PDA

View Full Version : Eckersley may stay after all

Dkolish3
07-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Eckersley keen to stay at TFC

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/07/29/sp-mls-tfc-eckersley.html?ref=rss#ixzz1TXv1msPh

Interesting. Very Interesting.

ensco
07-29-2011, 05:14 PM
OK that is really interesting. My opinion of Winter just went up.

Pachuco
07-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Awesome. Love this kid. It would be kind of an honor to have him stay after his loan and have him sign with us.

Gazza
07-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Alright, quick, someone make another Winter approval poll. ;)

Whether he wants to stay here is irrelevant if we can't afford to keep him around.

I sure hope we can scrape up enough funds to pay him. He's been a steady, consummate pro like we've never seen on the back-end.

TFC_905
07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
I hope TFC does everything in their power to assure he remains part of this team. He's a solid RB

Suds
07-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Ecks is enjoying his first stint of regular football in one place for quite some time now. No doubt he is enjoying it and is helping him develop. It's working for both parties at this point so I would like to see it continue.

Many things can change between now and January when his loan officially ends. My guess is any talk of his future here will not pick up until the end of the season.

DOMIN8R
07-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Whaaaa?

By how much? Do tell. :lol:

Does Roogsy feel the same?

Keyman
07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
I thought Winter ran horrible practices ;)

Anyway, great to see that Ecks is keen on staying. With all the on field frustration I thought for sure he'd be too fed up to stay, but it looks like the opposite is true. He has the potential to be an anchor at the back for years to come.

ManUtd4ever
07-29-2011, 05:55 PM
The article definitely sounds encouraging from Eckersley's perspective. Hopefully, TFC will be able to negotiate a transfer when his loan deal expires, because he is unquestionably the best right back in TFC history.

Stryker
07-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Sexellent! I had a feeling he may want to stay now. I honestly think bringing in Frings and Koevermans has alot to do with it.

Couchy81
07-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Sexellent! I had a feeling he may want to stay now. I honestly think bringing in Frings and Koevermans has alot to do with it.

I think so too, the cynics may see it as a gimmick to sell more tickets but I see it as a move to improve our club and win some damn games. It shows management isn't sitting around twiddling their thumbs, but are eager to turn the fortunes of this team around for the fans who deserve it after 4 years of sub-par mediocrity, and for their own interests in turn. The massive support from the start from the fans has probably also made it financially viable for them to make these types of signings.

Hustle
07-29-2011, 06:25 PM
This man needs a chant.

Stryker
07-29-2011, 06:27 PM
The thing I want to know, and have never been able to find an answer for, is when the league negotiates these loans with an option to buy deals... is the buy price set at the time and then locked in regardless of how good the player might play? And if so, is the team who owns the player contractualy obligated to sell at the previously agreed upon price?

johnmolinaro
07-29-2011, 06:41 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure this has a great deal to do with it.

When I talked to him for the article, I got the sense it had more to do with TFC believing him and giving him a chance to prove himself and contribute.

Considering his track record with Burnley (only a handful of appearances and being loaned over several times), I think he's just genuinely grateful to TFC for the opportunity the club has given him.

Anyway, just my two cents.

John

PS: I got the idea for doing this story from someone on this board asking me to do it - so take a bow!

jloome
07-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Good piece.

Eckersley's shortcomings are pretty obvious now: he's hotheaded and rash on challenges sometimes. But he's still the best fullback we've ever had, and I'm including Todd Dunivant in that.

And it's definitely notable that a player of this calibre, without a contractual obligation here (Burnley would have to pick up his 18 months even if they released him), speaks highly of Winter.

jloome
07-29-2011, 07:19 PM

He's establishing a higher standard. The ultimate question, past all the debate about his as a coach or individual, is whether that standard can survive in MLS, where there just may never be enough good players. I guess they're betting that if you teach the system early enough, the rest will take care of itself over time.

But we could be in for some leeeeeean years waiting for it to permeate the club at every level to the point where we aren't dependent on doing the way other MLS clubs could.

brad
07-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Says he only has 18 months left on his contract - which means it expires at the end of the 2011/12 English season. If we had to buy him in January, he'd be cheap with only 6 months remaining. I could also see extending the loan with him signing on a free after.

