PDA

View Full Version : While you were sleeping...

TOBOR !
08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
So I was off work last week, and away from a PC mostly, and my phone ran out of airtime... Friday we went to Wonderland with the kids, and were out all Saturday at a pool party and then went to the drive-in at night.

By the time I get home it's 2AM and I think 'dammit - I missed the game against Portland - need to find out what happened', so I flip on the tube and alternate between the sports-tickers until I saw the TFC score, but there was an update I didn't quitre understand so I did what I should've done in the first place and caught up with TFC in six minutes.

This is how I was introduced to Peri Marosevic.

Who ? What ? You can't take your eyes off this team for a moment if you want to be in the loop.

And I got to wondering, what's been your biggest pants-down, living under a rock realisation concerning this team, and the circumstances surrounding it ?

menefreghista
08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
And I got to wondering, what's been your biggest pants-down, living under a rock realisation concerning this team, and the circumstances surrounding it ?

There was one home game this season I had to ask who a player was. It ended up being Sturgis.

MKR
08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Stinson and Gold. I had no idea who either were for a while.

MKR
08-02-2011, 12:22 PM
oh yeah there's also injuries and injury status. I'll often ask why player X isn't around after not seeing them play for a number of games, only to find out they're injured.

Pachuco
08-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I found out about the Frings and Koevermans signings from the ticker on the bottom of Sportsnet's channel. Considering I live on this board. And all 100594+ signings we've had in the last 5 years I learned through this board. I was absolutely shocked that I found out about 2 very important signings on TV. Really caught me off guard.

ArmenJBX
08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Year 3 injury and international problems - I went down to BMO Field and had NO idea who half the players were - Rick Titus? Whaaaaaat?

I figured there had been a mass exodus from our guys.

__wowza
08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
i found out we had a team on saturday.

Yohan
08-02-2011, 01:02 PM
I found out about the Frings and Koevermans signings from the ticker on the bottom of Sportsnet's channel. Considering I live on this board. And all 100594+ signings we've had in the last 5 years I learned through this board. I was absolutely shocked that I found out about 2 very important signings on TV. Really caught me off guard.

Lol me too. Though i was out of town for work and had very limited internet access.

mdc 77
08-02-2011, 01:04 PM
We have a team? I was starting to think it's been awhile since MLS granted us this club in '06, I've been waiting for us to add real footballers ever since.

Mexinese
08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
This is one that has not happened yet but may in the very near future. Im in Mexico until September and have been trying to catch up with TFC, but for whatever reason Im not able to, I might come home in one month and not know one single player on the club, since thats how things seem to work aroun TFC... lol

nickio
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Ye mine is bad:

Took my wife for our first game of the year, and on the way I was saying how we were starting to build up our strong offense (Gordon, Stevanovic, DeRo, Santos). Of course, that was the first game when I saw a big unfamiliar character in the midfield (Tchani), and some small guy at LB screwing up a lot of passes.

It took me about 25 min into the game to figure out, from the crowd, that DeRo's just gone through the turnstiles. I remember sitting there stomped. I usually follow the team on the daily basis- but that totally caught me with my pants down. I don't know how I missed that...

KRO
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Mine was the Dallas game and Viator. I'd been out of town for a couple of days for work and got back just in time for the game. I didn't see the line ups and spent the first half trying to work out who he was. The scary thing was nobody sat around me could help (north end)!

TOBOR !
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
ha ha... but that's prety much the norm around here these days !

kodiakTFC
08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
TFC just traded Santos to Dallas for Avila. I missed that until I checked twitter upon arriving home from work. Point of this post? I check twitter too much.

Pachuco
08-02-2011, 03:24 PM
TFC just traded Santos to Dallas for Avila. I missed that until I checked twitter upon arriving home from work. Point of this post? I check twitter too much.

We traded Santos? Now I'm finding out about trades in threads talking about trades we didn't know about

kodiakTFC
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
We traded Santos? Now I'm finding out about trades in threads talking about trades we didn't know about

Consider my mind blown.

Brooker
08-02-2011, 05:35 PM
i found out we had a team on saturday.

lucky bastard.

[NBF]
08-03-2011, 06:14 AM
They should just post new comings and goings on the star brights during the game:)

MarkEightThree
08-03-2011, 08:58 AM
I flew to Japan for a week right before the Montreal NCC game back in 2009. Figured we had no hope of winning but I checked TorontoFC.ca for the results a few days later when I managed to find a Net Cafe...

6-1 :yikes: