PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Sportsnet Has Become Pathetic

prizby
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
It has been recently reported that the TFC game on August 18 against Tauro will be on Setanta Sports.

Now I know that it is rumoured that craptenta might be on free preview, but this is besides the point.

Even though the game kicks off at 8pm and the Jays game isn't until 10pm, Sportsnet seems to have decided that showing re-run/tape-delayed ATP tennis on Ontario, an NFL pre-season game, and two MLB games between American only teams is more important than showing the only live Canadian sports team playing. Once again Rogers Sportsnet has given Canadian Soccer the middle finger. I thought after what happened last game sportsnet they might get things right..WRONG.

QUIT supporting ILLEGAL streaming by putting Canadian content on an overpriced channel.

Shway
08-08-2011, 12:00 PM
overpriced is this right word...
who wants to pay 30bucks for championship,spl, and rugby union

not i said the angry fan

boogs06
08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
overpriced is this right word...
who wants to pay 30bucks for championship,spl, and rugby union

not i said the angry fan

Setanta costs me 14.50 or 17.25 in HD a month and has way more than what you mentioned above and is in HD. At least 4 live BPL games a week and pretty much every game is played on tape delay later in the week. Add in everything u just mentioned plus they had all the gold cup games this year, uefa u19, fifa u20's and the GAA and you get a pretty solid bang for yer buck.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2011, 12:13 PM
if im around ill post links to streams.
everyone whos fucked up showing the game on TV can suck on my balls.

nascarguy
08-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Setanta & sportsnet suck

MKR
08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
ridiculous.

I know it's not something that's in the team's control, but it's almost like everything that can be done to turn off the fans is being done.

Gotta love it.

TOBOR !
08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
if im around ill post links to streams.
everyone whos fucked up showing the game on TV can suck on my balls.

and I'll be waiting here for you to do that, sir.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
check your pms and spread the word

mastermixer
08-08-2011, 01:34 PM
What better way to grow the fan base than to not only raise ticket prices year after year but make it more expensive than ever to watch away games on TV.
Marketing geniuses they are. :rolleyes:

Oldtimer
08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
What better way to grow the fan base than to not only raise ticket prices year after year but make it more expensive than ever to watch away games on TV.
Marketing geniuses they are. :rolleyes:

It was a CSA decision to give it to Rogers. Save your hate for them this time.

maninb
08-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't mind Setanta...I watch 7-8 games/week...works out to be about 50 cents per match....

Don Julio
08-08-2011, 01:55 PM
I used to love Setanta, but since the beginning of the close season the programming break down has been:

40% Rugby
10% U19s
20% U20s
30% Rooney's goddamned goal against City last year repeated and looped ad-fucking-nauseum

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
wont it start to be aired on the concacaaf website too?

Redcoe15
08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Piss. Me. Right. Off! :mad:

Boondaddy
08-08-2011, 01:58 PM
I used to love Setanta, but since the beginning of the close season the programming break down has been:

40% Rugby
10% U19s
20% U20s
30% Rooney's goddamned goal against City last year repeated and looped ad-fucking-nauseum

To be fair, it was a fucking great goal...

mdc 77
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
wont it start to be aired on the concacaaf website too?

Should be
http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/WatchLive

Rudi
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
It was a CONCACAF decision to give it to Rogers. Save your hate for them this time.
Fixed for accuracy.

Ageroo
08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Fixed for accuracy.

Should have figured Rudi....the only organization more messed up than the CSA. :D

Boondaddy
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I think sportsnet realized soon thereafter how bad of a decision it was....BUT it was too late to get anything changed. They apologized on Twitter and said they will get it together for next time.

We'll see what happens...

mastermixer
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
It was a CSA decision to give it to Rogers. Save your hate for them this time.

I know your right... I'm just frustrated in general at how difficult it is for a casual fan to watch a TFC game.

I have so many people who should be fans asking me "So what's going on with TFC these days?" I just wish for once they would come up to me and say "Did you catch the TFC game last night?"

Heathen
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM

40% Rugby
10% U19s
20% U20s

That's why you should cancel in the summer, that's what I always do.

nialando
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
It feels like Sportsnet is punishing TFC for moving their games to GolTV.

Boondaddy
08-08-2011, 03:01 PM
And Why Can"t Rogers Have Gol In Hd????

ochos
08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
That's why you should cancel in the summer, that's what I always do.

That's what I did... then I got a phone call from my dad a few weeks later. He's retired and certainly had had a few beers.

"Kev! Where the f**k is me Rugby League!?!? Leeds are playing Bradford"

Needless to say I had to re-order the channel immediately....

Tim
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
It has been recently reported that the TFC game on August 18 against Tauro will be on Setanta Sports.

Now I know that it is rumoured that craptenta might be on free preview, but this is besides the point.

