PDA

View Full Version : pregame: tfc@ tauro fc 8pm thurs 18 aug (ccl)

Yohan
08-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Need 3pts here...

BS1327
08-13-2011, 11:40 PM
3 points would set us off on the right track against the weakest team in the group. I just hope the first team starts, and not the B team. Hopefully Winter takes this tournament seriously and think we will do very well!

mowe
08-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Tauro FC are currently second in their league with a 3-1-1 record. They're coming off a 2-0 victory this weekend, their third win in a row.

Tauro FC website: http://www.taurofc.com (http://www.taurofc.com/) Contains game highlights
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tauro-FC/150539380709 (http://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/Tauro-FC/150539380709)

The game will be played at Estadio Rommel Fernandez (grass surface, capacity 32,000). Tickets are $5.

Should be a fun game. Their fans seem to be excited for this. Obviously TFC needs to get 3 points to have any hope of advancing past the group stage.

Azerban
08-14-2011, 12:32 AM
3 points would set us off on the right track against the weakest team in the group. I just hope the first team starts, and not the B team. Hopefully Winter takes this tournament seriously and think we will do very well!

if winter pulls a preki against the worst team in our ccl group we should drag him through the street behind a gaudy stretch escalade

J .
08-14-2011, 04:07 AM
I think Winter will field a mixed line up of starters and substitutes to keep his lineup fresh.

If TFC is going to steal a win on the road, this may be the place.

nickio
08-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Ok, this is not what I would like, but this is what I think Winter will go with

---------------Kocic------------
--Eckersley--Henry--Iro--Morgan-
-------Frings------JDG---------
--------------Avila-------------
--Johnson--------------Plata---
----------Marosevitch--------

Subs: Koevermans, Martina, Harden

I don't see Koevermans starting another game. He looked dead out there, better use him as a sub..

__wowza
08-15-2011, 08:15 AM
anyone else think we should go for broke on this one?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2011, 08:25 AM
if winter pulls a preki against the worst team in our ccl group we should drag him through the street behind a gaudy stretch escalade

dont think this is likely

Flint
08-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I think Winter and De Klerk both understand the importance of international competitions and the fact that the playoffs are out of reach this year. I expect them to field a strong lineup.

TotalFootball
08-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Is the game on Live on TV or Taped?

London
08-15-2011, 08:28 AM

yup, they need 2 wins vs tauro in my opinion

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Gonna be flying out of the city at 6.30, dunno how im going to be able to watch any of this. Fingers crossed i get some minutes in.

maninb
08-15-2011, 08:32 AM
We need 10 points MINIMUM to advance....

6 points vs Tauro (anything less and we're toast)
3 points vs Dallas (normally I'd say only 1 point, but Dallas is concentrating on the league)
1 point vs Mexicans (hopefully another great home game against a very good Mexican team, and we can get 3 points here)

should be enough...

nfitz
08-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Is the game on Live on TV or Taped?3-hour tape delay on Sportsnet 1. Or a 23 hour delay on Setanta.

kodiakTFC
08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
3-hour tape delay on Sportsnet 1. Or a 23 hour delay on Setanta.

Free stream on concacaf it is.

TFC better win this game, go for broke, don't Preki this game. I will never forgive Preki for Arabe, a win there would've seen us through.

TotalFootball
08-15-2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks. That is ridiculous! Sporstnet has 5 channels (4 regionals and sportsnet 1) and they can't show the game live!!! MLSE should work on that for the next TV contract.

I just checked their TV listings and they are showing Round of 16 Tennis from the States and Atlanta vs SF in Baseball!!!

RIDICULOUS

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Tauro FC are seven time champions of Panama, and they have previously qualified for the CCL once, in 2008, before being eliminated in the group stage. Despite being an inferior side in terms of talent, a south american club is always difficult to beat on home soil because of all the variables involved. I'm confident that Winter will not take this match lightly, and he will field a strong lineup.

TFC 2 Tauro 1

---------------Frei---------------

Eckersley--Henry--Harden--Borman

------DeGuzman-----Frings--------

---------------Avila---------------

Johnson----------------------Plata

------------Koevermans-----------

Subs: Dunfield, Marosevic, Martina

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Ridiculous. Once again, I'll have to watch an important match online through my PS3 in order to watch it live on television.

ryan
08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Winter won't start a B squad. He'll start the freshest/best lineup he can play.

This is a team we should beat without our very best XI. So if Danny K needs a rest, he'll get it.

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Wow. Fucking baseball.

I love how Sportsnet could actually show our match and still go live to the Jays game afterward but instead want to feed all the fucking Yankees and Twins fans in Canada.

If the tables were turned I'd have plenty sympathy for a Jays fan who had to wait on a live game of LA GAlaxy vs NY RedBull.

This match is huge and I want a dominant effort. A clean sheet and at least 2 from us, please.

jloome
08-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Panama is not Nicaragua. They're soccer tradition is considerably heavier and this team was dangerous in 2008, when it knocked out Chivas 3-1 and beat Santos Laguna of Mexico 2-0.

Anyone who thinks we should be vastly superior in this match, particularly on their turf, is probably in for a rude awakening.

If we play a mixed team to rest people, instead of our strongest potential, we will probably lose.

Carts
08-15-2011, 11:04 AM
I know absolutely nothing about Tauro FC - so there's that... I wish I knew more about these clubs...

I think Winter will start the 'strongest lineup possible'. As mentioned, that's probably not going to have DannyK as he looked tired Saturday... I think we'll see a couple of kids in there, knowing they will be subbed if we're not in control - as we have a league match Sunday...

The tape-delay uuurgh :( This is where we need a bar like Scallywags who can pick off SAT signals or puchase international feeds, show them at the bar for a cover charge... I'd pay $10 to watch this live (not on my computer via a stream)...

I wonder if the Tauro fans chant "TFC, TFC"...??? :D

nfitz
08-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks. That is ridiculous! Sporstnet has 5 channels (4 regionals and sportsnet 1) and they can't show the game live!!! MLSE should work on that for the next TV contract.They also (now) own 100% of Setanta Canada - which isn't actually airing anything at 8 pm, except a rebroadcast of an old game.

Canadian Soccer News (http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2121-Hurry-up-and-wait-No-live-TV-of-TFC-s-first-Champions-League-game) had an article about this last week.

I just checked their TV listings and they are showing Round of 16 Tennis from the States and Atlanta vs SF in Baseball!!!
RIDICULOUSThat's odd ... when I looked last week, they had Blue Jays at 8 pm on the 4 main channels. That makes it even more mystifying why it isn't on a channel at 8 pm. I can understand that their baseball commitments might make it necessary to bump to Setanta ... but I don't even see why it would need to be bumped at all now!

