PDA

View Full Version : Timbers Army

DichioTFC
08-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Its ridiculous how much power the Timbers Army have. It helps having a fan-oriented owner, but wow, this article blew me away.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-17915-gang_green.html

__wowza
08-31-2011, 10:28 AM
i believe it.

certain owners understand supporters culture, certain owners dont. its been a constant criticism of mine throughout the years that got lost in the sea of "blame MLSE", emphasized on my banner on the south end last year on the final game of the season:

"last one out get the lights
Love, MLSE"

aside from the town halls, which were a last minute resort to avert all hell breaking loose, what have MLSE done to acknowledge the diehard support they receive from groups like this? the supporters gate (don't worry.. we'll get that iron fence someday..)?

i said it at the town hall and i'll say it again, except this time i wont have my hand up for an hour and a half, we're called "a very vocal minority" by our owners and "the most important x-factor imaginable" by jimmy b. whenever we net a goal, whenever we're scored on, whenever they need promotional material or whenever they want to point out reason to buy stock to the folks up in the VIP seats.. they're ultimately pointing their cameras on us.

thats all i have to say about that.

BFin
08-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Wow. I am shocked that they get a portion of the proceeds from sales in the North End.

A lot of what they have merely stems from having a competent owner that knows where the money will consistently flow in year after year.

s2cazz
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
We should have a timber army section on the board.

maninb
08-31-2011, 12:13 PM
MLSE giving a rebate on ticket prices to a Supporters Group???? We've got a better chance of beating Man United 10-0....

mdc 77
08-31-2011, 12:32 PM
They don't get a rebate, they control the tickets in their section. Getting commision on sales made in their section.

Azerban
08-31-2011, 12:41 PM

no kidding

the constant Timbers jerk-fest is getting tedious

__wowza
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM

no kidding

you cant fault threads like this especially when they're started in downtime between matches. if they were started and given precedent over match threads or TFC news, then we'd be in serious trouble.

in the meantime, and this is a serious question, why do you bump threads by posting you distaste for them? i know this is a public forum and we all have our say, but seriously.. if youre not going to contribute anything other than "this again?" why bother?

BFin
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
no kidding

Because the normal topics discussed here are absolutely enthralling!

DichioTFC
08-31-2011, 04:15 PM

We could go back to discussing The Matrix rumours ;)

no kidding

Did this thread distract you from the NHL thread, Owen Hargreaves thread and the Ontario Hockey League thread (which are the three treads with the latest posts)?

Fine, no more Timbers Army discussion in this thread. We'll keep this strictly on RPBs other favourite topics: DeRo, ML$E, Winter, system, Plata, DeRo, former player, Interwebz thread.

:picard:

s2cazz
08-31-2011, 05:03 PM
you cant fault threads like this especially when they're started in downtime between matches. if they were started and given precedent over match threads or TFC news, then we'd be in serious trouble.

in the meantime, and this is a serious question, why do you bump threads by posting you distaste for them? i know this is a public forum and we all have our say, but seriously.. if youre not going to contribute anything other than "this again?" why bother?

because this getting annoying. I get it, TA are well organized and a large group and that's great. Its awesome that this is happening in NA. But I'm getting sick of all the love being thrown their way.

We could be better IF we had $ thrown at us from our front office and help to make our displays like a pulley system like they do. And don't forget the biggest thing, our supporters actually put supporting the team ahead of themselves during the match like they do.

So while I respect them, I still don't like them and I'm certainly not going to blow them under the bleachers like some here.

All the sexual tension between some of our members and the TA perhaps they should just fuck and get it over with.

s2cazz
08-31-2011, 05:05 PM
We could go back to discussing The Matrix rumours ;)

That's enough out of you Bunbury!

:)

jloome
08-31-2011, 05:12 PM
because this getting annoying. I get it, TA are well organized and a large group and that's great. Its awesome that this is happening in NA. But I'm getting sick of all the love being thrown their way.

We could be better IF we had $ thrown at us from our front office and help to make our displays like a pulley system like they do. And don't forget the biggest thing, our supporters actually put supporting the team ahead of themselves during the match like they do.

So while I respect them, I still don't like them and I'm certainly not going to blow them under the bleachers like some here.

All the sexual tension between some of our members and the TA perhaps they should just fuck and get it over with.

Funny, could've sworn the thread identified what it was about, meaning you could have just chosen not to read it. Do you write to TV stations you don't like as well, instead of just changing the channel?