Even though the game kicks off at 8pm and the Jays game isn't until 10pm, Sportsnet seems to have decided that showing re-run/tape-delayed ATP tennis on Ontario, an NFL pre-season game, and two MLB games between American only teams is more important than showing the only live Canadian sports team playing. Once again Rogers Sportsnet has given Canadian Soccer the middle finger. I thought after what happened last game sportsnet they might get things right..WRONG.

QUIT supporting ILLEGAL streaming by putting Canadian content on an overpriced channel.

Setanta Sports is on free preview August 12 to sometime in September. So no problem as long as your provider carries Setanta and you have digital cable

moralis
08-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi guys,

Setanta Sports will be on a free preview from August 12 to September 13 on Rogers, Bell and MTS. Andy Pereira who runs this Football listings site got the info from a friend inside Rogers Sportsnet.

http://footballtvcanada.blogspot.com/

Heathen
08-08-2011, 04:03 PM
That's what I did... then I got a phone call from my dad a few weeks later. He's retired and certainly had had a few beers.

"Kev! Where the f**k is me Rugby League!?!? Leeds are playing Bradford"

Needless to say I had to re-order the channel immediately....

What's funny is how you can call them up or order the channel through on demand and you'll get it within 2 minutes but when cancelling they have to wait for the end of the billing cycle.

Kooper
08-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Setanta costs me 14.50 or 17.25 in HD a month and has way more than what you mentioned above and is in HD. At least 4 live BPL games a week and pretty much every game is played on tape delay later in the week. Add in everything u just mentioned plus they had all the gold cup games this year, uefa u19, fifa u20's and the GAA and you get a pretty solid bang for yer buck.

Yeah but I remember 6 years ago when I could get all my soccer included with my basic cable plan for 28$. Then came Fox Sportsworld and then Setanta. Since then, yes I happily pay an additional 17$/month but that doesn't mean I don't wish I could pay 28$ all in. I watch 2-3 games a week plus the Sunday review show but I still hate that I have no choice in the matter.

nfitz
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
What's funny is how you can call them up or order the channel through on demand and you'll get it within 2 minutes but when cancelling they have to wait for the end of the billing cycle.They used to cancel at any time. But then people would frequently cancel only after a day or two, to just watch a single game.

People abused it ... so the changed the rules. Not really surprising.

Heathen
08-08-2011, 07:07 PM
They used to cancel at any time. But then people would frequently cancel only after a day or two, to just watch a single game.

there's always one who ruins it for the rest of us :)

prizby
08-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Setanta Sports is on free preview August 12 to sometime in September. So no problem as long as your provider carries Setanta and you have digital cable

maybe you forgot to read!

basically this means that people up in northern ontario don't get the game if they have digital cable

STILL

ROGERS HAS FIVE SPORTSNET CHANNELS

all you need is ONE for the game...shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to play the only CANADIAN content on ONE of the FIVE channels

Kooper
08-08-2011, 09:26 PM
They used to cancel at any time. But then people would frequently cancel only after a day or two, to just watch a single game.

Yeah but they still don't cut you a break after you have had the channel all year and want to cancel it at the end of the premier league season.

Brooker
08-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Rogers Sportsnet Has Become Pathetic

It's been pathetic for years.

Strikers
08-09-2011, 12:30 AM
I haven't trusted Sportsnet since the Canada vs Greece game. First they hype up the game placing adds on how they will televise the match. Then the day before Sportsnet says they will televise the game live on Sportsnet One. Meanwhile East, Ontario, Pacific, & West have the regular morning sports highlight loop. What a joke.

TFCRegina
08-09-2011, 01:22 AM
It's been pathetic for years.

My favourite was when I had all four sportsnet regional channels and then they'd blackout content (the good shit - poker was always available on all four) on three of them.

Thanks guys, really makes me want to watch your channel.

Shway
08-09-2011, 03:31 AM

when you have several channels this sentanta becomes a noticeable difference to your rogers bill, especially when its not worth your buck.
I think you may have over hyped/exaggerated what sentanta offers, whats a game on tape delay when theres a life of PVR?....THose BPL games are more so Stoke vs Fulham, Cardiff vs Leicester ect. the games the main channels dont want cause ESPN which is TSN, IIRC has the rights to play those the BPL games. Sentanta has the NA TV rights to the FA Cup and Carling Cup.

Dont get me wrong there was a time when sentanta was legitimately worth it, but now everything is usually played on your basic channels (TSN, Sportsnet, The Score...even TLN)

In comparison to being a football channel, GOLTV is definately worth it, considering better football gets played on it.

But this is just my observation

J .
08-09-2011, 04:44 AM
Sportnets is horrible, I hate their blackout policies.

The fact they show poker all the time over other content makes me 100% pleased to watch streams online.

nfitz
08-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Sportnets is horrible, I hate their blackout policies.At least they aren't as technically incompetent as TSN. Have a poor quality picture as GOL. Run a ticker like The Score. Or shuffle channels to Bold like CBC.

