PDA

View Full Version : Houston's new Stadium Virtual Venue

kodiakTFC
07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
http://houstondynamo.io-media.com/

Click on the link to see Houston Dynamo's new stadium. I really like the virtual venue feature and their prices seem fair. The good thing about this stadium is that its directly downtown, right beside their other stadiums.

The stadium seats 22,000 and has the option to be expanded to 30,000. I don't foresee them needing these extra 8000 seats for some time but its nice that the option is there.

Shway
07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
there stadium is top class, they should just make there roof go all the way around like redbull arena....why does everything gotta be half ass

Keystone FC
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I wonder where the visiting fans are put?

drexel10
07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Big improvement in the MLS over the last 5 years. San Jose, New England and DC are the only teams with bad stadium situation. I would add that Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and New England still have turf, so that is still a problem in my mind.

ag futbol
07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
there stadium is top class, they should just make there roof go all the way around like redbull arena....why does everything gotta be half ass
Compared to the others in the league I don't think it's going to be that great. The important thing is that they are getting their own venue.

kodiakTFC
07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Big improvement in the MLS over the last 5 years. San Jose, New England and DC are the only teams with bad stadium situation. I would add that Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and New England still have turf, so that is still a problem in my mind.

San Jose has a site selected, now its just a matter of time. If I was a betting man I'd say by 2015 you'll see San Jose in their new 15000 SSS. New England and DC are worrisome, you hear rumblings here and there but nothing ever substantial. The MLS needs those two markets to succeed, you can't do sports in America without Boston and Washington.

Keystone FC
07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Compared to the others in the league I don't think it's going to be that great. The important thing is that they are getting their own venue.
Technically....Yes, BUT they will share the venue with a Texas college for football (American style):

Aside from Major League Soccer and international soccer matches, the new Dynamo stadium will also host Texas Southern University football, concerts, boxing matches, and much more.

SmokedPanda
07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Virtual Venue is so much better than Seats 3D

Houston's got a nicer stadium then us now as well

ag futbol
07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Technically....Yes, BUT they will share the venue with a Texas college for football (American style):

Aside from Major League Soccer and international soccer matches, the new Dynamo stadium will also host Texas Southern University football, concerts, boxing matches, and much more.
Yeah, i know

getting closer though :facepalm:

Ossington Mental Youth
07-26-2011, 11:04 AM
meh, its ok, nothing special.

Technorgasm
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
better and cheaper then BMO.
congrats to teh orange hordes, you def. deserve it for all the years of leageu leading support.
well done.

Keystone FC
07-26-2011, 11:10 AM
San Jose has a site selected, now its just a matter of time. If I was a betting man I'd say by 2015 you'll see San Jose in their new 15000 SSS. New England and DC are worrisome, you hear rumblings here and there but nothing ever substantial. The MLS needs those two markets to succeed, you can't do sports in America without Boston and Washington.
Yeah...but MLB didn't have a club in DC for a loooooong time (you can't count Baltimore).
The things that worry me about DCU and NER is that DCU are in a place that is about to fall apart and the ownership can't get anyone to budge for help on a new SSS. Baltimore is looking into a SSS for DCU but until then DCU are going to have to wait until someone gets killed falling from the upper deck when the railing gives way.
The NER are in a super wicked situation with an owner who dosen't give a crap about the club or the fans and will tease the fanbase with a Boston SSS rumor every so often. I fear that is someone doesn't buy the Revs from the clutches of their owner then at some point the fans will stop showing up and th efranchise will just fold.
I think SJE just broke ground for their stadium not to long ago:
http://www.sjearthquakes.com/content/stadium-site-demolition-update

ryan
07-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Better and cheaper than BMO....tired of that being the first thought when seeing what other teams have gotten.

Thankfully we don't have a drastically changing climate, nearby lake causing excessive winds which also gobble up crowd songs.....perfect place to be wide open!

Although what the fuck is with the super high railings? Look at a front row seat view from the 2nd level. That shit is retarded. Anyone seated is watching the game from a jail cell view.

BritSOL
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
http://houstondynamo.io-media.com/

Click on the link to see Houston Dynamo's new stadium. I really like the virtual venue feature and their prices seem fair.

Section 205 is $500 and section 206 next to it jumps to $1725. That is quite a price difference. Especially if you in the aisle seat basically next to someone at the next section and paying over 3X for the same view....

Whoop
07-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Nice stadium.

PopePouri
07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
That stadium reminds me how badly BMO was designed. Look how many cheaps seats there are. If the south stand was as big as the west, it wouldn't feel like such a money grab.

TFC Cityboy
07-26-2011, 11:56 AM
it has a roof and looks more like a football stadium than the piece of Meccano shit that we have

nickio
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
BMO field feels like a temporary filler structure when looking at stadiums like this. I still like BMO, because its our home, but it's getting outclassed.