Also, very positive that player that spent a number of years working working with a manager with the stature of Sir Alex saying positives like that about Winter. He's bound to have a pretty high bar for managers.

Super
07-29-2011, 08:11 PM
This man needs a chant.

Eckersley, clap, clap, clap, Eckersley, clap, clap, clap.. that works and would be loud as fuck. Any other lengthy 4 page long player chant - rarely works.

PopePouri
07-29-2011, 08:19 PM
It possible he didn't see eye to eye with the Burnley coach hence he was benched and out of loan deals. It's hearsay but he certainly a fullback that gets forward than most others.

ensco
07-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Whaaaa?

By how much? Do tell. :lol:

To me, guys who have praised Winter have looked like they have a pistol pointed at their temple, until this.

That's the first time a player who has options has said something heartfelt and positive about Winter. So it has to mean something.

rocker
07-29-2011, 08:36 PM
i love this guy. hope he stays. that would solidify a position that's been crying out for a solid all-round player since day 1. i wonder what his price would be. Shit, I'd give him 200K.

denime
07-29-2011, 08:39 PM
To me, guys who have praised Winter have looked like they have a pistol pointed at their temple, until this.

That's the first time a player who has options has said something heartfelt and positive about Winter. So it has to mean something.

Unless J.M. had a pistol pointed at his temple during the interview. :D

levyashin
07-29-2011, 09:05 PM
just read that bolton have signed mears and eagles from burnley. mears was the player keeping eckersley out of the burnley line-up.just saying.

Roogsy
07-29-2011, 09:19 PM
I like Ecks too. The only problem I see (which is a problem with all loans) is that if Ecks plays well enough, his value increases so even if Burnely doesn't want him back themselves, they may be able to loan him out to a club willing to make a better deal than TFC unless TFC steps up with a better offer.

How much influence does a player have in this sort of situation?

rocker
07-29-2011, 09:28 PM
MLS requires that all loan deals have to have a buy price apparently... i wonder what Ecks' is.
Some players have come over on such things and have been eventually bought. I'm thinking Fereira in Dallas, Montero in Seattle, Saborio in Salt Lake are the most notable.

sashavukelich
07-29-2011, 09:30 PM
he's easily worth 150-200k/yr given his talent and versatility.

brad
07-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I like Ecks too. The only problem I see (which is a problem with all loans) is that if Ecks plays well enough, his value increases so even if Burnely doesn't want him back themselves, they may be able to loan him out to a club willing to make a better deal than TFC unless TFC steps up with a better offer.

A lot. They can't sell or loan him somewhere he doesn't want to go. Of course, they can choose not to sell him at a cut rate if it comes to that.

About his contract, something seems odd - he has 18 months left on his contract, which means it expires January 2013, which seems odd to have his contract expire in the middle of the English season. Regardless, as a player entering the last year of his contract, his value is going to be driven down as a result of that, so I'm not sure that playing well here will really drive his price up.

TFCRegina
07-29-2011, 09:34 PM

You know, from following UK football closely, usually if a player doesn't want to be there, he can find an out.

On top of that, Burnley is already in discussions for their defense and Eckersley hasn't been mentioned once. David Edgar and company are all considered better alternatives for their club.

But I'm glad he wants to stay here.

brad
07-29-2011, 09:36 PM
MLS requires that all loan deals have to have a buy price apparently... i wonder what Ecks' is.
Some players have come over on such things and have been eventually bought. I'm thinking Fereira in Dallas, Montero in Seattle, Saborio in Salt Lake are the most notable.

With the buyout, doesn't that mean we have to make him a DP? I recall reading that RSL had to make Sabario one because the paid a transfer fee.

I wouldn't expect Ecks fee to be more that a couple hundred thousand - which would come out of allocation money.

prizby
07-29-2011, 09:42 PM
won't believe til i see it...i remember when cbc reported that he who should not be named wanted to play for canada...

they really have a way of reporting what ppl want to hear

Oldtimer
07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
For his part, Eckersley believes he has thrived under coach Winter’s tutelage.
“With every player on the team, and this is why he’s so good, he tells everybody to not be afraid to express themselves on the field, even in practice. He also teaches and encourages you at the same time, and that’s why I enjoy playing for him,” Eckersley said.

That sounds very positive coming from someone who doesn't really need to say anything.

Borga
07-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Is it possible Ecks has a positive view of Winter because he's got a better background than most players on the team? If he's got a better pedigree, he's more likely to "get" the system and not resent the coach like Peterson did.

KRO
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM
This is a great counterpoint to the Alan Gordon thread that ran last week. I hope that this kid sticks around. He has future captain written all over him.

TFCin110
07-29-2011, 10:28 PM
I find it amazing that a player with a higher football IQ is saying the complete opposite, regarding Winter, of what we have heard from players with a lesser footballing brain. I think it is telling if i'm honest.

brad
07-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Is it possible Ecks has a positive view of Winter because he's got a better background than most players on the team? If he's got a better pedigree, he's more likely to "get" the system and not resent the coach like Peterson did.

Probably correct. I think a lot of the other players are going dislike him because he is pushing them out of their comfort zone, benching them because he doesn't rate them, that sort of thing.

Peterson is a good example - he pretty much sucks as footballer of any merit. However he was considered by many to be a good MLS player. Winter comes along, drops him from the team then ships him out because he lacks the fundamentals most of the fundamental skills a professional footballer should have. Of course he is going to dislike Winter, he's not going accept the fact that Winter was right.

brad
07-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Also, Kasey Keller made an interesting comment after Seattle got thumped by United. I can't find the article to link, but paraphrasing, he said "most of the players think they are good enough to play in the EPL, but they just haven't had the break to get them there." He then said something about that game showing them how far off they actually are from that level.

I find that interesting in that it pretty strongly implies that some of these guys have a pretty unrealistic view of how good they are. If that was the case with some of our players, I don't think they'd take fondly to a guy like Winter coming in and taking them back to U12 lessons to teach them how to pass a ball.

MartinUtd
07-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Also, Kasey Keller made an interesting comment after Seattle got thumped by United. I can't find the article to link, but paraphrasing, he said "most of the players think they are good enough to play in the EPL, but they just haven't had the break to get them there." He then said something about that game showing them how far off they actually are from that level.

I find that interesting in that it pretty strongly implies that some of these guys have a pretty unrealistic view of how good they are. If that was the case with some of our players, I don't think they'd take fondly to a guy like Winter coming in and taking them back to U12 lessons to teach them how to pass a ball.

Great point. When I read through this article I couldn't help but contrast it with the comments Peterson made on his twitter account. That guy was making $150k and he was basically CSL quality so I'm glad we hurt his fragile ego, he needs it.

Super
07-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Eckersley is definitely one of my favourite players on the team today - and it's been a joy to watch him play,even if we've been shite. However, I don't want to get too attached to seeing the guy on our team. I mean, 18 months left on his contract? That's a long time for Burnley to notice that maybe they should try and get a bit of cash out of selling him back home ... or whatever. Many different scenarios possible when we don't hold the contract, and that makes me very uneasy. Would be great if the league allowed us to just buy him out of his contract.

brad
07-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Eckersley is definitely one of my favourite players on the team today - and it's been a joy to watch him play,even if we've been shite. However, I don't want to get too attached to seeing the guy on our team. I mean, 18 months left on his contract? That's a long time for Burnley to notice that maybe they should try and get a bit of cash out of selling him back home ... or whatever. Many different scenarios possible when we don't hold the contract, and that makes me very uneasy. Would be great if the league allowed us to just buy him out of his contract.

We can if we want to, and we have the allocation money to pay the transfer fee, and want to make him a DP.

I really wish the MLS would make it easier to buy players. I don't mean allowing teams to drop millions, but it would be nice if teams could drop a few hundred thousand per season to bring in guys like Ecks. Could really increase the quality of play.

Super
07-29-2011, 11:23 PM
We can if we want to, and we have the allocation money to pay the transfer fee, and want to make him a DP.

I really wish the MLS would make it easier to buy players. I don't mean allowing teams to drop millions, but it would be nice if teams could drop a few hundred thousand per season to bring in guys like Ecks. Could really increase the quality of play.

Yes, you're right, it is possible to buy a player - but like you said it would occupy a DP spot. And definitely also right about the rest you said. Eckers is great, but not worth DP money.

Huyton
07-29-2011, 11:24 PM
I love watching this guy play.

I was really worried that we'd come to rely on him and he'd bugger off back to Burnley; that he'd just want to get out of town and away from the train-wreck that seems to be TFC far too much of the time.

