PDA

View Full Version : HSH Bar Closed By City of Columbus

MarkoftheDrink
08-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Sucks to live in Columbus.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1796735

“@smitchcd: Tough break for Hudson Street Hooligans today: Their club's cert. of occupancy has been revoked and order to vacate issued by city. #Crew96”

“@smitchcd: The HSH Hooligans Club was cited for building use violations by the city. **Their building is designated as mercantile/residential... #Crew96”

“@smitchcd: ...but is being used as "assembly." This was news to Hooligans brass, who thought they were in compliance with all use requirements. #Crew96”

“@smitchcd: City cited HSH for "unsafe conditions" related to a building designated for "assembly." HSH might have to spend as much as ... #Crew96”

“@smitchcd: ...$50,000 on improvements (ADA compliance, outswinging front door, fire protection improvement, parking, etc.). **HSH **brass .... #Crew96”

“@smitchcd: ...said they are willing to comply but need to be able to remain open to maintain revenues. Also wondering why cited now after... #Crew96”

“@smitchcd: ...club has been open for more than a year with no problems. Said inspector's insinuation that they have "gotten away" with something....”

“@smitchcd: ...is interesting given all the media coverage of their private club dedicated to supporting #Crew96.”

“@smitchcd: Sorry for Twitter barrage. Dispatch.com is currently down, temporarily no ability to post stories or access to blogs.”

“@smitchcd: Hooligans said they have support of **#Crew96 GM Mark McCullers, who is expected to meet with them and media at club on Thursday.”

“@smitchcd: Hooligans shutdown part of trend in increase in city enforcement relating to small business: Gay Street, Pearl Market, etc. #Crew96”

“@smitchcd: HSH brass said they will make every effort to re-open doors ASAP and comply with city. #Crew96”

“@smitchcd: Also, HSH brass said they are unsure why building use official visited last Thursday. #Crew96”

Where's the Tea Party when you need em, eh?

werewolf
08-04-2011, 12:23 AM
-QdDXZ82_Zw

BC101
08-04-2011, 12:26 AM
-QdDXZ82_Zw

Approved.

J .
08-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Any other team other than the crew I would feel bad for them.

TorontoGooner
08-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Hahaha.

'Hooligans'. Now all 3 of them can drink on someone's front porch.

Wagner
08-04-2011, 05:47 AM
As much as I dislike Columbus, and the crew, it's disappointing that a fellow MLS supporter group is going through tough times.

Having met some of their leadership at the MLS Cup events & Supporters' Summit events, they aren't bad guys.

zeelaw
08-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Found this as well

http://pitchfest.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/hudson-street-hooligans-pub-certificate-of-occupancy-revoked/

Last Thursday, July 28th, The Hudson Street Hooligans Pub had it’s Certificate of Occupancy revoked after a City of Columbus inspection. The reason for the revocation, as stated by the city inspector, is that the building housing Hooligan’s Pub is zoned for “mercantile use” and the Hudson Street Hooligans are using it for “assembly.”

The City of Columbus claims that in order to maintain occupancy, the pub must go through the proper legal channels to get the building rezoned for that use. Ownership has been told to cease any operations that fall under that use group and if they continue to operate they will receive fines and face jail time.

A building official and inspectors met with Hooligan’s ownership last Friday and advised that the main issue was the safety of the patrons of the pub. Ownership agreed that safety is always a concern and stated that they are willing to work with the City but cannot afford to continue to be closed while coming into compliance.

Jon Winland, an owning partner of the club, says “We are more than willing to make the changes demanded by the city in order to remain compliant. We can make the small changes, but the big ones are just unrealistic at this point.” The estimated cost of the renovations required by the city is in the tens of thousands of dollars.

The pub – a small, members only establishment – makes most of it’s revenue on Columbus Crew game days. It is the first, and only, Major League Soccer supporters-owned pub in the country and a model for other businesses throughout American Soccer.

