PDA

View Full Version : RSL @ TFC Pre-Match Thread

ManUtd4ever
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
TFC has a rare break in the schedule to prepare for a true litmus test against one of the best in MLS, in the friendly confines of BMO Field. Real Salt Lake has struggled as of late, but their dangerous group of fowards will undoubtedly cause problems for TFC's vulnerable backline. I hope Winter will try a new CB pairing, but he will likely go right back to Andy Iro in an effort to help the much maligned defender regain his form, as well as his confidence.

TFC 2 RSL 2

---------------Frei--------------

Eckersley--Robinson--Iro--Morgan

-----DeGuzman------Frings-------

---------------Avila--------------

Johnson---------------------Plata

------------Koevermans----------

Subs: Dunfield, Marosevic, Griffit

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
iwouldnt mind seeing Robinson or Viator out there with Iro

Yohan
08-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Iro vs diving twatness of Saborio is another PK waiting to happen

Canary10
08-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Out of curiousity, why were Soolsma and Martina left off the roster Saturday? Anyone know?

backbeat
08-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I prefer Plata coming on as a sub:

---------------Frei----------------

Eckersley--Henry--Iro--Morgan-

-----DeGuzman------Frings-------

---------------Avila----------------

Soolsma---------------------Johnson

------------Koevermans----------

subs: Plata, Dunfield, Marosevic

Pachuco
08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
My guess is we'll see the return of Harden at CB this game. He'll then proceed to get destroyed by Saborio and will become the new whipping boy. Simply put, we have no good options in three positions on our defense. I honestly don't care at this point who plays there. They all have the ability to have a disastrous game.

mdc 77
08-08-2011, 09:51 AM
3-1 Tfc

menefreghista
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Out of curiousity, why were Soolsma and Martina left off the roster Saturday? Anyone know?

My guess is with the recent moves they were deemed not even good enough for the bench.

They both played in the reserve game.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Martina sure, Soolsma is still around and still useful.
Whens Griffit supposed to be healthy?

PopePouri
08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Being unbeaten in 4 is fine. This is the true test for the new guys and will help understand the amount of progress we're seeing if there is any. They're at home against a quality side.

rocker
08-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Finally.... a home game after the new lineup has had some games together on the road, and the team has a week between games for rest (something highly unusual this season). I hope that's enough to compete with this RSL team that has stumbled a bit recently.

Yohan
08-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I think Olave is out with injury still so at least a bit of mercy in that. That guy is a stud CB

Canary10
08-08-2011, 10:00 AM
We can definitely be competitve with them, especially at home as we've been against FC Dallas, LA. With the sell-out, not time to have a Philly-esque home game!

ManUtd4ever
08-08-2011, 11:55 AM
My guess is we'll see the return of Harden at CB this game. He'll then proceed to get destroyed by Saborio and will become the new whipping boy. Simply put, we have no good options in three positions on our defense. I honestly don't care at this point who plays there. They all have the ability to have a disastrous game.

Well, there are still two options at CB in Viator and Robinson that haven't been given an opportunity yet (at CB in Viator's case). Perhaps you are correct, but it's premature to come to any conclusions regarding these players. At LB, Morgan, Yourassowsky, and Borman have all proven to be reasonable options at times this season, it's just a matter of one of them finding consistency.

In any case, I hope neither Iro or Harden see the pitch on Saturday. It's time to give others a chance to prove themselves.

ManUtd4ever
08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Martina sure, Soolsma is still around and still useful.
Whens Griffit supposed to be healthy?

Griffit should be eligible to play because he is now officially off the injured reserve list. My guess is he will come on as a late sub on the wings.

ag futbol
08-08-2011, 12:04 PM
The thing I'll be watching for this game: tactical adjustments by management.

You have to know when you're the worse squad and adjust accordingly. Even Barcelona makes adjustments to the way they play depending on the quality of their opposition. We can't just hold to this idea that we're going to play 4-3-3 and that's it.

I want to see two midfielders spending a lot of time shielding the backline and fullbacks that are pragmatic about going forward. I also want to see everyone track back and defend on occasion with the exception of Koevermans.

We only lost to FCD by a goal and they are playing just as well as RSL this year. I'll take the visitors by a goal making it 3-2 on a late winner, but TFC playing a competitive game.

Yohan
08-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I think more like 2-0 RSL who just spanked NYRB 3-0 in previous game.

