08-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Yippee!

billyfly
08-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Dwayne, you're next!

flatpicker
08-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Thank goodness!

This team actually seems to be one step closer to being decent.

Dkolish3
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
It's funny how after the end of the game almost all of TFC's players were shirtless but none of the Real Estelli's players were. You'd think that one of the Academy kids would've wanted one.

Whoop
Looking forward to more international football at BMO.

Soccerpro
TFC looked good. Keep in mind the opposition was crap. I'd like to see Henry in at center back again.

Strikers
GREAT WIN! The guys should some great discipline.

ForeverTFC
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Good game for Plata and Johnson. Frings controls the team like a Maestro (JDG take note).

CONCACAF showing its hate for Canadian Soccer yet again, thank god the ref wasn't able to decide this game. CMNT should watch out.

Dkolish3
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
TFC just did something they haven't done since FC Edmonton, they saw a weaker team and dominated them.

Couchy81
08-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I can't say I expected anything less :)

Johnson is the man. Good goalkeeping from Kocic as well, made up for last game's blunder.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Thats how we should have played last week.
Fantastic and great to see Johnson in fine form, hopefully looked like he just needed a change of scene.

daner90
08-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Well done boys. First nicaragua, next the world!

Keyman
08-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Best players were Henry, Frings, Johnson and Plata.

Kosic also looked good, very confident takes. Glad he was able to redeem himself after last week.

SmokedPanda
i loved Platas hustle at the end to keep the ball deep in the RE end.... that's how you play the full 90+

Yohan
I hope Frings got the legs for at least 2 more years. Pirlo like performance

denime
TFC looked good. Keep in mind the opposition was crap. I'd like to see Henry in at center back again.

Not just opposition,field too.It's not easy to play or try to play possession soccer on the field like that.

I'm glad we are trough,win is win I don't care if it was ugly,lucky,etc.

CCL Group Stage will be much more interesting.

Flint
Alright!! Here we go group stages!

habstfc
08-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Good result against an obviously inferior opponent. Estili were never really in this 2 game series and only ogt 2 goals because they were basically gifted to them. Johnson was great for obvious reasons.

Pigfynn
Good game for Plata and Johnson. Frings controls the team like a Maestro (JDG take note).

CONCACAF showing its hate for Canadian Soccer yet again, thank god the ref wasn't able to decide this game. CMNT should watch out.

He did try as hard as he could though:facepalm:

Ossington Mental Youth
I hope Frings got the legs for at least 2 more years. Pirlo like performance

You mean Frings like Performance.

QSIM
08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Dunfield did his job well. Break up play, distribute when needed but allow Frings to run the game. They are looking good together.

Dkolish3
08-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Morgan looks like our starting Left Back from now on

Heathen
08-02-2011, 11:11 PM
TFC just did something they haven't done since FC Edmonton, they saw a weaker team and dominated them.

There's a pretty obvious reason for that :)

Anyway I only saw the first half then the last 10 minutes after switching to the live stream. We played well did what we had to under very difficult circumstances. Unlike some after the first leg I didn't dismiss Esteli, I think they were actually better than Arabe from last year. I think in the end the elephant grass hampered them as much as us

Thomas
08-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Great win! People can say that the opposition was weak, but it takes some character and resolve to pull off a win in that place. Hats off to the lads. Jhonson was really good. Plata was on fire too. I wasn't crazy with Morgan's play though. This is our playoffs.

Detroit_TFC
08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Communication was better, could see Frings directing traffic, very good sign. Shame Plata didn't get a goal, he was giving the RE defense fits.

A bit troubled by how dead Koevermans looked, he should have provided a spark, I think that was the intention bringing him on. Not pushing the panic button yet, just a concern.

Dkolish3
08-02-2011, 11:16 PM

Anyway I only saw the first half then the last 10 minutes after switching to the live stream. We played well did what we had to under very difficult circumstances. Unlike some after the first leg I didn't dismiss Esteli, I think they were actually better than Arabe from last year. I think in the end the elephant grass hampered them as much as us

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

Blizzard
08-02-2011, 11:16 PM
It's funny how after the end of the game almost all of TFC's players were shirtless but none of the Real Estelli's players were. You'd think that one of the Academy kids would've wanted one.