Is south-end expansion possible in theory?

Also it's sad to think that BMO will get improvements only if the team is atleast doing GOOD in the league. By good, I mean 1st or 2nd in the East.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
sure but youd need approval from the gov to do so

kodiakTFC
07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Do we know yet whether or not BMO is getting any money from the Pan Am Games for an upgrade?

Pookie
07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
When the expiration date of the lease approaches, BMO will be an interesting discussion.

Will the team be successful enough that MLSE will want to own it outright? If so, is the current location the best spot for it? Would they revisit sites in the north end of the city (York) or explore new areas based on expanded TTC routes? Would the city give up their share of control of it should they want to keep it there?

15 years to go.

__wowza
07-26-2011, 12:40 PM

what!? how dare they snub the texas art college and their team!
COME ON YOU FIGHTING ACRYLICS!!

menefreghista
07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Do we know yet whether or not BMO is getting any money from the Pan Am Games for an upgrade?

They aren't getting any Pan Am money.

Speaking of the future of BMO Field, in the KPMG report that Rob Ford commissioned, one of the recommendations was to sell of Exhibition lands. If there were to happen, MLSE would actually have a chance to buy BMO Field.

BFin
07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Yep, that's a stadium.

kodiakTFC
07-26-2011, 01:21 PM
After a second look, that much orange is pretty sore on the eyes.

mdc 77
07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
If MLSE was actually going to own this team long term, which they won't...what makes you think they would want to own this stadium?

ryan
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
If MLSE was actually going to own this team long term, which they won't...what makes you think they would want to own this stadium?

Would up the value of the total TFC package when it comes time to sell.

__wowza
07-26-2011, 02:53 PM

http://www.thecitrusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/420guypriceisright.png

mdc 77
07-26-2011, 02:58 PM

MLSE as a whole is not much in the grand scheme of things for the Teachers, I doubt owning BMO field would add any value to the sale...it may do the opposite.

Skinn
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Although what the fuck is with the super high railings?

Don't follow baseball, do you?

ryan
07-26-2011, 05:16 PM

I do, but I don't see that type of stuff happening at a football match.

Put in plexiglass or something, you can't tell me that's a pleasant look for those seats.

Huyton
07-26-2011, 05:40 PM

Put in plexiglass or something, you can't tell me that's a pleasant look for those seats.

I don't. I followed the Jays for years (was in the dome the night they won the World Series for the first time, was in Exhibition Stadium when the won the American League East for the first time), but that stopped when the strike occurred.

So...what's up with the super high railings?

kodiakTFC
07-26-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't. I followed the Jays for years (was in the dome the night they won the World Series for the first time, was in Exhibition Stadium when the won the American League East for the first time), but that stopped when the strike occurred.

So...what's up with the super high railings?

He's referencing the guy who died, he reached for a ball, lost his balance and plunged to his death.

eustacchio
07-26-2011, 08:40 PM
^ two of them this season (mind you one was sliding down a staircase)...earlier this month another one almost fell, but was saved by other fans.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/baseball-fan-saved-death-fall-admits-bad-judgment/story?id=14060488

deltox
07-26-2011, 08:45 PM
how often does a ball get kicked to a second level of stands?

Batman
07-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Has anyone noticed how small the supporters section is? Its only $250 but is 3 tiny areas in the one corner.

It seems like they're taking notes from TFC on the prices too. Generally, pretty pricey.

Skinn
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Neither do I. It's not a pleasant look. And I'm not defending it. The question was, "What's up with the railing?" I'm just saying that given recent events down here, this could very well be an (over?)reaction to it.

glaze
07-26-2011, 09:33 PM
well, they did add grass to BMO, and the north stand (even though its still only metal bleachers). So there is hope that one day they could renovate. After all, it wasn't built to last, renovations may be a neccessity.
Thing is, I don't think MLSE is going to pay for a proper renovation/upgrade, and the city under rob ford sure wont kick in anything.
But in 4 years we do have the women's world cup. unless they decide to put it in the Dome, you'd figure they could squeeze out some funding to have a respectable stadium.

WinterWarrior
07-26-2011, 09:42 PM
the lowest price is $400 US, but there are a lot more seats at that price than there are at BMO from what I can tell maybe thats a good tactic to fill the stadium.

prizby
07-26-2011, 09:49 PM

well if there is 8,000 expansion, meaning you probably have to build up...meaning having a roof in is extra cost when you have to remove it to build up

prizby
07-26-2011, 09:49 PM
the lowest price is $400 US, but there are a lot more seats at that price than there are at BMO from what I can tell maybe thats a good tactic to fill the stadium.

