PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATED - Gargan Traded* Released the Gargan

KGH
07-25-2011, 08:24 PM
JohnMolinaro (http://twitter.com/#%21/JohnMolinaro) John Molinaro

Dan Gargan has been released by #TFC (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TFC). Story to follow.

Shakes McQueen
07-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Interesting. I can only assume this is preceding something else, or there wasn't much sense in doing it.

- Scott

Parkdale
07-25-2011, 08:26 PM
breakin' news!

that we've all seen coming.

sadly, his hustle has improved a but lately. I guess he knew it was sink or swim time.

best of luck to you Dan Gargan. Pookie's shorts will never be the same.

Roogsy
07-25-2011, 08:32 PM
We shouldn't believe John...he was wrong about Hatchi. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone has broken more TFC stories than John this year.

DOMIN8R
07-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Thank you, Dan. You were fun to watch, when your game was on. Hope you find another home.

Pookie
07-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Class individual. Best of luck.

Suds
07-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Wish him the best.

Does anyone know if being released is better for him in the sense that he can move anywhere and negotiate a new contract with another team? I'm asking because I'm surprised we could not trade him for something. Maybe no other teams liked his current contract???

nickio
07-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I've grown to respect the man, he had an exemplary work ethic and mentality, but lacked technically. He'll be fine in finding good club to play for with his personality I think.

That is all if JohnMalinaro is right for once. :)

Waggy
07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Good work ethic, wish him nothing but the best. Hope he can catch on with a solid club (re not vancouver or MTL. or columbus) and be an every day player. Still think on a good team he could be a good player

TFC07
07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for your contribution to club, Gargan.

Highlight for me is when I saw him take NCC trophy into the stands to celebrate it with supporters.

DOMIN8R
07-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Oh....and thank you, JM.

MG42
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all of your hard work here Dan, good luck!

Ossington Mental Youth
07-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Good luck to him, hope him great endeavors in the future

bones
07-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Prolly see him in a Union kit at some point.

Bones...

denime
07-25-2011, 09:26 PM
We shouldn't believe John...he was wrong about Hatchi. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone has broken more TFC stories than John this year.

Wrong thread,this one is about Garagan not J.M. :rolleyes:

Gargan will find the MLS team that can use him,hard worker,good attitude. All the best.

Heathen
07-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Good luck to him but TFC on the resume hasn't been kind to other "releasees". I think Sanyang, Nane, Saric, Hscanovis, Ibby and Usanov were all still unattached last tiem I checked.

acorn34
07-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Let me know when there's a TFC story I can feel good about. At least Gargan gave it his all when he was on the pitch.....

jloome
07-25-2011, 10:43 PM
The Gargan was all heart, but you gotta figure they needed his money for someone specific.

rocker
07-25-2011, 10:57 PM
if Gargan's money is guaranteed (the CBA says semi-guaranteed contracts are basically guaranteed after July 1, counting against the cap), then this move could simply be for the roster spot (half his salary, 35K, isn't going to make a big difference on a 2.6 million dollar cap). Whomever is coming in could be signed with whatever room is left + any allocation money -- if the guy is getting 100K in Year 1 of the deal, they'd only need to find 50K to fit him in this year (maybe less since the season is past half way).... probably some combination of cap room and allocation.

ManUtd4ever
07-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Although Gargan isn't starter material, he can be an ideal late defensive sub for an MLS club. I appreciate the sincere effort he gave every minute he was on the pitch. I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

Darlofletch
07-25-2011, 11:09 PM
in the right situation, and when you're not asking or expecting too much from him, Gargan can be a solid depth guy to have covering multiple positions. but unfortunately TFC is rarely the right situation for any player.

I'll miss gargan, wasn't as good as people made him out to be last year, wasn't as bad as people said this year.

Hopefully we put his roster spot to good use and bring in someone who'll make us forget all about gargan.