RSL is lacking a bit of depth up front but their mid is quite deep and I expect RSL to win the midfield battle and take it to shambles of TFC defence.

If I was Winter I'd play 4-5-1 to choke out RSL midfield

Roogsy
08-08-2011, 12:27 PM
After a few weeks of playing together, I think the team will generate a result out of this being that they are playing at home.

We show we can score and can't defend so a 2-2 result is my guess.

TFCRegina
08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, high scoring draw seems reasonable.

Whoop
08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Another draw will be likely.

Auzzy
08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm afraid we're going to get spanked in front of a full house at BMO, followed by a good-sized board meltdown. However, I won't mind being positively surprised.

mdc 77
08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm afraid we're going to get spanked in front of a full house at BMO, followed by a good-sized board meltdown. However, I won't mind being positively surprised.

So you are going out on a limb and saying it will be just like 90% of our home games this year. :D

ManUtd4ever
08-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Ye of little faith. :D

I will go out on a limb and suggest that the days of TFC getting embarassed on their own pitch are over. Regardless of the result, I predict it will be a close, hard fought match.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Ye of little faith. :D

I will go out on a limb and suggest that the days of TFC getting embarassed on their own pitch are over. Regardless of the result, I predict it will be a close, hard fought match.

I dont think this is that out of order, its more or less what we've seen from our team over the span of the last 4-5 games and what we will continue to see, in fact we will prob continue to progress as players begin to understand each other. Of course our defense still needs a shit ton of work.

ryan
08-08-2011, 03:01 PM
As mentioned in today's news thread, this game sold out a lil while ago. Should be a good crowd...............of tourists.

Anywho, TFC shocks the RPB and wins the match. Who cares what the score will be, they'll just win.

jloome
08-08-2011, 07:00 PM
RSL has zooming confidence. If they come in a bit tired, maybe we scratch a 1-0 win or a 2-0 win. Otherwise, 1-1 or 2-1 RSL. Olave is a beast and will easily be the toughest CB Koevermans has gone up against here.

Maybe they'll overkey on him though, open up some space for Avila from the hole.

I think we're at the point where a lot of games in this league could go either way, save for a few boners from the usual suspects. This late in the season, overall league parity becomes much more of an issue.

rocker
08-08-2011, 07:27 PM
TFC has been rarely blown out at home this year (only 2 of 12 league games could be classified as such, and they were back in April and May), so I seriously doubt RSL will blow out TFC. Dallas only scratched out a 1-0 win at BMO against the "new look" TFC and Dallas is a better team than RSL right now. Most league games at BMO have been exceedingly close this season. RSL's biggest road win was 2-0 against New England. Where RSL is dominant is at home, at the high altitude.

Flint
08-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Ill predict another high-scoring game as well. Something like 2-2, 3-2, 3-3 with the 3-2 game going either way. We will put up a good effort.

nickio
08-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I just don't see a side with rested Frings and closer to in-shape Koevermans get dominated.

I think if one of our CBs begins to have a meltdown, Frings will personally strap them to his back and continue to scare off RSL attacks.

Also, I know most will disagree, but JDG and Frings will form a good experienced DMs for this upcoming game, with JDG being the Dynamic link in the middle.

Some other thoughts:

-Use Plata as a super Sub, it would be going a bit far to start him again, considering he is still very young
-Viator looked poor in the Reserves Highlights
-Yourass looked horrible for the reserves out of the little that I've seen

MarkoftheDrink
08-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Griffit should be eligible to play because he is now officially off the injured reserve list. My guess is he will come on as a late sub on the wings.

Really? I thought he wasn't available until the Dallas game on Aug. the 24th.

Columbus put him on IR on July 13th, he was traded on the 15th, six league games later is Aug. 24th as far as I can tell.

habstfc
08-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Is Yourass injured?

Broadview
08-09-2011, 03:46 AM
He played in the reserve game vs DC so I doubt it.

J .
08-09-2011, 04:47 AM
TFC wins 2-1.

Why? Just because I want to believe, but I dont, so a win would be nice. Odds should call for a large RSL victory, but it would be nice to lay a beating on RSL for once.

Fort York Redcoat
08-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Iro vs diving twatness of Saborio is another PK waiting to happen

For this reason I see Salt Lake getting 2.

I think we will be desperate to go forward.

