
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/MLS-in-Canada-Hope-for-Haiti/180919408644157

In 2010, Haiti was crushed by an earthquake that claimed an estimated 300,000 lives, left another 300,000 injured, and rendered 1,000,000 homeless.

This December, Bilal Duckett and Matt Gold will travel to Haiti in attempt to help Haitians in Port au Prince and Lagonove. These young MLS players will work soccer camps for the children, teach the Gospel to all who will listen, visit orphanages, and deliver supplies.

The cost is $1300/player, and any donations will help cover airfare, accomodations, food, and supplies for the entire trip.

Please donate and help these players help out the global community!

Phil
09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
bump for a good cause

Borga
09-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm sure teaching the gospel will be really helpful to those that are homeless and starving.

Oldtimer
09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm sure teaching the gospel will be really helpful to those that are homeless and starving.

You missed the part about delivering supplies.

One helps the physical needs, the other helps the psychological suffering that people have gone through. It's all part of the wholistic approach that many groups use now a days.

One good thing about having MLS players take their own time to do things like this is that a player with a pro club can really be a positive example to those kids.

Borga
09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Oh, I didn't miss it, it's nice that they're delivering supplies. Personally, if I was a survivor of a terrible disaster and still suffering, I could probably live without getting preached to by some professional soccer players.

BakaGaijin
09-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Haiti was a shithole before this disaster and it will be a shithole forever.

If Western countries want to help these people out they would let the Haitians immigrate to their countries and leave that shithole forever. The place has no fucking trees because they cut them all down to make charcoal.

If donating money makes people sleep better at night........more power to ya. However, you ain't changing anything over there.

The fact anyone in this day and age still believes in God, Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny beyond five years of age is rather sad.

DichioTFC
09-02-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm all for charity, but this is beyond stupid. I fail to see the connection with two MLS reserve league players and a disaster area. It seems like the league told teams to send their most expendable players and write a positive story about it later (starring bleeding heart supporters who helped finance the trip... the article practically writes itself). And shouldn't this multi-million dollar company, MLS, foot the bill? Asking fans to donate when we're already being gouged on ticket prices / parking / concessions? Hell, if the owners of TFC and Whitecaps donated 10 cents per ticket sold for the next league home game, they would have more than enough for this cause.

Personally, I agree with BakaGaijin. Haiti was literally the worst economy in the Western Hemisphere before the earthquake. Its unfortunate for those families who lost loved ones, but beyond that, nothing of value was lost. Besides, because the British Monarch's representative at the time (which we still have for some fucking reason - different story for different time) happened to be from Haiti, $50 million in public funds, our tax dollars, went to this Haiti anyways. I would much rather have had that money go to those affected by the auto industry in Windsor and Oshawa than into a forsaken wasteland.

/rant

Troll
09-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Oh, I didn't miss it, it's nice that they're delivering supplies. Personally, if I was a survivor of a terrible disaster and still suffering, I could probably live without getting preached to by some professional soccer players.

If you don't like the thread, just move on. Some TFC players are going out of their way to help others. Why shit on what they're doing or what methods are being used. When was the last time you flew over seas to help others?

I don't see how your opinion on religion is valid. Go 'preach' somewhere else.

Oldtimer
09-02-2011, 09:21 AM
The place has no fucking trees because they cut them all down to make charcoal.

The fact anyone in this day and age still believes in God, Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny beyond five years of age is rather sad.

This is bigoted.

Board rules:

Article 1: Racism, Bigotry, Discrimination or Prejudice
Soccer is a game that unites the world and is beyond race, religion or creed. Racist behavior and comments that lead to discrimination or prejudice will not be tolerated under any circumstances. It will result in an automatic Ban or even a permanent expulsion without explanation.