Stryker
07-30-2011, 03:30 AM
We can if we want to, and we have the allocation money to pay the transfer fee, and want to make him DP.
I think that allocation does not a DP make. (eat your heart out Shakespeare) That is to say if we payed him 150K and Burnley 400K while his total cost for the year would be 550K, he wouldn't be classified as a DP so long as allocation covered at least 215K.

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2011, 03:37 AM
won't believe til i see it...i remember when cbc reported that he who should not be named wanted to play for canada...

they really have a way of reporting what ppl want to hear

What Priz? Forgot who reported it. The player himself is quoted. He wants to stay.

I hope they can make it happen.

Ron Manager
07-30-2011, 08:01 AM

This is definitely true. MLS players are largely NCAA developed (or not as the case may be). NCAA focuses on winning trophies to benefit the school, NOT player development. PLayers coming out of that system are generally big, strong, athletic but possess limited tactical and technical abilities (see Peterson, Gargan, and yes, even Gordon as examples of varying degrees). This is why alot of Euro-philes scoff at MLS. The football is clumsy at best and guys thrive because they have better physical attributes then others (Wynne and his speed is a perfect example)
This needs to change and it will take guys who have the mindset of Winter to do it. It is not easy and will take time to assemble a decent squad of people who can actually play football. Then you have to tackle the problem of how to deal with the relentless pressure and physicality that is a hallmark of MLS.
I believe it can be done and that we are on the correct, albeit slow, path to do so. And it takes getting rid of the Gargans and bringing in the Eckersleys to make it happen.
Here's hoping that we can make the Eckersley move permanent. I'm sure the FO sees all the qualities we see in him.

Ron Manager
07-30-2011, 08:03 AM
This is a great counterpoint to the Alan Gordon thread that ran last week. I hope that this kid sticks around. He has future captain written all over him.

Gordons comments sounded like sour grapes and poor professionalism to me, ditto for Peterson. It was disappointing to see that happen from guys who really did give 100% of what they had on the pitch.

swan
07-30-2011, 08:16 AM
i really want to like this guy but it's like i have the WWII syndrome i don't wanna get close and like the new guy because he might be gone soon..

i hope he will stay with us

ag futbol
07-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Peterson is a good example - he pretty much sucks as footballer of any merit. However he was considered by many to be a good MLS player. Winter comes along, drops him from the team then ships him out because he lacks the fundamentals most of the fundamental skills a professional footballer should have. Of course he is going to dislike Winter, he's not going accept the fact that Winter was right.
Ok - as a point of clarification I think most people would say Peterson is a guy who is capable of playing in the league and doing a job, not really anything beyond that.

As for the comment about fundamental skills, I can't say that I disagree. But here's the kicker, how much footballer do you get for an average MLS salary? Can Winter replace the players he considers inadequate with ones that have the characteristics he wants to successfully build his system? In the end that's going to tell us whether Winter or Peterson was right.

v00d00daddy
07-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Definitely...only time will tell.

Eck coming out and sayin this is a pretty big endorsement of Winter.

I'd argue that if there is any outfield player that had more respect of the supporters than Gordon it would be Ecks.

So what now?

Now that one of our most consistent, young, properly trained players comes out and says that he loves it here can we put the blood thirsty firing mobs/tactics pros on hold for a bit and wait to see what happens?

ManUtd4ever
07-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Ok - as a point of clarification I think most people would say Peterson is a guy who is capable of playing in the league and doing a job, not really anything beyond that.

As for the comment about fundamental skills, I can't say that I disagree. But here's the kicker, how much footballer do you get for an average MLS salary? Can Winter replace the players he considers inadequate with ones that have the characteristics he wants to successfully build his system? In the end that's going to tell us whether Winter or Peterson was right.

A very valid question.

In the short term, we will soon be able to determine if the recent player acquisitions will address the previous shortcomings of the roster within the budgetary confines of the MLS salary cap.

Long term, the philishophical approach will stem from the Academy, and will also provide cost certainty for players that are technically adept enough to graduate to the first team.

JonO
07-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Yes, you're right, it is possible to buy a player - but like you said it would occupy a DP spot. And definitely also right about the rest you said. Eckers is great, but not worth DP money.

