PDA

View Full Version : Updated: Philly signs Freddy Adu

[NBF]
08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Fox Soccer Report, just mentioned Freddy Adu is going to Chivas USA as a DP.

Also, Danny McMahon on FSC doesnt think that Eddie Johnson who was released by Fulham will be able to find a club to play for in Europe and most likely will be on his way to MLS as well.

I think at this point its also safe to say that former Chivas USA goalkeeper Brad Guzan who signed with Aston Villa will be playing in England much longer and is likely to return to MLS. Dude hasnt started a single game for Villa.

UPDATE: Apparently he's decided to go to Philadelphia Union instead of Chivas USA and its not quite known yet wether he will be a DP.

Empirical
08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I guess its safe to say the Jose Bosingwa deal fell through?

Oldtimer
08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
aaahhhhh hahahahahaha

I hope they do sign him!!!!!

TorCanSoc
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Freddy is still a good player. Great showing at the Gold Cup. He's what 21, with 7 years of pro experience.

A DP though? Not sure.

habstfc
08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Freddy is still a good player. Great showing at the Gold Cup. He's what 21, with 7 years of pro experience.

A DP though? Not sure.

I am thinking the same thing, I wouldn't say he has been a complete failure in europe but not awe inspiring enought to be a DP.

prizby
08-10-2011, 10:47 PM
guzan to the mls?

not a chance...plenty of teams want him in europe...villa is holding on to him for no apparent reason

TFCRegina
08-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Junior Hoilett to Toronto FC for a 4th Round draftpick in the supplemental draft and allocation money.

J .
08-11-2011, 01:47 AM
It would be nice to have Adu as our AM....

Detroit_TFC
08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
A low end DP, yes. Might actually work for CUSA, NER would be another one where he would fit well.

ag futbol
08-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Hold the presses. Ives reporting that upper management at Chivas balked and he's going to Phily

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/08/adu-signing-with-philadelphia-union.html

Island Man
08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah pretty much confirmed that he is going to Philly as DP.

ryan
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I've read it's not a DP deal. Guess we'll wait till tomorrow.

MarkoftheDrink
08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
AFAIK this is the allocation order right now:

1. Chivas USA
2. Philadelphia Union
3. Houston Dynamo
4. Toronto FC

I wonder if we'll have the chance to pick up anyone interesting this season.

denime
08-11-2011, 07:39 PM
It would be nice to have Adu as our AM....

No thanks,there is a good reason why he changed 5 clubs and 4 countries in less than 3 years.

0 work ethic,spending more time on Twitter and FB than practicing,MLS made him a star to early,now he is average MLS player and burned out at the age of 22, I think under Klinsi he wont see USMNT anytime soon.

and Freddy Adu nails deal with Union (http://www.google.ca/url?url=http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/story/Freddy-Adu-returns-to-MLS-with-Philadelphia-Union-&rct=j&sa=X&ei=c3ZETrWVIbTPiAKYtZTLAQ&ved=0CC8Q-AsoADAA&q=freddy+adu&usg=AFQjCNFLYnXr9lc1JjdEwo2KjlOCqwk2PQ&cad=rja)‎

rocker
08-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I think if this guy wasn't American, he wouldn't be in MLS again, and wouldn't be getting DP money. He's still a big project to me. It's not like he's lit up any of the leagues he's been in since he left MLS.

I can't judge him on the Gold Cup, since from what I remember, he only came on as a sub late in one game and started in the final (less than 1.5 games out of 6). I do remember he had a nice pass down to the wing to Donovan against Panama (I think), which eventually led to a goal.

He has talent, but a DP is too much for a guy like him. He should start at 125-175K, regain form, prove he has it and can be consistent, and then we can talk about DP status. He's still living off the hype, back when MLS wasn't what it is today.

habstfc
08-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I think if this guy wasn't American, he wouldn't be in MLS again, and wouldn't be getting DP money. He's still a big project to me. It's not like he's lit up any of the leagues he's been in since he left MLS.

I can't judge him on the Gold Cup, since from what I remember, he only came on as a sub late in one game and started in the final (less than 1.5 games out of 6). I do remember he had a nice pass down to the wing to Donovan against Panama (I think), which eventually led to a goal.