Another owning partner Grant Thurmond – a veteran of the Iraq war – says that they only want to stay open so that the renovation can be paid for and the community can continue to be served. Thurmond is in charge of many of HSH’s community programs, and is currently organizing a neighborhood cleanup and a nearby Adopt-a-Highway cleanup effort. “Hooligan’s,” he says, “is about more than just soccer, it’s about making this part of our city a better place.”

What is most worrisome to Hooligan’s ownership about this situation is that the city has come down on them swiftly, without giving many options. “As a business we cannot afford to operate much longer without figuring out a way to be open,” According to the Pub Administrator, Blake Compton. “If, by August 13th – the next Crew home game – we aren’t open, I fear we may end up closing the doors for good and the University District will lose a small business that has brought much positive to the community in the last year.”

“We encourage everyone to keep in mind that this is a use issue and not a zoning issue. Use has to do with the City of Columbus Building Code.”

The ownership of Hudson Street Hooligans hosted a meeting for all members last night, August 3rd, to both inform the membership of the setback and to enlist help from what was referred to as a “huge group of helping hands.” Also in attendance was a representative from the University Area Commission and other community leaders. Mark McCullers, General Manager of the Columbus Crew, though not in attendance at the meeting, has stated that HSH has his full support.

There is a rally planned at the pub, 2236 Summit Street, for 12 noon on Thursday August 4th to garner support for the pub and the surrounding community. Mark McCullers will be present to make a statement to the media, as will other community leaders. All are welcome to attend, regardless of HSH membership.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-04-2011, 07:39 AM
BWAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Fucking dicks

TOBOR !
08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Does it matter that owning partner Grant Thurmond is a 'veteran' of the Iraq war ? Unless the the writer is trying to cast the City of Columbus as acting in an 'un-American' fashion - or to perhaps incite patriotic support for the beset owners. Maybe they could find a couple of members who have disabilities, or are in some other way members of minorities.

http://godawful.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/think_of_the_children.jpg

Oldtimer
08-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Ownership has been told to cease any operations that fall under that use group and if they continue to operate they will receive fines and face jail time.They'll bring out the helicopters and taser-happy cops. :facepalm:

zeelaw
08-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Just reading those articles make me laugh at how absurd they actually have Hooligans in their name...

zeelaw
08-04-2011, 08:10 AM
I read some of the thread and I love how one poster feels this way

Gotta love big government.

lol I wonder if the Tea Party will back them?

and then reading there facebook group.. one member posted this

I can't make it. I have two Court hearings in Logan County today! Bring the pain HSH!

pfpfffttttttaahahaha

Carts
08-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Sucks to live in Columbus.

I didn't need them to shut down a bar to know this... :D

zeelaw
08-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Tonight on Glenn Beck!

I understand the need for zoning and building codes. What I don't like is some darn Brown Shirt goose stepping and telling the mere mortal business owners to "respect his authoritah!

MartinUtd
08-04-2011, 08:22 AM
LOL... couldn't happen to a more deserving lot of cunts

__wowza
08-04-2011, 08:23 AM
im all for jumping down the throats of columbus supporters and making jokes, but i for one fully support them on their fight here. whether you like it or not, in terms of the league, we're all in this together. like the article said, theyre the first and only supporters pub in the MLS, and ive followed the league long enough to know the struggle they had in setting it up.

hope this situation is resolved amicably, and if there's anything we can do to help, we should pitch in. i realize others might not feel that way, but i do. meh.

MartinUtd
08-04-2011, 08:31 AM
im all for jumping down the throats of columbus supporters and making jokes, but i for one fully support them on their fight here. whether you like it or not, in terms of the league, we're all in this together. like the article said, theyre the first and only supporters pub in the MLS, and ive followed the league long enough to know the struggle they had in setting it up.

hope this situation is resolved amicably, and if there's anything we can do to help, we should pitch in. i realize others might not feel that way, but i do. meh.

Complying with zoning laws is just general business practice. This has nothing to do with the league or supporters throughout.

Pigfynn
08-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Nice to see the city of Columbus trying to tidy up a bit.