Toronto 3-2

ManUtd4ever
08-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Really? I thought he wasn't available until the Dallas game on Aug. the 24th.

Columbus put him on IR on July 13th, he was traded on the 15th, six league games later is Aug. 24th as far as I can tell.

I thought it was four league matches, in which case he would be available now.

maninb
08-09-2011, 09:12 AM
RSL gives up 0.75 goals per game...so we'll be VERY VERY lucky to get ONE GOAL, so with our defence I think the best result be be a 1-1 all draw...but unfortunately it'll be 3-1...imo...

Oldtimer
08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
RSL gives up 0.75 goals per game...so we'll be VERY VERY lucky to get ONE GOAL, so with our defence I think the best result be be a 1-1 all draw...but unfortunately it'll be 3-1...imo...

That stat includes their home games at altitude, which include a lot of clean sheets. While still a good team on the road, they are less impressive.

I'll say a 1-1 tie.

rocker
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM

I don't think you have to worry about 3 goals for RSL.

This season, RSL only scores a measly 0.5 goals per game on the road. TFC gives up 1.33 per game at home. RSL gives up 0.875 per game on the road).

As your more logical first prediction goes, 1-1 is likely.

actually, RSL's home-road split is crazy... they score 2.0 per game and give up 0.83 at home.... so they score 400% more at home than on the road, but their defensive performance is about the same home/road.

zamperina
08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
From an RSL poster on bigsoccer...Everyone better BRING IT on saturday!

The nice thing about TFC sucking is that we don't have to worry about their insane fans. I think they played a large part in our struggles there when they first came in the league. We seemed to lose focus near the ends of the pitch (read goals, both offensively and defensively) when they had the billions of streamers and such pouring down on us.

Upon further research, we have never won at TFC. We've tied them 3 times and lost 2 times, but never won at BMO. Lets change that.

MarkoftheDrink
08-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I thought it was four league matches, in which case he would be available now.

(L) SHORT-TERM INJURY REPLACEMENTS

A team with a player who has a short-term injury can replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the short-term injured reserve list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). Note that the injured player will have to sit out a minimum of six MLS League matches before he can rejoin the team’s roster. International player limits still apply at the time a short-term replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

That's what I'm going off of.

Derko
08-09-2011, 02:04 PM

The nice thing about TFC sucking is that we don't have to worry about their insane fans. I think they played a large part in our struggles there when they first came in the league. We seemed to lose focus near the ends of the pitch (read goals, both offensively and defensively) when they had the billions of streamers and such pouring down on us.

Upon further research, we have never won at TFC. We've tied them 3 times and lost 2 times, but never won at BMO. Lets change that.

Well I will be at the Fergus Highland Games all day so I will be in top form when I get down to BMO, I sure hope the fence sitters get up and make some noise. :flare::drinking::scarf::drum::scarf::flare::drink ing:

__wowza
08-09-2011, 03:14 PM

id just like to take this moment to reflect on the streamers.

the streamers were, in my mind, one of the things that defined us in the early years. back in the day, some of the board argued that they were getting old, but then the league took them away from us and all of a sudden it was like "well look! TFC supporters have lost their edge! they stopped throwing streamers cause their team sucks". it really brings a tear to my barf.

but we're still here. still loud. and im calling this one a late 2-1 win from a goal in the '87th.

ManUtd4ever
08-09-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

That's what I'm going off of.

Correct, but if I'm not mistaken, Griffit had already sat out 2 matches on injured reserve with Columbus prior to the trade, which would equal a total of 6 matches at this point. I guess we'll find out shortly.

Yohan
08-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Correct, but if I'm not mistaken, Griffit had already sat out 2 matches on injured reserve with Columbus prior to the trade, which would equal a total of 6 matches at this point. I guess we'll find out shortly.
we don't even know if Griffit is anywhere near match fit yet...

habstfc
08-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I think RSL is as much over-rated as we are under-rated, especially with our new line-up. Playing at altitude is an extreme advantage for the home team. I am predicting we win 2-1 goals from koevermans and frings.

Yohan
08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I think RSL is as much over-rated as we are under-rated, especially with our new line-up. Playing at altitude is an extreme advantage for the home team. I am predicting we win 2-1 goals from koevermans and frings.
you really haven't seen RSL play... there's a reason why they went to CCL final. even without Javier Morales they stroke the ball around like it's nobody's business

nickio
08-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't think you have to worry about 3 goals for RSL.

