PDA

View Full Version : Flag

gianm
08-20-2011, 10:03 PM
I have a big flag Ecuador flag that I recently purchased. I have seen other country flags before displayed by the RPB and I'm sure that Plata would love to the see it every time that he goes on the field. Can someone tell me how I can donate it to the RPB?

FluSH
08-20-2011, 10:57 PM
I try to stay away from waving other country flags... Prefer to see more Canadian flags and/or Toronto flags...it Keeps us united - Team first then players. (p.s. I was born in El Salvador) That's just my take...

lerxst
08-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Agreed. They used to have the flags of every nation represented on the team behind the supporters' sections but they switched them all over to Canadian; the way it should be.

Azerban
08-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Agreed. They used to have the flags of every nation represented on the team behind the supporters' sections but they switched them all over to Canadian; the way it should be.

part of me feels that they took them down like they do every year for the NCC, and were too lazy to put them back up

Yagbod
08-21-2011, 01:37 PM
^this.

On another note, we have had a German flag in 112 for the last couple of games. Just saying...

DavydMT
08-21-2011, 01:51 PM
flags are good for you, any flags. pm me if you want to donate the flag.

Parkdale
08-21-2011, 01:54 PM
The "United Nations of Nascar" used to have a flag for every player, and it was great.

Players get an added kick out of seeing their home country represented, so I'm all for having them somewhere in view. Obviously some discretion is advised (like playing against a team from that country)

werewolf
08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
On another note, we have had a German flag in 112 for the last couple of games. Just saying...

This will be common-place for the forseeable future.

__wowza
08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
i was just going to say im sure he'd enjoy seeing it.

Yagbod
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
This will be common-place for the forseeable future.

Sehr gut!

Brooker
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
it just looks dumb if you only have a couple of our players countries represented. when they were all represented it was cool. but if there's just one or two, the message is lost.

Parkdale
08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
it just looks dumb if you only have a couple of our players countries represented. when they were all represented it was cool. but if there's just one or two, the message is lost.

not for the player who recognizes his homeland flag.
I could spot a maple leaf in a crowd of 100,000 people,
and it would mean something to be. It would mean something to them too.

call it dumb if you like, but the message isn't lost when you keep your audience in mind.

Brooker
08-21-2011, 05:50 PM
True, I'm not the target audience... I shouldn't look at it from my point of view.

Although I do wonder how an American flag would go over in the south end.... :o

Empirical
08-21-2011, 05:56 PM
this would be an issue, if he were tall enough to see into the stands.

AL-MO
08-21-2011, 06:12 PM
I have a big flag Ecuador flag that I recently purchased. I have seen other country flags before displayed by the RPB and I'm sure that Plata would love to the see it every time that he goes on the field. Can someone tell me how I can donate it to the RPB?

Why not get a PVC pole and fly it yourself?

Or are you in one of the non supporter sections?

FluSH
08-21-2011, 06:57 PM
The "United Nations of Nascar" used to have a flag for every player, and it was great.

Players get an added kick out of seeing their home country represented, so I'm all for having them somewhere in view. Obviously some discretion is advised (like playing against a team from that country)

Why not just do a banner for a player? If you ask me the only flags that should be flying are Canada or Toronto flags. However - I liked Nascar's united nations flags because it included all players and didn't leave anyone out.

TFCRegina
08-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Not against it, so long as we're not playing a team from Ecuador or Canada's playing.

If Canada is playing or we're playing an Ecuadorian team, not acceptable.

Phil
08-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Why not just do a banner for a player? If you ask me the only flags that should be flying are Canada or Toronto flags. However - I liked Nascar's united nations flags because it included all players and didn't leave anyone out.

Just an FYI, Coach has done up a Plata banner. :D

CountryoverClub
08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Even moreso for the CCL games...massive Canadian flags, nothing less

Carts
08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Question for you...

If we signed 'Joe Smith', an American International, who becomes our leading scorer, captain, and best player by a country mile - would wave the USA Flag at matches...???

eustacchio
08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
^ THAT is a good question. It shouldn't make a difference, but it sort of does.

mdc 77
08-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Personal opinion; Patriotism doesn't have a place in club football.

Yagbod
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Question for you...

If we signed 'Joe Smith', an American International, who becomes our leading scorer, captain, and best player by a country mile - would wave the USA Flag at matches...???

