PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Captain now?

LittleOzzy
08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Simple, who will become TFC's new captain?

trane
08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
De Roogsy...or Frings.

Chubbs
08-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Frings was wearing the armband either in the CCL match on wednesday or at Portland on saturday, thought it was odd seeing he barely speaks a word of English, but theres more than one way to get a point across.

Hustle
08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Drty Frings ....oooh yeah!

Gazza
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
No one picked Soolsma?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Clearly Frings

swan
08-02-2011, 04:32 PM
i'm sure everyone(most) will pick frings

neuf
08-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Frings was wearing the armband either in the CCL match on wednesday or at Portland on saturday, thought it was odd seeing he barely speaks a word of English, but theres more than one way to get a point across.

From what I've heard, he speaks some English, but chooses to use an interpreter for communicating with the media to avoid misspeaking.

dantdot
08-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Frings of course but I think Eckersley or Dunfield are capable.

Phil
08-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Frings is the obvious set up. Frei and Eckersley could put on that armband without hesitation from me though.

BeerBaron95
08-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I'll wear the armband next game... seems this squad needs real leadership.

PAST EXPERIENCE:

Wore C's armband in highschool and last years supporters summit tourny

LOL.

FREI will get the armband..... FRINGS 2nd

Phil
08-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I'll wear the aemband next game... seems this squad needs real leadership.

PAST EXPERIENCE:

Wore C's armband in highschool and last years supporters summit tourny

LOL.

FREI will get the armband..... FRINGS 2nd

I dunno, they already went over the point that the keeper isn't mobile enough for them to want to do it regularly and with the move last game with Santos still technically on the team....I see them just making it Frings without much of an afterthought.

Cashcleaner
08-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Realistically, I don't see how they could make it anyone but Frings.

swan
08-02-2011, 05:17 PM
i say give it to harden or jdg..

why you ask, well what has happened to our 2 captains this year

:)

Oldtimer
08-02-2011, 05:30 PM
http://sensorymetrics.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/harveysfrings.jpg

Oldtimer
08-02-2011, 05:31 PM

Just the way he can glare at a player who messes up says more than any words. :lol:

Brooker
08-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I thought Winter already said Frings will continue to wear the band?

ryan
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Frings is most definitely it, even though nobody has a fuckin clue what he's saying.

Azerban
08-02-2011, 05:47 PM
voted ty harden

Suds
08-02-2011, 06:24 PM

TIFO?? :)

Kooper
08-02-2011, 06:32 PM
These jokes are never going to get old.

BFin
08-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm thinking unless they make it an honourary captaincy for Santos or Gordon, it could be the last straw for some people.

dupont
08-02-2011, 11:48 PM
I thought Winter already said Frings will continue to wear the band?

Yes he did

Macksam
08-03-2011, 01:09 AM
We should probably sing this at our next home match to show respect to our new Führer, :scarf:

Technorgasm
08-03-2011, 07:17 AM
Realistically, I don't see how they could make it anyone but Frings.

CASHCLEANER is not an option. . . this poll is invalid.

CASH for Captain!

Fort York Redcoat
08-03-2011, 07:52 AM
^Capzilla!!!

Darlofletch
08-03-2011, 08:08 AM
martina! he's already got santos' trademark 'shit the bed and get subbed off in the first half' tactic down, he's a natural.

zeelaw
08-03-2011, 08:14 AM
lol whose the joker who voted for soolsma

TFC The Hague
08-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Cannot believe this thread is serious. love the Soolsma vote. He would obviously captain TFC's Beer League Squad ;)

kaos197O
08-03-2011, 08:22 AM
We should probably sing this at our next home match to show respect to our new Führer, :scarf:

hahahahaha

Torsten

Torsten

Uber Alles

Uber Alles in der weld!

BFin
08-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Voted Martina. Was going to vote Frings, but Javier's performance on the pitch last night sealed the deal for me.

kaos197O
08-03-2011, 08:23 AM
From what I've heard, he speaks some English, but chooses to use an interpreter for communicating with the media to avoid misspeaking.
BTW.....this is truth.

He is a bit of a perfectionist as you can see from his play, so........

TFC The Hague
08-03-2011, 08:25 AM
[quote=Macksam;1354141]We should probably sing this at our next home match to show respect to our new Führer, :scarf:

OK, this officially makes me sick... Singing the Nazi-anthem??? Really???

kaos197O
08-03-2011, 08:41 AM
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone got upset by this. The original lyrics were written many moons before the Nazi party incorporated them as their official first verse.

It is a shame that the Nazis used it as it was written for different purposes and has now been retired due to it's unfortunate association with that party.

Here is WHY it was originally written and by whom.

August Heinrich Hoffmann (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Heinrich_Hoffmann_von_Fallersleben) (who called himself von Fallersleben (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallersleben) after his home town to distinguish himself from others with the same common name of "Hoffmann") wrote the text in 1841 on vacation on the North Sea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea) island Heligoland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heligoland), then a possession of the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom).
Hoffmann von Fallersleben intended Das Lied der Deutschen to be sung to Haydn's tune, as the first publication of the poem included the music. The first line, "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt" (usually translated into English as "Germany, Germany above all, above all in the world"), was an appeal to the various German monarchs to give the creation of a united Germany a higher priority than the independence of their small states. In the third stanza, with a call for "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" (unity and justice and freedom), Hoffmann expressed his desire for a united and free Germany where the rule of law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_law), not monarchical arbitrariness, would prevail.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschlandlied#cite_note-1)
In the era after the Congress of Vienna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_of_Vienna), which was influenced by Prince Metternich and his secret police, Hoffmann's text had a distinctly revolutionary, and at the same time liberal, connotation, since the demand for a united Germany was most often made in connection with demands for freedom of press and other liberal rights. Its implication that loyalty to a larger Germany should replace loyalty to one's sovereign personally was in itself a revolutionary idea.
The year after he wrote Das Deutschlandlied, Hoffmann von Fallersleben lost his job as a librarian and professor in Breslau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breslau), Prussia because of this and other revolutionary works, and was forced into hiding until being pardoned after the revolutions of 1848 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_of_1848_in_the_German_states).

Yohan
08-03-2011, 08:58 AM
I thought deutcheland uber alles was still the national anthem of germany?

TFC The Hague
08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
@kaos1970 sorry, teacher...
@Yohan the music: yes. Changed the lyrics after WWII

Auzzy
08-03-2011, 10:28 AM
The original first verse of the German national anthem is disliked by the vast majority of Germans (including myself). You can bet that Frings would not be happy & would not find it at all funny to hear that. While not officially illegal to sing the first verse these days, it's very tabu & looked down upon. It is generally only sung by right-wing extremists. Most Germans including Frings would probably either think you're trying to crack a very insensitive joke & calling him a Nazi if you sing the first verse, or that you're some kind of fascist yourself. (Not saying that either of that is true or intended -- but that's how most Germans would interpret it.)

As mentioned ^^^ the original meaning of the first verse was not as negative & imperialistic as generally assumed now -- but it's obviously easily understood that way, both due to the text & the way the Nazis misappropriated the hymn.

The lyrics were never changed after WWII. What is sung now as the only verse, was the original third verse of the hymn. BTW under the Nazis, only the first verse was sung, and never the third -- meaning it doesn't carry the negative connotation.

Long story short, it's not funny.

Carts
08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
lol whose the joker who voted for soolsma

Maybe they want him traded...???

Dero - Captain - Traded...
Santos - Captain - Traded...

They're hoping for: Soolsma - Captain - Traded... LOL

:hump:

Whoop
08-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Then shouldn't they make JDG captain?

Huh, Carts... ;)

zeelaw
08-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Maybe they want him traded...???

Dero - Captain - Traded...
Santos - Captain - Traded...

They're hoping for: Soolsma - Captain - Traded... LOL

:hump:
Only in the TFC world right.

maninb
08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Frings and Frei(s) as co-captains....or as a burger accompanyment...

Detroit_TFC
08-03-2011, 01:51 PM
As a public service we'll come out with Frequently Used Player Phrases handbook in German, English and Dutch, including favorite phrases "move into space you fucks," "put your fucking arms down in the box douchebag," and "watch out for Greg Yeoman, that dude is scary."

:D

swan
08-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Then shouldn't they make JDG captain?

Huh, Carts... ;)

thats what i said .. well him or harden

colman1860
08-03-2011, 04:52 PM
The original first verse of the German national anthem is disliked by the vast majority of Germans (including myself). You can bet that Frings would not be happy & would not find it at all funny to hear that. While not officially illegal to sing the first verse these days, it's very tabu & looked down upon. It is generally only sung by right-wing extremists. Most Germans including Frings would probably either think you're trying to crack a very insensitive joke & calling him a Nazi if you sing the first verse, or that you're some kind of fascist yourself. (Not saying that either of that is true or intended -- but that's how most Germans would interpret it.)

As mentioned ^^^ the original meaning of the first verse was not as negative & imperialistic as generally assumed now -- but it's obviously easily understood that way, both due to the text & the way the Nazis misappropriated the hymn.

The lyrics were never changed after WWII. What is sung now as the only verse, was the original third verse of the hymn. BTW under the Nazis, only the first verse was sung, and never the third -- meaning it doesn't carry the negative connotation.

Long story short, it's not funny.

Well said.

The only thing I would add is that Deutschland, Deutschland ueber alles ("Germany, Germany over everything") wasn't originally intended to mean "over every other country" but rather that it should be over everything in your mind. So basically it just means that you should be patriotic/have your country at the forefront of your mind. Of course, the Nazis twisted that a little...but yes, let's not make a chant out of this.

prizby
08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes he did

when was this said?