Alas, it's like putting lipstick on as pig.

Brooker
08-04-2011, 08:53 AM

They broke a basic law. All they need to do is comply. If they can't afford it then they shouldn't have opened it in the first place.

Columbus wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire and I wouldn't waste one key stroke to support them in an issue as ridiculous as this.

ManUtd4ever
08-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Meh, how hard is it to assemble a group of 10 supporters? They can congregate in one of their mommy's basements now.

ryan
08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Dear Columbus, YSA's.

Detroit_TFC
08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm sure the city didn't give a shit until somebody important complained. Sounds like they are getting jerked around. I don't like any MLS supporters getting jerked around. I hope they get their situation resolved quickly so I don't have to hear about it anymore.

eustacchio
08-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Does it matter that owning partner Grant Thurmond is a 'veteran' of the Iraq war ? Unless the the writer is trying to cast the City of Columbus as acting in an 'un-American' fashion - or to perhaps incite patriotic support for the beset owners. Maybe they could find a couple of members who have disabilities, or are in some other way members of minorities.

http://godawful.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/think_of_the_children.jpg

Part of the problem is that they're not in compliance with ADA (Americans with Disablities Act).

s2cazz
08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm sure the city didn't give a shit until somebody important complained. Sounds like they are getting jerked around. I don't like any MLS supporters getting jerked around. I hope they get their situation resolved quickly so I don't have to hear about it anymore.

I doubt they are getting pushed around. Zoning laws exist for a reason. Everyone else has to comply, why shouldn't they.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

As for allowing them to stay open while the renovations occur, depends on what has to be done and what their attitude was towards the city.

But all in all....

http://static.tumblr.com/4ji0qsb/a39lfpraz/why-should-i-give-a-fuck.jpg

http://chzmemeafterdark.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/graph-jam-fucks-i-give.png

LOL

profit89
08-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Agreed.

TOBOR !
08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
^^^ So not only are they in violation of zoning regulations, but they don't have sufficient accessibility to individuals with certain requirements. But they're a private club, and unless they have a member who requires modifications to the building, is it an issue ? Unless such a member could have brought this to the authorities in the first place.

Either way, I still see no point in mentioning the owner's service record.

BFin
08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Wow, this must have been an American newspaper:

Another owning partner Grant Thurmond – a veteran of the Iraq war – says that they only want to stay open so that the renovation can be paid for and the community can continue to be served. Thurmond is in charge of many of HSH’s community programs, and is currently organizing a neighborhood cleanup and a nearby Adopt-a-Highway cleanup effort. “Hooligan’s,” he says, “is about more than just soccer, it’s about making this part of our city a better place.”

Kudos to all those who serve, but what does this have to do with anything?!

BFin
08-04-2011, 09:57 AM
^^^ So not only are they in violation of zoning regulations, but they don't have sufficient accessibility to individuals with certain requirements. But they're a private club, and unless they have a member who requires modifications to the building, is it an issue ? Unless such a member could have brought this to the authorities in the first place.

Either way, I still see no point in mentioning the owner's service record.

LOL beat me to it.

uncle p
08-04-2011, 10:06 AM
In this case the whole "I support other MLS supporters" can be thrown out the window. Regardless of ownership we are talking about a place where these dicks can get boozed up before a game. If their support for the crew should stumble because of this, than they dont deserve our support.....Does it suck? yeah, but i dont feel bad one bit for them

WestStandGeoff
08-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Yeah... I'm sure that card would have been played, except for the fact that their 'minorities' are the less-white guys.

MartinUtd
08-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah... I'm sure that card would have been played, except for the fact that their 'minorities' are the less-white guys.

Yeah no kidding. Does catholic count?

Suds
08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
So, they changing their to to Homeless Street Hooligans?

__wowza
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
They broke a basic law. All they need to do is comply. If they can't afford it then they shouldn't have opened it in the first place.

