PDA

View Full Version : Red Bulls win Emirates cup

jloome
07-31-2011, 12:15 PM
....after Arsenal, totally dominating, sub out half their starters and go bunker in thelast 10 minutes, giving up a tying goal in the 84 minute.

Eek.

justin
07-31-2011, 12:40 PM
going to be another long season for us arsenal fans especially after watching that totally toothless "dominating" performance today. good for NY though and good for the league.

SoccMan
07-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Wow nice result even if it is just a preseason tournament, good for Red Bulls and MLS .

LucaGol
07-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Especially impressive considering they defeated PSG 2 nil and kept up with Arsenal ... all while playing in a foreign environment.

The disclaimer obviously being that Arsenal and PSG are in preseason form and NYRB are not.

Nevertheless, games like these just a short time ago were always guaranteed routes.

Sure, some european teams spanked MLS teams in friendlies recently (some, not all ... most were competitive). Those games only became out of hand when the MLS teams basically played their reserve teams in the second half.

andyc
07-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah I was at the game today - lots of embarrassed Arsenal fans.... They had so many chances to kill off the game but couldn't and then they switched the team around completely and gave up and ugly goal. There was lots of love for Henry including a chant that started up saying "Let him score a goal!". Never seen that before... Oh and it looked like Carl Robinson was an assistant coach for the NYRB. He was running some of the warm up drills.

rocker
07-31-2011, 04:40 PM
now let's hope NYRB are really really really tired coming back to the MLS season ;)

habstfc
07-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Did arsenal and PSG have their A team or B team or a mix. 9 times out of 10 PSG and arsenal clobber this team.

habstfc
07-31-2011, 06:55 PM
I just looked at the standings and it might not have been a good idea for NYRB to have played in this tournament. It added 2 games to their schedule when they are fighting with D.C, Houston and SKC for that final playoff spot. They all have games in hand and are only 3 points behind them. I will not be shocked if NY doesn't make the playoffs. Look.

PTS GP
Col 34 22
Phi 31 20
NY 30 23
SKC 27 21
Hou 27 22
D.C. 26 20