Doesn't have to be made a dp, but the transfer fee is divided by length of contract and applied to the cap. That is why many of these types of players have to count as a dp. If allocation money could be used (and is available) then it may not require a dp spot

PopePouri
07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Do they have to negotiate a buyout? Why can't TFC/MLS and Burnley talk things over to get him on the free. If he's on Burnleys payroll and hasn't expressed a desire to recall him, it would be beneficial for both clubs.

ryan
07-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Pray everyday he's bought. My favourite Red ever.

dupont
07-30-2011, 10:11 AM
So far, he is getting my vote for TFC player of the year.

TFCtoMUFC
07-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Do they have to negotiate a buyout? Why can't TFC/MLS and Burnley talk things over to get him on the free. If he's on Burnleys payroll and hasn't expressed a desire to recall him, it would be beneficial for both clubs.

I've heard rumblings that we may get him on free because most of the transfer fee for him would be paid to United not Burnley.

Chevy
07-30-2011, 10:16 AM

True. This is the wild card for any loan deal in MLS. To satisfy the critera of including a purchase price, the loaning club could simply set an outrageous fee, effectively ensuring the player returns.

Suds
07-30-2011, 10:45 AM

I'd argue that if there is any outfield player that had more respect of the supporters than Gordon it would be Ecks.

So what now?

Now that one of our most consistent, young, properly trained players comes out and says that he loves it here can we put the blood thirsty firing mobs/tactics pros on hold for a bit and wait to see what happens?

what would be the fun in that? :D

TFCin110
07-30-2011, 11:42 AM
I am not trying to start a flame war by saying this....I am just wondering what the "Winter can't coach" camp, which took Gordon's comments and ran with it, have to say about Eckersley comments? Here is a proven highly skilled player telling us something completely different from what lesser players have told us.

Anyway, the one thing I found interesting is that he says how Winter tells them to express themselves on the pitch. I think maybe Ecks relates to that more because that is the MUFC phillosophy. That was the exact team talk Sir Matt Busby gave his his players.

prizby
07-30-2011, 11:48 AM
What Priz? Forgot who reported it. The player himself is quoted. He wants to stay.

I hope they can make it happen.

i was trying to be sarcastic :s

Chevy
07-30-2011, 02:14 PM
I am not trying to start a flame war by saying this....I am just wondering what the "Winter can't coach" camp, which took Gordon's comments and ran with it, have to say about Eckersley comments? Here is a proven highly skilled player telling us something completely different from what lesser players have told us.

Anyway, the one thing I found interesting is that he says how Winter tells them to express themselves on the pitch. I think maybe Ecks relates to that more because that is the MUFC phillosophy. That was the exact team talk Sir Matt Busby gave his his players.

Answer - the same thing "they" have to say when anything goes RIGHT with the club:

**crickets**

Waggy
07-30-2011, 03:19 PM

So what now?

All any of those quotes mean is Ecks is an idiot who doesn't know football, obviously. Winter is clearly a failure as a head coach. His tactics are an abomination. It rains at BMO too often. Or not enough. I want more day games. No, more night games. And cheeseburgers, cheeseburgers for all! If people couldn't complain about MLSE they might actually have to try and find the real reasons they're so unhappy with life, and no-one wants to do that kind of intraspection.

In seriousness the whole story great to read. Hope we can find a way to make his stay here a little more permanent. If less technically skilled players are butt hurt that they were cut from the team, so be it. John, if you want another idea- how about asking some of the more... seasoned TFC players if they feel the locker room attitude has changed, what the general atmosphere amongst the players is now and how far along they think the new system is? Much more interesed in the real QBs opinion then 50 armchair QBs

TFCin110
07-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Along the same lines, if some players are upset that training has become more difficult then quite frankly those aren't the players I want here. I want the coaching staff to make it difficult, if it was easy everyone would do it. It creates a competition for places and makes players better.

ag futbol
07-30-2011, 05:10 PM
He's also still on the team, but at the same time nobody asked him to stick his neck out.

Chevy
07-30-2011, 05:20 PM
All any of those quotes mean is Ecks is an idiot who doesn't know football, obviously. Winter is clearly a failure as a head coach. His tactics are an abomination. It rains at BMO too often. Or not enough. I want more day games. No, more night games. And cheeseburgers, cheeseburgers for all! If people couldn't complain about MLSE they might actually have to try and find the real reasons they're so unhappy with life, and no-one wants to do that kind of intraspection.