I think it's a simple matter of a relatively poor Real Estelli side not being able to afford to give away their shirts.

Detroit_TFC
08-02-2011, 11:17 PM

That was my impression too.

ManUtd4ever
08-02-2011, 11:17 PM
TFC did what they had to do to earn the result tonight, despite horrendous officiating and a hostile environment. I was initially worried about Kocic starting in goal, but he was flawless tonight, and he vindicated Winter for what was a very gutsy call to help him regain his confidence. Ryan Johnson was the MVP tonight, and he is making that San Jose trade look better and better with every match. Plata was a constant threat in the offensive zone yet again, and is starting to demonstrate that he can be a force for 90 minutes. Frings, Dunfield, and Eckersley were the defensive standouts that kept Real Esteli's forwards in check for most of the night.

TFC has a new lease on life now this season, with meaningful matches on the horizon. I can't wait to attend the CCL matches at BMO Field.

QSIM
08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Just looking through some stats..

Did we really just play a team with a player named:
F
Juan Antonio Florez B-Boy

Wingback6
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
In anticipation of more comments about Koeverman's fitness... just want to point out that he did a lot of defending in the final minutes... even tackling back as far as our own box.. he's a smart player... who knows what to do and when... even if he is a little slow.. and physically he cant dominate other teams defenders... great game Reds!!

vergilg
08-02-2011, 11:25 PM
A lot of long bombs down the wings, especially to Plata all game long by TFC. I hope they don't use this same strategy in the group stages. Although, it was smart after grabbing the lead and on a pitch that bad.

Heathen
08-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Just looking through some stats..

Did we really just play a team with a player named:
F
Juan Antonio Florez B-Boy

Sadly no. I checked, his name's actually Bedoy :(

ForestGlade
08-02-2011, 11:28 PM
See, as a soccer fan for all of five years, tonight was how I pretty well play a game of FIFA. Boot it to the other half, make a pass or two and hope for some magic. Simplicity in its finest!

QSIM
08-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Sadly no. I checked, his name's actually Bedoy :(

hah not according to ESPN SoccerNet

QSIM
08-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Halfway through the match, Sportsnet tweeted:

RogersSportsnet: The #TFC match is now on ONE. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, we will look into how we handle these issues in the future

Maybe enough people complained? I tweeted them my displeasure.

nascarguy
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Well done boys. First nicaragua, next the world!
yeah ok ? :scarf::drinking:

Empirical
08-02-2011, 11:45 PM
plata is one of our best DEFENSIVE players, applies so much pressure up the field, forcing passes just brilliant effort.

jloome
08-02-2011, 11:48 PM
That was some cold shit from Frings after the game; esteli player came over to exchange jerseys, Frings gave him his, but didn't wait to get one back, just walked away with the guy standing their holding his shirt.

Ouch.

Whoop
08-02-2011, 11:52 PM
A few TFC players walked away without an Esteli shirt after giving the Esteli players their shirt.

TFCREDNWHITE
08-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I still say our backline sucks except for eckersley

rocker
08-03-2011, 12:05 AM
so three more games at BMO (plus three Canada WCQ games).... plus league games. I should just live at BMO, save me the travel time.

tfcleeds
08-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Great result in a hostile environment - looking forward to Saturday vs. Dero.

GuelphStorm2007
08-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Good effort on a lousy Farmers Field, Sure the opposition was a CSL calibre team but It sure was not a easy place to play and that Ref sure was going to make it diffilcult for us. Good effort by Frings Ecks, and Plata and of course Johnson. Hopefully they will have enough energy for DC on SATURDAY.

NBS
08-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Great win an all, but one thing did kind of irk me.

The CCL patches. Were they stuck on with two-sided tape or something?