This season, RSL only scores a measly 0.5 goals per game on the road. TFC gives up 1.33 per game at home. RSL gives up 0.875 per game on the road).

As your more logical first prediction goes, 1-1 is likely.

actually, RSL's home-road split is crazy... they score 2.0 per game and give up 0.83 at home.... so they score 400% more at home than on the road, but their defensive performance is about the same home/road.

You have to remember that at least in recent history, TFC is the team that slumping players emerge against and statistics get corrected. They're a struggling away team that suddenly, after playing TFC, will break that pattern...

Hope not, of course.

habstfc
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
you really haven't seen RSL play... there's a reason why they went to CCL final. even without Javier Morales they stroke the ball around like it's nobody's business

I am not saying they are not good, just overrated, there's a difference.

rocker
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
You have to remember that at least in recent history, TFC is the team that slumping players emerge against and statistics get corrected. They're a struggling away team that suddenly, after playing TFC, will break that pattern... Hope not, of course.

But that's on the road where TFC makes struggling teams look good. Not at home though.

If TFC was playing RSL at altitude in Rio Tinto, I'd agree with you. RSL kicks ass at home and is mediocre on the road. TFC plays mostly low-scoring games and doesn't get blown out often at home this season.

RSL are a good team but not a great team on the road, and BMO Field has not been a place for blowouts this season. Just stating the facts.
Also, until that 3-0 home win against NYRB, Kreis was calling out his own team, so they've had their struggles since the hangover from the CONCACAF champions league. Their field general, the dirty hippy, is also playing for USA on Wednesday, so that probably means he won't be playing 90 on Saturday.

That's why I'm calling for a low scoring game that could turn on a single play. We'll see.

MarkoftheDrink
08-10-2011, 12:20 AM

The Crew placed midfielder Leandre Griffit (abdomen) on the injured reserve list. He will miss at least four games. ..

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2011/07/13/0713-crew-notebook.html

Just found that, lol, the article is dated July 13th. If it's wrong then the six games will be up for the FCD game. He was traded before Columbus played another game. Who knows, MLS rules are fucked.

maninb
08-10-2011, 01:03 PM
"and BMO Field has not been a place for blowouts this season. Just stating the facts"??? LOL!

We've been blow out at least twice at home as I recall...by Philly and DC

rocker
08-10-2011, 02:00 PM
"and BMO Field has not been a place for blowouts this season. Just stating the facts"??? LOL!

We've been blow out at least twice at home as I recall...by Philly and DC

Go back and read my multiple messages in this thread before pulling out the LOLs.

BMO Field isn't a place for blowouts (meaning not often), I said, after saying it doesn't happen "often" and stating that we've only been blown out twice in 12 league games at home, and listing both the Philly and DC games in my messages. So yeah, I already knew that and posted it, but thanks for clearing things up :picard:
Fact: TFC have played mostly close games and have rarely been blown out at home.

Just for handy reference, here is all the home games in all competitions, not just league, this year, and I've placed asterisks next to the blowouts. I count 2. So yeah, it's unlikely RSL will blow out TFC at BMO if you look at history.

2-0 win
1-1 tie
0-0 tie
0-3 loss*
1-1 tie
1-0 win
2-1 win
2-2 tie
2-6 loss*
0-0 tie
0-1 loss
1-0 win
2-1 win
0-1 loss
2-1 win

DangerRed
08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
TFC plays mostly low-scoring games and doesn't get blown out often at home this season.

I don't often get blown out at home, but when I do...

April 16, 2011Toronto FC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC)0 – 3D.C. United (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.C._United)

May 28, 2011Toronto FC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC)2 – 6Philadelphia Union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Union)

Stay hopeful, my friends.

In all seriousness, this has the possibility to become blowout no. 3. I'd rather see that and shake my head than have TFC take a two-goal lead and squander it, like they did against Chicago.

DaBandit
08-10-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd liked to see Dunfield in the starting 11 instead of JDG.. I'm not ready to included JDG in the starting 11 based on 30 mins of good footie..

The lineup i'd like to see for Saturday..
Frei
Eck, Robinson, Iro, yourass
Dunfield, Frings
Soolsma Avilla Johnson
Koov

Plata as a 2nd half sub, as I would rest him a bit for the game on thursday which is a MUCH more important game..