Auzzy
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Free stream on concacaf it is.

I don't even think that!! Check http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home

It still says "There are currently no live events scheduled to be shown on this channel in the next 7 days." Just like before the Real Esteli games, which also weren't streamed.

Unfreakingbelievable. We need to hammer Sportsnet contacts via Twitter, Facebook, email, etc. What a complete farce. Could Sportsnet at least please stream the game live via their website?

TFC1154ever
08-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Didn't rogers sportsnet say last time that they were sorry and would try not to delay a tfc game again? What a bunch of crap. Time to give em a piece of my mind.

DangerRed
08-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Fox Soccer carried TFC v Real Esteli. Surely they'll do the same here?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Fox Sports world in Canada or fox soccer in the US?

Carts
08-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Fox Sports world in Canada or fox soccer in the US?

Fox Soccer in the US...

I was able to watch TFC live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - but people couldn't watch it live in Toronto, Ontario...

mdc 77
08-15-2011, 11:27 AM

The TFC match is not on their schedule for Thursday, they are showing Colorado/Metapan @ 10 pm but not the TFC match @ 8pm.

The game should be streammed on the CONCACAF site, they didn't do the prelim matches but have all group stage.

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 11:28 AM

Yes, my understanding is that the US Fox Soccer channel carries most CCL matches live. Unfortunately, it's not available through any cable service providers in the GTA, and the Canadian Fox Soccer channel doesn't carry any MLS or CCL matches. It's either satellite, online streaming, or fucking tape delay...

mdc 77
08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Nevermind...the TFC match is on Fox Soccer Channel live @ 8pm.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Nevermind...the TFC match is on Fox Soccer Channel live @ 8pm.

in the US

mdc 77
08-15-2011, 11:44 AM
in the US

Yes, for myself all this doesn't worry me as I'll watch the match online. Should also be on the CONCACAF site as mentioned.

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Word of advice to anyone that owns a PS3; the online streams are much better quality on a PS3 than most laptops, and you can enlarge the picture to fit your television screen, so it's the next best thing to a live TV broadcast.

mmmikey
08-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Word of advice to anyone that owns a PS3; the online streams are much better quality on a PS3 than most laptops, and you can enlarge the picture to fit your television screen, so it's the next best thing to a live TV broadcast.

i tried this for the charleston game once off of tfc tv and it would have a bit of a stutter every few seconds. was smoother on a computer. did u have to tweak any settings for this to work well? or is it not a usual occurence?

Redpunkfiddle
08-15-2011, 01:17 PM
The CCL page is now posting live streams for "select" group stage games. Only tomorrow is listed, and they only have 2 of 4 matches up for that day. They might not come through for us.

http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home

19Barrett19
08-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't even think that!! Check http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home

It still says "There are currently no live events scheduled to be shown on this channel in the next 7 days." Just like before the Real Esteli games, which also weren't streamed.

Unfreakingbelievable. We need to hammer Sportsnet contacts via Twitter, Facebook, email, etc. What a complete farce. Could Sportsnet at least please stream the game live via their website?

I was in sarnia ontario at a cottage for a vacation and managed to watch both Real esteli match and DC united match via stream. I have an Match day live account and the game was blacked out on MDL still managed to find a stream on the internet. try downloading Readon TV you can have your own personal satelight dish on your computer for free ... YOU can find anything on the internet these days enjoy the game live boys just like me...

Auzzy
08-15-2011, 01:32 PM
I was in sarnia ontario at a cottage for a vacation and managed to watch both Real esteli match and DC united match via stream. I have an Match day live account and the game was blacked out on MDL still managed to find a stream on the internet. try downloading Readon TV you can have your own personal satelight dish on your computer for free ... YOU can find anything on the internet these days enjoy the game live boys just like me...

Thanks for the info. Still bogus that Sportsnet can't get their shit together to somehow show this live. 99% of potential viewers aren't going to go through the hassle that we do to try & see this game. I also have Match Day Live, and noticed the Real Esteli away game was listed there but blocked. I thought I would have a fun fan experience & watch it live at the Duke, and then Sportnet screwed us. I was in the stadium for the home game.

Also complete BS if CONCACAF isn't streaming it live. As mentioned above, CONCACAF's website was changed in the past few hours, and they are starting to promise two streamed games tomorrow. Maybe Thursday's game with TFC will still show up on the site later this week.

The likelihood of finding a grey market stream increases if, as mentioned above, the game is being shown on Fox Soccer Channel in the US.

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 01:37 PM
i tried this for the charleston game once off of tfc tv and it would have a bit of a stutter every few seconds. was smoother on a computer. did u have to tweak any settings for this to work well? or is it not a usual occurence?

TFC TV is poor quality in general. If you try one of the links that will be posted prior to game time, it should be smooth. I've tried it twice now, and I was able to watch both matches in their entirety without any interruptions due to buffering.

dmacd
08-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Good news. A friend of mine complained about the delay and got the following email back from Rogers:

Thanks for your recent email. We certainly appreciate the feedback.
Setanta Canada will now be broadcasting TFC's Thursday match live starting at 8 pm et.
Sincerely
Jim LaChapelle
Audience Relations

nfitz
08-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Well that's positive.

Though as it turns out the rumour that there was Blue Jays baseball on the main Sportsnet channels is false, I don't know why they wouldn't air it there.

But for those of us that already subscribe to Setanta ... and those that will be in a bar - it's great!

19Barrett19
08-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Good news. A friend of mine complained about the delay and got the following email back from Rogers:

Setanta Canada will now be broadcasting TFC's Thursday match live starting at 8 pm et.
Sincerely
Jim LaChapelle
Audience Relations

569 on rogers is HD yessssssssss lot better then stream.. Agree with everyone not enough exposure for tfc should be on CBC like it used to be National baby National

TFC&SpursGuy
08-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Just got same note. They must mean it....

Red CB Toronto
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Sincerely
Jim LaChapelle
Audience Relations

That is great, especially when you consider Setanta is on free preview until September 13.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-15-2011, 01:57 PM
key to this group for us is to get by Dallas...

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 02:02 PM

Sincerely
Jim LaChapelle
Audience Relations

Sweet! Setanta is free until September 13th. Way to step up Rogers.

EDIT - CBlake beat me to it, LOL.

Carts
08-15-2011, 02:09 PM
569 on rogers is HD yessssssssss lot better then stream.. Agree with everyone not enough exposure for tfc should be on CBC like it used to be National baby National

The game is in Panama, so don't be surprised/dissapointed if the actual match is a 4x3 Standard Definition feed - with the studio show being in High Definition...

That's exactly what happened for the Real Esteli away match...

Either way - LIVE on the TV is an EPIC WIN for anyone / everyone who wrote in to get this to happen...