Azerban
08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Fine, no more Timbers Army discussion in this thread. We'll keep this strictly on RPBs other favourite topics: DeRo, ML$E, Winter, system, Plata, DeRo, former player, Interwebz thread.

plata is cool

Azerban
08-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Funny, could've sworn the thread identified what it was about, meaning you could have just chosen not to read it.

Did it?

boban
08-31-2011, 06:25 PM
MLSE giving a rebate on ticket prices to a Supporters Group???? We've got a better chance of beating Man United 10-0....
This in here lies the problem.
For Portland one would say ..'rebate on ticket prices to the Timber Army'.
In Toronto we say supporters group(s).
There are too many groups for TFC. Too much disunity. Each faction pulling there own way doing their own thing.
In Portland you see what you get when everyone is under one unified voice.

Heart of Stone
08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Most of the Portland fans arrive before the anthem(s) ... unlike BMO where it is cool to show up 10+ min. after the game has started... but, oh yeah, it's because of the GO Train schedule...

adamdz
08-31-2011, 06:38 PM
This in here lies the problem.
For Portland one would say ..'rebate on ticket prices to the Timber Army'.
In Toronto we say supporters group(s).
There are too many groups for TFC. Too much disunity. Each faction pulling there own way doing their own thing.
In Portland you see what you get when everyone is under one unified voice.

If all the groups joined together we would probably have 500-600 members, 1/2 of which are inactive/dead weight, and the other 1/2 not being able to decide on anything. This city needs a miracle.

Brooker
08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Portland Circle Jerk... Wooooooooo

Heart of Stone
08-31-2011, 06:46 PM
I suppose some of the hard-core supporter types in each of the groups are 5 years into supporting a losing team hard-core and are slowly but surely sliding into a new phase of their lives which doesn't include being a hard-core supporter of a losing soccer team in Toronto...

jloome
08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Did it?

It's called "Timber's Army", Az, I don't think he should've been stumped.

cherono
08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
It's gotta be the corn field maze...

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Maze.jpg

s2cazz
08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
It's called "Timber's Army", Az, I don't think he should've been stumped.

it's also not rocket science to realize that this is a Toronto FC supporter group. Not the fucking Timber Army.

TA is not the "ultimate" supporter group. We are not them and we will never be them so can we stop comparing ourselves to them.

Brooker
08-31-2011, 07:56 PM
“Guys, you’ve got to come out, you gotta get your log slices,” Paulson recalls saying as he dragged Jewsbury and Perlaza back on the field. “The fans want to recognize you.”

lmao joke of a club.

__wowza
08-31-2011, 08:07 PM

I get the harsh sentiment, I don't agree with it but it's obviously shared by a lot of folks here. I think it's good seeing what a lot of the other supporters groups are doing in the MLS, and it only makes us step up our game. Hopefully MLSE takes note of how some of the other supporters are treated by their owners and takes note. No use arguing about it because everyone has their opinion on matters like this, but I've stated the positives above. Threads like this aren't gonna die down anytime soon, so all I'm saying is that there's no use shooting it down and getting pissed about it.

nfitz
08-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Most of the Portland fans arrive before the anthem(s) ... unlike BMO where it is cool to show up 10+ min. after the game has started... but, oh yeah, it's because of the GO Train schedule...I'd thought it was because there are other things to do in Toronto ... what is there in Portland ... the mall?

Shakes McQueen
08-31-2011, 08:36 PM
I've got tons of respect for the Portland supporters, and the sublime atmosphere they have created at their stadium. I don't mind talking about them on this board - this is the TFC/MLS news section, after all.

That said, I do wish we'd spend a little less time having constant envy for anything other supporters get. That part gets tedious.

- Scott

Pookie
08-31-2011, 08:42 PM
It perks one's eyebrows to read:

"Its founders rejected the slick, team-approved branding that goes along with many booster clubs... The Army wants an identity independent of the team it loves—like a teenager who rebels but will never move out of the house."

And then read that they are "taking a cut of the ticket sales from the stadium’s North End."

So, they desire independence yet in their desire to grow and be financially sustainable they have hitched their wagon to team ticket sales.

The desire for money and power will need to be tempered if they are to stay true to their roots. It is a tricky path ahead for the TA.

To support their desire to grow and "one up themselves" each year in terms of their support and TIFOs, they may reach a point where the ticket sales piece becomes a necessity in their financial model. If so, power shifts back to the club.

