PDA

View Full Version : Which MLS Club will go the deepest in the CCL?

Oldtimer
08-23-2011, 08:22 AM
We all hope that TFC will go as far as possible in the CCL, maybe even win it, if they can hold on long enough for the team to be further rebuilt and to build up familiarity. However, which club do you think is likeliest to go the furthest, and maybe even win the trophy?

ryan
08-23-2011, 08:28 AM
I think LA is the likely winner of it this year but I wouldn't rule us out. If we can get out of our group, improve a bit over the offseason and winter transfer window, we could make some things happen in the spring.

Oldtimer
08-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Here's some food for thought:

Colorado: Won their opener. A really solid team.

FC Dallas: A solid squad, has the advantage of a weaker group stage. The only MLS squad to win in Mexico.

LA Galaxy: Close to a lock for the Supporters' Shield. The addition of Keene make them a balanced and strong squad.

Seattle: Probably has the strongest home atmosphere. Sigi always has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Toronto: The team is coming together and seems to do well against CONCACAF opposition. De Guzman, in particular, shines in these matches.

Yohan
08-23-2011, 08:30 AM
could be any team, pending on how seriously CCL is taken. except for toronto, all other teams are concentrating on playoffs first

btw, it's dallas who won in mexico

Oldtimer
08-23-2011, 08:33 AM
could be any team, pending on how seriously CCL is taken. except for toronto, all other teams are concentrating on playoffs first

btw, it's dallas who won in mexico

Corrected my post.

kodiakTFC
08-23-2011, 08:38 AM
If LA puts their strongest side out then they should go the deepest, if not win the thing.

MartinUtd
08-23-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm inclined to say TFC. Bias is shining through but I don't see Dallas maintaining form if they sell George John to Blackburn. LA and Seattle will implode as their focus is on the league, same goes for Colorado who have bigger injury problems this year. Bingo, TFC goes the furthest.

ManUtd4ever
08-23-2011, 09:15 AM
I love the optimism, but TFC is going to have a difficult time just qualifying for the knockout stage. I would suggest that all four American MLS clubs are still stronger than TFC at this point, mainly because of the lack of depth on our backline. Nonetheless, it wouldn't surprise me if all five MLS clubs advance this year for the first time in CCL history. I would also suggest that LA has the potential to go the furthest in the tournament.

Yohan
08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I'd argue that FC Dallas has the best chance to go far, though loss of John will hurt Dallas. However, they have depth to make up for that, and a lot of it due to team chemistry.

LA is doing well because Arena plays a really ugly counterattacking game and seems to rely on individual brilliance more than team effort to get the goals IMO. At least compared to Dallas's game. Also, LA's depth on CB is questionable with AJ De La Garza who is a good MLS rightback but I don't think is good enough MLS CB. first one off the bench is 38, 39 yr old Gregg Berhalter who is a good leader, but just too slow. If Omar Gonzalez or even De La Garza goes down to injury, LA is going to be in trouble.

Remember, Dallas is playing great without MLS MVP David Ferreira who may come back from injury in late Sept-early Oct period. Healthy Ferreira and watch Dallas offence explode (Santos is going to be scary when Ferreira starts feeding him the ball)

kodiakTFC
08-23-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd argue that FC Dallas has the best chance to go far, though loss of John will hurt Dallas. However, they have depth to make up for that, and a lot of it due to team chemistry.

LA is doing well because Arena plays a really ugly counterattacking game and seems to rely on individual brilliance more than team effort to get the goals IMO. At least compared to Dallas's game. Also, LA's depth on CB is questionable with AJ De La Garza who is a good MLS rightback but I don't think is good enough MLS CB. first one off the bench is 38, 39 yr old Gregg Berhalter who is a good leader, but just too slow. If Omar Gonzalez or even De La Garza goes down to injury, LA is going to be in trouble.

Remember, Dallas is playing great without MLS MVP David Ferreira who may come back from injury in late Sept-early Oct period. Healthy Ferreira and watch Dallas offence explode (Santos is going to be scary when Ferreira starts feeding him the ball)

I'm thinking Ferreira starts off slow and picks up come next season but I agree that Santos, Ferreira and Shea sounds terrifying.

kodiakTFC
08-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Colorado and Seattle both sent weaker sides to their games today. Colorado might be able to pull off an upset against Real Espana in Honduras but Seattle will get mauled at Monterrey.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
i think seattle will based on squad (guess i could argue LA/Dallas on that too)
TFC should based on how much importance they are stressing, dunno if thatll turn out results tho

Roogsy
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I was initially going to pick Dallas but this latest signing by LA gives them the edge I think.

Redcoe15
08-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I'd say TFC for bias and also that our side is the only one out of MLS playoff contention so that they can now focus primarily on CCL. Sunday's game in Chicago notwithstanding, our side continues to gell nicely.

Reality wise, I'd go with LA. Especially with the recent addition of Robbie Keane to their lineup.

Carts
08-23-2011, 01:27 PM
I voted LA - just too many talented players on that roster...

But I have a gut feeling Seattle will do well also...

No rhyme or reason to it, just think they will - although, based on their home crowd for their first CCL game, they don't have that massive home atmosphere helping (which is the same boat we might find ourselves in)...

mowe
08-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I think Dallas or LA have the best chance in this tournament. They have the depth and quality needed against the Mexican teams.

Getting to the knockout stage will be a huge challenge for TFC because they have to get past Dallas or Pumas (both much better teams than TFC). We basically have to rely on Pumas playing their second team and FCD being tired/resting their starters for MLS. Even then there's no guarantee of anything.