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 02:10 PM
The game is in Panama, so don't be surprised/dissapointed if the actual match is a 4x3 Standard Definition feed - with the studio show being in High Definition...

That's exactly what happened for the Real Esteli away match...

Either way - LIVE on the TV is an EPIC WIN for anyone / everyone who wrote in to get this to happen...

It will be good to know ahead of time.
If it is standard def, I may just watch from home.
If it is HD, then I might go to Joe's... assuming people are going there for a viewing party.

TFC&SpursGuy
08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Just heard from Sportnset about the other CCL games:

...next two CCL matches have been sublicensed to MLSE, they will be airing them live on GOL TV. The two after that will be on Setanta live. The final one back on GOL TV live.

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
hahaha... Thanks McCartney...
You posted that as I was typing, so I changed my comments.

Carts
08-15-2011, 02:14 PM
It will be good to know ahead of time.
If it is standard def, I may just watch from home.
If it is HD, then I might go to Joe's... assuming people are going there for a viewing party.

Its doubtful you'll hear ahead of time...

Technically, it will be a HD broadcast (studio, promos, commercials) - but the feed from Panama will likely be in Standard Def...

Carts
08-15-2011, 02:15 PM
hahaha... Thanks McCartney...
You posted that as I was typing, so I changed my comments.

Post-to-post reply WAR!!!! :D :D :D

08-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Just heard from Sportnset about the other CCL games:

...next two CCL matches have been sublicensed to MLSE, they will be airing them live on GOL TV. The two after that will be on Setanta live. The final one back on GOL TV live.

So Sep 20 and 27 will be on Setanta live (after the free preview expires) but will be at BMO, so doesn't bother me!

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
So Sep 20 and 27 will be on Setanta live (after the free preview expires) but will be at BMO, so doesn't bother me!

Exactly.

Empirical
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Id like to set the record straight as someone who has been to several Tauro games at estadio Rommell Fernandez this year (as well as TFC games) and lived in Panama City.

Panama does not have this "strong soccer tradition" as some have claimed. Boxing and baseball are far more important in Panama. No one even really cared when they beat the US last month, their sworn enemy and semi-colonial ruler. The whole country has the population of Toronto. Imagine if all of our talent was domestic and from the GTA and split among 12 teams (7 of which beat us in the last season). Yes they can play in summer but Panamanian youths more often play even basketball than soccer.

Tauro supporters (all 100 of them) only really care when the team plays Amador, their rival. Even cabbies who have "San Francisco" (another team) air fresheners often cannot name a single player on the team, but are simply repping their barrio or province.

Do not be confused by their awesome flash website, this is an amateur sports team. Their players, in many cases ride the bus from the mall home. Yair Renteria, for example, lived in Diablo and rode the bus home many days with me. Which is a converted cheese wagon from a southern US school district. Some take soccer very seriously, some eat McDonalds and care more about having 2 blackberries.

They practice at a field, which the national team uses called "el domo" which is University of Panama's satellite campus. You will never see a soul watching or asking for autographs. These guys are under vutually no fan pressure. Will random Panamanians go to the game? yes! tickets are $5 for good ones and $2 for the shitty ones. Also that stadium is easier to sneek into than a dead mans bedroom.

TFC should win this game. Seriously.

If you have any questions about this team or game, let me know, its not really what you think. Panama is a very different place almost eerie at times, esp in regards to sports.

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 02:56 PM
^ That's quite the low-down... thanks.

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah seriously, thanks for the first hand input Empirical.

Couchy81
08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Interesting, ditto on the thanks for info. I saw the flash website the other day and wondered how many supporters they had.

TFC1154ever
08-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Very disappointed that NONE of the champions group stage games are on Cable. This tournament won't grow here if no one knows about it or can't watch the games. The best thing when we were on CBC was that my buddy's (who are not soccer fans what so ever) would call me after matches and be like " Caught a bit of the game, tough loss" etc. They would sort of get into TFC. Now, forget about it.

nfitz
08-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Very disappointed that NONE of the champions group stage games are on Cable.The Seattle vs Comunicaciones is live on Sportsnet 1 tomorrow at 10 pm. I believe the Galaxy game next week is on live too.

Empirical
08-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Interesting, ditto on the thanks for info. I saw the flash website the other day and wondered how many supporters they had.

flash is big in panama. the president dropped a heavy subsidy on comptech desighn (not sure how to say it in english), and a bunch of argentine computer experts moved offices there. the few things that have websites in that country usually look pretty legit.

rocker
08-15-2011, 04:01 PM
So Empirical, can you give a scouting report on Tauro? What style do they play? Who are their best players? How would they beat TFC, if they were to strategize?

nickio
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Id like to set the record straight as someone who has been to several Tauro games at estadio Rommell Fernandez this year (as well as TFC games) and lived in Panama City.

Panama does not have this "strong soccer tradition" as some have claimed. Boxing and baseball are far more important in Panama. No one even really cared when they beat the US last month, their sworn enemy and semi-colonial ruler. The whole country has the population of Toronto. Imagine if all of our talent was domestic and from the GTA and split among 12 teams (7 of which beat us in the last season). Yes they can play in summer but Panamanian youths more often play even basketball than soccer.

Tauro supporters (all 100 of them) only really care when the team plays Amador, their rival. Even cabbies who have "San Francisco" (another team) air fresheners often cannot name a single player on the team, but are simply repping their barrio or province.

Do not be confused by their awesome flash website, this is an amateur sports team. Their players, in many cases ride the bus from the mall home. Yair Renteria, for example, lived in Diablo and rode the bus home many days with me. Which is a converted cheese wagon from a southern US school district. Some take soccer very seriously, some eat McDonalds and care more about having 2 blackberries.

They practice at a field, which the national team uses called "el domo" which is University of Panama's satellite campus. You will never see a soul watching or asking for autographs. These guys are under vutually no fan pressure. Will random Panamanians go to the game? yes! tickets are $5 for good ones and $2 for the shitty ones. Also that stadium is easier to sneek into than a dead mans bedroom.

If you have any questions about this team or game, let me know, its not really what you think. Panama is a very different place almost eerie at times, esp in regards to sports.

wow

sooo.. do they sell chip-butties at the stadium? :)

__wowza
08-15-2011, 04:05 PM

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.
im having Árabe Unido flashbacks!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/WW2_Marine_after_Eniwetok_assault.jpg/521px-WW2_Marine_after_Eniwetok_assault.jpg

19Barrett19
08-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Arabe Unido our opponent from last year is sitting on 10 pts just like Tauro Fc in their season standings. I think this game is going to be a walk in the park. 3-0 Toronto Football Club. We can mix up our squad and still take this match looking forward to it. Hope the refs don't screw us like in Panama last year it was on the the most embarrassing refereeing i have every seen.

nickio
08-15-2011, 04:09 PM
The good news is our team can be productive offensively when they are expected to be- at this point. If Tauro doesn't cause any problems in the offense we should squeak by.

