PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,July.29

denime
07-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Toronto Adds Marosevic (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/toronto-adds-marosevic)

Reds Make Moves On The Fly (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/reds-make-moves-fly)

Toronto FC acquires Dasan Robinson from Fire (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-acquires-dasan-robinson-from-fire/article2112893/)

Toronto FC hopes to build depth during Champions League run (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1031842--toronto-fc-hopes-to-build-depth-during-champions-league-run)

TFC Swaps Gargan For Robinson (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/tfc-swaps-gargan-robinson)

Reds' lineup gamble dicey (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/28/reds-lineup-gamble-dicey)

Canada's coach accepts extra World Cup obstacle (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/07/28/sp-stephen-hart.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2011, 06:05 AM
Wednesday was a "Horror Show"???

Christ, Media. Try some moderation. You've had your bad stories for most of the year.

Can't wait for tomorrow! World cup draw:canada: than TFC at night!!!:scarf:

Darlofletch
07-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Champions league draw out. (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/7/28/2301695/toronto-fc-potential-champions-league-schedule-partially-released)

well the first two games at least. IF we get through, we'll be in tauro thurs aug 18, then home to dallas or alianza wed aug 24.

Technorgasm
07-29-2011, 07:00 AM
fuck ya. . the draw. . .and the Euro is next summer. . . and I'll be in the UK for the opening of the prem season in 13 fuckin days. . . fuck ya eat it. .

Dear United Kingdom;
I am the bull. . . . . . you are the china shop.
Signed.
TECHNORB.

pekduck
07-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Champions league draw out. (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/7/28/2301695/toronto-fc-potential-champions-league-schedule-partially-released)

well the first two games at least. IF we get through, we'll be in tauro thurs aug 18, then home to dallas or alianza wed aug 24.

damn it.. aug 18th.. i'm in pittsburgh for work and can't go to panama

ensco
07-29-2011, 08:02 AM
On the theory that a good Klinsy rumour is news for us...he is apparently "likely/the top pick/probably" going to be the new USMNT coach

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2888/north-america/2011/07/29/2595561/jurgen-klinsmann-favourite-to-replace-bob-bradley-as-usa

sashavukelich
07-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks D for the news man! I look forward to reading it each morning.

London
07-29-2011, 08:09 AM
fuck ya. . the draw. . .and the Euro is next summer. . . and I'll be in the UK for the opening of the prem season in 13 fuckin days. . . fuck ya eat it. .

Dear United Kingdom;
I am the bull. . . . . . you are the china shop.
Signed.
TECHNORB.

if you don't make the news, then it is a FAILURE:flare:

menefreghista
07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
On the theory that a good Klinsy rumour is news for us...he is apparently "likely/the top pick/probably" going to be the new USMNT coach

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2888/north-america/2011/07/29/2595561/jurgen-klinsmann-favourite-to-replace-bob-bradley-as-usa

Saw this rumour yesterday too.

I wonder if he will have time to still consult for TFC if he takes the job?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 08:13 AM
id be interested in seeing how much consulting hes still doing at this point in the season, kinda feel like its all in Winters/Mariners hands now

Hustle
07-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey Norb...have a good time. Try not to go fullfledged CHUD on their ass over there.

denime
07-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Klinsi will take a job only if he has 100% full control over the national teams programs.Last time USSF wasn't ready to give him control and that was it,he walked away and they hired Bradly.
It will be interesting to see if they are ready now to give him control .
As far TFC goes,his company might help around,but not him directly,at least not officially. ;-)

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 08:28 AM
yeah kinda feel like it might be a conflict of interest.
Im sure dude has it in his contract for situations like this.
He can take credit for bringing Winter/Mariner and Frings, it was Winter that put together the rest (although id be curious to see who pushed for the Academy/u13 stuff)

scooter
07-29-2011, 08:58 AM
mornin d

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Good article by Larson, hes quickly becoming one of my fav writers covering TFC

mdc 77
07-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Good article by Larson, hes quickly becoming one of my fav writers covering TFC

Funny i thoguht it was a poorly written article, sounded more like a post I'd read on here than an article in a newspaper. Then again its the Sun, not sure that is really a "newspaper". Boring and obvious stuff he writes about and other things he just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Instead, the Reds must travel a full team on an exhausting, cross-continent trip into one of the most hostile environments in the tournament

Hostile? Really? What all 4,000 of them? All due respect I'm sure they are a passionate crowd but lets not get carried away, the toughest part will be a shite pitch and the travel.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I dunno man, did you watch the game in el salvador last night?
Dallas' players had to dodge bottles etc, that shit is not uncommon, theres alot less security at games down there