ManUtd4ever
07-25-2011, 11:11 PM
The current over under for a TFC player's tenure is 6 months. Hopefully that will change next season.

ginkster88
07-25-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't know why everyone is shitting on Roogsy's excellent point about JM and his "info". I'll wait to hear this officially.

Shakes McQueen
07-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't know why everyone is shitting on Roogsy's excellent point about JM and his "info". I'll wait to hear this officially.

He was being complimentary to J-Mo.

- Scott

TFC USA
07-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Heart can only take you so far.

Gargan is a terrible footballer.

Harden next?

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Released the Gargan . . . saw that line coming the day TFC signed him. I'm more partial to Gargone!

I'll miss him. I think he had a really strong and influential game in the Canadian Championship replay. Gargan gone now, maybe Harden and Sturgis next, is Winter getting rid of all the team's American players?

MartinUtd
07-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Eerily fitting that he was actually released.

Brooker
07-26-2011, 04:04 AM
bitter sweet. shit player, great mascot.

swan
07-26-2011, 05:32 AM
some of you can bitch about his skills but the guy did play his balls off for us unlike so many that have not..

i for one wish him the best

Oldtimer
07-26-2011, 06:55 AM
But... but... he wasn't Jimmy's avatar! I thought that's the way to get released/traded!

Razor
07-26-2011, 07:43 AM
i am glad he's gone, so frustrating to watch.

gave his all but who cares, he was shit.

__wowza
07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
he gave his all when he was here, ill agree with that, but at his best he was still a depth player. i was a fan of the guy last season (remember the "dan gargan will eat your children" scarf?") but it seems as thought the leagues just grown around him this season and he didnt catch up.

Yohan
07-26-2011, 08:17 AM
If more footballers had gargan's work ethic and attitude, the game would be so much better off. Best of luck to dan

KGH
07-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Maybe the old saying applies here:

Those who can do. Those who can't teach

He might be a good assistant for one of our u1x teams.

Red CB Toronto
07-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Dan left it all on the field, he came to Toronto with little fanfare, heck he arrived in Columbus the morning of the opener last year, arriving at the stadium just before the game. I am sure he get another chance to play this great game.

Mark in Ottawa
07-26-2011, 08:30 AM
If more footballers had gargan's work ethic and attitude, the game would be so much better off. Best of luck to dan
^^ +1
Best of luck Dan in all of your future endeavors.

Dbl_D
07-26-2011, 09:32 AM

+1 good luck Dan....

maninb
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
All the best Dan....Hope he cataches on someplace...most likely a 2nd Divison squad...

nickio
07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
He'll make a good coach someday

Batman
07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Best of luck to Gargan. I'm sure he did the best job he was capable of here.

If a guy is here, that's all we can ask of him. So, all the best Dan!

Now, let's hope the replacement is capable of a bit more.

trane
07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Why the hell are they realissing Gargan, he was a solid, solid, MLS defender, we need though. What the hell are they doing? What next Harden?

[joke]

Shway
07-26-2011, 10:49 AM
^^it makes sense that we released him honestly, we have doneil and ashtone who i would rather play over dan gargan, and im sure winter see's that too

trane
07-26-2011, 11:07 AM
^ By [joke] I meant I was joking. I am not seriously shocked at his release.

Redcoe15
07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
He thrived under Preki's system, but couldn't seem to make it work under Winter's system, so no surprise he's gone. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.

dupont
07-26-2011, 11:44 AM
hmmm... unless we need a roster spot for an upcoming move then I don't get this. He is fine as a bench player at least and costs very little. I would have rather released Harden to be honest.

trane
07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
^ Agree with this. Harden would have been my first cut.

ryan
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
^ Agree with this. Harden would have been my first cut.

We have 4 healthy wingbacks not including Gargan.

We have 2 healthy centrebacks not including Harden....and he's been here for a week.

I think it's pretty obvious where we have some space. You can't cut Harden when you'd have brand new Iro and youngster Henry as your only other options to start with no true CB's to put as a substitute.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
id release em both.
Id be willing to bet we got someone coming in. Itd be pointless to remove him otherwise.