With Preki, the production, in any capacity, was definately a problem.

Empirical
08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
So Empirical, can you give a scouting report on Tauro? What style do they play? Who are their best players? How would they beat TFC, if they were to strategize?

Yeah, expect eclectic football. I remember watching simple give and goes and seeing a grin on the players faces, indicative of "oh we just thought that one up" not "this is part of a plan or something we do regularly in practice". They play loose, pitch and run is common. Much more US style than european. More African than Ecuadorian or Mexican. Physical over technical. Rely on the odd lucky break. Even though some Panamanian teams are markedly stronger than others you'll often see enormous 'upsets' etc... Casino payoffs on league games are rarely over 2/1, even though there are teams with 6 national team players and others with 0.

Their defence is not especially quick. Expect guys like Plata and Johnson to be quite effective. The Panamanian league is VERY relaxed on fouls. So expect them to be over aggressive and get in trouble from CONCACAF refs. Lots of lazy sluggish, careless and frustration based fouls.

Players to watch? Its anyones guess... They are an exciting team, a new star every game it seems. Im not really an expert but I will ask my friend on skype tonight for an annotated ( -----Frei-----) if i can get one.

My friend tells me this will be the busiest ERF will be all year. (The whole CONCACAF series) so expect more noise etc.. than usual. Possibly even some corner streamers, security does not exist. The millitary/police just hangs around in the stadium but is not going to stop Frings from getting a shower. Last I checked 4 teams use this stadium, so don't be impressed by their seemingly large venue, plus its usually pretty empty, even on 'double homegames'.

Yagbod
08-15-2011, 04:30 PM

This is an awesome post. Gave me quite a chuckle, thanks.

Torontotonto
08-15-2011, 04:57 PM

Me
We need 3 points right off the bat.
I would field our strongest squad.

:canada:

rocker
08-15-2011, 05:27 PM
thanks for the scouting report Empirical.

I think getting points against Pumas is gonna be tough, so we need to max out on Tauro. 6 points against Tauro, pull out a 1-0 win against FC Dallas at BMO, then maybe grab a home tie against Pumas, and we'd have 10 points. I think Pumas will top the group (anyone playing in Mexico City is gonna have a tough time), with Tauro at the bottom. The second place position is really a fight between Dallas and TFC. The good thing is Dallas has as busy a schedule as TFC, and will be competing for the playoffs too, so they won't have any rest advantage.

Carts
08-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm surprised a 'conspiracy theorist' hasn't replied with...

"...Empirical is the Tauro FC Head Coach or Manager and is simply trying to fool us into thinking the squad is weak... MIND GAMES..."

Carts... :D

jloome
08-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Panama does not have this "strong soccer tradition" as some have claimed. .

I'd like to set the record straight on people who misquote me.

I said they had a heavier tradition that nicaragua. I didn't say they had a strong tradition.

I also said they beat Santos Laguna and Chivas USA twice, so they don't suck quite as badly as you're letting on.

Thomas
08-15-2011, 07:56 PM

I really appreciate an inside look. This is great, and we would normally not find this perspective from traditional media sources. Thank you.

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 07:58 PM

"...Empirical is the Tauro FC Head Coach or Manager and is simply trying to fool us into thinking the squad is weak... MIND GAMES..."

Hahaha... I almost posted the exact same thing!

trane
08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Well at times we play eclectic amaturish football, so we better be ready and play hard. Play organized and intelignet football and we will get points. Keep it simple and field the best team possible these are the games that count.

nxtmike
08-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Guys, we're in for a bumpy ride with the CCL. Tauro may be our easiest opponent out of the group, but are most probably going to present us more of a challenge then Real Esteli. And from the looks of it, we have the toughest group.

FC Dallas, well that's FC Dallas. Not a walk in the park but if we don't capitalize against them at home, we're done.

Pumas UNAM is looking like a loss to us at Mexico City. Mexico City is almost 3x the elevation of Salt Lake City, so if you think the air's gonna be thin, think thinner. Plus, unlike Cruz Azul, the skill at UNAM is much better. They've won the CCL three times plus most recently won their domestic tournament of the Clausura in '09 and '11.

It will be twice as hard with UNAM, but if we can repeat the record against Cruz Azul from last year, then we should be set. Unfortunately, because the games against them are in September, if we don't do well against Tauro and FC Dallas in the next few weeks, I wouldn't expect any luck through the rest of the tournament.

kodiakTFC
08-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Empircal what would you guess the attendance being for this away leg?

08-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Guys, we're in for a bumpy ride with the CCL. Tauro may be our easiest opponent out of the group, but are most probably going to present us more of a challenge then Real Esteli. And from the looks of it, we have the toughest group.

Since each group has a Mexican team, and an American team, plus two "others", and since we're the only "other" that's in the MLS, the argument could be made that any group that we're in would be the toughest.

That is, if you consider TFC as the strongest "other" out there.

Chevy
08-16-2011, 08:02 AM
For TFC to have a chance of advancing, we need the full six points from Tauro and split the games with Dallas, giving us eight or nine points from the four games.

Hoping for any points down in Mexico is incredibly optimistic, so let's hope that Pumas clinches the top spot in the group quickly and mail one in on the 27th at BMO. That would give us a total of 11 or 12 group points.

kodiakTFC
08-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Since each group has a Mexican team, and an American team, plus two "others", and since we're the only "other" that's in the MLS, the argument could be made that any group that we're in would be the toughest.

That is, if you consider TFC as the strongest "other" out there.

I wouldn't say that. 2 groups don't have Mexican teams automatically as they have to qualify from the prelim stage, instead they have the strongest teams from Costa Rica and such. I'd be willing to say Saprissa is better than TFC.

EDIT: After a quick look, I'd only rate maybe 2-3 Costa Ricans near/above TFC so this is really the only exception to what you said.

ManUtd4ever
08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
I think TFC can advance to the knockout round with 10 points based on the following results, which should be attainable...

Tauro FC - 2 W

FC Dallas - 1 W, 1 L

Pumas - 1 D, 1 L

DangerRed
08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Yes, my understanding is that the US Fox Soccer channel carries most CCL matches live. Unfortunately, it's not available through any cable service providers in the GTA, and the Canadian Fox Soccer channel doesn't carry any MLS or CCL matches. It's either satellite, online streaming, or fucking tape delay...