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 09:43 AM
only thing i disagreed with in that article was his concept of the line up (reserves, academy, starters), for the most part we had starters, outside of that i feel he was right

Wull
07-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I disagreed with him on twitter, he felt we only had two chances from Johnson headers and an own goal and a free kick? I swear I was at a different game from a lot of people

mdc 77
07-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I dunno man, did you watch the game in el salvador last night?
Dallas' players had to dodge bottles etc, that shit is not uncommon, theres alot less security at games down there

San Salvador and Esteli are very different places when it comes to football. Also Alianza plays in one of the biggest stadiums in the region, Real Esteli plays in something smaller than Lamport.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Doesnt make the locals any less hostile

Auzzy
07-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Generally I've liked Larson, but I thought that article was WAY off. It made me wonder if he has followed any of the recent team news or watched the game.

He seemed to think Winter purposely put out a less-than-full-strength lineup, and that he was "resting" influential players for Saturday...? Who does he mean? Frei is injured & needs a break. Yes there were two kids on the backline, but considering the shitshow we've seen in defense lately, I don't think they did any worse overall (and in fact better in some aspects). JDG is recovering: we have to be careful with his knee not just for this week, but for the rest of the CCL & the season. Frings & Kouvermans both started and played (almost) the full game. With JDG & Dunfield not fully healthy, Zavarise & Stinson were likely the best available. Although I'm not convinced about them, they have played in other games before, so it's not like TFC wasn't taking this game seriously. Martina and (especially) Plata both did great off the bench, better IMO than when they start.

Santos didn't play -- but as many have said, he probably wouldn't have fit in a way that would have made the team any stronger, unless Kouvermans had had to come out (and in that case, they probably would have left Ryan Johnston in). Anyway, I believe Santos has been carrying knocks, and/or was purposely left out of the lineup after problems in the previous two games. (Again, not a matter of Winter purposely fielding a weak lineup.)

Other than in a few cases where their hand was forced, I think this was likely the best lineup available, and the substitutions seemed to work out well. Based on recent results, trotting out Yourassowsky for 70 minutes, as Larson suggests, would more likely have created some turnovers & gifted Esteli another goal than anything else.

And "limited attack"? "Half-strength side"? "Failed to orchestrate enough quality chances to put the series out of reach"? "Lack of urgency around the penalty area was unsettling as the match moved beyond halftime"? Total BS. Toronto had 73% possession, 22 to 7 in shots, 9 to 3 in shots on goal. The biggest problem was that they didn't finish many golden chances -- e.g., headers sent right at the goalie -- not that they didn't "orchestrate chances." Also, TFC was mostly crap for about the last 20 minutes of the first half, but there was no "lack of urgency" after halftime, they did quite well then.

Lastly, TFC would have loved to test the keeper more with shots (as Larson thought they should have), but Esteli usually had at least 7 guys behind the ball & weren't allowing many shot opportunities from anywhere.

So I don't think that TFC played stellar, but they likely did the best they could with close to the best lineup they could, considering available players & Esteli's tactics -- minus a goal-keeping gaffe & some poor finishing.

mdc 77
07-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Just because they are central americans doesn't mean they are hostile.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Just because they are central americans doesn't mean they are hostile.

thats not at all what im saying.
we can agree to disagree

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 10:37 AM
I cant wait to see the fans throw flowers and gold and women at us on Tues

FreekAce
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
that larson article was shite. get a clue dude.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 01:07 PM
im for the most part positive about the direction we're headed in this season.
Weds game was not that positive to me, we can agree to disagree.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
shit, i thought we played better against KC (except the 20 mins we let in 3 goals) than we did on weds

Technorgasm
07-29-2011, 01:17 PM
if you don't make the news, then it is a FAILURE:flare:

I plan on getting ejected from some classy.. and not so classy places. .I'll do my best! Anfioeld for LFC v Sunderland, Spurs v Man City, Watford v West Ham and Brighton Hove Albion vs ___ ?

Hey Norb...have a good time. Try not to go fullfledged CHUD on their ass over there.

fuck the CHUD. . Im going to snack on some babies! :drinking:

ag futbol
07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I disagreed with him on twitter, he felt we only had two chances from Johnson headers and an own goal and a free kick? I swear I was at a different game from a lot of people
But that's the thing... For all our possession and dominance of that game, the manufacturing of chances was still lacking. Those two Johnson headers stood as the only attempts on net at half.