PS. 2-1 RSL, but i hope i'm wrong..

Greatest Ripoff
08-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Stay hopeful, my friends.

This is football, a sport where 99% of teams never win a single thing. Without hope, there isn't really anything else.

Derko
08-10-2011, 04:51 PM
TFC 2-0 I'ts about time Frei had another clean sheet and the Defenders and Midfield will be on top form.

rocktml
08-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Full house? Doubt that

Auzzy
08-10-2011, 09:25 PM

As mentioned in today's news thread, this game sold out a lil while ago. Should be a good crowd...............of tourists.

Anywho, TFC shocks the RPB and wins the match. Who cares what the score will be, they'll just win.

Full house? Doubt that

Well, about the most full it's been all season, similar to the LA game. No pairs of tickets available on Ticketmaster at any price; only a few single seats remain. Of course, how many SSH's actually show up also depends on the weather. The weather report has mostly cleared up for Saturday, but we shall see.

Yohan
08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Well, about the most full it's been all season, similar to the LA game. No pairs of tickets available on Ticketmaster at any price; only a few single seats remain. Of course, how many SSH's actually show up also depends on the weather. The weather report has mostly cleared up for Saturday, but we shall see.
never trust Canadian weathermen. those dum dums can't even get 24hr forecast right most of the time:facepalm:

menefreghista
08-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Well, about the most full it's been all season, similar to the LA game. No pairs of tickets available on Ticketmaster at any price;

I wonder if its really sold out.

Its possible Ticketmaster has no tickets, but those dump sites like Travelzoo do.

Auzzy
08-10-2011, 11:47 PM
^ I dunno, the previous games where there was stuff available on Travelzoo, there were still a big bunch of tickets available on Ticketmaster as well. Probably not completely sold out, but more than most this season. Perhaps the CNE gets a few more people down there as well.

I checked Perkopolis (employee discount/affinity program): game is also sold out there.

We shall see.

jloome
08-11-2011, 12:08 AM
This is football, a sport where 99% of teams never win a single thing. Without hope, there isn't really anything else.

LOL, Well said man, well said!

dantdot
08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UgMFX.jpg

Super Frei passes Jimmy B this game with the most appearances in all competitions with 94. Hope you guys have something planned for 100.

Carts
08-11-2011, 02:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UgMFX.jpg

Super Frei passes Jimmy B this game with the most appearances in all competitions with 94. Hope you guys have something planned for 100.

We're gonna sing '99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall' the entire match! :drinking:

:D

Pigfynn
08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
This is football, a sport where 99% of teams never win a single thing. Without hope, there isn't really anything else

LOL, Well said man, well said!

But wait, It's been 5 years man! FIVE YEARS! that's long enough. hahahaha

People should think about being a supporter of any soccer club in the world other than the top five in each league and think those supporters have a 0% chance of winning anything ever. MLS/TFC is fresh start for many who will never see their home club win a thing.

Yohan
08-11-2011, 09:54 PM
apparently the dirty hippy played 90mins on wed's friendly. too bad he also didn't get a haircut

Dunfield and JDG also listed as questionable? I really hope Winter isn't playing guys when they are not 100%

KGH
08-11-2011, 10:01 PM
apparently the dirty hippy played 90mins on wed's friendly. too bad he also didn't get a haircut

Dunfield and JDG also listed as questionable? I really hope Winter isn't playing guys when they are not 100%

From Tuesday:

TORONTO FC -- OUT: MF Elbekay Bouchiba (R knee surgery recovery); DF Adrian Cann (R knee surgery recovery); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); MF Leandre Griffit (abdominal strain); QUESTIONABLE: MF Julian de Guzman (L knee swelling); MF Terry Dunfield (R adductor strain); MF Nathan Sturgis (L gluteus strain); MF Gianluca Zavarise (L hamstring tightness); DF Eddy Viator (L hamstring tightness); PROBABLE: FW Ryan Johnson (ankle sprain)

I imagine when it gets updated tomorrow some of those names will drop down a status ie johnson

jloome
08-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Hate the dirty hippy. Love the drake. Hate the dirty hippy.

maninb
08-12-2011, 07:43 AM
How the fuck is Dunfield hurt again? The guy is made of glass!!!!

KGH
08-12-2011, 08:27 AM
How the fuck is Dunfield hurt again? The guy is made of glass!!!!