Ah - yes, I must've been watching the Esteli game on Fox Soccer U.S. when I saw it in Belize. Would make sense. Any idea if that means that no bar will carry it in Toronto (unless they have satellite)?

mdc 77
08-16-2011, 08:44 AM
OK...here's my scouting report for the feared Tuaro FC side from football powerhouse Panama.

Player to Hate: Luis Moreno
Anyone remember this guy? He's an evil man who kills owl's on the pitch. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/02/owl-colombia-luis-moreno-dies)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/01/panamanian-luis-moreno-kicking-owl

Ex Arabe Unido Player: Victor Mendieta
This guy played for Arabe Unido last year, don't really remember but he's supposed to be a decent attacker.

Striker to Watch (great name!): Temistocles Perez
This guy played for San Fransico FC (Panama) a few years back in the CCL. He scored 3 in the group stage and one was against Houston.

I don't have a great idea but I'm going to guess under 5,000 in attendance for this match in Panama City. Remember this is a club who normally plays in an 800 seat "stadium". Of course TFC should win both in Panama and back here but we've heard that one before.

joel
08-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Ridiculous. Once again, I'll have to watch an important match online through my PS3 in order to watch it live on television.

How do you do that? PS3 doesn't play flash video so I find it useless for most feeds.

ManUtd4ever
08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Ah - yes, I must've been watching the Esteli game on Fox Soccer U.S. when I saw it in Belize. Would make sense. Any idea if that means that no bar will carry it in Toronto (unless they have satellite)?

No worries, Setanta is showing the match live now, and the channel is free until September 13th.

ManUtd4ever
08-16-2011, 08:56 AM
How do you do that? PS3 doesn't play flash video so I find it useless for most feeds.

I find the PS3 works very well for all online streaming. I watched the last CCL match in it's entirety and it was seamless. For flash video, I believe you just have to select the prompt that asks if you want to play the plug in.

__wowza
08-16-2011, 08:58 AM

im not gonna lie carts, ive actually been fuad ibrahim all this time, and this has been a long con to win me favour with the fans. i have to go now, my planet needs me..

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2oir9npfC1qc073co1_400.gif

ps. dont worry roogsy, ill keep your secret as long as you dedicate your shake and bake to me this weekend if you score!! ;)

Empirical
08-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Panamanian soccer also tends to get sloppier as the game goes on. I bet they start with passing and composure and deteriorate into chip and run madness.

No idea on attendance. Ive never seen many people there even for double home superclasicos etc... But this is supposed to be a big one.

maninb
08-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the analysis of Tauro...but don't FORGET THE REFS!!!! History has shown that Tauro will be diving like a bunch of loons in the penalty box, so you can expect AT LEAST one penalty shot against us...Still I expect us to put 2 or 3, so we should win this one...if we don't we're pretty much toast...

Redpunkfiddle
08-16-2011, 09:54 AM
It looks like Frings will be suspended for the Tauro game. He had a yellow in each of the first two matches, and cards are only wiped out at the end of the group stage (Section 6.29)

http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813~146129,00.pdf

TheFallen
08-16-2011, 05:32 PM
It looks like Frings will be suspended for the Tauro game. He had a yellow in each of the first two matches, and cards are only wiped out at the end of the group stage (Section 6.29)

http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813~146129,00.pdf

alright we can just forget about winning without Frings

DichioTFC
08-16-2011, 05:41 PM
We need 10 points MINIMUM to advance....

6 points vs Tauro (anything less and we're toast)
3 points vs Dallas (normally I'd say only 1 point, but Dallas is concentrating on the league)
1 point vs Mexicans (hopefully another great home game against a very good Mexican team, and we can get 3 points here)

should be enough...

I read on twitter somewhere that Pumas will be playing youth players only. I'd say we have a shot at 4 points....

EDIT: Found link http://www.concacaf.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2422372,00.html#.Tkq34D3Bn3E.twitter

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Wiki lists their stadium as only having 1000 person capacity. I can't imagine the atmosphere is going to be too intense.

Auzzy
08-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Wiki lists their stadium as only having 1000 person capacity. I can't imagine the atmosphere is going to be too intense.

The game will be played at Estadio Rommel Fernandez (grass surface, capacity 32,000). Tickets are $5.

Should be a fun game. Their fans seem to be excited for this. Obviously TFC needs to get 3 points to have any hope of advancing past the group stage.

It's not at their own stadium.

Redpunkfiddle
08-16-2011, 06:05 PM
No idea on attendance. Ive never seen many people there even for double home superclasicos etc... But this is supposed to be a big one.

There were 1200 for their home match at Estadio Rommel Fernandez in last year's preliminaries so it should be in that range.

We'll be on grass and the pitch didn't look too bad during the San Francisco Seattle match.

No multi hour bus rides to the home city from the airport.

I therefore assign the situation a mere one flying bag of piss out of five.

Still, we have seen Panamanian sides beat 'better' teams, including the odd one from Mexico (never mind TFC last year).

Petor
08-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Yay!
Toronto@Tauro match will be streamed on Concacaf site now! :flare:
http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/WatchLive

Redpunkfiddle
08-16-2011, 06:15 PM

They seem to play most of their games at the Luis Ernesto "Cascarita" Tapia field- which is the 1000 person capacity artificial turf stadium right next to the Rommel Fernandez. However, they do have the odd league game at the bigger stadium.

http://www.taurofc.com/calendario.php

Dude was right about that flash page. Whoa!

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-16-2011, 06:18 PM
^ thanks guys for the clarification on the venue.

I like out chances and unless they really bunker.

Empirical
08-16-2011, 06:32 PM
yeah sorry i should have clarified the venue variability thing. its sort of like children house league in that regard. whatever stadium is avaliable etc... not too expensive... hahaha.

Auzzy
08-16-2011, 06:49 PM
I watched some highlights from Tauro FC, e.g., at http://vimeo.com/27451305 & many other videos are available, including on the Tauro home page. Similar to what was mentioned above, lots of plays have a beer-league feel to them, not very tight or serious looking. But also some very good skill mixed in; some good crosses & goals off headers; plus a bullshit penalty call -- watch out Andy Iro.

I hope TFC takes this seriously, puts out a top team, and plays disciplined & organized. I think this is doable, but we know nothing is ever a sure thing.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-16-2011, 09:55 PM
what are the chances of there being a torrent around?

TFCREDNWHITE
08-16-2011, 10:10 PM
So do we have confirmation that Frings is out? If he is out, then there is no waaaay we should even attempt the 3-4-3....without Frings that would be suicide

JuliquE
08-17-2011, 02:19 AM
So do we have confirmation that Frings is out? If he is out, then there is no waaaay we should even attempt the 3-4-3....without Frings that would be suicide
Yep: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/08/suspended-frings-miss-opener

I understand the frustration in the first comment (prelim. yellows carrying over to group, when most in the groups don't play prelim. games), but I don't see any other way to make players accountable for their conduct during those preliminary matches, without carrying yellow cards over to the group stages. I don't think preliminary-round accumulated yellow cards should lead to group stage suspensions (no more than two are possible, anyway), but they should certainly carry over in some capacity (maybe a suspension on your next yellow, since it's also a suspension after two, during group-play).

