PDA

View Full Version : Pre Game: Jul 27- Toronto FC v Real Esteli 8pm

bman27
07-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Did a quick look for a pre game thread and didn't see one so here we go!

What version of TFC will we see from last game, the confidence and chances of the first 25 minutes, or the shit storm that followed?

in a perfect world I would love to get a good 2-0, 3-0 win out of this, get our chances at home and attempt to shut them down in their stadium in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully we see the return of jdg and the premiere of dunfield this game as well I don't mind the look of this line up, hoping that our back four will get better with a chance to gel a bit more:

-------------------Frei------------------------
Ecks-------Viator-------Iro-----Yourassowsky-----
-----------------------------------------------
------JDG--------Frings------------Dunfield----
---Plata----------Koov--------------Johnson----

I dont see the need to be resting any players as at this point, I would hope that the team sees the CCL as a better opportunity for success then the league at this point.

brad
07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I suspect that is the lineup we will see, except I think Harden will be in for Viator.

pekduck
TFC/MLS quoted JDG ready for 30 min and Dunfield is fit to play. So I think we may still see Sturgis starting and have JDG in later or vice versa.

brad
Oh, and there have been hints that Kocic will play

bman27
07-26-2011, 07:44 PM
I suspect that is the lineup we will see, except I think Harden will be in for Viator.

I think you probably will be right, considering Dan is gone, in might be a last chance look for Harden to prove himself, All though I am interested in seeing what Viator can do at center back, he definitely has better Athletic ability then Ty and I feel he might look better there then at full back where he looked nervous and imo seemed to be trying to do too much on the ball.

Suds
07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know much about this team? I've done some searches but have only found basic info on Wikipedia and their is not much on their site.

Seems they have been one of the top teams in their country for some time though - whatever that means.

backbeat
07-26-2011, 08:03 PM
I hope something like this with Plata coming on in the 60th minute - i like Soolams's play and crosses down the right

-------------------Kocic------------------------

Ecks-------Henry-------Iro-----Yourassowsky----

------------Frings------------Dunfield-------------

----------------------JDG-----------------------------

---Soolsma-----------------------------Johnson----

-------------------Koevermans---------------------------

Sturgis, Plata, Viator, Stinson, Martina, Santos

redcard
07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Did a quick look for a pre game thread and didn't see one so here we go!

What version of TFC will we see from last game, the confidence and chances of the first 25 minutes, or the shit storm that followed?

in a perfect world I would love to get a good 2-0, 3-0 win out of this, get our chances at home and attempt to shut them down in their stadium in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully we see the return of jdg and the premiere of dunfield this game as well I don't mind the look of this line up, hoping that our back four will get better with a chance to gel a bit more:

-------------------Frei------------------------
Ecks-------Viator-------Iro-----Yourassowsky-----
------JDG--------Frings------------Dunfield----
---Plata----------Koov--------------Johnson----

I dont see the need to be resting any players as at this point, I would hope that the team sees the CCL as a better opportunity for success then the league at this point.

i would like to see martina in at some point...i have a feeling he will give koov the service that he needs...

ManUtd4ever
07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Real Esteli is the 10 time domestic champion of Nicaragua. In CCL history, Real Esteli has made one appearance in 2008, losing to Montreal on aggregate in the preliminary qualifier. TFC should definitely have an advantage in terms of overall skill, but Real Esteli will field a squad that has a greater sense of familiarity. TFC will have to avoid mental lapses defensively in order to avoid conceding any costly away goals to the opposition, but the revamped offense should lead to victory.

TFC 2 Real Esteli 1

jloome
07-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I hope something like this with Plata coming on in the 60th minute - i like Soolams's play and crosses down the right

-------------------Kocic------------------------

Ecks-------Henry-------Iro-----Yourassowsky----

------------Frings------------Dunfield-------------

----------------------JDG-----------------------------

---Soolsma-----------------------------Johnson----

-------------------Koevermans---------------------------

Sturgis, Plata, Viator, Stinson, Martina, Santos

That's really good. All three mids can play two ways, though, so I'd play them flat, instead of as a diamond, with the central being the most common going forward but just as able to drop back and cover for one of the others.

Edit: And I'd play Dunfield in the centre. He's more prone to errors in marking, so should be the first choice to go forward and supply, which he was pretty good at in Vancouver, anyway.