In seriousness the whole story great to read. Hope we can find a way to make his stay here a little more permanent. If less technically skilled players are butt hurt that they were cut from the team, so be it. John, if you want another idea- how about asking some of the more... seasoned TFC players if they feel the locker room attitude has changed, what the general atmosphere amongst the players is now and how far along they think the new system is? Much more interesed in the real QBs opinion then 50 armchair QBs

Wow. Very harsh, funny, and sadly very true.

rocker
07-30-2011, 06:55 PM
So..... Eckersley wasn't one of the young players Gordon was talking about who couldn't understand the system. LOL.

maninb
08-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Certainly good to know...but the whole deal is still in the hands of Burnley....

Canary10
08-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I know this thread isn't about Winter's coaching per se, but just to expand on that part a bit, I thought it was telling that Winter was the first one out to greet and console Kocis after the first leg of the Champions League. (Frei being the next). That says a lot to me.

jloome
08-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Answer - the same thing "they" have to say when anything goes RIGHT with the club:

**crickets**

Most of those guys, as much as I enjoy chatting and debating with them, are type-a, success-driven guys who want the same for the club.

I don't begrudge them that, but I also think it would be overly optimistic to expect any real humility or other (falsely) perceived sign of weakness -- particularly when we still only have three league wins.

One of the unfortunate trappings of success is that, still beholden to the security of community like any normal person, they begin looking for reasons why others aren't also successful quickly and drawing premature conclusions about character and ability, with too little info to work on.

It's behind a lot of conservative contempt for people less fortunate than they, with little realization that even the hardest-working person needs lucky breaks and social abilities that others simpy don't get or have. It's the rich guy equivalent of the poor guy who thinks everyone rich was "born with a silver spoon" in their mouths.

Both perspectives are simplistic and foolish, but both forms of resentment colour attitudes towards other forms of success in life -- such as one's football team.

Yohan
08-08-2011, 11:17 AM
So doing a little more reading on Eck and apparently Burnley had to pay 500000 quid in compensation to Man U for him. Hmmm... You'd think Burnley would want to get some of that money back for Eck if he's available on transfer. I think this makes a little more sense why Eck is only here on loan as the transfer fee is probably set too high for TFC to pay

pepher
08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Would LOVE to see him stay and be a part of the foundation that is a 'back line'...

drewski
08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
probably doesn't mean much, but his kit isn't available on MLS gear

http://www.mlsgearcanada.ca/mls-team-toronto-fc-search-by-player.html

Empirical
08-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I love ecks!

Auzzy
08-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Mariner confirms that they're trying to sign him:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2011/08/11/2615744/paul-mariner-new-look-toronto-fc-changing-for-the-better

Shakes McQueen
08-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Another welcome quote from that article, is that Mariner recognizes they need to add better defenders.

- Scott

69Chevy396
08-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Another welcome quote from that article, is that Mariner recognizes they need to add better defenders.

- Scott
Hope he recognizes the need for him to make better use of his scouting staff when adding new defenders. Iro is a mutt, and this addition should have been assessed more diligently before bringing him here.

Yohan
08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Hope he recognizes the need for him to make better use of his scouting staff when adding new defenders. Iro is a mutt, and this addition should have been assessed more diligently before bringing him here.
Iro is just another depth MLS defender. Doesn't mean he doesn't have his uses, but we can do a lot better than him at CB

maninb
08-12-2011, 07:54 AM

He was a starter on a very good Columbus team...so he certainly was no mutt...however be it lack of confidence or loss of form he hasn't met expectations to be sure...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2011, 08:00 AM
He was a starter on a very good Columbus team...so he certainly was no mutt...however be it lack of confidence or loss of form he hasn't met expectations to be sure...

pretty much this.
as bad as we need a solid CB, this is what we currently have to work with and i dont see anyone coming in anytime soon

Yohan
08-12-2011, 08:35 AM

Chad marshall would make marco velez look good. Columbus also plays pretty defensive style

drexel10
08-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Chad marshall would make marco velez look good. Columbus also plays pretty defensive style

Ding Ding Ding!!!!!

Totally agree here, Chad Marshall can pretty much do it on his own.

sashavukelich
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Chad Marshall has had US Callups, so i wouldn't sell him short so quickly.