If we perform better with the opportunity we have, upon qualifying for the CCL, then we may not have to play prelim. games, in future and it wouldn't be an issue for us to worry on.

Carts
08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Yep: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/08/suspended-frings-miss-opener

I understand the frustration in the first comment (prelim. yellows carrying over to group, when most in the groups don't play prelim. games), but I don't see any other way to make players accountable for their conduct during those preliminary matches, without carrying yellow cards over to the group stages. I don't think preliminary-round accumulated yellow cards should lead to group stage suspensions (no more than two are possible, anyway), but they should certainly carry over in some capacity (maybe a suspension on your next yellow, since it's also a suspension after two, during group-play).

If we perform better with the opportunity we have, upon qualifying for the CCL, then we may not have to play prelim. games, in future and it wouldn't be an issue for us to worry on.

Straight Red Cards should carry over and nothing else...

A straight red would either be something dirty/dangerous, or a flagrant rule violation (deliberate hand ball on the goal line)...

Accumulated yellows when the other teams don't play in qualification is not right...

Worst case, IMO, I like the bolded compromise above - but a straight out suspension when other teams didn't play doesn't sit well with me...

But, it is what it is so we'll have to deal with it unfortunately...

Time for Dunny to step up!

__wowza
08-17-2011, 09:33 AM
even still, better he get a suspended for this game and not any of our upcoming fixtures. also an interesting note:

From Twitter:
EricAvila12 Teams leaves to panama today.. I can't play in the champions league #boring. Best of luck to the team.

I didn't know he was Cup tied.

does this mean santos is cup tied as well?

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
even still, better he get a suspended for this game and not any of our upcoming fixtures. also an interesting note:

Yes.

PopePouri
08-17-2011, 09:37 AM

He is.

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Based on the players available, I'd go with this...

------DeGuzman----Dunfield-------

------------Marosevic-------------

-----------Koevermans------------

Subs: Martina, Stinson, Morgan

__wowza
08-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes.

He is.

much appreciated, i didnt think avila was featured in the dallas/alianza series :(

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2011, 09:43 AM
much appreciated, i didnt think avila was featured in the dallas/alianza series :(

He wasn't, and Santos didn't feature against Real Esteli for us either. It's because they were both included on the rosters that were submitted to CONCACAF by TFC and FCD prior to the preliminary round.

mdc 77
08-17-2011, 09:47 AM
He wasn't, and Santos didn't feature against Real Esteli for us either. It's because they were both included on the rosters that were submitted to CONCACAF by TFC and FCD prior to the preliminary round.

Was Santos on the TFC roster that was submitted to CONCACAF? I thought he wasn't.

08-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Was Santos on the TFC roster that was submitted to CONCACAF? I thought he wasn't.

I know Avila dressed in the qualifier, Santos did not.

DangerRed
08-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Based on the players available, I'd go with this...

------------Marosevic-------------

Subs: Martina, Stinson, Morgan

Two thoughts: first, I wouldn't play Peri that deep and second, it still breaks my heart that Harden is viewed as a viable option for TFC in any game, including training scrimmage. How in fuck's name is this guy still on the roster?

Canary10
08-17-2011, 10:06 AM
What's up with Soolsma? He hasn't dressed in quite a while. I thought he was brilliant in the Esteli games. He was beating people on the wings, turning inside all game. Almost made him look fast.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Two thoughts: first, I wouldn't play Peri that deep and second, it still breaks my heart that Harden is viewed as a viable option for TFC in any game, including training scrimmage. How in fuck's name is this guy still on the roster?

Id still rather Iro than Harden in a heart beat

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
What's up with Soolsma? He hasn't dressed in quite a while. I thought he was brilliant in the Esteli games. He was beating people on the wings, turning inside all game. Almost made him look fast.

injured maybe?
maybe we will see him tomorrow?
surprised we saw Martina over him last weekend tbh, then again Martina was playing CF rather than wing

PopePouri
08-17-2011, 10:21 AM
--------------Kocic---------------

Eckersley--Henry----Iro----Morgan

Plata-------Marosevic------Johnson

Then again he may 3-4-3 so who knows.

-----Eckersley--Henry----Iro------

Stinson----DeGuzman-------Morgan

trane
08-17-2011, 10:43 AM
^ That 3-4-3, looks like 3-3-3-1, which is a good formation, seldom used, but effective, if it stays compact.

PopePouri
08-17-2011, 10:57 AM
^ That 3-4-3, looks like 3-3-3-1, which is a good formation, seldom used, but effective, if it stays compact.

It depends though. In the last game I thought Avila was playing no. 10 and De Guzman was DM. I don't think they we're playing on the same plane. That would replicate what we played on Saturday.

Carts
08-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Yay!
Toronto@Tauro match will be streamed on Concacaf site now! :flare:
http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/WatchLive

Its also been moved to Setanta - live...

And Setanta is on free preview for those who don't already subscribe...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM

think we will see this
dont think we have the security at the back to do 3 across quite yet

Carts
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM

Then again he may 3-4-3 so who knows.

-----Eckersley--Henry----Iro------

Stinson----DeGuzman-------Morgan

I'm not sure Kovermans starts...

From fatigue to fitness, to the different style and officiating in these CONCACAF nations...

I think we might see Kovermans on the bench - and only used if we need a goal midway through or late in the 2nd half...

Canary10
08-17-2011, 11:14 AM
We have a little bit of depth, at least in our midfield and up front. I think what we're going to continue to see is a rotation of players through the CCL and the rest of the MLS regular season. Hopefully Frei, Frings and Koevs will play most games though.

Detroit_TFC
08-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I'd be inclined to not play Koevermans tomorrow, so he can see what goes on with these games. Play him in the home leg for sure.

Carts
08-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd be inclined to not play Koevermans tomorrow, so he can see what goes on with these games. Play him in the home leg for sure.

He got 20-mins in the Real Esteli match away from home - so he got a bit of a feel for the tactics and officiating...

I think its more style of play and rest that'll keep him on the bench...

If we're a goal to the good midway through or late in the 2nd half - he can watch the 90-mins, but if we're down, in he goes...

DangerRed
08-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Id still rather Iro than Harden in a heart beat

Absolutely. Iro is a decent player, but has made a number of boneheaded mistakes recently. I think having him start in a game where TFC bosses its opponent could go a long way to a confidence rebuild.