I'm pretty sure it's the same injury they just haven't taken him off the list.

KGH
08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Interesting...No Frei tomorrow and looks like koov might be coming off the bench

bgnewf
08-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Mark Kadlecik is the referee in charge of the game tomorrow. He reffed two games this season involving TFC, the 2-2 draw in LA with that great late goal from Gordon and the 3-0 home defeat to DC United. Those are the only two games he has reffed involving us.

This is the wanker that red carded Harden in that DC match and refused to give any punishment to that arrogant twat Charlie Davies when he came over and baited us.

A.J
08-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Interesting...No Frei tomorrow and looks like koov might be coming off the bench

Why no Frei??

Yohan
08-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Why no Frei??
slight knock to the knees

Super
08-12-2011, 06:32 PM
But wait, It's been 5 years man! FIVE YEARS! that's long enough. hahahaha

People should think about being a supporter of any soccer club in the world other than the top five in each league and think those supporters have a 0% chance of winning anything ever. MLS/TFC is fresh start for many who will never see their home club win a thing.

Sure, if we compare ourselves to other leagues, but the MLS is not setup in the same way. We have a salary cap, parity, and all it takes is to be in the top 60% or so, and you're good to go into the play-offs. I believe our disappointment is extremely valid considering the fact that we're setting negative record after record: longest stretch without making the play-offs, worst new franchise team, longest stretch with no goal, etc., etc.. Compared to every other club in the league, with the exact same means, we've sucked it up worse than anyone. We shouldn't just accept that, shrug, and go "that's football".

Also, this is not about winning every year. I just want the club to be properly managed and at least make a proper run for the play-offs once in a while. Any club, no matter the league, that is delivering a product that's wellllllll below where it should be (according to everybody) will see similar wrath - if not worse.

DangerRed
08-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Sure, if we compare ourselves to other leagues, but the MLS is not setup in the same way. We have a salary cap, parity, and all it takes is to be in the top 60% or so, and you're good to go into the play-offs. I believe our disappointment is extremely valid considering the fact that we're setting negative record after record: longest stretch without making the play-offs, worst new franchise team, longest stretch with no goal, etc., etc.. Compared to every other club in the league, with the exact same means, we've sucked it up worse than anyone. We shouldn't just accept that, shrug, and go "that's football".

Also, this is not about winning every year. I just want the club to be properly managed and at least make a proper run for the play-offs once in a while. Any club, no matter the league, that is delivering a product that's wellllllll below where it should be (according to everybody) will see similar wrath - if not worse.

Completely true. But don't say it too loudly or you'll get accused of being too negative. Apparently to most of the people on the other side of this argument, being hopeful is equal to never EVER saying a single word of criticism about the team, its players, staff, front office and record.

Being a supporter doesn't mean being a booster. But hey, that's just me.

LittleOzzy
08-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Is Frei really injured or are they just saving him for CCL play?

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Thank goodness for the NCC and the CCL, or we would have had absolutely nothing to cheer for since the inception of the franchise. Hopefully, the drought in MLS will finally end next season.

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Is Frei really injured or are they just saving him for CCL play?

There is an article on TFC's website, so I'm sure it's legit.

KGH
08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
From today:

TORONTO FC -- OUT: MF Elbekay Bouchiba (R knee surgery recovery); DF Adrian Cann (R knee surgery recovery); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); MF Leandre Griffit (abdominal strain); QUESTIONABLE: MF Gianluca Zavarise (L hamstring tightness); DF Eddy Viator (L hamstring tightness); PROBABLE: FW Ryan Johnson (ankle sprain); GK Stefan Frei (knee contusion)

Looks like JDG and Dunfield are good to go.

Redcoe15
08-12-2011, 07:19 PM
I just wanna say I'll be at the game on Saturday sitting in the supporters section.

I'll be the tall one wearing my authentic short sleeve TFC jersey with my username and number on the back and a couple of scarves around my neck.

I am excited for this game! :scarf: :D

Stryker
08-12-2011, 07:27 PM
TORONTO FC -- OUT: MF Elbekay Bouchiba (R knee surgery recovery); DF Adrian Cann (R knee surgery recovery); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery)
Wonder if the surgeon gave the team a group rate?

