PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Keane to LA?

Island Man
08-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Ives seems to think it is happening with Angel leaving to possibly Philly. Keane would be a gresat signing for the MLS and could actually see him do well here.

Thoughts?

MartinUtd
08-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Fuck LA and fuck Keane if he ends up there.

Roogsy
08-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I am baffled at how LA can afford these moves given the amount they are commited to under the cap and the salaries they are carrying.

Pigfynn
08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
__ ____ ____ ____ league apart

KGH
08-12-2011, 03:22 PM
$9mil for 2 seasons. Wow. I thought only a couple clubs were profitable?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
who the fuck wants Angel at this point?

DangerRed
08-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Wow, there is a lot of transfer activity going on right now. Weekend deals for sure, makes sense with the window closing. Yet we still have nothing notable to add at the back line.

Canary10
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Keane's barely played in the past two years. He was used sparingly with a relegation team last year (West Ham). Maybe he'll be all right, who knows. He used to be good.

Boondaddy
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
__ ____ ____ ____ league apart

He would tear this

Pookie
08-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I am baffled at how LA can afford these moves given the amount they are commited to under the cap and the salaries they are carrying.

It's because we really don't have much of a cap. Where is that dust2 guy when you want to argue?

Only the base salary counts against it (or so it seems). LA could offer up an incentive/bonus laden contract with a very small base and still fit under the cap.

This notion that only DPs can circumvent the cap seems laughable when there are a few non-DPs earning well over $400k in total compensation and the max cap hit for any player is $335k.

Most teams don't take advantage of it because they don't have the means. LA does. And Toronto should follow suit.

There there is that mysterious allocation money which is handed out for "exceptional circumstances" under non-disclosures which can be used to buy down cap hits.

I guess it is what you get when you need strong TV markets in LA and New York and the owner of the teams is the league itself.

Yohan
08-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Keane's barely played in the past two years. He was used sparingly with a relegation team last year (West Ham). Maybe he'll be all right, who knows. He used to be good.he tore SPL apart on loan to Celtic 2 yrs ago. he was injured often while on loan with West Ham

if he stays healthy... wow...

dantdot
08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
<-----------

Pigfynn
08-12-2011, 03:38 PM
He would tear this

:hurray::thumbsup::party:

Detroit_TFC
08-12-2011, 03:52 PM
LAG is going to have to add a lot of sugar to the arrangement that gets JPA off their roster. If everybody knows that Robbie is sitting with pen in hand just waiting for JPA to GTFO, its a buyers market.

What's the over/under that the league cooks up an exception for this?

West220Side
08-12-2011, 04:11 PM
He's still wanted in England. I saw an article that said Sven wanted him.

However I remember reading an article while Robbie Keane was still at Celtic that if he was to come to MLS, his wife would want him to be in LA. (Surprise)

Greatest Ripoff
08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
he tore SPL apart on loan to Celtic 2 yrs ago. he was injured often while on loan with West Ham

if he stays healthy... wow...

A little biased but he was shit with West Ham last year. He missed a few easy ones in the last couple of games that very could have kept them up.

Oblio2
08-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Love Robbie Keane.....

T-boy
08-12-2011, 04:34 PM
A fit Robbie Keane would score boat loads of goals in the MLS! Seriously, boat loads!

Chubbs
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Robbie would be a fantastic addition to the MLS, its just a shame that I wont be able to cheer for him as he tears this league apart.

denime
08-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Roogs I think this whole cap/allocation money is just one big farce,for the owners to hide behind it when they see the use.

It's so obvious that NYRB and LA can sign whoever the fuck they want,and it comes down to owners commitment and wanting to spend $$$.

I was told few months back that TFC can sign DPs and many other players if they really want to,MLS HQ was willing to help bending some rules for them, since ML$E made enough $$$ in first 4 years for the league.

prizby
08-12-2011, 05:34 PM
philly was better off keeping ruiz then getting Angel

nobodybeatsthewiz
08-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Keane's barely played in the past two years. He was used sparingly with a relegation team last year (West Ham). Maybe he'll be all right, who knows. He used to be good.

he's awesome internationally for rep ireland, but has been anything but in league play for years. love the keaneo....LOVE him, dont care if he were to play for the red bulls or crew, love keaneeeeeeeeoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Yohan
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
wonder if LA is willing to pay JPA's salary as long as a team is willing to take him...

