PDA

View Full Version : Soolsma

PopePouri
08-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Where is he? Is he getting limited playing time after the arrival of Marosevic, Griffit and Avila?

DichioTFC
08-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Soolsma was a regular starter prior to the transfer window. He's rarely been seen since. If that doesn't speak to how great of a job Mariner has done, nothing will.

Soolsma is a depth player, a late-second half sub. Nothing more.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2011, 10:04 AM
hes not terrible, hes effective but a bit slow and as mentioned above, we got better players now so hes in depth where i suspect he was originally going to be

rocker
08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
He's a decent player. Not a starter, but a decent backup. He actually did not look slow against Real Esteli :)

PopePouri
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
He's a decent crosser and very good technically. The problem is that he's terrible in front of net which is an issue if you're playing 3 "strikers".

P-NUTZ
08-19-2011, 10:36 AM
ya where the hell is this griffit guy??? is he any good and has he played at all? he cant be that bad can he? like "iro bad"?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2011, 10:41 AM
injured and if not prob not match fit, we will prob see some of him near the end of the season, maybe even this sat

MartinUtd
08-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Griffit has been injured the whole time he's been here.

P-NUTZ
08-19-2011, 10:43 AM
thats too bad. would have been nice to see if he has quality as an option.

nickio
08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Game like last night, I would rather see Soolsma subbed for Plata- who was struggling. He can go up against teams like Tauro and Real Esteli, since he can hold the ball quiet well. This would've been nice if we had a bit more possession yesterday.

Globetrotter
08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
He's a decent crosser and very good technically. The problem is that he's terrible in front of net which is an issue if you're playing 3 "strikers".

best answer so far.

he can beat guys, and deliver the ball, but when it's time to shoot... uuugh.

jloome
08-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Soolsma's a decent winger and should be playing more. Plata was awful last night. He'll probably end the year with five or six goals, but it'll take too much hoggery. He passed on two easy helpers yesterday, selfishly.

Soolsma often beats his man, gets crosses in, plays positionally well. Yeah, he doesn't have a cannon for a shot, but he's also only taken a handful the whole season, so we can't really judge by that.

Greatest Ripoff
08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
What is happening with Cordon? He hasn't even seen the bench in a long time.

Heathen
08-19-2011, 12:15 PM
I'd take Soolsma over Martina

__wowza
08-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I'd take Soolsma over Martina

+ agreed to the fullest extent.

KGH
08-19-2011, 12:36 PM
IMO soolsma and martina were brought here because they knew the system and would help Winter & Co get a jump start on the new path. I don't for a second believe that they were part of the long term rebuilding plan.

Yohan
08-19-2011, 12:43 PM
IMO soolsma and martina were brought here because they knew the system and would help Winter & Co get a jump start on the new path. I don't for a second believe that they were part of the long term rebuilding plan.
I don't know about that. Clearly Winter saw enough talent in those two that made them think they might stick in MLS. Certainly good enough for depth in most MLS teams

maninb
08-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Martin has ONE MOVE...and that's it....MLS defenders have him figured out and now he's useless...

TFC07
08-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Off-topic but, I saw Soolsma riding his bike today morning at Exhibition place (assuming he was headed towards BMO field). lol

TFC Cityboy
08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Martin has ONE MOVE...and that's it....MLS defenders have him figured out and now he's useless...
and he's a lazy twat. I'd be happy if we shipped out Martina/Soolsma

Whoop
08-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't know about that. Clearly Winter saw enough talent in those two that made them think they might stick in MLS. Certainly good enough for depth in most MLS teams

Agreed.

Only problem is you don't want int'l spots on the bench. Rather use them for starters.

Borga
08-19-2011, 08:57 PM
The Plata haters need to relax a bit - yes he was crap last night, but he has set up several goals and opportunities with beautiful passes. I don't think he deserves the label as a ball hog just yet.

CSO_BBTB
08-23-2011, 11:45 PM

Agree on the last bit with the added proviso that they probably did hope that they would be but knew they were far from a sure thing in that regard. Worth bearing in mind that up until the very last minute all the training camp invites and discovery claims had been handled by Earl Cochrane and Jim Brennan, hence why players like Ent, Ornoch and Sidra thought they had already made the team, and Mariner and Winter had very little time to bring in other players so clearly had to rely heavily on their contacts within the game to acquire players at short notice at an awkward time of year in terms of the European season.

In the upcoming offseason the new regime should be able to make full use of the six discovery signings for 2012 (and the probable allocation one for missing the playoffs) to full advantage to address the remaining issues with the starting eleven and upgrade the quality in depth. The recent trades for players like Iro, Griffit and Marosevic were probably viewed in a similar way to signing Soolsma and Martina given the six 2011 discovery signings had all been used up by that point meaning that trades for other MLS teams' castoffs were all that was available to clear out the accumulated detritus left over from previous coaching regimes. Good if it works out but still very much part of the ongoing rebuild process in other words.

Soolsma is not a complete waste of space in technical terms but is a step too slow athletically to play regularly at a high fully pro level. Hence the probable reason for his drop to the Saturday amateur leagues in Holland rather than the reasons stated in press releases about making more money outside the game. I suspect both him and Martina (more so than Soolsma) will be moving on at the end of the season because better options should be available next time around to Winter and Mariner given more time is available to prepare for training camp.