PDA

View Full Version : Plata's Loan

ryan
08-17-2011, 05:41 PM
I was never sure about the length of his loan from LCU Quito to MLS and I do recall some people talking about it here without certainty.

Reading this article: http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2011/08/17/tfc-notes-plata-becoming-cornerstone-toronto

The Reds hope the relationship with the Ecuadorian, currently on loan to MLS from LDU Quito, will last even longer.
“Of course,” head coach and technical director Aron Winter said when asked if he wants to keep Plata beyond 2011. “We’ve got another couple of months. One thing is sure, Plata is still young. We’ve given him the opportunity and we’re going to try to keep him. And the development he has made in a short period has been great.”

Hopefully he's a Red next year! Didn't think he could potentially be gone so soon.

ArmenJBX
08-17-2011, 06:37 PM
I asked Plata about his loan after the game.
Article's up on RedNationOnline soon, I'll link to it when it's published.

ryan
08-17-2011, 09:47 PM
looking forward to reading it. thanks.

ArmenJBX
08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Plata Welcomes Chance to Stay in Toronto (http://rednationonline.ca/PlatawelcomeschancetostayinToronto.aspx)

I asked Plata after the Real Salt Lake game what he plans to do for next year, to which he responded, “I’m still not sure, but I can only say that I have to continue working hard, and if the coach wants me, I’d be honoured to stay. I more than welcome the opportunity.”

There's more in the article, Winter's intentions, etc.

brad
08-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Wonder how much the transfer fee would be for him.

DichioTFC
08-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Plata's been a godsend, the 49th (5th-last) pick in the draft. That means every team passed on him repeatedly.

Just recapping his year - he's been our team MVP hands down, he's scored three goals as a rookie winger, he got his first cap for his national team, and he scored his first national goal at BMO. Crazy year for Joao.

EDIT: forgot that he won the NCC MVP award - youngest ever to win the award if I'm not mistaken.

__wowza
08-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Plata's been a godsend, the 49th (5th-last) pick in the draft. That means every team passed on him repeatedly.

Just recapping his year - he's been our team MVP hands down, he's scored three goals as a rookie winger, he got his first cap for his national team, and he scored his first national goal at BMO. Crazy year for Joao.

EDIT: forgot that he won the NCC MVP award - youngest ever to win the award if I'm not mistaken.

are you kidding me? the MVP for the year is going to be split wide.

- eckersly
- plata
- frings
- frei
- gordon
- johnson

any one of those men can take it as far as im concerned (i know, gordon isnt on the team anymore, cut the crap he did good by us).

brad
08-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Ives said in his opinion Plata would be a lock for MLS Rookie of the Year, but he is not eligible because he played pro in Ecuador already.

ryan
08-18-2011, 09:02 AM

- eckersly
- plata
- frings
- frei
- gordon
- johnson

any one of those men can take it as far as im concerned (i know, gordon isnt on the team anymore, cut the crap he did good by us).

Umm, well giving the award to an Earthquake who spent most of his time here hurt is...not right.

Johnson also hasn't been here that long and while he played well when he's been healthy here, putting season MVP next to that is not something that makes sense to me either.

Frings is another half year player and to give someone playing just half the year the team MVP would have meant he's been a phenom in his time. While Frings has certainly done a ton of good to this club I don't think he's in the MVP discussion.

It's really a two horse race between Eck's and Plata. Frei hasn't had that great of a year and no I'm not factoring in the poor defensive play when I say that. He's been good but not on the same level as the other.

DichioTFC
08-18-2011, 09:03 AM

- eckersly
- plata
- frings
- frei
- gordon
- johnson

gordon played 632 minutes for us - does that scream MVP? and johnson hasn't been long enough to considered either. There's no way Frei can be considered - letting in a league high goals against (his fault or not) is not indicative of an MVP. Eckersley has a case along with Frings, but both have defensive roles which will play against them in voting.