Super
08-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Hmm, well, I don't really believe entirely that LA is bending the rules. I mean, did someone add up the figures? Also, getting rid of Angel would make it an even deal.

Shakes McQueen
08-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Ditto.

So Los Angeles are going to have Beckham, Angel, Donovan, AND Robbie Keane, in addition to all of the other players they are carrying?

How is that even possible?

- Scott

Super
08-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Ditto.

So Los Angeles are going to have Beckham, Angel, Donovan, AND Robbie Keane, in addition to all of the other players they are carrying?

- Scott

We don't know that they'll keep Angel, though. Also, I seriously doubt they're bending the rules beyond what any other club can do. That is a serious charge that honestly should be investigated, because if it's true it might be time to bow out of this league. It would be a huge scandal in my eyes and ears - similar to match fixing.

flamehawk
08-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Pleasee nooo... Robbie Keane is one of my favourite players .. dun want him joining LA

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2011, 06:49 PM
According to Yves, Angel is headed to Chivas USA to make room for Keane.

West220Side
08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3749860/LA-Galaxy-make-a-3m-bid-for-Tottenhams-Robbie-Keane.html

69Chevy396
08-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Ditto.

- Scott
Sound management

Shakes McQueen
08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Sound management

"Special" accountants.

- Scott

habstfc
08-12-2011, 08:06 PM

I am baffled at this also. You are good at this sort of thing, you know all about the ecomomics of mls, what do you come up with? Somebody at mls has alot of explaining to do.

Empirical
08-12-2011, 10:29 PM
that would be a huge legitimacy boost for our league.

Blowing Bubbles
08-12-2011, 11:50 PM
^ making ALL allocation money transactions 100% transparent would be a legitimacy boost.

Seriously - the NFL/NBA/NHL all put their CBA and salary cap rules online so the public can read it and be informed. MLS hides theirs.

Blowing Bubbles
08-13-2011, 02:13 AM
and another dumb question.

why do players like Adu and Feihlbaher (sp?) have to go through the allocation list to negotiate a contract whereas a guy like Keane can just go straight to LA without anyone else putting in a contract offer?

too confusuing imo.

Shakes McQueen
08-13-2011, 02:59 AM
that would be a huge legitimacy boost for our league.

Running this league with transparency, and with equitable labour rules, would give it a legitimacy boost. Moreso than just adding another fancy European name.

At least he's not another borderline retiree, looking for a big paycheck, I guess.

- Scott

MG42
08-13-2011, 06:28 AM
and another dumb question.

why do players like Adu and Feihlbaher (sp?) have to go through the allocation list to negotiate a contract whereas a guy like Keane can just go straight to LA without anyone else putting in a contract offer?

too confusuing imo.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

II. PLAYER ACQUISITION MECHANISMS

MLS teams may acquire players and add them to their rosters via the following mechanisms:

(A) ALLOCATION RANKING

The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a U.S. National Team player who signs with MLS after playing abroad, or a former MLS player who returns to the League after having gone to a club abroad for a transfer fee. The allocation rankings may also be used in the event two or more clubs file a request for the same player on the same day. The allocations will be ranked in reverse order of finish for the 2010 season, taking playoff performance into account.

Once the club uses its allocation ranking to acquire a player, it drops to the bottom of the list. A ranking can be traded, provided that part of the compensation received in return is another club’s ranking. At all times, each club is assigned one ranking. The rankings reset at the end of each MLS League season.

rocker
08-14-2011, 12:03 PM
I think they can fit Robbie Keane into the cap this season no problem, if the salary is pro-rated.
In other words, I don't think the league would charge LA the "half season DP cap hit" since LA is way past playing half its games (73.5%). So I would guess that the DP cap hit would be 26.5% of the normal full season DP hit. I've seen players come into seasons not exactly at the halfway mark and have this sort of pro-rated number (Colin Samuel being the TFC example, although he wasn't a DP).

Also, remember that CCL teams get more allocation for the tourney -- LA is a CCL team this year. They can use that to buy down the cap hit.

If they get rid of Angel to Chivas, they'd have no problem. and then next year Keane's salary would just replace Angels, so Arena would be fine.

Yohan
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
latest in this is that JPA might go to Philly, according to Mondragon...

either way, the deal better get done quick because today is the last day for transfers (excl free agents)

Island Man
08-14-2011, 05:37 PM
LA Galaxy have signed Robbie Keane from Tottenham in a deal worth £3.5m.

