PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

bgnewf
07-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Perspective

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/07/perspective/

Some what I hope is perspective on the loss in KC on the weekend, the need for more pride in wearing the badge, stubborn tactics from our coach and the release of Dan Gargan.

prizby
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
does releasing gargan really open up $35k? what happened to the guaranteed contract the players were supposively getting in the new cba?

MG42
07-26-2011, 05:11 PM
does releasing gargan really open up $35k? what happened to the guaranteed contract the players were supposively getting in the new cba?

There are guaranteed and semi-guaranteed contracts.

(III.) METHODS OF RELEASING PLAYERS

(A) WAIVERS

Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the team salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on semi-guaranteed contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space. If a player on a semi-guaranteed contract is waived after July 1, his salary budget charge will count against the team’s salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms. Any settlement amount will be charged to the team’s salary budget.

(B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS

An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League (subject to that team’s Federation’s transfer window), subject to the consent of the player.

The registration windows – the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of a player under contract in another country – are as follows:

January 21 – April 15 (Primary Window)
July 15 – August 14 (Secondary Window)

(C) CONTRACT EXPIRATION

When a player’s contract expires, the player does not count against the roster or budget of the team in question. Subject to the Re-Entry Draft rules, a team retains the rights to the player indefinitely following the expiration of a contract only if attempts were made to re-sign the player.

(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT

Teams may have the ability to buyout one guaranteed player as follows:

A Team may buy out one (1) guaranteed player (including a DP’s) contract during the off-season and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the particular MLS Team’s own expense.
A Team may not free up budget space with a buyout of a player’s salary budget charge during the season. Such a buyout will be conducted by the League and count on a Club’s budget in a manner consistent with current MLS guidelines.

I can't see how TFC would gain any money from this...something doesn't make sense.

Maybe Gargan is going to "retire" and take a job as Jimmy B's 4th assistant lol

menefreghista
07-26-2011, 05:12 PM

I think the only way for there to be cap relief is if the release is mutual.

ag futbol
07-26-2011, 05:12 PM
It's limited to players who have been in the league for a certain amount of time.

ryan
07-26-2011, 05:17 PM

I believe you are allowed to drop one player and recoup the salary space or something to that effect?

I'm not sure though but I recall seeing something to that effect.

bgnewf
07-26-2011, 05:22 PM
At the end of the day the 35K might not be the point of releasing him. Having another roster slot that an international player/discovery signing can e used to fill is far and away the most important point.

35k also works out to be around 2% of the remaining cap space for the rest of the season. And if they have allocation remaining (who knows) that put the relatively paltry sum of 35k into some sort of perspective.

menefreghista
07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Having another roster slot that an international player/discovery signing can e used to fill is far and away the most important point.

Aren't we maxed out on internationals though? I'd assume Gargan would have to be replaced by a Canadian or American.