He has talent, but a DP is too much for a guy like him. He should start at 125-175K, regain form, prove he has it and can be consistent, and then we can talk about DP status. He's still living off the hype, back when MLS wasn't what it is today.

What exactly were his stats in mls anywats?

jloome
08-11-2011, 10:55 PM

I watched his play in Greece and Turkey and he was a lot more mature. They still seemed to use him late in games a lot, which I guess isn't a great sign, but he was very effective.

Shakes McQueen
08-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Kind of a depressing DP signing. Hey, we signed this American guy who failed his way out of Europe!

- Scott

drexel10
08-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Kind of a depressing DP signing. Hey, we signed this American guy who failed his way out of Europe!

- Scott

Donoavan failed in Europe and JDG thrived. Adu is a game changer and JDG isn't. So what is depressing?

Shakes McQueen
08-11-2011, 11:56 PM
I think sayong Donovan "failed' in Europe is simplistic. He failed to stick at Bayern Munich, but more than impressed at Everton, and were it not for LA not wanting to let him go, he'd probably be there now.

And my point was that bringing in a DP who failed out of Europe is sad, as opposed to bringing in a veteran with career achievements, or a younger player who was thriving. I have no idea how he will do in MLS, though I suspect not as well as you evidently expect.

He never stuck in Europe, and the quality of MLS has improved dramatically since he originally impressed here.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2011, 03:09 AM
in fairness how much time did Adu get in Europe?
Dont forget he was in at least 1 coaching change in portugal

jaahuuu
08-12-2011, 07:46 AM
oops, I need to learn to read.

Oldtimer
08-12-2011, 08:12 AM
There is no way Freddy Adu is worth a DP spot. He's a decent but underperforming compared with his hype player, that's been true everywhere he's played, even when he was with DC United he was far from being their best player.

The thing that was amazing about him was how early he developed his skills. People looked at that trajectory, and thought he was the next Pele (and he was hyped as that too). However, his development hasn't continued on at that pace.

Later on questions arose about his true age (age fraud is very common in Ghana). It's been alleged that he was no way the prodigy that was thought, but he actually was a couple of years older, and just a somewhat above-average player.

I'll be quite happy if Chivas wastes a DP spot on Freddy, He's a decent player, but using up that much cap space is poor return on investment.

tfcleeds
08-12-2011, 08:15 AM
What's the deal with this? I read an article on Soccernet saying he was heading to Philly, and not Chivas.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6854572/freddy-adu-return-mls-philadelphia-union-reports-say

Oldtimer
08-12-2011, 08:16 AM
What's the deal with this? I read an article on Soccernet saying he was heading to Philly, and not Chivas.

Philly is next on the allocation list. If Chivas can't come to terms with him, Philly gets a crack. After that, Houston, then Toronto.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2011, 08:21 AM
dunno if hes worth the DP money but he'll prob get paid it as its the MLS, hes a young 'promising' american and hes played at numerous bigger teams. I dont think hes amazing but i do think people are underestimating him right now

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Id take him on this team for sure at a reasonable price

Yohan
08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
I think of him as the american rohan ricketts

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2011, 08:24 AM
thats a bit extreme man

Oldtimer
08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Id take him on this team for sure at a reasonable price

$200k, no problem. That's around what he's really worth in terms of play. However, his "star-power" hasn't worn off yet Stateside, so he'll get more than that.

Detroit_TFC
08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
It's been a combo of bad luck and bad decisions with Freddy Adu since leaving MLS. Bad luck in that the manager at Benfica who brought him over left right afterwards (Fernando Santos). Bad decisions in terms of persisting in his European holding pattern at the cost of his USMNT spot at WC. I blame him for this but also his big-fucking-deal agent Motzkin (who is L Donovan's agent too, and Altidore too I think).

EDIT & CORRECTION - Adu has been with Motzkin only for a yr, clearly not responsible for past. In fact Motzkin may have saved him. My bad.

drexel10
08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I think sayong Donovan "failed' in Europe is simplistic. He failed to stick at Bayern Munich, but more than impressed at Everton, and were it not for LA not wanting to let him go, he'd probably be there now.