Keyman
08-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Source?

Yohan
08-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Source?
http://twitter.com/#!/grantwahl

3.5 million pounds? jeez. highest fee paid for transfer in MLS by far

habstfc
08-14-2011, 07:07 PM
LA Galaxy have signed Robbie Keane from Tottenham in a deal worth £3.5m.

Was there a transfer fee or is that his salary?

Yohan
08-14-2011, 07:20 PM
http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/45147/

mmmikey
08-14-2011, 07:32 PM
what are the rules to paying transfer fees? i was always under the impression that it would have to come from allocation or something like that.

Yohan
08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
what are the rules to paying transfer fees? i was always under the impression that it would have to come from allocation or something like that.
I was under that impression as well... but I guess another subtle DP rule change?

Cashcleaner
08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Whaever LA wants, LA gets. There's no use asking how they could possibly afford another players long the lines of Keane, because the league will simply change the rules to benefit them.

That said, this news really came out of left field.

Shakes McQueen
08-14-2011, 08:48 PM

This was my understanding as well. Of course, with the opaque wall of secrecy surrounding MLS financials, we may never find out how they swung this.

Maybe another rule change, or a "clarification" of the existing rules.

If the 3.5m is a transfer fee, I don't possibly see how they could make this deal, under my current understanding of the rules.

- Scott

Azerban
08-14-2011, 08:57 PM
The salary cap implication for transfer fees is that the fee is spread out over the course of the contract.

Example: a player who will be making 200k per year on a 5 year contract is signed for a 1 million dollar transfer fee. It is considered to be 400k a year for the salary cap, and will require a DP slot, despite making less than the DP salary.

Feel free to correct/edit my understanding.

Yohan
08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
The salary cap implication for transfer fees is that the fee is spread out over the course of the contract.

Example: a player who will be making 200k per year on a 5 year contract is signed for a 1 million dollar transfer fee. It is considered to be 400k a year for the salary cap, and will require a DP slot, despite making less than the DP salary.

Feel free to correct/edit my understanding.
that's not my understanding at all. transfer fee is one time application. for example, Alvaro Saborio was acquired after a transfer fee is paid, making him cost more than 400k in fee plus salary, making him DP. After this year, only his salary cap counts (250k iirc), making him a non DP again

feel free to correct me anyone who knows better...

TFCin110
08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
that's not my understanding at all. transfer fee is one time application. for example, Alvaro Saborio was acquired after a transfer fee is paid, making him cost more than 400k in fee plus salary, making him DP. After this year, only his salary cap counts (250k iirc), making him a non DP again

It's MLS so who cares. You and I have a better chance of flying to the moon than understanding roster rules in this league. I am glad the league continues to get top class internationals.

Azerban
08-14-2011, 09:46 PM

i swear they way i posted was the way it used to work; but i read some more into it, and this seems to be right. seems to be, of course, because logically there's nothing official posted anywhere.

this unofficial guide to MLS roster rules and regulations might clear everything up though: http://i.imgur.com/d2IFe.gif

Azerban
08-14-2011, 09:51 PM
additionally, under this rule, wouldn't it be advantageous to snap up a high quality prospect from a central/south american country for a transfer fee each year, using a DP slot temporarily, but then benefiting long term from massive cap relief the year after when you can pay him 50k p.a.?

Yohan
08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
additionally, under this rule, wouldn't it be advantageous to snap up a high quality prospect from a central/south american country for a transfer fee each year, using a DP slot temporarily, but then benefiting long term from massive cap relief the year after when you can pay him 50k p.a.?
it's what couple of teams are doing already. Revs with that Caraglio guy, Dallas with Castillo, Alvaro Fernandez from Seattle, etc

ag futbol
08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
it's what couple of teams are doing already. Revs with that Caraglio guy, Dallas with Castillo, Alvaro Fernandez from Seattle, etc
That could be the situation in Vancouver as well with Jarju ... hard to tell at this point though.

DichioTFC
08-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Another article: http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2011/08/15/2620839/ireland-captain-robbie-keane-completes-initial-35-million-dollar-

Interesting subpoint regarding our Canadian rivals:

He has previously spoken of his desire to one day play in the MLS and had the option of joining Vancouver Whitecaps in January before he decided to sign for West Ham on loan.