I guess they all suck.

Fort York Redcoat
08-09-2011, 06:47 AM
So far I get that it will be on Setanta for free as long as the bar that you go to (Joe's) has digital.

Check.

menefreghista
08-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Sportsnet sucks because of how they are treating their soccer properties.

But don't blame them for the black outs. That's on the NHL and the Canadian teams trying to protect their regional boundaries.

Pyeddo
08-09-2011, 07:46 AM
If they don't want to show the original, live TFC content to local supporters on Sportsnet ON then I have no "moral" problem whatsoever streaming it online for free.

The old Zen saying proves true once again: "Water flows downhill following the path of least resistance"

boogs06
08-10-2011, 06:42 AM
when you have several channels this sentanta becomes a noticeable difference to your rogers bill, especially when its not worth your buck.
I think you may have over hyped/exaggerated what sentanta offers, whats a game on tape delay when theres a life of PVR?....THose BPL games are more so Stoke vs Fulham, Cardiff vs Leicester ect. the games the main channels dont want cause ESPN which is TSN, IIRC has the rights to play those the BPL games. Sentanta has the NA TV rights to the FA Cup and Carling Cup.

Dont get me wrong there was a time when sentanta was legitimately worth it, but now everything is usually played on your basic channels (TSN, Sportsnet, The Score...even TLN)

In comparison to being a football channel, GOLTV is definately worth it, considering better football gets played on it.

But this is just my observation

https://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/tv-season-schedules/premier-league-2011-12/

Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tott, Livcerpool, Everton and Newcastle, the 8 teams I really enjoy watching are on Setanta (45) and on live more that Sportsnet (6), SN1 (19) and TSN2 (21) combined. 45-37.

I did not include the monday afternoon TSN2 games because I will never be able to see them live, but your comment about weak teams playing on Setanta is actually the case for Sportsnet Regional, the weak games are all on that channel in the Saturday morning slot, and ironically it is the only channel that can be had in a regular cable package.

Pookie
08-10-2011, 07:57 AM

40% Rugby
10% U19s
20% U20s

Cancel it at the end of the season and renew again in August. Saves you a few fazools.

prizby
08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
So now apparently Setanta will only be playing the game on tape-delay on Friday

WOW, Rogers, I officially LOVE you /end sarcasm

nfitz
08-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Hmm ... the game is on tape-delay on Thursday on Sportsnet 1 at 11 pm.

Though I wonder why Setanta wouldn't run it live a 8 pm. Perhaps this will get sorted before kick-off.

prizby
08-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Setanta showing Galaxy vs. Costa Rican champ on Aug 25 live but can't show tfc live

nfitz
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Setanta showing Galaxy vs. Costa Rican champ on Aug 25 live but can't show tfc livePerhaps something will change between now and then. Setanta's schedules can change frequently before broadcast.

On Thursday at 8 pm, Setanta is airing a repeat of the previous days European Championship Leage game (Europe has one too ... who knew?:noidea:). It seems like an obvious change ...

Super
08-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I think it's well worth the cost. Setanta is the cost of 2 pints per month. Not a bad deal, really. Sure, in comparison to other channels it does stand out on the bill - but in terms of a return in entertainment value I'm pretty pleased overall.

prizby
08-12-2011, 01:34 PM
#BigRSNfail

Miko
08-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I think it's well worth the cost. Setanta is the cost of 2 pints per month. Not a bad deal, really. Sure, in comparison to other channels it does stand out on the bill - but in terms of a return in entertainment value I'm pretty pleased overall.

Agreed - great value for money especially if you are an egg ball fan.

Still a piss off about TFC though. especially since Setanta is bascially Sportsnet International.

However, the one thing to remember is, that in a lot of cases, the network is contractually obligated to show certain events at certain times.

The late addition of a TFC game means that they can't necessarily show it in prime time without considering advertiser refunds and make goods.

prizby
08-12-2011, 05:35 PM
the network is contractually obligated to show certain events at certain times.

The late addition of a TFC game means that they can't necessarily show it in prime time without considering advertiser refunds and make goods.

thats laughable

so basically last minute changes to programming would mean if the leafs or raptors made the playoffs, they'd be also put on tape-delay..YEAH RIGHT

the network is also forced by law to show x amount of canadian content, which begs the question why the stupid games between american teams, rerun champions league, rerun tennis, and rerun poker?

nfitz
08-12-2011, 05:38 PM
The late addition of a TFC game means that they can't necessarily show it in prime time without considering advertiser refunds and make goods.I could buy that for the Blue Jays game. And perhaps even the Yankees game on Sportsnet1.

But a day late repeat of a UEFA Champions League game, that they've already repeated once? I don't think so ... if so, they've got a problem employee in the sales department!