And my point was that bringing in a DP who failed out of Europe is sad, as opposed to bringing in a veteran with career achievements, or a younger player who was thriving. I have no idea how he will do in MLS, though I suspect not as well as you evidently expect.

He never stuck in Europe, and the quality of MLS has improved dramatically since he originally impressed here.

- Scott

Na, I am talking about a younger Donovan that failed at Leverkusen. He came back to the MLS slightly embarrased as he was the face of US soccer. Then they paid him more because he was the face and since then he has impressed. Adu is young (for arguments sake, he might be 28, who knows) and he is very talented. We have had DP's come in this league like Mista, Koke, Denilson, overweight guy from Houston, etc. etc. Adu is a player who still has the talent smarts and age to be a DP. I mean Hassli is a fantastic DP, but looking at his resume prior to coming here many would say he isn't worthy.

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2011, 09:12 AM
His agent confirmed the signing to the Union and it is not a DP deal.

Oldtimer
08-12-2011, 09:15 AM
His agent confirmed the signing to the Union and it is not a DP deal.

I guess after Chivas refused a DP deal, Freddy and his agent realized that a deal in the hand is preferable to the unemployment line.

They probably paid him something closer to what he's actually worth (minus the hype).

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2011, 09:35 AM
also his family is in DC which is more or less near by, prob why he may have demanded DP salary at Chivas

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
also Nowak being there

Oldtimer
08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
On the assumption that the deal goes through, the biggest question is: Does it make the Union appreciably better?
In essence, Adu would be replacing 31-year-old Carlos Ruiz, making the Union younger and much more athletic.
Ruiz, who was criticized for a lack of hustle, still was a finisher, and had a team-high six goals before having his rights transferred to Veracruz of Mexico's second-division Liga de Ascenso.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/marc_narducci/20110812_Report__Union_to_acquired_Freddy_Adu.html (http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/marc_narducci/20110812_Report__Union_to_acquired_Freddy_Adu.html #ixzz1UpF64pOu)

Looks like an improvement.

Nowak understands Freddy, too. He pretty-well babysat him as a kid.

QSIM
08-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I guess well see what's improved more:
The MLS over the past half decade or Freddy Adu's pedigree playing (not really) in Eurpoe.

Jack
08-12-2011, 11:10 AM
He's only 22 and he'll finally get to play regularly after several years of sporadic first team action. We might see him blossom here in MLS. He must have learned something from being with Benfica.

LCD Eindhoven
08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Adu, not as a DP would be great for us.. I know lazy, but non DP then move JDG for a DP cb... we would have a lot of areas covered......

TFC07
08-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Adu, not as a DP would be great for us.. I know lazy, but non DP then move JDG for a DP cb... we would have a lot of areas covered......

Easy now!

Adu has a lot of hype that's it!. He's 22 years old already. So it's time for him to perform now.

Serb_Star
08-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah hes "22":rolleyes:

Shakes McQueen
08-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah hes "22":rolleyes:

I don't follow your sarcasm.

- Scott

Yohan
08-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't follow your sarcasm.

- Scott
questions have been raised whether his birth certificate from Ghana is faked...

apparently Klinsmann convinced him that signing for MLS is good since he'd get first team and be more in consideration for USMNT

Fort York Redcoat
08-19-2011, 09:52 AM
I rate Adu as I would Edu.

Both had a lot of potential although Freddy had more hype.
Both went to comparable teams in quality

Edu gets regular time and does a job for Rangers

Adu could not get time at Benfica
-did not do much for a second tier Portuguese side on loan
-or a Greek side on loan
-or a second tier Turkish side on loan

Question: Would this not qualify as him going to a rival. He grew up in Maryland and played for DC.

Great vacation for him though.

kodiakTFC
08-19-2011, 10:21 AM
I rate Adu as I would Edu.

Both had a lot of potential although Freddy had more hype.
Both went to comparable teams in quality

Edu gets regular time and does a job for Rangers

Adu could not get time at Benfica
-did not do much for a second tier Portuguese side on loan
-or a Greek side on loan
-or a second tier Turkish side on loan

Question: Would this not qualify as him going to a rival. He grew up in Maryland and played for DC.

Great vacation for him though.

Didn't he do really well with that side?