DichioTFC
08-15-2011, 07:24 AM
And apparently LAG still have only 3DPs, the article states Juan Pablo Angel is with Philly Union now (thank god Mariner didn't sign him like we were demanding at the preseason, he's been a flop this year)

ag futbol
08-15-2011, 08:04 AM
I was thinking about this and there are plenty of creative ways they can get around the rule.

Even if they keep Angel, Keane's salary can be shifted forward so he wouldn't need to occupy a DP slot until next year (when Angel will be gone anyway).

ANTZ
08-15-2011, 08:55 AM
LA Signs Robbie Keane 2 yr Deal, what a crazy team they Have!!
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/) www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2011/08/15/2620839/ireland-captain-robbie-keane-completes-initial-35-million-dollar-

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I wonder how much emphasis LA will put on doing well in the CCL?
Will they save their A-list players for winning the Shield and Cup?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
prob not much, Arena/Anschultz really seem to stress the Cup

Detroit_TFC
08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
So, announcement tomorrow or after they find someplace for JPA to go? I know that Philly is linked but do they have the money?

Yohan
08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I think MLS Cup is priority for LA, or else the Beckham experiment would be considered a failure

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Well, here's hoping LA doesn't get past the CCL group stage.

Regardless, good for LA, if this acquisition works out for them.
There are all sorts strange quirks in the MLS rules,
and if clubs can make them work in their favour, then great.

I think it's just another sign that MLS is slowly getting more attractive.
I know these guys are coming in to "retire",
But it's happening more and more.
And perhaps, one day soon, we will see players like this coming to MLS earlier in their careers.

Yohan
08-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Ives reporting that JPA is going to Chivas USA

http://twitter.com/#!/soccerbyives

__wowza
08-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I think it's just another sign that MLS is slowly getting more attractive.
I know these guys are coming in to "retire",
But it's happening more and more.
And perhaps, one day soon, we will see players like this coming to MLS earlier in their careers.

i doubt that with keane as much as it sounds like it. as a spurs fan, im glad we're trimming the club fat, but keane still has a lot of production in him. he wants first team football and he wants to prove he's still got it.

if he comes to the league hes going to do it to try and tear this league apart. plus, ive always had a soft spot for him, when be a pro was first introduced in fifa i had him playing second striker to my guy on TFC. :D

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 11:34 AM
^ I wasn't suggesting that Keane is only here for the paycheque.
Just pointing out that MLS seems to becoming a more realistic destination for top players,
Even though they aren't coming over in their "prime", this is still a good sign.
And, in the coming years, I think we will see younger talent choosing MLS as a good choice for employment.

And, hopefully, the more attractive MLS becomes,
The better the chance that MLS will no longer need the "single entity" structure to survive.
Which I see as our next big step in becoming a respectable league.

But I'm straying off topic here...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
at least as a springboard

Carts
08-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Ives reporting that JPA is going to Chivas USA

http://twitter.com/#!/soccerbyives (http://twitter.com/#%21/soccerbyives)

Perfect for him in that he won't have to move or even change his drive to work! :D

Gazza
08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Wow, i don't think i've ever cheered against Robbie Keane before. This is going to be strange. But thank goodness he's in the west.

He would tear Andy Iro apart.

redcard
08-15-2011, 12:59 PM
its official....

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2011/08/la-galaxy-agree-terms-ireland-international-robbie-keane

Eastend
08-15-2011, 01:35 PM
This pisses me off......damn.

PopePouri
08-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Great for the league.

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
It's a good thing TFC doesn't have to play LA again this season, because Robbie Keane will most definitely tear this league apart.

West220Side
08-15-2011, 02:24 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/spurs-confirm-keane-departure-16036825.html

"I am delighted, honoured and very excited to be joining the LA Galaxy," Keane told The Galaxy's website. "I have always wanted to come and play in MLS so it's the perfect combination for me and a dream come true.
"My family and I have already been made to feel very welcome in telephone calls from (Galaxy owner) Tim Leiweke and (manager) Bruce Arena. Also, when David Beckham came and trained at Spurs (in January) recently he couldn't speak highly enough about the Galaxy, their fans and the league in general, so I can't wait to get over and get started."
"I have already discussed football with Bruce Arena and I know exactly what he wants from me," Keane added. "I am fit, fresh and ready to go. I've come here to score goals and help this team achieve their goals.
"This is a massive opportunity for me in my career. I aim to grab it with both hands and hopefully help give the Galaxy fans what they want."
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3749860/LA-Galaxy-make-a-3m-bid-for-Tottenhams-Robbie-Keane.html

LA GALAXY are making a shock £3million raid to take Robbie Keane to America.