:picard:

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2011, 07:29 PM
REAL SALT LAKE — OUT: MF Nelson Gonz·lez (R foot fracture); MF Ned Grabavoy (L adductor strain); MF Javier Morales (L ankle fracture dislocation); DOUBTFUL: DF Jamison Olave (L knee MCL strain); PROBABLE: MF Jean Alexandre (R knee internal pain); GK Nick Rimando (R wrist pain); FW Álvaro Saborio (R knee swelling)

MarkoftheDrink
08-12-2011, 07:31 PM
-------------Kocic-----------

Eckersley-Henry--Iro--Morgan

-------Frings---Dunfield (45' JDG)

--------------Avila--------------

Soolsma(60' Plata)-----Johnson

------------Koef----------

Bench:
JDG
Plata
Marosevic
Stinson
Frei
Robinson

Dunfield and JDG don't seem like they're ready to play a full 90' so they get to split it with Dunfield getting the task of softening the opponent up a bit for JDG in the second half.

Soolsma does well holding up the ball on the wing and getting decent crosses off to the big men. After their LB has his legs worn down a bit put in Plata.

If Johnson isn't fully fit put in Marosevic.

Iro needs to play this game and he needs to play well. I hope he's in better shape and well rested because if he shits the bed again he'll be playing for the reserves. He's in desperate need of some ballet lessons, his footwork is atrocious. The team D shouldn't leave him out to dry as much this game with the rest we've had so hopefully the back line won't be as exposed.

2-1 the good guys.

moralis
08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi guys,

Gareth Wheeler is doing the colour commentary for RSL during TFC-RSL game:

gareth_wheeler (https://twitter.com/#%21/gareth_wheeler) Gareth Wheeler

Happy to be doing the colour tomorrow for the @RealSaltLake (http://twitter.com/RealSaltLake) broadcast of #RSL (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23RSL) and #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TorontoFC) #MLS (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23MLS)

1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/#%21/gareth_wheeler/status/102153343236968449)

What do you guys think?

Red CB Toronto
08-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I wonder who the backup GK will be, according to the salary data that was released on May 1 of this year there currently only two players in the GK pool, Kevin Guppy who dressed for one game in 2009 with the Reds and former KC Wizard Chris Konopka who most recently was playing in Ireland.

dantdot
08-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi guys,

Happy to be doing the colour tomorrow for the @RealSaltLake (http://twitter.com/RealSaltLake) broadcast of #RSL (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23RSL) and #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TorontoFC) #MLS (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23MLS)

What do you guys think?

I think I feel the need to preemptively apologize to RSL fans.

ag futbol
08-12-2011, 10:18 PM
What do you guys think?
About watching the game on mute? Could be nice for a change.

123 elite
08-12-2011, 11:02 PM
i reckon 3-0 RSL. In line with the rest of our performances. And meltdown on the board as per usual. I think i'll drink heavily at MLSE prices though because its saturday, we're shit and its warm. So lose win mlse then.

TFCREDNWHITE
08-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Hi guys,

What do you guys think?

Hahaha..wheeler, what a loser that guy is!

DichioTFC
08-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Odds for the game courtesty of Will Hill - http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/2242855/Toronto-FC-v-Real-Salt-Lake.html

Match Betting
TFC - 3.00 Draw - 3.25 RSL - 2.20

Over / Under
Over 3.5 - 3.75
Over 4.5 - 7.50!!!!

Specials
TFC to score both halves - 4.33

TFC win and over 2.5 goals - 4.75
Draw and over 2.5 goals - 11.00!!!!!!!!!

Come from behind and win: TFC - 12.00, RSL - 9.50
Come from behind and draw: 8.50 (both)

Correct Score
3-2 TFC - 201.00!!!!!!!!!
2-2 draw - 81.00

Putting money down in 3....2...1...

Couchy81
08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
3-2 TFC - 201.00!!!!!!!!!

Putting money down in 3....2...1...

lol that actually is really tempting, what were they thinking? TFC has been scoring like crazy lately yet letting in goals. Its entirely possible we win 3-2. 201.00 is ridiculous.

King Jeff
08-13-2011, 09:16 AM
2-2 draw - 81.00

Insane. Too bad Will Hill doesn't accept Canadian credit cards anymore.

*edit* I just looked online and the odds are now 16/1...