The game tomorrow against Dallas will be crucial because we need the 3 points to put ourselves in a good position.

Carts
08-23-2011, 01:48 PM
I think Dallas or LA have the best chance in this tournament. They have the depth and quality needed against the Mexican teams.

Getting to the knockout stage will be a huge challenge for TFC because they have to get past Dallas or Pumas (both much better teams than TFC). We basically have to rely on Pumas playing their second team and FCD being tired/resting their starters for MLS. Even then there's no guarantee of anything.

The game tomorrow against Dallas will be crucial because we need the 3 points to put ourselves in a good position.

Agreed...

Even if I was a lawyer, I couldn't argue against there...

(Other than my gut feeling, and if my gut was ever right I'd be making money gambling at the sports book in Vegas! lol)

Blowing Bubbles
08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I would say Seattle cause of the specific latin players but they have a bitch of a group with Monterrey.

I don't trust LA to take it seriously enough as they are desperate to win the MLS Cup.

Gonna go with Dallas ..... a lot of latin talent and Brek Shea is an animal. Plus they also have a lot of value to gain in potential attendance with Mexican teams visiting them and their coach on MLS ET podcast said they're dead serious about this competition for building their name recognition in the area.

Blowing Bubbles
08-23-2011, 09:00 PM
I would say Seattle cause of the specific latin players but they have a bitch of a group with Monterrey.

I don't trust LA to take it seriously enough as they are desperate to win the MLS Cup.

Gonna go with Dallas ..... a lot of latin talent and Brek Shea is an animal. Plus they also have a lot of value to gain in potential attendance with Mexican teams visiting them and their coach on MLS ET podcast said they're dead serious about this competition for building their name recognition in the area.

butnahhhhhhhhhhhh

maninb
08-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Seattle beats Monterey....in Mexico!!! LMAO!!! So much for predictions....

Oldtimer
08-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Seattle beats Monterey....in Mexico!!! LMAO!!! So much for predictions....

Big news! Now two MLS squads have won in Mexico. The dam is breached.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Lets hope for a flood

J .
08-24-2011, 10:44 PM
tfc cuz fuck the rest of them

Auzzy
08-24-2011, 10:48 PM
TFC has the weather gods on their side, so anything could happen... ;)

james
08-25-2011, 03:05 AM
There is no way toronto is the best out of these 16 teams even tho i do hope they can do well. But seriously even when Toronto FC win they only just strugle to get by with a win, never dominate and take control of games. They dont have depth to do it. The only hope Toronto has of making it further into this tournament is if other teams dont take the tournament seriously and play 2nd and 3rd string line-ups.

Oldtimer
08-25-2011, 07:36 AM
There is no way toronto is the best out of these 16 teams even tho i do hope they can do well. But seriously even when Toronto FC win they only just strugle to get by with a win, never dominate and take control of games. They dont have depth to do it. The only hope Toronto has of making it further into this tournament is if other teams dont take the tournament seriously and play 2nd and 3rd string line-ups.

The hope is not that the current squad would win it, it's that they can hang on long enough for the off-season improvements that everyone knows will be coming.

Personally, I've tagged LA to win it all. We'll see!

drewski
08-25-2011, 08:26 AM
TorontoFC, cause obviously Mother Nature is a red!

Oldtimer
08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Galaxy "want to do our part" in league's success in CCL

CARSON, Calif. — Major League Soccer clubs have started the CONCACAF Champions League group stage on fire.
Entering the LA Galaxy’s match against Alajuelense on Thursday night (10 pm ET, Fox Soccer), MLS sides have compiled a 7-1-1 record after nine matches of the group stage. The only loss came because FC Dallas defeated fellow MLS side Toronto FC in Thursday morning’s rescheduled match.
“It says a lot about how far our league has come,” LA’s Landon Donovan said. “We have a long way to go, but it’s fun for us around the league to watch it. It’s encouraging and it makes us want to do our part, too.”
What has especially caught Donovan’s attention has been the first-ever wins that MLS teams have pulled out in Mexico. FC Dallas beat Pumas UNAM 1-0 last week while Seattle beat Monterrey on Tuesday.
“It’s fun to watch,” Donovan said. “The reality is, you look at a team like Monterrey with a payroll of — who knows? — $20, $25, $30, $40 million vs. a team with a $3 million payroll, it’s really impressive and especially when they’re traveling and winning there.”
LA will have their own chance of winning on Mexican soil for the first time when the club visits Morelia on Sept. 13, their third Champions League match. If the Galaxy can beat Alajuelense, they will head to Morelia with a group-best six points.
Thursday’s match will prove intriguing not just for the result. LA manager Bruce Arena will also have to juggle his players with an eye toward Sunday night’s nationally televised league match against the New York Red Bulls.
Arena has to shuffle his lineup with two massive games in the span of 72 hours. However, he says he has not made decisions over who to play and who to sit against Alajuelense and New York.
“We’re closer to knowing what we’re doing [Thursday] than we are on Sunday,” Arena said after Wednesday’s training session. “Sunday is going to be a reaction off of Thursday. We’re not playing 11 players against Alajuela and then 11 new players against New York. It’s going to be somewhat of a mix, what it is exactly I don’t know at this point.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2011/08/25/galaxy-want-do-our-part-mls-success-ccl

Chewy Unikronik
08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Hahaha!!! Who picked TFC? And WHY????!