Surely we can stick those things on properly considering this is the top regional competition. Maybe I'm a freak for actually caring, but there should be fines for that, it just looks weak.

pekduck
08-03-2011, 12:21 AM

Surely we can stick those things on properly considering this is the top regional competition. Maybe I'm a freak for actually caring, but there should be fines for that, it just looks weak.

it's a cheap stick on patch where the adhesive dissipates in humidity or rain

got one of it from last season, it's garbage

NBS
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM

That just looks bad on CONCACAF if that's the case. How much could it possibly cost in the grand scheme of things to use a better adhesive. It makes their own competition look hokey. Well, among other things at least (pitches, refs etc)

Macksam
08-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Great game by the team. Henry, Frings, Plata, Stinson, Kocic, Eckersly, Dunfield and Johnson were all good. Stinson was the best academy guy, followed closely by Henry.

GuelphStorm2007
08-03-2011, 12:42 AM
That just looks bad on CONCACAF if that's the case. How much could it possibly cost in the grand scheme of things to use a better adhesive. It makes their own competition look hokey. Well, among other things at least (pitches, refs etc)

Lets face it what do you expect from CONCACAF the same confederation that gave us the likes of Chuck Blazer and Jack Warner. Why spend Money on decent things, it will only be in the way of money needing fro Bribes.:hump:

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2011, 12:44 AM
The Stinson sub for Martina was a ballsy move by Winter, but I suppose necessary to send a message.

- Scott

J .
08-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Im looking forward to the three CCL matches at BMO.

The team did what was exactly needed today and was a very solid performance.

TFCRegina
08-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Did what they had to do, battled adversity. Good for them.

Auzzy
08-03-2011, 01:07 AM
A lot of long bombs down the wings, especially to Plata all game long by TFC. I hope they don't use this same strategy in the group stages. Although, it was smart after grabbing the lead and on a pitch that bad.

If any of the fields in the group stage are as bad as today, then I hope they employ that strategy again. (I seriously doubt that will be the case though.)

Today, playing a slow buildup-game & keeping the ball on the ground would just have been asking for trouble, especially in our end.

TFCRegina
08-03-2011, 01:20 AM
A few TFC players walked away without an Esteli shirt after giving the Esteli players their shirt.

Well, normally I'd be pissed, but I think there's one thing to note: they probably don't get their shirts replaced unless they personally pay. These guys aren't nearly as wealthy as TFC players.

Redpunkfiddle
08-03-2011, 01:20 AM
I wasn't clear on why Frings kicked the ball away to earn the yellow, but he'll be suspended for the next match in Panama as he had one in the first game.

Alonso
08-03-2011, 01:47 AM
That was some cold shit from Frings after the game; esteli player came over to exchange jerseys, Frings gave him his, but didn't wait to get one back, just walked away with the guy standing their holding his shirt.

Ouch.

Hahaha! I noticed this too.

HAF

He eats nails for breakfast like Ecks. Seriously though, I wouldn't want that no names shirt either. This is the kind of balls TFC needs.

Alonso
08-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Well, normally I'd be pissed, but I think there's one thing to note: they probably don't get their shirts replaced unless they personally pay. These guys aren't nearly as wealthy as TFC players.

This is an assumption.

Probably better off not saying it all.

Honestly, I saw Frings and he didn't seem interested in getting one back. Simple as that. I really think that their club can afford a few extra jerseys.

TFCRegina
08-03-2011, 02:05 AM
This is an assumption.

Honestly, I saw Frings and he didn't seem interested in getting one back. Simple as that. I really think that their club can afford a few extra jerseys.

Just like they can afford to cut the grass and keep the pitch in a decent state of repair?

Brooker
08-03-2011, 02:05 AM
This is an assumption.

Then about 90% of the threads on here would disappear. :o

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2011, 02:06 AM

Ouch.

We need to edit that footage and slow down Frings walking away expressionless, and maybe add a massive explosion in the background.

Frings is hard as fuck.

- Scott

swan
08-03-2011, 05:28 AM

i think the long ball strategy was because of the grass up to their ankles.. kinda hard to pass it on the ground..

swan
08-03-2011, 05:38 AM
i just don't get how we are force to play on pitches like that why there isn't there a rule making them have to cut the pitch to a reasonable length if they wanna play in this...

