PDA

View Full Version : The Maicon Santos Appreciation Thread

[NBF]
08-03-2011, 06:09 AM
We did it for Carl Robinson, and I think its worth it to do it for Santos as well.

Why?

Because like all the other guys we've given away for nothing. Santos is a good player in the wrong system. This system we have will be good for the game five years down the line, but the system could be implemented in the academy and grandfathered into the current team. It didn't have to make scapegoats out of players who are not suited to play this style of game. Its idiotic to try to stick a round peg into a square.

What we needed was a striker in 2010 and we got Santos. He was on pace to score at least 10 goals in 2011 and if we had paired him with Koevermans up front it could of happened, but instead we shipped him off to FC Dallas for a striker version of Nathan Sturgis. I'm not saying that Marosevic will be a disappointment, I'm just saying that if he hasnt started that many games for FC Dallas, maybe we could have offered a draft pick instead and kept Santos. Instead of "bannishing" him to FC Dallas.

I'm sure the Head Office guys are padding themselves in the back over not having to pay DeRosario or Barrett or Gordon or now Santos.

So, show some appreciation for Santos!:flare:

Another candidate in the long list of which former TFC player will score more goals than anyone on the current TFC roster.:facepalm::drinking::(:o:deadhorse:

Fort York Redcoat
08-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the goals Santos! Hope not to see you till next year!

TFC The Hague
08-03-2011, 08:11 AM
We didn't ship him for Marosevic (Avila is our get) and we would never have paired him with Koevermans.

And why the sour grapes aimed at the Front Office? They're following a plan and you don't like it? Come on, just tell it like it is then...

Maicon is a nice striker, who played bravely in a number of matches for TFC, but he was too inconsistent IMHO.

nimamalek
08-03-2011, 08:13 AM
We didn't ship him for Marosevic (Avila is our get) and we would never have paired him with Koevermans.

And why the sour grapes aimed at the Front Office? They're following a plan and you don't like it? Come on, just tell it like it is then...

Maicon is a nice striker, who played bravely in a number of matches for TFC, but he was too inconsistent IMHO.

whats the plan? doing a second complete rebuild within 6 months? :)

TFC The Hague
08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
whats the plan? doing a second complete rebuild within 6 months? :)

Oh come on... Sour grapes are on sale, this season?

BFin
08-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the cup of coffee you had with TFC. Don't know why we need another thread on Santos, or an expanded explanation as to why he should or shouldn't have been traded.

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2011, 08:33 AM
;1354165']We did it for Carl Robinson, and I think its worth it to do it for Santos as well.

Why?

Because like all the other guys we've given away for nothing. Santos is a good player in the wrong system. This system we have will be good for the game five years down the line, but the system could be implemented in the academy and grandfathered into the current team. It didn't have to make scapegoats out of players who are not suited to play this style of game. Its idiotic to try to stick a round peg into a square.

What we needed was a striker in 2010 and we got Santos. He was on pace to score at least 10 goals in 2011 and if we had paired him with Koevermans up front it could of happened, but instead we shipped him off to FC Dallas for a striker version of Nathan Sturgis. I'm not saying that Marosevic will be a disappointment, I'm just saying that if he hasnt started that many games for FC Dallas, maybe we could have offered a draft pick instead and kept Santos. Instead of "bannishing" him to FC Dallas.

I'm sure the Head Office guys are padding themselves in the back over not having to pay DeRosario or Barrett or Gordon or now Santos.

So, show some appreciation for Santos!:flare:

Another candidate in the long list of which former TFC player will score more goals than anyone on the current TFC roster.:facepalm::drinking::(:o:deadhorse:

I agree that Santos is a capable striker that lost his place on the team because of the recent acquisitions and the formation Winter prefers to utilize, but it appears as though Koevermans and Johnson are more than capable of replacing his offensive output, and they are well rounded players as well.

Remember, TFC claimed Santos off of waivers for free, and a year later, once he was relegated to the bench due to our new found depth, he was used to acquire a young GA attacking midfielder that will hopefully fill a greater need on the roster.