$250 actually...guess thats there supporters section

WinterWarrior
07-26-2011, 10:21 PM
$250 actually...guess thats there supporters section

ah i didnt see those, if BMO was priced like this the sections that arent for supporters wouldnt always be so empty but im guessing

PopePouri
07-26-2011, 10:44 PM
After looking at it again, there's nothing really appealing about it to me. It's look "clunky" if that makes sense. Lots of exposed concrete sections. The roof looks the same, thick and "clunky". At least with BMO there's potential. Our north end is unique and probably one of the better looking parts of the stadium. If they could throw on a roof and take out a lot of the metal bleachers, fix the south and east stands, we could have a good look stadium, as good as SKC IMO.

Cashcleaner
07-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I'm not really blown away by all this either. Don't get me wrong, I tend to prefer simplistic architecture for these types of structures, but it's pretty hoo-hum in my opinion. I don't get why they don't wrap the roof completely around either. I'm sure it will do the job, I'm just not "wowed" by it like I am other MLS stadiums.

kodiakTFC
07-27-2011, 07:37 AM
I agree, I'm not blown away. The stadium just looks bland, very Rio Tinto Stadium for me. The only thing about this place is its location, literally the perfect place for a stadium for the Dynamo. I can't see their attendance being below 20,000 next year.

mdc 77
07-27-2011, 08:11 AM
I can't see their attendance being below 20,000 next year.

Would you like to wager on that?

kodiakTFC
07-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Would you like to wager on that?

Taking a quick look at Houston's attendance..

2011 2010 diff All-time diff
Houston 16902 17061 -0.9% 17245 -2.0%

Houston has a pretty low season ticket holder base and are close to the top of the league in walk-up attendance. Given that the new location and stadium will attract a large about of season ticket holders and given the fact that the large walk-up crowd will only increase based on the better venue/location, I don't see why the team can't reach 20k. If I were to be on it, I'd play it safer and saw bare minimum they go over their alltime attendance and probably in the ballpark of 18500-19000. I believe that 20000 is quite doable though, especially if the management is smart enough to tie in a DP signing or two with the new stadium.

bones
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM
The prices seem a bit wonky to me. Our "112"'s are $250, ok good so they're making it up with the expensive seats, so let me look a the pric....holy CRAP $1725 for uppers mid field (sec 206) and right beside it $500 (sec 205). That's one hell of a jump across 1 set of stairs.

Good to see that in today's market of "you get what you pay for" they still price seats in blocks of sections with massive jumps in price changes in ALL markets not just around here ;)

I just don't know why they don't price things by section with gradual change in price as you get away from the premo spot...must be too much for ticketbastard to do.

Bones...

kodiakTFC
07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
THose 1724$ seats are special vip seats and they get quite a bit of special treatment ala free food, drinks, etc.

rocker
07-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Looks decent. Not the best but decent for MLS. It's still basically a lower bowl into the ground and metal beams around the outside, covered with a kind of fabric to hide the skeleton.

Too bad it will have taken 7 years to get a stadium built for a team that left San Jose because they couldn't get a stadium built in San Jose.

ryan
07-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Too bad it will have taken 7 years to get a stadium built for a team that left San Jose because they couldn't get a stadium built in San Jose while the new San Jose team builds it's stadium at the same time.

Added on to your sentence there...

james
07-29-2011, 03:26 PM
BMO could do with some renovations as many stadiums now are better then BMO.However with BMO location i still say its one of the best in the league. Colorado, Chicago, Dallas, Salt Lake, Philly all have newish stadiums that are decent but look not to different from BMO on tv and those teams all play out in the suburbs or in Dallas case even more like out in the country side. I would not want to trade for any of those stadiums. Columbus staidum is ok, not down town but still in city limits.

San Jose play in a tiny high school baseball stadium.

Kansas, LA and New York got some of the nicest stadiums most of us wish we had, but even then those stadiums still are outside of the city. And Chivas probably need to move out of LA Galaxys stadium, to much competition in one stadium.

Seattle and Vancouver (soon to anyways) play in downtwon centers however they play in stadiums that are still Football stadiums. Seattle has done well filling it, but if the team sucks down the road it may be a tougher sell and wont look so good anymore playing in a 68,000 seat stadium and have yet to see how Vancouver do.

New England and DC United situation is shit, they both need smaller stadiums. New England need to play in Boston and DC stadium is falling down.

Only team i see with a perfect situation is Portland....they got it sweet, downtown, old school stadiums that looks like its made for soccer.

some renovations to BMO tho and it could be sweet. wrap seats all the way around the stadium, add some roofs, expand some of the stands, maybe do some renovations behind the stands and it would be one of the best in the leagues, its just a matter of if MLSE will ever want to do that.

TFCRegina
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Heh, before i opened up this thread, I said "Someone will talk about a roof."

1st response ehhe.