Oldtimer
08-03-2011, 06:22 AM
We need to edit that footage and slow down Frings walking away expressionless, and maybe add a massive explosion in the background.

I guess Frings could have taken the other player's jersey and pretended it was a valuable keepsake, but then it wouldn't have been honest.

Let's face it, he's played at the highest level against some pretty important clubs and national teams, and probably has jerseys from some famous players. I doubt he would put up in his den some random RE player's jersey. That player was probably more excited to get Fring's jersey than anything else.

1 Frings jersey > all of the RE players' jerseys combined.

Oldtimer
08-03-2011, 06:26 AM
i just don't get how we are force to play on pitches like that why there isn't there a rule making them have to cut the pitch to a reasonable length if they wanna play in this...

How you cut the grass (or don't cut it in this case) is a standard part of home advantage (in that part of the world also add laser pointers, bags of piss, and biased/incompetent referees). RE played a very direct style, so the tall grass wouldn't hamper their style as much as TFC's. TFC knew that, so played a more direct style to meet the conditions.

Changing the style to meet conditions and changing formations on the fly... I'm starting to see a departure from the rigidity that marked Winter's first half of the season.

BTW, does anyone believe that Preki would have won this game? He would have played the scrubs and bunkered down, hoping for a 0-0 draw. We all know how well that strategy worked last year...

Detroit_TFC
08-03-2011, 06:44 AM

Frings is hard as fuck.

- Scott

I know it is early days yet, but Frings is starting to become my favorite TFC player. Leader, larger than life, hard as fuck, problem solver - that is what you want in a DP.

08-03-2011, 07:14 AM

Agreed. Plata wasn't even wearing one in Toronto when he scored his 2 goals. Don't know if it fell off, or they just didn't put one on him as a sub. Either way, doesn't convey big time football.

Technorgasm
08-03-2011, 07:29 AM
they were poor we were good.
ball in net.
Ecks Frings = HAF
onto Group.

I like drink.

ryan
08-03-2011, 07:33 AM
One thing that I've enjoyed most about the 2 leg with Real Esteli is that we won with our depth.

If we are to be a top club, one that competes for both CCL and MLS (like I hope we plan to do, I hope all clubs eventually play for both of these seriously), you need to have depth that can come in and make effective use of their time and the system we play.

RE was a much lower team than we are, no doubt, this was the right 2 matches to rest players if needed yet to still play to win!

We didn't bunker down and hope for luck, we made our own luck and scored 2 goals to put it completely out of reach.

We will need to field a stronger team in the next stage no doubt, I expect us to, but I feel that Winter played his players as he should have for this preliminary stage.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Ouch.

dudes were pretty fucking dirty on the field, i cant say i blame em

brad
08-03-2011, 07:38 AM
I wasn't clear on why Frings kicked the ball away to earn the yellow, but he'll be suspended for the next match in Panama as he had one in the first game.

I think that the cards reset going into the group stages.

brad
08-03-2011, 07:39 AM

Welcome to away games in CONCACAF.... (outside of Canada/US)

flambe
08-03-2011, 07:45 AM

Find me a link and I'll knock it out. :D

Oldtimer
08-03-2011, 07:51 AM
I think that the cards reset going into the group stages.

http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813~146129,00.pdf (http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813%7E146129,00.pdf)

Article 6.29. A single yellow resets at the end of the group stage. No resets after the preliminary round.

Frings will be suspended for the next CCL match.

__wowza
08-03-2011, 08:06 AM
where's the post game texas rangers vs detroit tigers thread!?

ManUtd4ever
08-03-2011, 08:20 AM
http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813~146129,00.pdf (http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813%7E146129,00.pdf)

Article 6.29. A single yellow resets at the end of the group stage. No resets after the preliminary round.

Frings will be suspended for the next CCL match.

Well that sucks. I hope JDG is ready to step up and play to his potential in the CCL group stage opener.

Yohan
08-03-2011, 08:31 AM
i think the long ball strategy was because of the grass up to their ankles.. kinda hard to pass it on the ground..
also height and physical advantage over RE.