Thanks for scoring some memorable crackers Maicon!

jabbronies
08-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I was a Santos fan last season and most of this season. Had a wicked shot from outside the box - actually one of the first players in TFC history that actually took shots from outside the box on a regular basis. Was refreshing to see.

Good luck!

menefreghista
08-03-2011, 08:50 AM
I will miss Santos goal-poaching ability. I still think he is useful in a 2-striker system.

There is a decent chance he will still be TFC's leading scoring in MLS this season.

ochos
08-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Will miss you're above-average level of talent and blistering goals. Best of luck Maicon

Auzzy
08-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks Maicon for your goals & your time here! You definitely scored some beauties that belong in every TFC highlight real. Best of luck in Dallas, especially when playing against other Eastern Conference teams (but wishing you the worst of luck when playing TFC).

(Appreciation thread -- not a place I would want to rant about the good or the bad of this trade, the FO, the "way we wants to play" etc...)

Gazza
08-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I enjoyed having Maicon on the team. I feel no ill will towards him or the FO for this trade.

I wish him well.

Was there a Kevin Harmse appreciation thread? Fuck i love Kevin Harmse.

Roogsy
08-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Loved the cannon of a shot. My best to Maicon on the next phase of his career.

Ultra & Proud
08-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Santos,

I will miss the foolish attempts to beat three defenders in your own end with your horrible dribble and thusly I will then also miss the fact that after being dispossessed you'd rather throw your arms in the air and look to the sky than track down the ball.

Signed,

Your #1 Fan

P.S - I will also miss all those sitters you blew in the last 15 minutes of matches that could have gotten us extra points at home. Have fun in Dallas.

Roogsy
08-03-2011, 09:08 AM
This is an appreciation thread. There are other threads you can do that in.

ag futbol
08-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Definitely miss his ability to finish.

People forget, but if you think Santos blew some chances wait until you see what the average MLS substitute target man does.

mdc 77
08-03-2011, 09:09 AM

I thought it was an appreciation thread, then i read the op...reads more like bitter commentary on the "system" and the move.

Gazza
08-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Let's not turn this into a De Ro-like appreciation thread.

maninb
08-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Decent offensive player who NEVER tracked back, which is MANDATORY in Winter's system....end of story....Good trade IMO....

Roogsy
08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I thought it was an appreciation thread, then i read the op...reads more like bitter commentary on the "system" and the move.

You're right. I don't know what to make of this thread. Is it a true appreciation thread? Or is it a Santos bitch thread, in which case, there is already a thread for that.

mdc 77
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
You're right. I don't know what to make of this thread. Is it a true appreciation thread? Or is it a Santos bitch thread, in which case, there is already a thread for that.

haha I think you could say "there is already a thread for that" for just about every second thing discussed on this board.

Ageroo
08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Santos,

I will miss the foolish attempts to beat three defenders in your own end with your horrible dribble and thusly I will then also miss the fact that after being dispossessed you'd rather throw your arms in the air and look to the sky than track down the ball.

Signed,

Your #1 Fan

P.S - I will also miss all those sitters you blew in the last 15 minutes of matches that could have gotten us extra points at home. Have fun in Dallas.

As the thread states...appreciation thread.....there are other threads to voice your ire about Santos.....

You sir are correct. :)

Again....this is an appreciation thread.....and I realize you are just pointing something out and not dis-appreciating Santos.....:)

London
08-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I was a Santos fan last season and most of this season. Had a wicked shot from outside the box - actually one of the first players in TFC history that actually took shots from outside the box on a regular basis. Was refreshing to see.

Good luck!

yes but he became far too predictablle with that shot and defenders started to key on it this season.

good player, but not sad to see him go, its best for both parties i think

Ossington Mental Youth
08-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Good luck to him in his future endeavors, thanks for the goals!

__wowza
08-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Good luck to him in his future endeavors

http://www.ring-rap.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wwe-logo.jpg

seriously though, i cant believe the tone of your post NBF. santos didnt fit with the system. he was our backup striker. im all for player loyalty because maicon gave us some memorable moments, but gordon had a better strike rate, we shipped him off, and honestly im still more upset about that.

lets try and remember him on a positive instead of flipping around and taking another chance to crucify the front office.

v00d00daddy
08-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I loved Santos when he first came. I still remember that first (I think) goal he scored at bmo coming down the left wing towards the south end and hitting the ball hard, short side, with his left foot and beating the keeper. I thought...this guy is a player.