Columbus wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire and I wouldn't waste one key stroke to support them in an issue as ridiculous as this.

from a few of the guys i spoke with (yes, all columbus fans arent dickholes) the end result is simple: reopen soon or close down forever. zoning laws arent as cut and dry as youre making them out to be, they never are. the fact that youre bringing money into this when their goal is to provide supporters with a place to drink owned by other supporters, you're treating it like its joes. its not there to operate with a huge profit, and something tells me if it does survive, its going to survive from the pockets of every supporter who drinks there.

all im saying is have some fucking empathy.
talking with united fans about how mutually fucked up our FO's are outweighs the shit out of hearing "good, you deserve a price hike you fucking twats!" from an em city supporter.

what if this place was ours? not joes, owned by one of ours. if joes closed down, we'd find somewhere else to drink and not bat a lash. if it was yours, or jacks, or parkys, or armens, or pookies, you name it.. not one of us would have the gall to say "sorry buddy, you fucked up. you violated a zoing law and that's that, enjoy closing down. oh yeah! by the way, we're finding somewhere else to drink!". it's okay though, because its not us, its columbus.

do you realize how fucked up that sounds?

in the past ive advocated that no matter what, if theyre not at the match they're not my fucking enemy, and im staying true to that. im not saying we need to go all in on this, all im saying is that we offer them any semblance of our support, even if it's just us saying "differences aside, hope you're back on your feet soon".

sometimes all you have to do to have someones back is not kicking them when they're down.

WestStandGeoff
08-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah no kidding. Does catholic count?

That works, religious minority... how about familly of East German heritage instead of West German?

BFin
08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
all im saying is have some fucking empathy.
talking with united fans about how mutually fucked up our FO's are outweighs the shit out of hearing "good, you deserve a price hike you fucking twats!" from an em city supporter.

what if this place was ours? not joes, owned by one of ours. if joes closed down, we'd find somewhere else to drink and not bat a lash. if it was yours, or jacks, or parkys, or armens, or pookies, you name it.. not one of us would have the gall to say "sorry buddy, you fucked up. you violated a zoing law and that's that, enjoy closing down. oh yeah! by the way, we're finding somewhere else to drink!". it's okay though, because its not us, its columbus.

do you realize how fucked up that sounds?

If the place was ours, people would support whoever had the ruling come down against them. Being that this isn't ours and is the property of a supporters group that exudes douche and dis-respect...I completely understand why others wouldn't care.

s2cazz
08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
So, they changing their to to Homeless Street Hooligans?

2 stick idea!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I love the members only pub/supporter club idea......USEC has one...right?

One day RPB?

Alixir
08-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I feel sorry for the Columbus supporters....ahh who the fuck am I kidding lol sucks to be them wankers.

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/071/874/original/notasingle.jpg

Carts
08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
2 stick idea!

Absolutely! :)

Will we get it into Crew Stadium in September - no chance :(

s2cazz
08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Still not giving a fuck LOL

http://chzmemeafterdark.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/naughty-memes-dick-dale-like-a-boss.jpg

Parkdale
08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
meh..... part of me hates them because I hate their team....

but the part of me that hates bullshit bureaucracy feels bad for them having to fight against BS politicians.

London
08-04-2011, 12:36 PM

wanna bet:flare:

s2cazz
08-04-2011, 12:37 PM

Didn't they lift the banner and flag bullshit? Is that not why there is no more boycott?

Or am I missing something?

tfcleeds
08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
I might be more inclined to give a fuck if I thought that raggedy-ass fifth-rate city itself deserved a franchise in the first place.

Carts
08-04-2011, 12:40 PM
wanna bet:flare:

With you at the helm of the mission - I have complete faith it would get in to Crew Stadium!!!

:pbjtime:

Toronto_Bhoy
08-04-2011, 01:00 PM

As someone who runs a licensed supporters club, if you don't comply with the regulations, (zoning, laws, licenses, etc.) you can't have a pub devoted to your supporters/membership. And to be honest, its takes an outrageous amount of time, money and work to do so.