TFC Cityboy
08-03-2011, 08:36 AM
After the 2 games against RE and the comeback at Portland, skippered by Torsten Frings, I am beginning to see signs of optimism for the future. A playoff berth is still dreamland this season, but there are signs that this team is coming together.

Gutsy move to have Stinson, Henry and Morgan play big roles last night and it sends an important message of confidence to them- likewise sticking with Kocic in goal who, aside from last week's gaff, strikes me as a solid keeper.

Some liquid football on the attack was great to see, and I applaud Winter for not stringing 10 men behind the ball for the 2nd leg (as Preki likely would have done).

Poor opposition, yes, and the DC match will tell us more, but the pieces of the jigsaw seem to be falling into place.

Keep it up, lads.

DangerRed
08-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Was troubling to see so much longball, but what do you do when you're playing in two-foot grass? Frings bossed the midfield (just a matter of time before JDG gets shipped now) and Martina's days are numbered. Unless there was some injury I didn't catch, he got yanked for being lazy and disinterested, and I predict he will be shuffled out before the year's over.

Ryan Johnson was fantastic and Danny Koov is still unfit. Gonna be tough against DCU, but every bit of additional confidence helps.

And fuck, it's a road win!

TFC Cityboy
08-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Was troubling to see so much longball, but what do you do when you're playing in two-foot grass? Frings bossed the midfield (just a matter of time before JDG gets shipped now) and Martina's days are numbered. Unless there was some injury I didn't catch, he got yanked for being lazy and disinterested, and I predict he will be shuffled out before the year's over.

Ryan Johnson was fantastic and Danny Koov is still unfit. Gonna be tough against DCU, but every bit of additional confidence helps.

And fuck, it's a road win!
Trade Martina for a centre back. He is lazy and Winter clearly sees it. Him being yanked off in the 1st half reminded me of Robinho's days at City - no room for passengers and if you can't be arsed, then you sit on the bench.

Iro and Henry looked decent last night but Iro has no pace whatsoever and Henry will make mistakes as he learns his trade (tho has the fundamentals and promise to be a solid CB for years to come). We'll see what this Robinson lad is like I guess.

Don Julio
08-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Amazing that one of the youngest teams we've fielded put on the most mature performance I've ever seen in Central America or Mexico. Biased reffing, terrible conditions, diving all over the place but they kept focussed and didn't let it get to them. They just kept playing.

Not sure what to attribute it to, but it's refreshing to say the least.

Pookie
08-03-2011, 08:58 AM

I wonder if the Real Esteli Goal Keeper has ever been interviewed by Declan Hill?

Roogsy
08-03-2011, 09:05 AM
where's the post game texas rangers vs detroit tigers thread!?

:lol:

This one made me spit out my coffee....gawd that was annoying.

Gazza
08-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Surprised not to see JDG and his experience in that game. Any word of an injury? He's best suited for those away games in central america.

mdc 77
08-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Surprised not to see JDG and his experience in that game. Any word of an injury? He's best suited for those away games in central america.

Considering he has had trouble with his knee and the condition of that pitch I wasn't expecting to see him last night.

maninb
08-03-2011, 09:19 AM

They probably wouldn't be ALLOWED to give away their shirts, I played a tourney in Costa Rica years ago, and when we went to trade shirts at the end, none of Costa Rican teams were allowed to do so...Remember Estelli is basically a SEMI-PRO team, with not much cash...

trane
08-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Frings is showing why I thought a CDM DP would have been a good idea, when we signed JDG, he is playing and doing what I had hoped that JDG would have done, helped organize the team.

Gazza
08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Considering he has had trouble with his knee and the condition of that pitch I wasn't expecting to see him last night.

Good point.

And i really hope that pitch didn't do too much damage to Ryan Johnson.

TFCRegina
08-03-2011, 09:21 AM
:lol:

This one made me spit out my coffee....gawd that was annoying.

We honestly started singing at our pub when the Tigers hit a home run in the bottom of the 8th breaking the 5-5 tie.

Classic fun.

Oldtimer
08-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I wonder if the Real Esteli Goal Keeper has ever been interviewed by Declan Hill?