As time passed he became a bit redundant and his one dimensional play showed more and more playing under Winter.

I still think he's great..just not a great fit for us.

He should do well in the right situation.

I wish him luck and all the best and if I could give him a piece of advice it would be to find his right foot. If even just a little more. It would make a world of difference.

Roogsy
08-03-2011, 10:35 AM
All I know is that he was definitely a better finisher than Barrett. If only he had Barrett's work ethic, he could be a coveted player in MLS.

menefreghista
08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
All I know is that he was definitely a better finisher than Barrett. If only he had Barrett's work ethic, he could be a coveted player in MLS.

The type of player you describe would be playing in Europe in one of the top leagues.

Roogsy
08-03-2011, 10:38 AM
The type of player you describe would be playing in Europe in one of the top leagues.

Perhaps, you may be right. I think it's an overlooked fact that these players are in MLS for a reason. We have to accept their imperfections instead of bemoaning them. The best teams in MLS don't have perfect players, they just know how to use the players they have effectively, warts and all.

Pinkie
08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
definitely not a bad player. will definitely miss him :(

Detroit_TFC
08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Anybody who plays for Toronto and makes a effort is worthy of getting thanks on their departure. I can only think of a couple ex-players who wouldn't meet that definition. My opinion of their play is irrelevant.

Thank you Maicon Santos for brightening our season last year and I regret that things didn't work out this year.

TOBOR !
08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
geez - why not just create a Maicon Santos Forum and we done with it.

Just think - a place for all to gather and discuss what he had for breakfast, which hair products he prefers, and what he thinks of migration patterns of swallows...(anybody ?)

Roogsy
08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
:noidea:

I am consistently surprised at people's dislike of a forum whose purpose is to discuss Toronto FC and MLS but who object to threads with subjects that deal with Toronto FC or MLS. It's baffling.

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Good luck wherever you land, Santos.

- Scott

Oldtimer
08-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Just think - a place for all to gather and discuss what he had for breakfast, which hair products he prefers, and what he thinks of migration patterns of swallows...(anybody ?)

European or African swallows?

http://soundslikejournalism.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/coconuts.jpg?w=300&h=225

Frankly, if someone wants to appreciate Maicon, they should just go ahead. People who don't like the thread don't have to read or post in it.

ensco
08-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I will miss the guy's warmup routine (make sure you get there early for the Dallas CCL game if you don't know).

He is a one man Harlem Globetrotter machine with the ball.

TOBOR !
08-03-2011, 02:12 PM
European or African swallows?

http://soundslikejournalism.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/coconuts.jpg?w=300&h=225

Frankly, if someone wants to appreciate Maicon, they should just go ahead. People who don't like the thread don't have to read or post in it.

YES ! Oldtimer wins... and as for my badminding... well... geez... these days it seems that every other thread seems to be about the surly Brazillian. Lighten up, peeps.

Wull
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Best of luck to him. He gave us a bit extra when we needed it last season and he scored a few this year too. Pity he couldn't adapt to the AM role, I wouldn't have minded keeping him around

DichioTFC
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for having trade value Maicon!

grizzle
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I liked Santos bc unlike a lot of past players he could usually get his shots on or close to target. I don't really get what we got for him but hope it works out with the new guy. Best of luck to Santos though.

Klinsmann
08-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Maicon interview with Dallas

http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2011/08/qa-meet-maicon-santos

Oldtimer
08-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Maicon interview with Dallas

http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2011/08/qa-meet-maicon-santos

hmmmm

FCDallas.com: Toronto has struggled a little this year, while FC Dallas is obviously in the race for the Supporters Shield. How difficult is it to make a switch like that, onto a team in the playoff race?
Santos: For me right now it’s good because it’s the kind of thing that I like. It’s a great team that has been playing together for a couple of years, not like in Toronto right now. It’s going to be an entirely different team, from the bottom to the top. It’s going to be great!