I say we capture him and make him take the Canadian Citizen test. No yankee flags here! ( I also heard Joe Smith is gonna tear up this league...)

If the cost of waving player's national flags is that we have to wave them all (including the hated US flag) then I am against national flags at a club level. That being said, I still like the idea for a select few non-americans.

:canada:

Eastend
08-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Question for you...

No.

Only flags that are acceptable are Canada and Ireland.....no others matter. :D

s2cazz
08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Question for you...

This is not ok but Orange banners and 2 sticks with Dutch National team references are because Aron Winter is Dutch.

Huyton
08-22-2011, 02:37 PM
I really liked the idea that the flags of the nations that our players came from were recognized, and that means ALL of them...including the Stars and Stripes.

It was such a welcoming, inclusive Canadian thing to do.

Carts
08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I say we capture him and make him take the Canadian Citizen test. No yankee flags here! ( I also heard Joe Smith is gonna tear up this league...)

If the cost of waving player's national flags is that we have to wave them all (including the hated US flag) then I am against national flags at a club level. That being said, I still like the idea for a select few non-americans.

:smilielol5: Greatest use of "gonna tear this up" to date...!!! :D

Carts
08-22-2011, 02:48 PM
^ THAT is a good question. It shouldn't make a difference, but it sort of does.

Its interesting because the international flags, associated with the players/coaches come out quickly, when it suits the person waving the flag - not really the team...

For another example:
If we had signed Robbie Keane - supporter "Paddy O'Grady" would have an Irish Flag in the stands in a heartbeat...

If we signed Tim Howard in net, even if he had 6 clean sheets in 6 games, it seems that Paddy O'Grady isn't going wave the Stars and Stripes - or a Mexican flag for Mexican national, Scotland etc etc etc...

Furthermore, I wonder what reception someone would get if they started waving an American flag - saying "...I'm supporting Dasaan Robinson..." or something...??

Just of note, I actually like seeing the national flags of players - and supporters in the stands, just seeing what everyone's opinion is, and if in fact, people use to their own advantage (flying their country flag by saying "I'm supporting this player") but wouldn't wave another country flag for a different player on our roster (to support them)...

Wull
08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't mind a flag of any nation unless we're playing them. Far preferred to the liverpool, Porto, Everton, Man u, colours we see every game. That always annoys and confuses me

eustacchio
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I sort of feel like national flags shouldn't be part of it, but I'm fairly indifferent to it. I personally would only wave a TFC/RPB/Supporter/Canadian flag, but I don't really care what others do in that regard (at club matches).

It is funny that if someone sees a Dutch or German flag, they'd understand.
If they saw an American flag they wouldn't.

__wowza
08-22-2011, 03:20 PM

any news on if this joe smith is a capable DC? ;)

Carts
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
any news on if this joe smith is a capable DC? ;)

Joe Smith is so good, he can be transferred when the transfer window is closed...

Joe Kool
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
It is funny that if someone sees a Dutch or German flag, they'd understand.
If they saw an American flag they wouldn't.

I don't really have an issue at all with Americans or their flag but my only issue is that, with the exception of playing Vancouver or some CCL games, we will almost always be playing a team from an American city which to me means no American flags otherwise it looks like you are supporting our opposition. Just like no Mexican flags should be waved when we play Pumas. You get the idea. Other than that I am ok with whatever flags are waved...just not ones of the opposition as many have stated.

eustacchio
08-22-2011, 03:34 PM
^ I completely agree with that statement.

__wowza
08-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Joe Smith is so good, he can be transferred when the transfer window is closed...

the first person who picks up a J. Smith jersey becomes my new personal god.

Carts
08-22-2011, 03:45 PM

:smilielol5:

Brooker
08-22-2011, 03:46 PM

I'm sure somebody got a Jarrod Smith jersey.

Carts
08-22-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm sure somebody got a Jarrod Smith jersey.

Pfffft, Jarrod Smith couldn't tie Joe Smith's boots! :D

Brooker
08-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Okay what about Johann Smith?

Huyton
08-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Joe Smith was a pretty good player:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BOLTONsmithJ.htm

james
08-24-2011, 12:53 AM
i love flags, but prefer ultra style flags, other country flags look more like you are just cheerring for your country rather then the home team. It just comes across like that a bit to me when i see random flags at games.