Redpunkfiddle
08-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I am guessing that Johnson will be the CF just like the game in Esteli.

Edit: Johnson is injured?

PopePouri
08-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree with the Koov.

Is Griffit fit now? If he is and Johnson is still injured, he can play 10 and Peri moves to no. 9.

DangerRed
08-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I agree with the Koov.

Is Griffit fit now? If he is and Johnson is still injured, he can play 10 and Peri moves to no. 9.

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens18237691_1311936679me-gusta-meme.jpg

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I dunno guys. Against MLS competition, I would go with Iro over Harden, but against the speedy, diminutive, diving Latin American players in the CCL, Iro is a penalty kick waiting to happen.

DangerRed
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I dunno guys, against MLS competition, I would go with Iro over Harden, but against the speedy, diminutive, diving Latin American players in the CCL, Iro is a penalty kick waiting to happen.

Bah, Harden's the same. And to boot, they're both pylon-shaped, Titanic-speed defenders when compared against smaller Lat Am attackers.

Put it this way: how do you think Harden or Iro would do defending against Plata?

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2011, 12:17 PM
I hear ya, but Harden is more agile than Iro, so it's the lesser of two evils. At least Harden hasn't been penalized in the box regularly. TFC can't afford to give away a goal in these matches.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Bah, Harden's the same. And to boot, they're both pylon-shaped, Titanic-speed defenders when compared against smaller Lat Am attackers.

Put it this way: how do you think Harden or Iro would do defending against Plata?

Harden has proven his worth to me, Iro still has yet to do that and was part of a decent team previously so i suspect we have yet to see the best of him. As discussed ad nauseum hes been on the bench elsewhere and played 3 poor games here, thats not exactly the recipe for a large ego.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I hear ya, but Harden is more agile than Iro, so it's the lesser of two evils. At least Harden hasn't been penalized in the box regularly. TFC can't afford to give away a goal in these matches.

he just plays way out of position and gets danced around regularly.
We can agree to disagree, as much as you dislike Iro, i dislike Harden

DangerRed
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM

He's more agile, but I think (without having looked at Chalk Board, so I stand to be corrected) that it's safe to say that Harden is out of position much more often. Granted, Iro's been with the team a very short time, but even so, positioning is what consistently burns defences - at least as much as a lack of agility.

DangerRed
08-17-2011, 12:21 PM
he just plays way out of position and gets danced around regularly.
We can agree to disagree, as much as you dislike Iro, i dislike Harden

He's more agile, but I think (without having looked at Chalk Board, so I stand to be corrected) that it's safe to say that Harden is out of position much more often. Granted, Iro's been with the team a very short time, but even so, positioning is what consistently burns defences - at least as much as a lack of agility.

LOL.

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't like Harden, and I don't dislike Iro. I just think Iro is the greater liability between the two against a team like Tauro with CCL officiating.

Canary10
08-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Henry makes the most sense if speed is a factor. Pair Iro or Harden with him. Preferably Harden (can't believe I'm actually saying that, but I think everyone is right in saying Iro is a penalty waiting to happen).

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2011, 12:27 PM
For the record, if Iro starts, I hope I'm proven wrong.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
LOL.

great minds think alike.

Ive screamed out loud at the TV and at Harden (and Gargan and Borman) for that mistake a billion times this season

DangerRed
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
great minds think alike.

Ive screamed out loud at the TV and at Harden (and Gargan and Borman) for that mistake a billion times this season

Borman is absolutely the worst for this. Mind you, I think Borman would fare better playing in midfield than at the back. He'd be a mediocre midfielder instead of being an atrocious defender. If you're an attacker, you seriously can just stop with the ball and just wait for Borman or Harden to move out of your way. Most of the time, they will.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Borman is absolutely the worst for this. Mind you, I think Borman would fare better playing in midfield than at the back. He'd be a mediocre midfielder instead of being an atrocious defender. If you're an attacker, you seriously can just stop with the ball and just wait for Borman or Harden to move out of your way. Most of the time, they will.

HAHA
agreed 100%

i think he was used as one when he first got to NYRB and was one in Uni

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I have literally yelled his name at him (im in the 4th row) and ive seen him go at a dude seconds after screaming GO AT HIM, i guess its second instinct maybe? He always gives dudes WAY too much room too

DangerRed
08-18-2011, 08:39 AM
I feel this is going to be another big game for Johnson and if Peri gets some service he might prove dangerous as well.

Excited to watch it tonight, even though there'll be plenty of antifootball.

TFC 2 - 1 Tauro

Canary10
08-18-2011, 08:44 AM
I have a feeling this game may look a little like the TFC-DC United game. From everything I've read, this is a team that is likely to put 10 men behind the ball and play for the counter. May also not be disciplined enough to do it the whole game. But we'll see. Toronto may have trouble breaking it down. We're going to have to play quickly, with more incisive passing like the second half of the DC game. And run at them a bit.

Detroit_TFC
08-18-2011, 11:04 AM
We have got to watch for the counterattack. Frankly I don't care if its a boring game. I'd be perfectly happy if we hold possession and make pretty triangles for 90 minutes. We can take care of business back at BMO. I get the feeling that if we go at them bluntly trying to get the away goal we are going to get burned.

Edit:
Doesn't look like we have the luxury of getting a draw here, which I still think is the right strategy to deal with games like this. Got to get the win otherwise we are cooked in the group.

Chubbs
08-18-2011, 11:20 AM
So this game is going to be live @ Joes?

KGH
08-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Updated Injury report:

TORONTO FC -- OUT: MF Elbekay Bouchiba (R knee surgery recovery); DF Adrian Cann (R knee surgery recovery); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); QUESTIONABLE: DF Eddy Viator (L hamstring tightness); MF Leandre Griffit (abdominal strain); MF Eric Avila (R hamstring tightness); PROBABLE: FW Ryan Johnson (ankle sprain); GK Stefan Frei (knee contusion)

Please tell me we didn't trade for another injury prone kid but good to see dunfield and JDG are fully back to health.

GlenM
08-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Avila can't play in CCL rest of way, he already played for FC Dallas in CCL so he's ineligible to play for us in CCL.

GlenM

KGH
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Avila can't play in CCL rest of way, he already played for FC Dallas in CCL so he's ineligible to play for us in CCL.

GlenM

I thought there was debate back and forth as to if he could play or not. So he did play?

But regardless I'm worried about him being injured for league games. We've still got a chance to make the playoffs...:hump:

flatpicker
08-18-2011, 12:06 PM

GlenM

Those rules seem kinda silly to me.
They should change the rules so that maybe that player is only prohibited from playing in the group stage,
But then can play again if the team advances... or some such thing.

I don't get what the big deal is.