I feel for the guys who run this place. The "members" who just show up on game day have no idea. I know, Jack, Boris and Phil have spoken to me about it and I doubt we could do it, even with the RPB membership…servicing game day patrons just wouldn't work…it's not enough.

Not sure what all the hate is about? More supporters groups like this need to pop up on this side of the pond if there is going to be a significant shift in the North American football culture.

Personally, I admire their passion to attempt the cultural change.

uncle p
08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Not sure what all the hate is about? More supporters groups like this need to pop up on this side of the pond if there is going to be a significant shift in the North American football culture.

Im not sure on the history behind the bar or the HSH itself, but are we sure that some guys that owned a bar didnt just become HSH and offer up their business as a watering hole to the group?

Im having a hard time believing that some members of the HSH got the idea to open a members only bar AFTER joining the group. You know what I mean?

Im assuming the situation in question is no different than us at Joes or NEE at The Rhino, except that one of their members actually owns the bar. So I'm not so sure that they are trailblazing a cultural change

prizby
08-04-2011, 02:40 PM
made a few twitter comments using the #crew96 hashtag...seems like they have only two supporters total (those who replied to me)

MarkoftheDrink
08-04-2011, 03:15 PM
As someone who runs a licensed supporters club, if you don't comply with the regulations, (zoning, laws, licenses, etc.) you can't have a pub devoted to your supporters/membership. And to be honest, its takes an outrageous amount of time, money and work to do so.

I feel for the guys who run this place. The "members" who just show up on game day have no idea. I know, Jack, Boris and Phil have spoken to me about it and I doubt we could do it, even with the RPB membership…servicing game day patrons just wouldn't work…it's not enough.

Forgive my newness but if I were opening a bar checking the zoning of the location would be one of the first things I'd do. Doesn't seem like that would take an "outrageous" amount of time, but then again I have exactly zero experience in such things so correct me if I'm wrong.

And as far as the "hate" goes, TFC fans don't like Columbus, Columbus fans don't like TFC. Go to BS and you'll see most Crew fans will go out of their way to shit on TFC and Canada. Fuck the other side of the pond, if we're going to change the soccer culture over here I sure don't want to clone the soccer culture in europe. Canada needs to stop being a colony at some point, no?

BFin
08-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Couldn't you just have a lawyer look at the zoning laws? I would think any intelligent business/supporters money making venture would have some form of legal review.

TorontoGooner
08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I hope they're reading this. Then they can truly see how much we're laughing at them.

Mikey
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
That telephone call was the best two dollars I ever spent.....

Toronto_Bhoy
08-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Forgive my newness but if I were opening a bar checking the zoning of the location would be one of the first things I'd do. Doesn't seem like that would take an "outrageous" amount of time, but then again I have exactly zero experience in such things so correct me if I'm wrong.

And as far as the "hate" goes, TFC fans don't like Columbus, Columbus fans don't like TFC. Go to BS and you'll see most Crew fans will go out of their way to shit on TFC and Canada. Fuck the other side of the pond, if we're going to change the soccer culture over here I sure don't want to clone the soccer culture in europe. Canada needs to stop being a colony at some point, no?

Wow. Okay. I guess we'll put rule you down for a "no" on the RPB Bar & Grill.

Personally, I think it would be fantastic to have a dedicate TFC Club/Pub. I know the RPB executive who I've hosted absolutely loved the concept.

As far as the colony thing…maybe we should just stick to hockey, lacrosse and curling while we're at it?

:)

geordie77
08-04-2011, 08:08 PM
I was in Columbus for the game on the 26th vs Newcastle United & the Crew guys were fantastic. Everyone got on well even though I mentioned i was a TFC season ticket holder. we are footy fans regardless who we follow & should suppoert each other. the 4th Street Bar & grill was fantastic. The Crew tail gate was a blast. the bar has a great selection of beers from many local breweries & would wear my TFC shirt in the pub. its only abouut 15 minutes from the ground. cheers.

http://www.crewunion.com/index.php/match-day-info-topmenu-16/4th-street-bar-a-grill

james
08-04-2011, 09:46 PM
its pretty cool they actually have there own bar, wish we had our own place to drink. Wish every team had a supporters pub.