Nicholas982
08-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Construction has already begun, they're clearing the site. It'll be ready in 14 months or so.

Just DC and NE needing new SSS's and then the league is set.

rocker
08-03-2011, 10:30 AM
San Jose fans are bitching about the stadium before it's even built though. Since apparently San Jose is spending even less than it cost to build BMO Field, they worry it's gonna be a bare bones stadium. They also don't like that it's only 15000 seats.

This all ties in with a feeling that Lew Wolff, the owner, is cheap.

Whoop
12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Steep stands, this can help...

https://p.twimg.com/AglGpdPCMAElHDX.jpg

boban
12-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Looks like Houston Dynamo has a sponsor lined up for the stadium.
Spanish bank BBVA is sponsoring through its U.S. subsidiary BBVA Compass.
Terms are $20m for 10 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-dynamo-stadium

Oldtimer
12-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Looks like Houston Dynamo has a sponsor lined up for the stadium.
Spanish bank BBVA is sponsoring through its U.S. subsidiary BBVA Compass.
Terms are $20m for 10 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-dynamo-stadium

Also here: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/13/report-dynamo-home-be-called-bbva-compass-stadium

Looks like they are following TFC's lead in getting a bank as a stadium sponsor.

kodiakTFC
12-15-2011, 11:45 AM
10 years for 20 million seems very cheap. The Star reported that the 10-year naming rights deal between BMO and MLSE would be worth $27 million.

Derko
12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
well, they did add grass to BMO, and the north stand (even though its still only metal bleachers). So there is hope that one day they could renovate. After all, it wasn't built to last, renovations may be a neccessity.
Thing is, I don't think MLSE is going to pay for a proper renovation/upgrade, and the city under rob ford sure wont kick in anything.
But in 4 years we do have the women's world cup. unless they decide to put it in the Dome, you'd figure they could squeeze out some funding to have a respectable stadium.

I thought Toronto neglected to bid on the Women's World Cup,(Stupid Fucks) therefore I don't see any money for renos at all, You're right about 'Sweaty Bob' no money for anything other than him and his Brother's salary.

Whoop
12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Toronto won't be hosting any games in the Women's World Cup because it coincides with the Pan Am Games. The Women's World Cup will predominantly held in Vancouver and out west.

rocker
12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Any chance for $$$ from the Pan Am games people or are they just using BMO as is?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
we all know BMO field was built they way it was..incase MLS in TO failed!

Now with the MULTI-MILLION ACAD Facilty....Upgrades to the pitch..ect ect..I would only hope a huge RENO is next to come at BMO! Hopefully they start by tearing down all 4 stands..and build fresh around the pitch! :)

boban
12-16-2011, 02:04 AM
What the heck is Philly's excuse then? Or RSL plans for theirs when they started?

Yohan
12-16-2011, 02:14 AM

Now with the MULTI-MILLION ACAD Facilty....Upgrades to the pitch..ect ect..I would only hope a huge RENO is next to come at BMO! Hopefully they start by tearing down all 4 stands..and build fresh around the pitch! :)
6 years ago, there were very few SSS in NA. people were still wondering if MLS will last.

hindsight in 20/20

boban
12-16-2011, 02:31 AM
6 years ago, there were very few SSS in NA. people were still wondering if MLS will last.
Not really. LA Galaxy, Columbus, Dallas had stadiums, Chicago, Colorado were in construction, and plans for NY, DC, Salt Lake we being planned for a while.
Although DC somehow can't get out of planning phase lol.

Yohan
12-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Not really. LA Galaxy, Columbus, Dallas had stadiums, Chicago, Colorado were in construction, and plans for NY, DC, Salt Lake we being planned for a while.
Although DC somehow can't get out of planning phase lol.
HDC is an exception in MLS 1.0. (all hail AEG) Plus HDC is designed for multi purpose, not just soccer

Pizza Hut Park being the exception, Toyota Park, Rio Tinto Stadium, Dicks Sporting Goods Park all are built using the cheapo version of SSS. So, 'few' might have been the wrong word to use, but it certainly felt like SSSs were pretty rare back then...

boban
12-16-2011, 02:47 AM
HDC is an exception in MLS 1.0. (all hail AEG) Plus HDC is designed for multi purpose, not just soccer

Pizza Hut Park being the exception, Toyota Park, Rio Tinto Stadium, Dicks Sporting Goods Park all are built using the cheapo version of SSS. So, 'few' might have been the wrong word to use, but it certainly felt like SSSs were pretty rare back then...
All still miles ahead of our stadium which came later than most in your list.
Houston you may consider 2.0 buts it construction budget is less/same as Rio Tinto, Dicks SGP - which is ~5 years after these.

DavydMT
01-04-2012, 08:36 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/384397_292419240793590_232232100145638_716947_4484 69123_n.jpg