Macksam
08-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh shit, this is a Nazi version? I had no idea when I posted it. I just searched "German national anthem" and picked one.

I am terribly sorry if I offended you or anyone else. Mods, remove it by all means.

Auzzy
08-03-2011, 11:29 PM
^ Hey it was a good history lesson for all including me. :D

The new words for the German national anthem (former third verse) might not make a good chant for Frings either: "Unity and justice and freedom..." We're gonna have to come up with something better. :D Doesn't Harvey's have a good ad jingle we can use?

Yagbod
08-04-2011, 12:49 AM
How about chanting his name to the tune of 'here we go' ?

nickio
08-04-2011, 02:09 AM
what about adopting our version of Werden Bremen chant, but to suit Frings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUkBPHbO78A&feature=related

a variation of the below:
"Alleeeeeeeeez Forza T F C
Forza Teeeeeeeeeee F C Forza TFC
TFC! TFC! TFC! TFC!
Alleeeeeeeeez Forza Torsten Frings
Forza Torsten Frings Forza FRINGS"

Macksam
08-04-2011, 06:05 AM
^ Hey it was a good history lesson for all including me. :D

The new words for the German national anthem (former third verse) might not make a good chant for Frings either: "Unity and justice and freedom..." We're gonna have to come up with something better. :D Doesn't Harvey's have a good ad jingle we can use?
Frings is a Hamburger, he's a beautiful thing?

lulz:D...only would work if he's from Hamburg I guess.

Oldtimer
08-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Frings is a Hamburger, he's a beautiful thing?

lulz:D...only would work if he's from Hamburg I guess.

He's from Würselen, near Cologne. He's not a Hamburger, I'm afraid, just a Frings.

Blizzard
08-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Oh shit, this is a Nazi version? I had no idea when I posted it. I just searched "German national anthem" and picked one.

I am terribly sorry if I offended you or anyone else. Mods, remove it by all means.

It was an honest mistake. It's the same tune today but the words have been changed. Many still think it is still called Deutschland Uber Alles but it isn't.

It reminds me of 1972 when Roget Doucet sang the Soviet anthem in Montreal. He did it wonderfully and permission had been received from the Soviet Embassy. The tricky thing was that the lyrics had been retired. They were still communist with references to past leaders that had gone out of favour when Kruschev came to power after the death of Stalin. So, the words sung in Montreal on that September night hadn't been used in maybe 15 years.

That song, another great melody as is the German, has altered lyrics now too.

TFCtoMUFC
08-05-2011, 04:14 PM
I voted for Nick Soolsma. We need to change it up. Brennan, DeRo, Maicon Santos, Frei, Frings...all obvious candidates for captain. Have we won with any of them? Nope. So maybe we pick a guy on the team that isn't captain material (need Ibby back) it can't be any worse.

TFCmatty
08-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm german and i don't see what the fuss is about concerning using "Deutschland, Deutschland ueber alles".

Its offically part of our (germany's) national anthem and translated correctly and in context, has nothing to do with right-wing supremacy in any way. In fact, I spent the last world cup in Berlin and this verse was routinely sung before each match at brandenburger tor, in Berlin, a city that is probably the least right-wing place in europe.

Also, contrary to what ignorant people think, its not the nazi national anthem. The nazis took that one stanza and transplanted it into their own SA song called Horst-Wessel-Lied. The original is from 1922, 11 years before Hitler took power.

It's also not uncommon to see banners at Internationals that bare the words as well. I really dont think Torsten would have a problem lol.

Auzzy
08-05-2011, 11:06 PM
^ Ah, do we really have to go on with this?

The German national anthem now consists only of the third verse of the "Deutschlandlied" by Hoffmann von Fallersleben. Don't believe me, believe the German government: http://www.bundesregierung.de/Webs/Breg/DE/Bundesregierung/Nationalhymne/nationalhymne.html

Let's just say the rest is complicated.

Yohan
08-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Someone just go to frings and ask him lok

TFCmatty
08-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Fair enough, I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm just saying, as a german, it's part of our original anthem. Just because it's something that Nazi's abused, doesn't mean we need to be ashamed of it. It was never meant to be a nationalistic stanza, and doesn't need to represent that today.

Gazza
08-06-2011, 02:06 PM
We need to come up with a song quickly. Two years and the beautiful bastard will be gone.

los sonadores
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Fair enough, I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm just saying, as a german, it's part of our original anthem. Just because it's something that Nazi's abused, doesn't mean we need to be ashamed of it. It was never meant to be a nationalistic stanza, and doesn't need to represent that today.

Wow, times are a changing, eh? Not long ago this would have been unthinkable. Unfortunately its also a bit of a simplistic view. The context now is totally different than it was in the mid-19th century when the sentiments were written. This after the extreme nationalism of the 20th century in many countries. It's not just a traditional thing that can be resurrected as if nothing was wrong with it - the lyrics have negative meaning on at least two levels, and their context adheres to them.