Suds
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM

We have 2 healthy centrebacks not including Harden....and he's been here for a week.

I think it's pretty obvious where we have some space. You can't cut Harden when you'd have brand new Iro and youngster Henry as your only other options to start with no true CB's to put as a substitute.

Yep. Gargan was clearly the odd man out after the recent moves.

This is the shitty side of being a pro athlete (unless you're in that top 2%). Always someone newer or younger that will eventually take your spot.

I'm not bothered by losing him as a player, however, it always sucks to lose a class guy from the club. From what I saw Gargan always conducted himself well. I think that and his work ethic is what endeared him to many.

trane
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM

We have no wingbacks, we do not play with wingbacks, we play with fullbacks.

Harden is a CB in name only. Hence playing Eckersly over him at CB. Carrying a player just to have a CB, when that player has no clue how to play the position, is silly. I would cut him. I have no issue with cutting Gargan, but I would cut Harden first.

ryan
07-26-2011, 01:35 PM
We have no wingbacks, we do not play with wingbacks, we play with fullbacks.

Harden is a CB in name only. Hence playing Eckersly over him at CB. Carrying a player just to have a CB, when that player has no clue how to play the position, is silly. I would cut him. I have no issue with cutting Gargan, but I would cut Harden first.

Semantics.

Anyways, cutting Harden would be a terrible decision right now. Using Eckersley at CB is NOT working well as we continue to have problems with goals against and he's much more effective for us at RB. What good is having Eckersley play CB when we are using a weaker Viator at RB now? You're almost fixing a problem by creating another are you not?

Doesn't matter how much of a clue you think Harden has at playing as a defender, we simply don't have ANY depth to play the central position. It's not silly, it's exactly why he's still on our roster.

But hey, don't let my thoughts (which might I add, seem to be inline with the professional coaching staff) get in your way of thinking.

Davenport
07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
When's the rest of them being released ?

tfcleeds
07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Class guy, but was just out of his depth at this level. I wish him all the best.

CommradePolski
07-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Whys there been no official word on TFC site?

mdc 77
07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Maybe there is more to just releasing Gargan?

When asked about Gargan today Winter said;

"I'm going to speak about it when everything is approved,"

69Chevy396
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Gargan was the most frustrating player I have suffered watching from my expensive plastic BMO seat. Like waiting all day for the Sears truck to deliver your new piece of crap furniture that comes missing all the parts. I remember one game where he took all the throw ins, and in his customary way, delivered them fifty feet into the air, with not one of them landing anywhere near a Team mate. This stupid, bush league tactic worked once for him when the ball miraculously bounced off a players head into the net, since then nothing, but aggravation. We pay money for the pleasure of watching entertaining soccer, not fucking volleyball. I am glad he is gone.

Pookie
07-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Maybe there is more to just releasing Gargan?

I wonder if there was an offer to stay with the club in another capacity ... ?

mdc 77
07-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Doubt that, Gargan may not be the most talented but he will find employment as a footballer somehwere. He's only 28.

trane
07-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Semantics.

Anyways, cutting Harden would be a terrible decision right now. Using Eckersley at CB is NOT working well as we continue to have problems with goals against and he's much more effective for us at RB. What good is having Eckersley play CB when we are using a weaker Viator at RB now? You're almost fixing a problem by creating another are you not?

Doesn't matter how much of a clue you think Harden has at playing as a defender, we simply don't have ANY depth to play the central position. It's not silly, it's exactly why he's still on our roster.

But hey, don't let my thoughts (which might I add, seem to be inline with the professional coaching staff) get in your way of thinking.

Yes your thoughts are in line with a professional coaching staff that has won three games.

Why use Ekersley at CB? Because being as solid as possible in the midle is important, if you have a weaker player you are better off putting him to the side of goal as opposed to infront of goal. Ekersley has the size to play CB and is as good a defender as we have, therefore that professional coaching staff decided to put him in the midle in front of goal.