Dreadlocks
07-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Looks like Seattle has lost the first leg away 1-0 in Panama vs San Francisco

denime
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
TFC/MLS quoted JDG ready for 30 min and Dunfield is fit to play. So I think we may still see Sturgis starting and have JDG in later or vice versa.

Midfielder Terry Dunfield, recently acquired from Vancouver, also is ready to play in Wednesday’s match.

Head coach Aron Winter said that Milos Kocic will likely start in goal for Toronto. Stefan Frei has played every minute of every match this season and has a hand injury.

De Guzman, who has had swelling in the left knee that underwent surgery in the off-season, is fit to play in Wednesday’s opening preliminary stage match at BMO Field against Real Estelí of Nicaragua.The midfielder feels he is ready to play about 30 minutes on Wednesday after resuming training this week.

Yeah,it looks like they are ready for tomorrow.

the-lower-eastsider
07-26-2011, 09:17 PM
so what are the seating arrangements? where are all the nicaraguans sitting? sec 105? is the south stand still gonna be mainly TFC support?
craiger

bman27
07-26-2011, 10:07 PM
so what are the seating arrangements? where are all the nicaraguans sitting? sec 105? is the south stand still gonna be mainly TFC support?
craiger

What is the size of the nicaraguan community in toronto? Cruz Azul was the only team we have played in the ccl to really draw a noticeable away crowd, personally I don't see it being any different then most games

menefreghista
07-26-2011, 10:18 PM
One advantage TFC will have is that Real Esteli is in their pre-season.

Although I'm not sure if the recent turnover sort of negates that.

denime
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
One advantage TFC will have is that Real Estelli is in their pre-season.

So true,we are in 2nd week of summer training camp. :(

cmonyoureds
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
A better question, what's the estimate on crowd size for this game in total......

I can see us trying to play the "possession football" on this one to not give away a goal and slowing this to a 0-0 draw. Especially if the perfecter of the sideways pass - JDG - gets any significant amount of playing time.

menefreghista
07-26-2011, 10:24 PM
I know I'm going to jinx it now, but even under the circumstances, TFC should have no problems over the two legs. They just need to stay organized and wait for their chances.

I remember watching the two matches Esteli played against the Impact and they did not look good at all. I'm sure not much has changed in the level of Nicaraguan club football in 3 years. If Montreal hadn't of played so conservatively and so timid they could have embarrassed Esteli.

Of course this doesn't account for poor CONCACAF reffing.

gmacpheetfc
07-26-2011, 10:32 PM
i hope the south end is rocking! bringing 20+ ppl down

bman27
07-26-2011, 10:35 PM
I know I'm going to jinx it now, but even under the circumstances, TFC should have no problems over the two legs. They just need to stay organized and wait for their chances.

I remember watching the two matches Esteli played against the Impact and they did not look good at all. I'm sure not much has changed in the level of Nicaraguan club football in 3 years. If Montreal hadn't of played so conservatively and so timid they could have embarrassed Esteli.

Of course this doesn't account for poor CONCACAF reffing.

Well, our poor concacaf ref for the evening is none other then our good friend Ricardo Salazar, MLS' finest :facepalm:

hey at least we already know he is going to be shit right?
here is his stats going into this game:

SALAZAR, RICARDO games-12 yellows-35 yellows per game-2.92 reds-3 reds per game- 0.25

Borga
07-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Are they really going to play Kocic? If they didn't start him in the second leg vs. Edmonton, why would they start him here?

bman27
07-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Are they really going to play Kocic? If they didn't start him in the second leg vs. Edmonton, why would they start him here?

apparently Stefan is nursing a little bit of a arm/hand injury, I seem to remember him looking in quite some pain after one of the goals against Kansas city, so I can see why they would be resting him if they feel they don't need him in there.

Roogsy
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
One advantage TFC will have is that Real Esteli is in their pre-season.

It depends on what you consider "preseason". As far as I can remember, Nicaragua has a similar structure to other Latin-based leagues with an Apertura and a Clausura. If I am not mistaken, they played as recently as mid-June so they may be a bit rusty, but their preseason is markedly shorter than ours.

menefreghista
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM
It depends on what you consider "preseason". As far as I can remember, Nicaragua has a similar structure to other Latin-based leagues with an Apertura and a Clausura. If I am not mistaken, they played as recently as mid-June so they may be a bit rusty, but their preseason is markedly shorter than ours.