DichioTFC
08-13-2011, 11:35 AM
are you sure Will Hill doesn't accept Canadian CCs? I've never had a problem while in Canada (my account is temporarily restricted because I tried to log in while in the US, which apparently is against their rules and American law - who knew?)

TFC*FAN
08-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Have a pair of tix for the game tonight in 111. $20 each. Let me know if interested!

billyfly
08-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Have a pair of tix for the game tonight in 111. $20 each. Let me know if interested!

Did you post here as well?

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=26649&page=5

DangerRed
08-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Man, been a while since we've seen the boys at home. Super pumped to be back at BMO tonight, even though I think we're in for a lashing. Go Reds!!

:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

TFC*FAN
08-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I was going to but got rid of them in the interim, thanks!

ManUtd4ever
08-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I just want to see a well played match, without any glaring errors on the backline or terrible calls by the officials influencing the outcome.

Is that too much to ask?

TorontoGooner
08-13-2011, 01:00 PM
I just want to see a well played match, without any glaring errors on the backline or terrible calls by the officials influencing the outcome.

Is that too much to ask?

Haha. Yes mate

JonO
08-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately, yes it is...

MarkoftheDrink
08-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Possible RSL lineup:

-------------Rimando---------------
Russel--Borchers--Schuler---Wingert
Williams--Gil----Beckerman--Johnson
--------Saborio--Espindola---------

If Beckerman isn't playing put in Alexandre.

If Beckerman is playing he's the engine of this team. He gets the attack moving by distributing to space on the wings. If Johnson gets the ball look for him to go accross the pitch to switch up play when he gets closed down. Whoever is playing on the left for us is going to need to look for these passes or we will end up running all over and full of holes and that's when Saborio and Espindola show up and go to work. Their wings are also fairly active so that will be something else to look out for. In the end we need to pressure Beckerman and not allow him the time and space to pick out his wide players esp. Johnson.

MarkoftheDrink
08-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Also look for RSL to apply lots of high pressure. Fear Iro's touch.

boban
08-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Nobody prematching anymore?
No one is pumped for this game?

LittleOzzy
08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I always hate seeing Vancouver on national TV when Toronto isn't. MLSE really knows how to grow a brand... what a joke, no wonder the fan base is shrinking.

[NBF]
08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I always hate seeing Vancouver on national TV when Toronto isn't. MLSE really knows how to grow a brand... what a joke, no wonder the fan base is shrinking.

That has nothing to do with a record of 3 big wins and 11 bigger losses with a marginal 11 ties.

If anyone knows, how many players on RSL have "DP" status? If you guess right I will offer you tickets to next years RSL Vs TFC match.

ginkster88
08-13-2011, 05:18 PM
^It's zero.

Yohan
08-13-2011, 05:22 PM
^It's zero.

Technically 1. Alvaro saborio but only due to his transfer fee. Hes on 250k or something like that

[NBF]
08-13-2011, 05:27 PM
^It's zero.

Wow nice, now I can honestly give my prediction for todays match:

RSL 6-0 TF-cee:

*1 goal by RSL for having DP Koevermans.
*1 goal by RSL for having DP DeGuzman.
*1 goal by RSL for having DP Frings.
*1 goal by RSL for having Iro in the backline.
*1 goal by RSL for having Kosic in the lineup.
*1 goal by RSL for going down a man.

andyc
08-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Any live streams for this? I'm out of town this weekend...

Thanks

dantdot
08-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Lineup: Kocic; Eckersley, Iro, Frings, Borman; de Guzman, Stinson, Avila; Plata, Koevermans, Marosevic

andyc
08-13-2011, 05:36 PM
just found one....

http://www.freefootball.org/events/20110814_0000_Toronto_FC_v_Real_Salt_Lake.html

shutupkid
08-13-2011, 05:38 PM
is there a live stream for the game?

mclaren
08-13-2011, 05:46 PM
is there a live stream for the game?

Here you go son: http://www.sports-billet.eu/channel2.html

jmorgs88
08-13-2011, 05:51 PM
thank you

manic.street.preacher
08-13-2011, 05:52 PM
thanks for the link, mr mclaren :)

Island Man
08-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Here you go son: http://www.sports-billet.eu/channel2.html

Cheers fella.

LesH
08-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Game thread is open:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29256

rocker
08-13-2011, 10:43 PM
i reckon 3-0 RSL. In line with the rest of our performances.

Nice prediction job, Nostradamus.