It is silly to keep a defensive liability as big as Harden on the roster just for the sake of a having someone on the roster. Not that Gargan was much better, I would just cut Harden first, as he has shown me that he is useless at CB.

AND the diffrence between wingbacks and fullbacks is not sematics, when a team says that it plays with fullbacks it generaly means that its two side backs play a more traditional defensive role, while wingbacks start from just about the same spot but play much more offensively. Clearly there is some convergance between the two roles, but we clearly play with fullbacks and not wingbacks.

jloome
07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Doubt that, Gargan may not be the most talented but he will find employment as a footballer somehwere. He's only 28.

Maybe. Last time he was cut from MLS he retired. Puerto Rico talked him out of retirement to play in USL.

prizby
07-26-2011, 04:59 PM
sad to see him go...think he would have made a good backup just on merit and wanting to play for the badge. didn't fit in winter's system but always worked his butt off :(

ryan
07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes your thoughts are in line with a professional coaching staff that has won three games.

Why use Ekersley at CB? Because being as solid as possible in the midle is important, if you have a weaker player you are better off putting him to the side of goal as opposed to infront of goal. Ekersley has the size to play CB and is as good a defender as we have, therefore that professional coaching staff decided to put him in the midle in front of goal.

It is silly to keep a defensive liability as big as Harden on the roster just for the sake of a having someone on the roster. Not that Gargan was much better, I would just cut Harden first, as he has shown me that he is useless at CB.

AND the diffrence between wingbacks and fullbacks is not sematics, when a team says that it plays with fullbacks it generaly means that its two side backs play a more traditional defensive role, while wingbacks start from just about the same spot but play much more offensively. Clearly there is some convergance between the two roles, but we clearly play with fullbacks and not wingbacks.

Won 3 professional games, how many has any of us won?

I never said Eck's wasn't cut out to play CB, but he's more effective at RB. Can't you see that I said that? He's better than Viator at RB, can't you see that I said that too? I don't know why you're arguing about Ecks ability to play CB, I wasn't disputing his ability to I was pointing out the lack of players on our roster that can actually play CB. We don't need to do what we did earlier by playing midfielders (Tchani) at CB, that did not look good at all. I'll take Harden over someone who hasn't played CB professionally, ever.

Borman is a liability, Santos is a liability as seen in KC, why not just cut em too eh?

What are we gonna do if Eck's gets hurt and we have 3 matches in a week, put Iro/Henry out there for 3 matches in 7 with absolutely NOTHING on the bench to back that up? That's just stupid!

Wingbacks, fullbacks, doesn't matter what they are or what they have, it's entirely irrelevant to what we were talking about anyways, so who cares.

trane
07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
^ Harden looks like he has never played CB professionaly either.

menefreghista
07-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Won 3 professional games, how many has any of us won?

I fucking hate when people make points like this.

Why even bother having a forum if that's the case?

ryan
07-26-2011, 06:12 PM
^ Harden looks like he has never played CB professionaly either.

While funny and amusing, it's not true and doesn't change the fact that he is.

I fucking hate when people make points like this.

Why even bother having a forum if that's the case?

The point was to say they know lots bout footie, more than we can know as fans, not to say he shouldn't say anything at all. I was just implying that the logic I presented was in line with their decision making and wasn't. It gave plausible reasoning for why things are they way they are, why I think Gargan was ok to release and Harden isn't. What's the bloody big deal?

Easy on the dramatics. :drinking:

trane
07-26-2011, 06:48 PM
^ I had this debate before, just because you call someone a CB, does not mean that he realy is. That is my issue with Harden, his every instict seems to be the opposite of what a professional CB would have.

mightydrm
07-26-2011, 10:50 PM
some of you can bitch about his skills but the guy did play his balls off for us unlike so many that have not..

i for one wish him the best

Couldn't agree more.

backbeat
07-27-2011, 10:27 AM
any idea what Winter means by, "I'll speak about Dan Gargan when everything's approved" ??

