PDA

View Full Version : MLS suspends Saborio for flop

Couchy81
07-29-2011, 11:55 PM
The committee says Saborio fell in a deliberate attempt to deceive officials and gain an unfair advantage in the 61st minute. The subsequent foul and penalty kick goal directly impacted San Jose's next match because defender Bobby Burling was issued a red card on the play.

Saborio will serve his suspension Saturday against Columbus. He also was fined $1,000.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=372777

Love it. They should do it more often.

Dreadlocks
07-30-2011, 09:38 AM
+1 - 100% agree

ryan
07-30-2011, 09:49 AM
incredible news. this will certainly help crack down on this crap.

prizby
07-30-2011, 10:54 AM
i assume burling gets his red card taken away too?

denime
07-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Love it

Petor
07-30-2011, 11:39 AM
i assume burling gets his red card taken away too?

Nope, Fifa rules.
Unless card given to wrong person it can't be recinded.

prizby
07-30-2011, 11:42 AM
^thats retarded

Alixir
07-30-2011, 12:14 PM
^thats retardedthats fifa

LesH
07-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Nope, Fifa rules.
Unless card given to wrong person it can't be recinded.

That's a total BS rule! :facepalm:

MarkEightThree
07-30-2011, 10:51 PM
What was the obscene gesture from Busch?

shutupkid
07-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Anyone have a link for the dive?

ag futbol
07-31-2011, 09:44 AM
What was the obscene gesture from Busch?
He gave the ref the finger.

Auzzy
07-31-2011, 10:11 AM
AWESOME news about Saborio. As I said after that game:

In other news, Álvaro Saborío is a massive ass. Check the replay, what a dive:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/07/28/busch-admits-losing-his-cool-controversial-rsl-rout

David Gantar should get a red card for the rest of the season. (Although, he's been good to us with some of his bad calls, hasn't he?)

Link above with the replay showing the dive. Funny, people were asking about rescinding the red card: the wacko ref actually DID show the card to the "wrong" guy first, then changed his mind & showed the card to a different defender after speaking with the AR. The fact that they were BOTH the "wrong guys" and neither should have seen a red, is another matter...

Does Gantar also get suspended or otherwise penalized after that embarrassment? Probably not.

Vancity RED
07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Does Gantar also get suspended or otherwise penalized after that embarrassment? Probably not.

Frankly, I feel bad for the officials in this kind of situation. I think it's a lot to ask of any human being to decypher whether there was a real foul or a deliberate attempt to decieve, on the spot, in real time. That's why I think these kinds of suspensions are fantastic - I'd like to see them get even more punative. Shit like this embarasses the game.

prizby
07-31-2011, 12:17 PM
so when a player gets a red card for doing absolutely nothing wrong, it can't get rescinded

i was sure someone in the EPL last year had a red rescinded cuz he got it for doing nothing wrong

Auzzy
07-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Frankly, I feel bad for the officials in this kind of situation. I think it's a lot to ask of any human being to decypher whether there was a real foul or a deliberate attempt to decieve, on the spot, in real time. That's why I think these kinds of suspensions are fantastic - I'd like to see them get even more punative. Shit like this embarasses the game.

I realize it's tough for refs, and all the deception & underhanded crap happening all the time makes it MUCH tougher for the refs. I agree, great reason for post-game review & suspensions.

However, I believe the red card on a play like that is a judgement call, & really overdone in this case. The ref & AR need to be aware of their positioning, ability to completely see the play, etc, and react accordingly. I think you also have to judge intent to foul -- which just wasn't the case here. The PK you could say was mostly due to deception & strongly the fault of Saborio. But that was enough damage even if the call had been correct. The red card was over the top, and very embarrassing after it turned out to be a dive.

Plus Gantar is just a pretty bad ref all around (even if we have benefited from his ineptitude at times this season).