Well. They are/were on a break. Meaning they shouldn't be in mid-season form.

I'm not sure if the 2011 Apertura season started yet. The 2010 Apertura started the week of July 25 so I would assume their first league game is this weekend?

Edit: I actually managed to find it, the Nicaraguan Apertura starts on August 7th: http://www.fenifut.org.ni/noticias/dos-jornadas-en-mi%C3%A9rcoles%E2%80%A6--siempre-ocho-equipos-.aspx

menefreghista
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Well, our poor concacaf ref for the evening is none other then our good friend Ricardo Salazar, MLS' finest :facepalm:

hey at least we already know he is going to be shit right?
here is his stats going into this game:

SALAZAR, RICARDO games-12 yellows-35 yellows per game-2.92 reds-3 reds per game- 0.25

According to this article, even the Esteli coach is worried about him:

http://www.fenifut.org.ni/noticias/real-esteli-viaja-a-torontojugara-de-azul-y-blanco-.aspx

My Spanish is nearly non-existent, but it sounds like Esteli has been doing some scouting: "De Salazar sabemos que es muy rígido y que saca muchas tarjetas amarilla, lo cual ya hablamos con los muchachos"

The article also mentions that they've been watching tapes of TFC play.

colman1860
07-26-2011, 11:51 PM
This talk of Salazar giving so many yellows is pretty much bullshit. 2.98/game? How is that at all out of the ordinary?

Inklink
07-27-2011, 12:10 AM
So this game is only on Setanta?

Better be on free preview. Otherwise, do these fuckers ever stop trying to alienate people who want to watch the team on TV? Moving from widely available channels to GOLTV to Setanta? Unbelievable.

GBV
07-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Toronto is a huge favourite at the books.

Pinnacle has them at -292. Woah.

Esteli is +950.

Draw is +425.

mdc 77
07-27-2011, 06:30 AM
3-0 tfc.

RedsYNWA
07-27-2011, 06:33 AM
2-0 or more for TFC

Real Esteli will be squashed

Fort York Redcoat
07-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Bad refs, smaller crowds. Don't care. CANNOT wait for Champions league tonight!!!

kodiakTFC
07-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Can't make it tonight because of my girlfriend's birthday (pretty selfish of her). I saw Real Esteli play MTL in 08 and the quality was pretty awful. I can't see TFC losing or even drawing this game..

3-1 TFC infront of 5400 fans.

*****The guy who scored for San Fran against Seattle in the CCL prelim yesterday? None other than Roberto Brown.

brad
07-27-2011, 07:36 AM
So this game is only on Setanta?

Better be on free preview. Otherwise, do these fuckers ever stop trying to alienate people who want to watch the team on TV? Moving from widely available channels to GOLTV to Setanta? Unbelievable.

Sportsnet have the rights, and they bumped it - not TFC's doing.

ManUtd4ever
07-27-2011, 08:57 AM
As an alternative for everyone watching the game at home tonight, you can call your local service provider and order Setanta today and then cancel it tomorrow. At $15.00/month, the actual cost will end up being 50 cents to watch the CCL live in HD. Just a thought.

dupont
07-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I hope JDG plays today. I still think he's a good player even if not playing to his potential.

Couchy81
07-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Pumped for tonight. 3rd game of the new squad together vs. a likely weaker opponent, we should see some magic.

Alixir
07-27-2011, 09:36 AM
can't wait for the game tonight...finally I have no schedule so I can actually watch a ga.....oh thats right its on fucking Setanta. My care meter just keeps getting lower and lower.

liv4evr
07-27-2011, 09:36 AM
As an alternative for everyone watching the game at home tonight, you can call your local service provider and order Setanta today and then cancel it tomorrow. At $15.00/month, the actual cost will end up being 50 cents to watch the CCL live in HD. Just a thought.

Rogers requires a 4 month term to order...it's a good channel though if you are a fan of the Npower championship at all.

Couchy81
07-27-2011, 09:55 AM
According to MLS site the game is also being shown on FOX Soccer channel

Roogsy
07-27-2011, 09:56 AM
That would be the American version, not Fox Sports Canada.

__wowza
07-27-2011, 09:57 AM
THIS PHOTO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TONIGHT'S GAME:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/62134/1927975-img_5938_super.jpg

Couchy81
07-27-2011, 09:59 AM
That would be the American version, not Fox Sports Canada.