But the only thing that makes me not feel bad for them is the fact they actually have the name hooligans for the bar, hahahha, they sound like 10year old kids. Grow the fuck up and if you wanna be hooligans, at least dont copy your name after some shitty movie.

Keystone FC
08-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Couldn't you just have a lawyer look at the zoning laws? I would think any intelligent business/supporters money making venture would have some form of legal review.
I think it's more than that. From what I've read it also has to do with fire codes and how their building (which is pretty old apparently) is in bad need of fire proofing. The problem is that once they get into the refurbishing it's going to take alot of cash to to bring it up to standards. I kind of figured something like this would happen. After all if it took 12 years, TFC, and a stage to bring Crew supporters together you know they were in over their head in opening a clubhouse.

BFin
08-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I think it's more than that. From what I've read it also has to do with fire codes and how their building (which is pretty old apparently) is in bad need of fire proofing. The problem is that once they get into the refurbishing it's going to take alot of cash to to bring it up to standards. I kind of figured something like this would happen. After all if it took 12 years, TFC, and a stage to bring Crew supporters together you know they were in over their head in opening a clubhouse.

So they invested in a building that isn't zoned properly for the purpose they intended?

I will re-phrase my question. When buying a property to run a business, I would think that one would bring in an inspector before purchasing to determine what changes need to be made to bring it up to snuff, and how much it is going to cost? Seems like simple real-estate/small business stuff.

__wowza
08-05-2011, 08:58 AM
^^ from what ive heard, it wasnt a business, it wasnt a pub, it was a place to drink. the term "pub" and its popularity eventually lead to its closure. they didnt go into it thinking "hey! lets open a bar!" but now that its closed, theyre playing the "local bar" card because honestly.. who would give a shit on city council if they closed a "local matchday drinking spot".

BFin
08-05-2011, 09:14 AM
In Columbus? City Council needs all of the economic influx they can possibly get so I think they would be thankful for a successful establishment that could pay taxes.

So they sell beer to their supporters and other fans...but it's not a business? Perhaps their first problem was not researching the definition between business and 'house my friends can come drink at'. I don't see how this is any different from the social 'houses' that are set up during Oktoberfest. They aren't businesses, they are places to drink...but you can be damn sure the fire marshall will inspect them to ensure that they have all of the proper safety measures in place, a valid liquor license to sell alcohol, and that they are not breaking any laws.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-05-2011, 10:20 AM
its pretty cool they actually have there own bar, wish we had our own place to drink. Wish every team had a supporters pub.

Can you imagine having a place that was decked out in TFC colours, photos and jerseys. Where every time you walked in there you watch football on the TV and not UFC or college basketball. Where you can invite former players back for meet and greets. Host parties and fundraisers. Invite your friends to show off your team and game! A place where you only have to cater to your own…not Argo, Raptor or Leaf fans! Sure we could watch other sports and games but never at the expense of TFC!

I have that…and trust me…it's amazing!

London
08-05-2011, 10:27 AM
^^ and where is this world of yours??

MarkoftheDrink
08-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Wow. Okay. I guess we'll put rule you down for a "no" on the RPB Bar & Grill.

Personally, I think it would be fantastic to have a dedicate TFC Club/Pub. I know the RPB executive who I've hosted absolutely loved the concept.

As far as the colony thing…maybe we should just stick to hockey, lacrosse and curling while we're at it?

:)

No need to be glib. :)

I understand what you are saying, it would be awesome if the RPB had a supporters bar, but Europe does not have a monopoly on passionate soccer support. When you say "More supporters groups like this need to pop up on this side of the pond if there is going to be a significant shift in the North American football culture." you seem to be implying we should be emulating how Europeans support their teams or else. We need to get away from this kind of Eurocentric viewpoint if we want to create our own unique soccer culture in Canada and the US. I hardly think Chelsea's support compares to that of Boca Juniors and the like, even Mexicans seem to support their clubs quite well for North Americans IMO. There are great aspects from all over the world we can learn from and we don't be comparing ourselves with the EPL at every step.