... or Kocic? ;)

Keepers make mistakes, it's part of the game.

Stryker
08-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Our equipment manager should be sacked. This guy had been making us look bush league for some time now. Patches not sewn on properly, players names being mis-spelled. These things have happened half a dozen times now in our short history.

pekduck
08-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Our equipment manager should be sacked. This guy had been making us look bush league for some time now. Patches not sewn on properly, players names being mis-spelled. These things have happened half a dozen times now in our short history.

know your facts, these are issued by CONCACAF and not to be sewn on the kit. if anything Malcolm hates it as much as we do.

Yohan
08-03-2011, 10:18 AM
know your facts, these are issued by CONCACAF and not to be sewn on the kit. if anything Malcolm hates it as much as we do.
I think it's a tongue in cheek comment by stryker... but malcolm needs to hire a grandma to sew on the patches! ;)

Pookie
08-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Our equipment manager should be sacked.

Well, if we hire a new equipment manager I want proof that the new guy will be successful with his sewing before we offer him the job.

Further, we can't go hiring some guy who prefers his own thread, we have to use the thread that was given to us and figure a way to sew things better with the same thread. I know there are many kinds of thread on the market but this is North America and only certain kinds of thread will work. I know 4 men have tried and failed using the same type of thread and methods but if you don't get different results with the same method, keep trying until you do.

And forget getting rid of that rusty old Canadian sewing machine too. That thing has been the most reliable piece of equipment we've ever had over the last few seasons. Yeah, it takes a lot of our resources to run it and hogs up all the electricity. It sometimes works and sometimes quits running for no reason. But it has sewed the most number of patches in the last two seasons. Yes, they've all fallen off and haven't achieved the goal of staying on the jersey but don't hate on the machine. Anyone who hates on the machine doesn't know anything about sewing.

And yes, in keeping the machine we would have to forgo buying one of the better German or Dutch sewing machines on the market but buying better machines just covers up an equipment manager's short comings.

Status quo and change at the same time is my mantra. And proof before we make that change for the status quo, that come rain, snow, wind or grabby women, nothing will ever fall off again.

All agreed on the plan?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-03-2011, 10:29 AM
lulz

mclaren
08-03-2011, 10:51 AM
After the 2 games against RE and the comeback at Portland, skippered by Torsten Frings, I am beginning to see signs of optimism for the future. A playoff berth is still dreamland this season, but there are signs that this team is coming together.

Gutsy move to have Stinson, Henry and Morgan play big roles last night and it sends an important message of confidence to them- likewise sticking with Kocic in goal who, aside from last week's gaff, strikes me as a solid keeper.

Some liquid football on the attack was great to see, and I applaud Winter for not stringing 10 men behind the ball for the 2nd leg (as Preki likely would have done).

Poor opposition, yes, and the DC match will tell us more, but the pieces of the jigsaw seem to be falling into place.

Keep it up, lads.

I don't want to be negative but I do see a trend. All our best games come against the worst teams - Portland, Vancouver, Real Esteli. Coincidence?

Chubbs
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
On a side note, it was hilarious watching the cheering for every out during the baseball game at Joes. Every pop fly and ground out in the 8th and 9th innings were met with roaring applause!

Stryker
08-03-2011, 11:06 AM
I think it's a tongue in cheek comment by stryker... but malcolm needs to hire a grandma to sew on the patches! ;)

Never! An english equipment manner will never work in MLS. North Americans wear an entirely different style kit.
Seriously though, the patch thing in bunk.

BeachTory
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Never! An english equipment manner will never work in MLS. North Americans wear an entirely different style kit.
Seriously though, the patch thing in bunk.

When Koov came on a Concacaf 'official' stopped him to apply the decal over the MLS patch. If Concacaf was truly serious about how they appear to the folks on TV etc, they'd have provided some goats to trim that field ! Think of the post game BBQ !

pekduck
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM

oops :rolleyes:

err that patch is 1/4 inch thick rubber based with adhesive....his grandma will have a tough time :D

Ageroo
08-03-2011, 11:32 AM
When Koov came on a Concacaf 'official' stopped him to apply the decal over the MLS patch. If Concacaf was truly serious about how they appear to the folks on TV etc, they'd have provided some goats to trim that field ! Think of the post game BBQ !