Carts
08-18-2011, 09:07 AM

- eckersly
- plata
- frings
- frei
- gordon
- johnson

I would personally say its 3-man race (for my vote) in the bolded above...

Right now, I'd vote for Plata - because he's a "game changer"...

But, there's a ways to go - if we keep & improve our current form with Frings continuing to dictate play (everything is funneled through him) than that adds in another factor... If big Ecks continues to be solid, and some massive games where he shuts down one of the big boys there's that too...

Gordon, no chance... He was good - not the MVP...
Johnson not yet... He's been good - long way to catch the top three...
Frei on the fence... Some great saves, some bad plays - but keeps us in there night after night...

Carts
08-18-2011, 09:07 AM
gordon played 632 minutes for us - does that scream MVP? and johnson hasn't been long enough to considered either. There's no way Frei can be considered - letting in a league high goals against (his fault or not) is not indicative of an MVP. Eckersley has a case along with Frings, but both have defensive roles which will play against them in voting.

We're on the same page...

Fort York Redcoat
08-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Plata deserves a vote fer sure. I wish Gordon was fit with his stay here. So far it's still Frei but Eckers is real close.

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2011, 09:30 AM
If Plata maintains his level of play for the rest of the season, he should be the MVP without question. Prior to the summer transfer window, he was the only player that was consistently worth the price of admission at BMO Field.

kodiakTFC
08-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Plata or Ecks, I'd give the nod to Plata for his NCC performance.

canadian_bhoy
08-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Plata or Ecks, I'd give the nod to Plata for his NCC performance.

Wow. Tight call. I'd say that ecks probably contributes more to the team, but striker is such an important position and the ability to run at players like plata can is rare. While I think ecks is the better player, plata is more crucial to te club

Detroit_TFC
08-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Both are worthy. Would have to go with Plata. That fact that many didn't think he could compete gives his story an interesting angle.

spark
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
While Ecks has been solid no doubt, I do think we could cope without him and get a result. Plata has had too many games where he has changed the face of the match and been the reason we've secured all three points (or one point ... ). Frei on the other end has done the same. IMO Plata and Frei define MVP and Frings too but he's not been here long enough. I'd say Frings would be the frontrunner for next year as he's just on another level.

__wowza
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
There's no way Frei can be considered - letting in a league high goals against (his fault or not) is not indicative of an MVP.

are you kidding? look at the defense put in front of him.
NO KEEPER IN THE LEAGUE COULD STAND UP TO THAT.

lets look at the stats:
stephen frei

tied second in the league for games started (with kasey keller)
tied first in minutes played
first in the league for number of shots on goal
first in the league for number of saves
8th in the league (by a slim margin, could be 4th) in GAA

look at the number of goals against him 46, and break down how many of those goals were actually his fault, goals that he was caught out of position for, or slow reaction time, and you can basically half that number.

there's a reason forwards score goals, and its the same reason why keepers make saves, someones fucked up and allowed a shot on net. when you look at who we've had for 3/4ths of the season (and it STILL hasnt been worked out), you can see that we have the worst defense in the league (although it is improving).

strikers dont score goals themselves. i just dont see the logic in thinking that you can put someone like plata up there, not mention the supporting cast he's got helping him, and then flip it around and say "frei's on his own with these balls, he should be making saves".

just my two cents.

drewski
08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
maybe its because he's a product of United, but I kinda expected Ecks to do reasonably well here, whereas Plata came more out of the blue; and like my fellow united supporter said, he's been been a very consistent performer.

rocker
08-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I love Plata... notice that he gets the biggest cheers when they announce the starting lineup on the scoreboard. Works hard, but also has wonderful skill with the ball (he can make just about any type of pass, chip, shot etc). He's also fast. I did see him get manhandled by DC and that reduced his effectiveness (I guess that's what other MLS teams worried about). But he's just so much more skilled than most MLS players that he makes up for the lack of size.