Ahh I thought they were the same. Well at least there's more chance of a stream being posted online.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that tonight, I'll be down by the lake doin some of this :drinking: and some of this :scarf: , wish i could be doin this :flare: but it's all good.

ag futbol
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Doesn't concacaf free stream these games on their website at times?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-27-2011, 10:04 AM
if people want a stream ill pm one to people before the game when im home, there should be several out there if im not mistaken

maninb
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM
3-0 TFC......Let's get some momentum going lads!!!

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Rogers has a policy that adding channels can be done immediately, but "their system doesn't allow" for dropping prior to the end of the billing cycle. Cocksuckers.

mastermixer
07-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Seriously... I wonder what the attendance figures will be tonight. It will be a real litmus test of the demand for this team right now. I'm going to guess 12,000 at the most.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
i wouldnt be surprised if it was.
hope it kicks some sense into MLSE re: CCL games

Section225
07-27-2011, 10:43 AM
http://myp2p.eu will have stream links

KGH
07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
i wouldnt be surprised if it was.
hope it kicks some sense into MLSE re: CCL games

But why?? This game is all gravy.

dupont
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Seriously... I wonder what the attendance figures will be tonight. It will be a real litmus test of the demand for this team right now. I'm going to guess 12,000 at the most.

It will be pretty low since this game isn't tied to season tickets.... but I expect the supporters to be louder than usual since that normally happens at this type of game.

mdc 77
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the club go forward in this tourney, and I could careless about attendance. I'd love it to be over capacity at BMO but fact is all over the world these prelim. champions league matches are not well attended. I'd guess that Ibrox was maybe 50% capacity for yesterdays match.

brad
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
But why?? This game is all gravy.

Most people don't care about the CCL (obviously this doesn't apply to folks around here)
People are disillusioned with the team
People don't want to spend more money than they already have

That said, I predict around 8,000 in there with an announced attendance of 15k.

TFCREDNWHITE
07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Ill b there! I'm also bringing 6 of my friends, I'm paying, thats how much I love this team and my friends! Lol

West220Side
07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Frei OUT
Kocic IN

as per Winters pregame interview.

Pachuco
07-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Cogeco doesn't let you do that. You have to have it for 3 months if you order it. Not sure how the others work.

TFCRegina
07-27-2011, 12:39 PM
It's on Setanta tonight.

I'll be viewing via adthetanta

RedsYNWA
07-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Beautiful weather
no line ups
loud REAL fans
& a good result--------------LOVE IT

maninb
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Will be at the pub in 2 hours with my girl...wrapped in TFC Red...and getting PRIMED!!! If we manage to screw the pooch this time I think I'm DONE!!!

kodiakTFC
07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
For me, this is Koevermans night to shine, he needs to show us he can score and what better opportunity than playing against a minnow whom we'll likely dominate in posession.

Roogsy
07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Nicaraguans are on average smaller than your typical European and given Koeverman's height, he does have that advantage.

However, if they exploit their smallness and speed against our backline, we're screwed. This needs to be a game of physical dominance because technically, we're not going to beat them.

pekduck
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Nicaraguans are on average smaller than your typical European and given Koeverman's height, he does have that advantage.

However, if they exploit their smallness and speed against our backline, we're screwed. This needs to be a game of physical dominance because technically, we're not going to beat them.

I still think it all comes down to referees tonight.

Koevemans, Frings, Johson, Iro and Yourassowsky will run through diving Nicaraguans like a freight train. If we have flaky ref, we may have 5 yellows and 1 red from tonight's match.

Roogsy
07-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Koevemans, Frings, Johson, Iro and Yourassowsky will run through diving Nicaraguans like a freight train. If we have flaky ref, we may have 5 yellows and 1 red from tonight's match.

Unfortunately this is definitely a factor.

sashavukelich
07-27-2011, 01:36 PM

+1 well done.

TFCwestcan
07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
All this talk about "minnows" no mattter how realistic makes me a tad nervous, after all this is a team that has not seen a victory in a few weeks.

It will be interesting to see Plata tonight.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-27-2011, 01:54 PM
cards are without a doubt my biggest concern

swan
07-27-2011, 03:54 PM
for those of use that are in the states they are showing this game on fox soccer..

Carts
07-27-2011, 04:06 PM
for those of use that are in the states they are showing this game on fox soccer..

HELLS YEAH!

I'm going to a pub for dinner at 7pm - I wonder how much I'll have to tip the bartender to put it on...?