This just made my day....haha

P-NUTZ
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
im glad they won - as they deserved to win the series.

but i will say that the quality of their overall play must improve if they want to beat teams that are not shit.

defensively they are weak, and they still play too sloppy for my confidence.

:drinking:

DOMIN8R
08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I understand ManU'S equipment manager is available. He's on the outs with their FO. Our FO whould scoop him up before someone else does. Let's start a poll to see if we can pressure the FO to go get him.

He'd tear this league up.

As for the sewing machine - this machine has produced some fine jerseys in recent years but it's getting a bit temperamental. If the sewing machine is going to demand more resources than the instructions and service agreement state, we should consider exchanging it for a new one. It might get worst, before it gets better. Our machine has shown that it can be a cancer in the equipment room. There have been more than a few rumours that the practice equipment and bag of balls think that the sewing machine should be better treated and recognized for it's contributions. Maybe Malcolm has lost the equipment room(?).

Personally, I don't think that the sewing machine fits the system. But that's just me. I'd rather see the sewing come from a few different machines rather just one. Anyway, like other traded equipment - if we got rid of the sewing machine, it would probably come back to haunt us. So many other pieces of equipment that failed here went on to be successful elswhere. The pilons, hurdles, shin pads, cleats, the list goes on.

and rant/

Stryker
08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
We're clearly never going look stylish in this league until we hire a world class equipment manager.

shwade
08-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Well, if we hire a new equipment manager I want proof that the new guy will be successful with his sewing before we offer him the job.

Further, we can't go hiring some guy who prefers his own thread, we have to use the thread that was given to us and figure a way to sew things better with the same thread. I know there are many kinds of thread on the market but this is North America and only certain kinds of thread will work. I know 4 men have tried and failed using the same type of thread and methods but if you don't get different results with the same method, keep trying until you do.

And forget getting rid of that rusty old Canadian sewing machine too. That thing has been the most reliable piece of equipment we've ever had over the last few seasons. Yeah, it takes a lot of our resources to run it and hogs up all the electricity. It sometimes works and sometimes quits running for no reason. But it has sewed the most number of patches in the last two seasons. Yes, they've all fallen off and haven't achieved the goal of staying on the jersey but don't hate on the machine. Anyone who hates on the machine doesn't know anything about sewing.

And yes, in keeping the machine we would have to forgo buying one of the better German or Dutch sewing machines on the market but buying better machines just covers up an equipment manager's short comings.

Status quo and change at the same time is my mantra. And proof before we make that change for the status quo, that come rain, snow, wind or grabby women, nothing will ever fall off again.

All agreed on the plan?

I love you, thank you!

bgnewf
08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
On To The Group Stage for TFC

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/08/on-to-the-group-stage/

In this post game video blog I celebrate Toronto FC's away victory Tuesday night in Nicaragua that secured passage into the group stages of the CONCACAF Champions League.

In this episode I look back at the game and heap praise on some brave choices from Head Coach Aron Winter, I name my top three (Frings, Plata and Johnson.. in no particular order), I ask if the TFC Front Office has learned their lesson from these two games when it comes to pricing, I heap scorn on Rogers Sportsnet for what I think was a bad choice and I ask a hypothetical question ahead of Saturday's match in DC, namely would DeRo do the shake and bake if he scored versus TFC.

Derko
08-04-2011, 04:53 AM
"...I ask a hypothetical question ahead of Saturday's match in DC, namely would DeRo do the shake and bake if he scored versus TFC..."

Of course he would, DeRo has no class, not like Carl Robinson whom seemed rather upset when he scored against us.

swan
08-04-2011, 05:14 AM
"...I ask a hypothetical question ahead of Saturday's match in DC, namely would DeRo do the shake and bake if he scored versus TFC..."