Btw, when he scored against RSL, the crowd was as crazy in cheering as I've ever heard it. It went beyond the normal goal cheering... people really love the teen.

phonzo
08-18-2011, 10:27 AM
he kissed his badge after the goal...that gives him +1 in my book.

Carts
08-18-2011, 10:28 AM
he kissed his badge after the goal...that gives him +1 in my book.

And several times after the match...

Carts
08-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I love Plata... notice that he gets the biggest cheers when they announce the starting lineup on the scoreboard. Works hard, but also has wonderful skill with the ball (he can make just about any type of pass, chip, shot etc). He's also fast. I did see him get manhandled by DC and that reduced his effectiveness (I guess that's what other MLS teams worried about). But he's just so much more skilled than most MLS players that he makes up for the lack of size.

Btw, when he scored against RSL, the crowd was as crazy in cheering as I've ever heard it. It went beyond the normal goal cheering... people really love the teen.

He's the prototype of an underdog - with the an unmatched work ethic...

Footy fans love his speed and skill...

Casual fans love the work ethic, and seeing someone with the physical odds stacked against him succeed...

See him score, then running to the corner with a huge smile on his face makes you feel good as a fan/supporter...

People can debate MVP, but I don't think anyone would give a 'Hardest Worker Award' to anyone but him...

nickio
08-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Nah, Plata is the MVP, he single handedly won some games for TFC this season.

Frei is a PK save shy of MVP though.

GlenM
08-18-2011, 11:53 AM
IMO Plata is MVP, he's re-energized the team and the fans.

Plus he scored some key goals to.

HEART!

PLATA!

I hope we keep him, pay the transfer fee.

"Silver Plata"

GlenM

ryan
08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Joao "serving up wins on a silver" Plata

BFin
08-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Frei is overrated :hide:

kodiakTFC
08-18-2011, 02:04 PM
GET HIM!

maninb
08-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Gordon as our MVP???? ROTFLMAO!!! That's funny......

Yagbod
08-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I vote Ecks, if only because I think he would be a hoot to drink with at the RPB year end party.

Carts
08-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I vote Ecks, if only because I think he would be a hoot to drink with at the RPB year end party.

That is a damn fine point! :drinking:

PopePouri
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
I really don't see how all European scouts have completely missed Frei. I kept thinking when Man United conceded that Frei would stopped that in his sleep.

I'd love to see the guy tear up the EPL or Bundesliga.

Carts
08-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I really don't see how all European scouts have completely missed Frei. I kept thinking when Man United conceded that Frei would stopped that in his sleep.

I'd love to see the guy tear up the EPL or Bundesliga.

I don't want to be negative towards our keeper, one of our best and most consistent players, a determined competitor, and an all around nice guy - but Frei is not at the EPL level - let alone tearing up the EPL...

brad
08-18-2011, 03:27 PM

I actually agree. He is a very good MLS keeper, but IMHO he's not as good as most make him out to be.

Super Cereal
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
just my two cents.

keep the change.

drewski
08-18-2011, 03:45 PM

hmm, bet we could get some good stories from his United days out of him. #votechanged

DichioTFC
08-21-2011, 01:38 PM
We overrate Frei incredibly. I love Frei, he's a strong member of our team, but that speaks more to how poor our squad is.

He's not a European-top flight keeper. Hell, he's not even the best keeper in this league (say hello to Nick Rimando). He has very obvious flaws (poor command of the box) and I'm venturing to guess that he has the highest two-year goals against record in MLS history (again, whether its his fault or not is essentially irrelevant).

The best Frei can hope for is to play out his contract then join the Swiss football league behind a better defense.

Yohan
08-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Donovan ricketts > nick rimando > kevin hartman

rocker
08-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Frei is very good at reflex shot stopping. I would say he's as good as anyone in the league at that one, very important, skill. He's average in other areas, such as in the air, commanding his box, and distribution.

Brooker
08-21-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm venturing to guess that he has the highest two-year goals against record in MLS history (again, whether its his fault or not is essentially irrelevant).

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/h0m1n1d/WHAT.gif