I figure I'm saving money not being at BMO, so if I have to slip him a $20, why not...

Carts...

Thomas
07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Really looking forward to tonight's match. Go you Reds!

Suds
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM
If Santos crushes another beer of mine instead of scoring I'm gonna be pissed!

TFC07
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM
How much are the tickets going to cost? I might actually go this game if the tickets are cheap.

Suds
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
HELLS YEAH!

I'm going to a pub for dinner at 7pm - I wonder how much I'll have to tip the bartender to put it on...?

I figure I'm saving money not being at BMO, so if I have to slip him a $20, why not...

Carts...

What pub? We'll meet ya after. No tequila this week. I promise! :D

redcard
07-27-2011, 04:17 PM

careful if you do this, because there may be a 4 month min subscription required...so even if you order and cancel you may still be stuck for the entire 4 months of fees...

Oldtimer
07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
It's on Setanta tonight.

I'll be viewing via adthetanta

radio will be on FAN590.com (online only).

CBTFC
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Really looking forward to tonight's match

Same here! I was at the game against Dallas last week and unfortunately couldn't watch the KC match, but despite those 2 results I have a feeling that we're gonna take this one tonight.

Wish I was heading down there but not meant to be. Gonna enjoy the couch, fridge and private bathroom for this one ;)

:scarf:

rocktml
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
So 15,000 for tonights game?

dupont
07-27-2011, 05:18 PM
I am eating a medium rare leg of lamb to get my energy level up for this game! :)

Need to be in full voice!

Carts
07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
What pub? We'll meet ya after. No tequila this week. I promise! :D

YOU ARE EVIL! :D

Croakers Pub on the Pier - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina... :drinking:

brad
07-27-2011, 06:09 PM
#TFC XI: Kocic; Eckersley, Henry, Iro, Morgan; Frings, Stinson, Johnson; Soolsma, Koevermans, Zavarise ..

Cas87
07-27-2011, 06:10 PM
#TFC XI: Kocic; Eckersley, Henry, Iro, Morgan; Frings, Stinson, Johnson; Soolsma, Koevermans, Zavarise ..

So Winter is holding out for the league still?

This is a lineup that screams "hold until saturday, see what we do, then next week we may go full strength"

Alixir
07-27-2011, 06:21 PM
So Winter is holding out for the league still?

This is a lineup that screams "hold until saturday, see what we do, then next week we may go full strength"why...the season is a write off. might as well try to go as far in CCL as we can.

Heart of Stone
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
In many ways, tonight's game is the most important game of the year. Lose and all is lost until March, 2012 (8 months of Toronto not paying any attention to TFC). Win and there's still hope in the immediate future.

swan
07-27-2011, 06:35 PM
why...the season is a write off. might as well try to go as far in CCL as we can.

i think he was saying that because of the line-up posted..

Empirical
07-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Never has it been more clear how important seasons tickets are to this clubs revenue. This stadium is (and thus would be) otherwise.

mclaren
07-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Spotted at tonight's game:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vkpyMehRPHg/TiWv9VBHtfI/AAAAAAAAEB8/Z6bhXd94M7Y/s1600/tumbleweed_small.jpg

Empirical
07-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Lots of Spanish ads around the stadium. Companies that do not exist here lots of ppl watching in Latin world I guess

Flipityflu
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
I am eating a medium rare leg of lamb to get my energy level up for this game! :)

Need to be in full voice!

its lamb or bacon on match day. i've had both :)

Empirical
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
It's nice to ba able to say and this is a big if but if TFC is successful. Thar I wasnt a fair-weather fan and was even here for te real esteli game amist a period of the most justified disspointment and not giving a fuck abor the team

SamK
07-27-2011, 06:51 PM
any online streams for the game?

Empirical
07-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Thier sponsor bimbo makes some skechy bread once I left it out for a week in a hot climate and it looked new. No mould.

On the other hand their other sponsor. Movistar has the best cell service in Latin America.

TFCmatty
07-27-2011, 06:54 PM
http://atdhe.ws/live.php?v=event_id%3D56295%26tid%3D195272%26chann el%3D0%26layout%3Dpopup%26Itemid%3D207.html

werewolf
07-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Could have played this match at Lamport.

C.Barrett19
07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
http://anotherhomer.yolasite.com/

Oldtimer
07-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Game thread:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29042