Of course he would, DeRo has no class, not like Carl Robinson whom seemed rather upset when he scored against us.

come on now..

no way he does

kodiakTFC
08-04-2011, 07:16 AM
As for our 'bad' attendance in this preliminary stage, TFC had the higgest attendance amoung all teams who were at home for the first leg. Getting higher attendance than Morelia, Santos and a few other big name clubs.

TFCRegina
08-04-2011, 09:58 AM
I understand ManU'S equipment manager is available. He's on the outs with their FO. Our FO whould scoop him up before someone else does. Let's start a poll to see if we can pressure the FO to go get him.

He'd tear this league up.

As for the sewing machine - this machine has produced some fine jerseys in recent years but it's getting a bit temperamental. If the sewing machine is going to demand more resources than the instructions and service agreement state, we should consider exchanging it for a new one. It might get worst, before it gets better. Our machine has shown that it can be a cancer in the equipment room. There have been more than a few rumours that the practice equipment and bag of balls think that the sewing machine should be better treated and recognized for it's contributions. Maybe Malcolm has lost the equipment room(?).

Personally, I don't think that the sewing machine fits the system. But that's just me. I'd rather see the sewing come from a few different machines rather just one. Anyway, like other traded equipment - if we got rid of the sewing machine, it would probably come back to haunt us. So many other pieces of equipment that failed here went on to be successful elswhere. The pilons, hurdles, shin pads, cleats, the list goes on.

and rant/

Surely the sewing machine was more effective than you're making it out to be. The two significantly lower quality sewing machines plus the first kick at another sewing machine we could get for our tried and true Canadian sewing machine may not even be in the same galaxy as the old one in terms of making things stay on the shirts.

mastermixer
08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
As for our 'bad' attendance in this preliminary stage, TFC had the higgest attendance amoung all teams who were at home for the first leg. Getting higher attendance than Morelia, Santos and a few other big name clubs.

I don't think we had a higher attendance than Seattle did last night.

rocker
08-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't think we had a higher attendance than Seattle did last night.

yeah.. Seattle blew away the prelim round with almost 22000 in attendance. TFC was second best (although 2 games are yet to be played and 2 games don't have attendance reports yet).

I think it's interesting though that Seattle's crowd was down 41% at the CCL game than at league games. Just shows that even in soccer-rabid cities like Seattle, people aren't as interested in CCL as league games.

mdc 77
08-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Just shows that even in soccer-rabid cities like Seattle, people aren't as interested in CCL as league games.

I'd make that CCL prelim match and that goes for pretty much anywhere in the world.

Carts
08-04-2011, 10:37 AM
not like Carl Robinson whom seemed rather upset when he scored against us.

I love Robo - and he is pure class...

But the reaction had alot to do with it being a 4th goal in a 4-1 drubbing... (If I remember correctly)

If anyone else had scored the goal, even if they didn't celebrate, someone would be on here saying NYRB was "rubbing it in with a late, needless goal, running up the score"...

If he scored that same goal at the same time, but the score was 0-0 at the time, I'm sure you would have seen a respectful, but joyful celebration...

mastermixer
08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
yeah.. Seattle blew away the prelim round with almost 22000 in attendance. TFC was second best (although 2 games are yet to be played and 2 games don't have attendance reports yet).

I think it's interesting though that Seattle's crowd was down 41% at the CCL game than at league games. Just shows that even in soccer-rabid cities like Seattle, people aren't as interested in CCL as league games.

I think what they also do in Seattle is put seat covers over certain sections of the stadium to avoid the crowd spreading out too much for these lower attended games. Not sure if they would be able to accomplish this at BMO though. Maybe if they can predict low attendance numbers only sell one side of the stadium first and open the other side up if needed.

Oldtimer
08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
If he scored that same goal at the same time, but the score was 0-0 at the time, I'm sure you would have seen a respectful, but joyful celebration...

I remember Robbo saying that he had decided before the game not to celebrate.

Class.

Alonso
08-05-2011, 04:37 AM
I know it is early days yet, but Frings is starting to become my favorite TFC player. Leader, larger than life, hard as fuck, problem solver - that is what you want in a DP.

We should make a two stick.:D