And like any organization, you need to be extremely well organized to support rapid growth. Without a solid, well working foundation... well, the foundation simply crumbles as the weight it carries grows.

AL-MO
08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
And like any organization, you need to be extremely well organized to support rapid growth. Without a solid, well working foundation... well, the foundation simply crumbles as the weight it carries grows.

QFT.

mowe
08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
There's more people complaining about the "Timbers jerk-fest" than people "blowing them under the bleachers." Come on guys, get a grip. If you actually read the article you'd realize that it's definitely worth talking about (especially during a two-week TFC break).

I can't believe they get a cut from the tickets sold in their section. Is this common in leagues overseas? Seems kinda crazy to me, the group has revenues of over $200k. I don't know what a supporter's group would be doing with that kind of money.

Also interesting to know that players are uncomfortable with the influence of the TA. I tend to agree with them. The article was right to bring up what would happen in a few years once the novelty wears off for the casual fans. It's going to be a tough balancing act for the owner. The Timbers Army is essential for promoting the brand but the majority of ticket buyers are not supporters. Hopefully something can be learned from the TFC situation.

For now, let's show the Timbers Army some respect for putting on the best atmosphere in the MLS. Dick sucking optional.

AL-MO
08-31-2011, 08:57 PM
There's more people complaining about the "Timbers jerk-fest" than people "blowing them under the bleachers." Come on guys, get a grip. If you actually read the article you'd realize that it's definitely worth talking about (especially during a two-week TFC break).

I can't believe they get a cut from the tickets sold in their section. Is this common in leagues overseas? Seems kinda crazy to me, the group has revenues of over $200k. I don't know what a supporter's group would be doing with that kind of money.

Also interesting to know that players are uncomfortable with the influence of the TA. I tend to agree with them. The article was right to bring up what would happen in a few years once the novelty wears off for the casual fans. It's going to be a tough balancing act for the owner. The Timbers Army is essential for promoting the brand but the majority of ticket buyers are not supporters. Hopefully something can be learned from the TFC situation.

For now, let's show the Timbers Army some respect for putting on the best atmosphere in the MLS. Dick sucking optional.

Supporters / Ultras have a crazy amount of power overseas.

DichioTFC
08-31-2011, 09:20 PM
honestly guys, i found an interesting article about an MLS supporters group that i enjoyed reading about and i figgered my fellow RPBs would enjoy reading as well. the intention for posting it wasn't to jerk off TA but to trigger a discussion about areas that we could improve with our owners (striving for better).

i get that we're all bitter and cranky because our team sucks, but really? we can't go 5 posts without bickering? i visit other supporters' websites once in awhile and they post stuff about other teams' supporter groups and discuss it openly (even stuff *gasp* thats complimentary of toronto!).

and for all the accusations of wanting to give fellatio to the Timbers Army, I've never created a thread about the Timbers Army and I dont recall discussing them in any post beyond the one game thread we had recently. I think those who are so sensitive about it have more sexual frustration than anything else ;)

anyhoo, either :topic: or close thread

DavydMT
08-31-2011, 10:33 PM

both Chicago and DC get a cut from the tickets sold. If you look overseas, organized groups have strong connections to the club and community.

as for the $200k, money are used for displays and invested back into the community and help develop football at the grass roots. Pitch Invasion http://pitch-invasion.org/ is just one of the projects they have.

Thank you for posting this Nav, interesting read.

Juanito
09-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Supporters / Ultras have a crazy amount of power overseas.

To be honest, in some places, the supporters have TOO much power. I doubt and I would discourage for that to happen here. A happy compromise needs to occur. I will cautiously keep my eye out at the situation there because I can see there being a backlash to that kind of support. It has happened here, much of it has to do with the fact that we are being marginalised. According to the article, they have 3600 seats, I'll assume that most of them are members or friends of members. If we united, we have two sections (and not all of it I might add) in the south end, less than 20%.

james
09-05-2011, 04:43 PM

watch The Real Football Factories International, can often find on youtube and such. Whether people hate danny dyer or not, it really shows you the power some supporters have in Countries such as Argentina, Italy, Croatia, Holland, Poland. Its quite crazy from free tickets, getting payed from teams, owning there own team hanguts and pubs to having control of there team managers and players and access to the stadium trophy cases and having there own butlers..

Theres also Foreign fields. Also shows some supporters power.