PDA

View Full Version : Reserves in Portland?

07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Just wondering if we might be able to play the reserves in Portland, and put the strongest side possible on the field in Nicaragua?

It may be overkill, but let's make sure we finish this off and progress in the only competition we have left.

We have a 0.043% chance of making the MLS playoffs this season.

If we were to play the rest of the season 2,000 times over, we would succeed once.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html

The season is over. I'm sure the team will use the time to gel for next season, and of course, I'm all for pride and playing competitive football, but assuming we won't be playing our best XI in Portland, Esteli AND DC, can we please give the importance to the middle match?

If we put 5 in the net that night, then so be it. There's no such thing as overkill in the only match that matters this year.

Fort York Redcoat
07-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Yes please. Anybody want a rest? Take it Saturday. You've got a game Tuesday.

menefreghista
07-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes, play the reserves.

Although I would consider giving Frings and Koevermans a half each in their attempt to gain proper fitness.

flamehawk
07-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Agree completely. I gave up on the league ages ago. Just use these matches as an opportunity to give experience to the young ones.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Yes pls.
I understand that Winter wants to win every game but certainly he realizes the importance of CCL at this point.

RedsYNWA
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree send the kids to Portland the Champions League is priority

menefreghista
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
By the way, the return leg is on Tuesday.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if they did trot out a few of our main guys simply because they need to gel OR if they trotted out the same team as last nights WITH the rest of our first 11 against Real Estali (ie our entire first 11 against Real Estali). Although theyd be tired theyd be gelling and then play reserves again against DCU

KGH
07-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I doubt management agrees. If we mail in the rest of the year and don't end on a high note it would only contribute to crappy STH renewal and the possibility that they'll have to drop prices...which is the last thing management wants to do. However, ending the year on a winning streak could/would at least give them the opportunity to "sell" the potential for next season and keep prices at least flat.

Yohan
07-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I'd imagine the morale of the team would take a hit if it feels like the team gave up on MLS league play

Fort York Redcoat
07-28-2011, 10:19 AM
By the way, the return leg is on Tuesday.

Thank you. Updated and committed to memory.:)

Fort York Redcoat
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I doubt management agrees. If we mail in the rest of the year and don't end on a high note it would only contribute to crappy STH renewal and the possibility that they'll have to drop prices...which is the last thing management wants to do. However, ending the year on a winning streak could/would at least give them the opportunity to "sell" the potential for next season and keep prices at least flat.

Not what the OP proposed.

Portland is not the rest of the season. There will be games that aren't around the CCL we could see giving our all for.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 10:27 AM
I'd imagine the morale of the team would take a hit if it feels like the team gave up on MLS league play

very good point. I bet theyd rather run ragged than give up a league game.

07-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Not what the OP proposed.

Portland is not the rest of the season. There will be games that aren't around the CCL we could see giving our all for.

Exactly. I wouldn't give up on the rest of the season, by any means. But if tough decisions have to be made when filling out a starting XI, I would give the importance to the games with meaning.

I'm not saying that anyone should give up, or concede anything.

As for selling seasons tickets, I would hope a Champions League knockout tie in March 2012 would help keep fans interest, as opposed to moving from 17th to 14th in the standings.

james
07-28-2011, 03:41 PM
ya, rest the players on saturday. Season is done, with no relegation who cares if we finnish in last, lets have are best team out on tuesday in a game that actually has meanning.

prizby
07-28-2011, 05:13 PM
i agree but im also worried about playing our stars on the poor central american pitch