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Those rules seem kinda silly to me.
They should change the rules so that maybe that player is only prohibited from playing in the group stage,
But then can play again if the team advances... or some such thing.

I don't get what the big deal is.

In this case, I'll take the trade off of Avila and Santos being omitted from this round of the CCL. I have a feeling that Santos would have been a serious thorn on our side.

GlenM
08-18-2011, 12:13 PM
If you read today's news thread link about TFC missing players it mentions this in there about Avila already playing for FC Dallas and being banned the rest of the way.

It's what it's...

GlenM

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2011, 12:18 PM
The pressure is on TFC tonight...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/18/kick-tfc-can-make-it-5-5-mls-ccl-openers

Kick Off: TFC can make it 5-for-5 for MLS in CCL openers

With a win, Toronto can make it a clean sweep for MLS in CCL

It’s up to you Toronto FC.

MLS sides can go a remarkable five-for-five in their opening group matches in the CONCACAF Champions League should Toronto FC secure a victory on the road at Tauro in Panama tonight (8 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer), although they will have to do it without Torsten Frings and Eric Avila. (http://www.lfpress.com/sports/soccer/2011/08/17/18566676.html)

KGH
08-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Ahhhh...didn't read that. Guess we'll have 2 rested midfielders for Saturdays game.

Redpunkfiddle
08-18-2011, 12:24 PM

GlenM

Just a note for down the road- he can't play in the group stage. Teams resubmit roster lists for the knockout rounds, should they qualify.

flatpicker
08-18-2011, 12:33 PM
^ Thanks for that update... makes more sense now.

Ageroo
08-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Updated Injury report:

TORONTO FC -- OUT: MF Elbekay Bouchiba (R knee surgery recovery); DF Adrian Cann (R knee surgery recovery); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); QUESTIONABLE: DF Eddy Viator (L hamstring tightness); MF Leandre Griffit (abdominal strain); MF Eric Avila (R hamstring tightness); PROBABLE: FW Ryan Johnson (ankle sprain); GK Stefan Frei (knee contusion)

Maybe we get to see Robinson now as well.

Ageroo
08-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Ahhhh...didn't read that. Guess we'll have 2 rested midfielders for Saturdays game.

I am assuming that Frings and Avila didn't make the trip....it is good for team chemistry to bring them along for moral support, but makes more sense to keep them in Toronto before the Chicago match. A nice short flight for them. Anyone know if they remained at home?

Yohan
08-18-2011, 01:05 PM
for some reason I don't see frings as stay at home type captain... at least, if I was the captain, i'd be with the lads

kodiakTFC
08-18-2011, 02:06 PM
The pressure is on TFC tonight...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/18/kick-tfc-can-make-it-5-5-mls-ccl-openers

Kick Off: TFC can make it 5-for-5 for MLS in CCL openers

With a win, Toronto can make it a clean sweep for MLS in CCL

It’s up to you Toronto FC.

MLS sides can go a remarkable five-for-five in their opening group matches in the CONCACAF Champions League should Toronto FC secure a victory on the road at Tauro in Panama tonight (8 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer), although they will have to do it without Torsten Frings and Eric Avila. (http://www.lfpress.com/sports/soccer/2011/08/17/18566676.html)

5-5 would be awesome considering the Mexican clubs went 2-4.

GlenM
08-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Just a note for down the road- he can't play in the group stage. Teams resubmit roster lists for the knockout rounds, should they qualify.

Yes, this makes sense, we get out of group stage to knockout it's a new slate and he can be included/selected in the roster.

Good stuff and clarification all around guys.

GlenM

maninb
08-18-2011, 02:26 PM
That Dallas win was bad for us...Now we probably have to get a win & tie vs Dallas to advance...I doubt we can get any kind of result down in Mexico...

LittleOzzy
08-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Sad state the team is in when fans are already saying it's over before they have even played a game.

mdc 77
08-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I feel the boys have come together really well in the last month through all the changes, perfect timing for the ccl and really this is all they have to play for this year. I'm going to say we pull out a brilliant road match tonight and take this 3-1.

I see Plata once again having a great game, De Guzman and Marosevic coming up big and TFC controlling the ball. Key tonight will be quick and accurate passing, Tauro will not defend well if we can be quick with the ball.

Dv23
08-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Sad state the team is in when fans are already saying it's over before they have even played a game.

My sentiments exactly. Why can't you all think positive, like me. I think we're going to win EVERY.. SINGLE.. GAME.

oxygenatedbrain
08-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes, this makes sense, we get out of group stage to knockout it's a new slate and he can be included/selected in the roster.

Good stuff and clarification all around guys.

GlenM

5.4 Once having been properly inscribed on a Roster List for one Team, in any Phase, a player may not be inscribed on the Roster List for any other Team in the CCL in the same season of competition, in any Phase.

billyfly
08-18-2011, 03:41 PM
GAME DAY. I AM HYPED (just a little)

denime
08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Updated Injury report:

Please tell me we didn't trade for another injury prone kid but good to see dunfield and JDG are fully back to health.

No we did not,but we are the team that practice on artificial turf 3 times per week.:facepalm:

bgnewf
08-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Panama Again!

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/08/panama-again/

Thoughts ahead of the TFC v Tauro FC Champions League match

Blowing Bubbles
08-18-2011, 06:16 PM

sad state or application of probability theory?

that result fucked us. obviously it's not over, but our chances of getting out of the group have gone down significantly.

cherono
08-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I am assuming that Frings and Avila didn't make the trip....it is good for team chemistry to bring them along for moral support, but makes more sense to keep them in Toronto before the Chicago match. A nice short flight for them. Anyone know if they remained at home?

The CCL has, if nothing else, been great to speed up the team's bonding. Right after the bulk of the trades, we had the extended road trip with the game in Portland, then the Esteli result. I have a feeling that the positive outcomes of those games and the amount of time spent together really helped the squad. Way more than if the team had just spent the week on their own in TO.

2-0 TFC. Go on!

gtaguy
08-18-2011, 06:58 PM
for those rogers suscribers i just realized that setanta is on a free preview tonight so check your local listings.. rogers setanta channel is 429. and for those that can't or don't have rogers heres a link ..
http://www.rojadirecta.es/goto/www.cqcfutbol.eu/ch3.html

lets continue the good play tfc has been of late..

CanadaLFC
08-18-2011, 07:08 PM
for those rogers suscribers i just realized that setanta is on a free preview tonight so check your local listings.. rogers setanta channel is 429. and for those that can't or don't have rogers heres a link ..
http://www.rojadirecta.es/goto/www.cqcfutbol.eu/ch3.html

lets continue the good play tfc has been of late..

Also for people using Bell TV, the freeview is on ch. 420 in standard and 1414 in HD.