I wouldn't say that the chances were as meager as he describes them, but it felt a bit like we were "forcing it" in the attacking end. Still waiting to see more one-twos, smart runs, and other things you normally see good attacking teams do to break down sides that are bunkering back on them.

Before Plata, the play coming from the flank was mechanical and generally easy for a well organized side to defend against.

TFCRegina
07-29-2011, 01:35 PM
that larson article was shite. get a clue dude.

Yeah it was so shite, because once again, he's right.

I agree entirely with Larson.

Whoop
07-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Personally I think Kurt Larson is the best writer covering TFC in terms of analysis. From the mainstream media, who does a better job?

I like John Molinaro only because he's the only writer covering TFC that has been able to break stories. Again, who from the mainstream media gets more stories?

As for the game on Wednesday I thought TFC was ok but not great. Should have been way better.

ManUtd4ever
07-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Generally I've liked Larson, but I thought that article was WAY off. It made me wonder if he has followed any of the recent team news or watched the game.

He seemed to think Winter purposely put out a less-than-full-strength lineup, and that he was "resting" influential players for Saturday...? Who does he mean? Frei is injured & needs a break. Yes there were two kids on the backline, but considering the shitshow we've seen in defense lately, I don't think they did any worse overall (and in fact better in some aspects). JDG is recovering: we have to be careful with his knee not just for this week, but for the rest of the CCL & the season. Frings & Kouvermans both started and played (almost) the full game. With JDG & Dunfield not fully healthy, Zavarise & Stinson were likely the best available. Although I'm not convinced about them, they have played in other games before, so it's not like TFC wasn't taking this game seriously. Martina and (especially) Plata both did great off the bench, better IMO than when they start.

Santos didn't play -- but as many have said, he probably wouldn't have fit in a way that would have made the team any stronger, unless Kouvermans had had to come out (and in that case, they probably would have left Ryan Johnston in). Anyway, I believe Santos has been carrying knocks, and/or was purposely left out of the lineup after problems in the previous two games. (Again, not a matter of Winter purposely fielding a weak lineup.)

Other than in a few cases where their hand was forced, I think this was likely the best lineup available, and the substitutions seemed to work out well. Based on recent results, trotting out Yourassowsky for 70 minutes, as Larson suggests, would more likely have created some turnovers & gifted Esteli another goal than anything else.

And "limited attack"? "Half-strength side"? "Failed to orchestrate enough quality chances to put the series out of reach"? "Lack of urgency around the penalty area was unsettling as the match moved beyond halftime"? Total BS. Toronto had 73% possession, 22 to 7 in shots, 9 to 3 in shots on goal. The biggest problem was that they didn't finish many golden chances -- e.g., headers sent right at the goalie -- not that they didn't "orchestrate chances." Also, TFC was mostly crap for about the last 20 minutes of the first half, but there was no "lack of urgency" after halftime, they did quite well then.

Lastly, TFC would have loved to test the keeper more with shots (as Larson thought they should have), but Esteli usually had at least 7 guys behind the ball & weren't allowing many shot opportunities from anywhere.

So I don't think that TFC played stellar, but they likely did the best they could with close to the best lineup they could, considering available players & Esteli's tactics -- minus a goal-keeping gaffe & some poor finishing.

I couldn't agree more.

rocker
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM
And "limited attack"? "Half-strength side"? "Failed to orchestrate enough quality chances to put the series out of reach"? "Lack of urgency around the penalty area was unsettling as the match moved beyond halftime"? Total BS. Toronto had 73% possession, 22 to 7 in shots, 9 to 3 in shots on goal. The biggest problem was that they didn't finish many golden chances -- e.g., headers sent right at the goalie -- not that they didn't "orchestrate chances." Also, TFC was mostly crap for about the last 20 minutes of the first half, but there was no "lack of urgency" after halftime, they did quite well then..

Yeah, everything you say is correct. Larson's article is riddled with observations that suggest he was either not watching the whole game carefully or was consuming alcohol in the press box.

I can't take anything he says in that article seriously, particularly the overall thrust of the piece, when he's so far off on his observations about the actual match.

He's trying to justify his overall point about the lineup with "evidence" that's just a set of opinions that aren't even close to being plausible to those who attended the match.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
There really is 0 grey areas with this forum isnt there

ryan
07-29-2011, 02:24 PM

I find it funny that the forum itself is grey.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2011, 02:31 PM
I find it funny that the forum itself is grey.

HAHAHA no kidding.

rocker
07-29-2011, 02:41 PM

I don't think the Toronto Sun has ever had a "grey area." ;)