And David Beckham has been urging the Spurs striker to jump at the chance of finishing his career in the MLS.(svens upset @keane)

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15082011/63/foxes-miss-keane.html

Leicester had also shown an interest in signing the Republic of Ireland international, but Eriksson does not expect Keane to drop down to the Championship.
"I saw in the papers that Robbie Keane is going to play with David Beckham. If that is right, it is difficult to compete," Eriksson told the Leicester Mercury.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-rt-us-soccer-us-galaxy-keanetre7720110815,0,5500521.story

"...whenDavid Beckham came and trained at Spurs recently he couldn't speak highly enough about the Galaxy, their fans and the league in general, so I can't wait to get over and get started," Keane was quoted as saying on the Galaxy website.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/944042/tottenham-striker-robbie-keane-moves-to-la-galaxy-on-two-year-deal?cc=5901&fgh

Keane's agreed deal was complicated by MLS rules, which state that any American team must have only three high-earning squad members, known as "designated players".
The Galaxy currently have David Beckham, Landon Donovan and Juan Pablo Angel registered as their "designated players" and must lose one of them to allow Keane to join. Angel, the former Aston Villa striker, will now leave the Galaxy, with Philadelphia Union reportedly interested in signing him.

I wonder if Keane will remain getting called up to the national squad?

Yohan
08-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Apparently trap is ok w keane going to the gals as long as he gets first team football

West220Side
08-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Apparently trap is ok w keane going to the gals as long as he gets first team football

He's still a world class player. Would be a shame for him to miss out on getting capped because he plays in MLS. Hopefully he can remain being capped.

Redcoe15
08-15-2011, 02:43 PM
With Beckham having the option of handing off to either Keane or Donovan... :eek:

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I wonder if this will convince Beckham to extend his contract.

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 02:46 PM
With Beckham having the option of handing off to either Keane or Donovan... :eek:

Yeah, I'd say LA is the favourite to take home the hardware this year.

DichioTFC
08-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Cant wait to see Keane line up against Henry :D

flatpicker
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Cant wait to see Keane line up against Henry :D

They'll be facing each other at the end of the month.
I'm sure it will be hyped up big time.

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2011, 02:56 PM
LA vs NY is going to be a hell of a matchup coming up, especially if both clubs are healthy.

Yohan
08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Well the gals have this tendency to choke and keane has lost a little bit of pace.

Just thankful that im not going to see keane taking on iro this season ugh

rocktml
08-15-2011, 08:38 PM
meh nothing to get excited about

Torontotonto
08-15-2011, 08:44 PM
i doubt that with keane as much as it sounds like it. as a spurs fan, im glad we're trimming the club fat, but keane still has a lot of production in him. he wants first team football and he wants to prove he's still got it.

if he comes to the league hes going to do it to try and tear this league apart. plus, ive always had a soft spot for him, when be a pro was first introduced in fifa i had him playing second striker to my guy on TFC. :D

In MLS he will still have it, would have liked to see him in RED.
LA is going for it all.

jloome
08-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I wonder what the odds on Danny Koevermans beating Robbie Keane for goals the rest of the way would be?

Yohan
08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
I wonder what the odds on Danny Koevermans beating Robbie Keane for goals the rest of the way would be?
well, danny k has a bit of head start, and keane is waiting for his visa... plus waiting for JPA trade to actually happen

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2011, 10:09 PM
think it mostly depends on whos the most match fit

Greatest Ripoff
08-15-2011, 10:43 PM
He's still a world class player. Would be a shame for him to miss out on getting capped because he plays in MLS. Hopefully he can remain being capped.

He's not even close to a world class player. He was very poor and out played by his team mates on a relegated West Ham side last year.

Maybe he'll do better in MLS but I am not ready to say he'll succeed.

Oblio2
08-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Dude. you have no idea what you are talking about.

__wowza
08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
anyone else find it weird that we can get lumped into the same grade category as NYRB for the pickup? MLS had an article rating the additions and we were up there with the red bulls, but seriously.. keane hasnt even played a fucking match yet!!