Making a half assed attempt at opening up a gameday watering hole and calling yourselves hooligans is hardly going to change North American soccer culture for the better. So while I can see why you might "admire their passion to attempt the cultural change", they hardly seem like something to aspire to and I think you are giving them way too much credit. If the place burns down and someone dies because of code violations what is that going to do to for the culture? You say it is really hard to run a supports club, I wouldn't know, you're the one with experience. So I ask again is it that hard to sort out zoning or maybe even getting an inspector in BEFORE you open your doors?

Toronto_Bhoy
08-05-2011, 02:58 PM
No need to be glib. :)

I understand what you are saying, it would be awesome if the RPB had a supporters bar, but Europe does not have a monopoly on passionate soccer support. When you say "More supporters groups like this need to pop up on this side of the pond if there is going to be a significant shift in the North American football culture." you seem to be implying we should be emulating how Europeans support their teams or else. We need to get away from this kind of Eurocentric viewpoint if we want to create our own unique soccer culture in Canada and the US. I hardly think Chelsea's support compares to that of Boca Juniors and the like, even Mexicans seem to support their clubs quite well for North Americans IMO. There are great aspects from all over the world we can learn from and we don't be comparing ourselves with the EPL at every step.

Making a half assed attempt at opening up a gameday watering hole and calling yourselves hooligans is hardly going to change North American soccer culture for the better. So while I can see why you might "admire their passion to attempt the cultural change", they hardly seem like something to aspire to and I think you are giving them way too much credit. If the place burns down and someone dies because of code violations what is that going to do to for the culture? You say it is really hard to run a supports club, I wouldn't know, you're the one with experience. So I ask again is it that hard to sort out zoning or maybe even getting an inspector in BEFORE you open your doors?

Wow.

Detroit_TFC
08-05-2011, 03:26 PM
This thread is now 3 pages too long.

Fushida
08-05-2011, 05:01 PM
hahahahahahahaha

Cashcleaner
08-05-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd say for about .35 microseconds I actually felt kinda bad for them.

J .
08-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Can you imagine having a place that was decked out in TFC colours, photos and jerseys. Where every time you walked in there you watch football on the TV and not UFC or college basketball. Where you can invite former players back for meet and greets. Host parties and fundraisers. Invite your friends to show off your team and game! A place where you only have to cater to your own…not Argo, Raptor or Leaf fans! Sure we could watch other sports and games but never at the expense of TFC!

I have that…and trust me…it's amazing!

Preach on.

Amen.

edit: It should be for all supporters not just RPB :)

jazzy
08-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Complying with zoning laws is just general business practice. This has nothing to do with the league or supporters throughout.

don't get this, first thing anyone does when buying , starting, leasing an establishment is to check the zoning bylaws. I imagine the main obstacle is the fire infractions as that is the precedent...once people congregate in any premises, building code takes a back seat.,...they may have cut costs and important safety codes. Sounds amateurish,...or naive.

Detroit_TFC
08-05-2011, 08:17 PM
At risk of prolonging this discussion, I'd like to add that in KC the stadium has a supporters space with a separate entrance that is open early and late game day and open for viewing parties, special events, etc. It has a separate liquor license from the the rest of the stadium and has lower prices. That's a mighty nice arrangement.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
This thread is now 3 pages too long.

Your right…I'm out.

Keystone FC
08-06-2011, 04:14 AM
So they invested in a building that isn't zoned properly for the purpose they intended?

I will re-phrase my question. When buying a property to run a business, I would think that one would bring in an inspector before purchasing to determine what changes need to be made to bring it up to snuff, and how much it is going to cost? Seems like simple real-estate/small business stuff.
I think I have an answer for you....they are Crew fans.

Pookie
08-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Whether it be a TFC or Crew bar, how does one make a go of it when you are busy on 30 odd days out of 365?