CommradePolski
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I personally think that means its a trade more then Garg's just being released.

KGH
07-27-2011, 10:52 AM
^^ Can anyone confirm if Santos was at practise yesterday?

Waggy
07-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I personally think that means its a trade more then Garg's just being released.

The Fan is reporting he got traded to Chicago

Pigfynn
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
For?????????????

That is the question

Nuvinho
07-27-2011, 08:03 PM
probably for a supplementary draft pick.

mmmikey
07-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Traded. Change the thread title!

torontofc (http://twitter.com/#%21/torontofc) Toronto FC

NEW: #TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TorontoFC) trades Dan Gargan to Chicago for Dasan Robinson -> http://bit.ly/nkpsBR .. #TFC (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TFC) #MLS (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23MLS)

KGH
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Interesting...Any opinions on this kid? I have no idea if this is an upgrade or just a bench player swap

Fort York Redcoat
07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasan_Robinson

bizarre. Hometown boy who's been with the first team since '06!!!

but nobody's heard of him?

CommradePolski
07-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Best of luck to the Gargan in the windy city.

menefreghista
07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
The trade is Gargan + a 2nd round pick for Robinson.

According to Molinaro we actually did release Gargan. But the Fire showed interest so we rescinded the release. And now made the trade.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/07/28/sp-tfc-gargan.html

According to Ives: Shrewd move by TFC. I think Robinson will be major upgrade in the back

pekduck
07-28-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.chicago-fire.com/player/dasan-robinson

Defender... total 248 minutes played this season.. rarely gets a game

menefreghista
07-28-2011, 10:44 AM
According to the MLS PA, Robinson is making $97,500.

Yohan
07-28-2011, 10:47 AM
a bit of head scratcher as I think this is more of a sideways move... I don't recall Dasan Robinson being particularly outstanding. Or does Mariner see more than I do? (hopefully!)

PopePouri
07-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Maybe Chicago puts much value in the 2nd round pick and if that's the case, it's possible that this was a decent trade. Can't fault Mariner yet. Seems most of his trades have been hits.

jloome
07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Robinson can play wide with the ball, can play centrally, has better movement. He's never been able to nail down a starting spot, but the guys ahead of him have been impressive. But he's very versatile, so that's probably why they like him.

Chicago just resigned him to a new deal a few months ago, so I'm a bit surprised. He might have demanded a move for playing time.

Update: Some fire fans seem to like him. He'd apparently won the starting centre half job in 2008, then had a hernia that required surgery and he lost most of the season, as well as his spot to Bakare Soumare. Then they brought in Segares, and he hasn't had a sniff since, basically.

canadian_bhoy
07-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Thank you dan gargan for all your awesome, super long foul throw-ins.

ArmenJBX
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Robinson > Gargan

That is all

ryan
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
I hope they see something in him, he makes double what Gargan makes so he better provide more on the pitch.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 11:05 AM
think he only makes 20k more than what Gargan made.
What position in defense is he natural to?
Will he step right into the line up?

Gazza
So he wasn't released?

So once again we get the first story, not the correct one?

Take care Dan. You wore the number 8 with pride.

Razor
Thank you dan gargan for all your awesome, super long foul throw-ins.

tee hee - that was funnnnnnny. :)

menefreghista
07-28-2011, 11:08 AM
So he wasn't released?

He was released. But I guess when Chicago got wind they decided they wanted him.

So TFC rescinded the release.

And then he was traded.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
So he wasn't released?

apparently was released but chicago showed interest so they traded his rights and 2 round draft pick

ryan
07-28-2011, 11:14 AM
TSN states Robinson makes 100K, Gargan 70K

So it's an increase of 30K in salary.

ryan
07-28-2011, 11:15 AM
think he only makes 20k more than what Gargan made.
What position in defense is he natural to?
Will he step right into the line up?

I'm not sure his preferred spot but he can play CB or RB from what I've read.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
maybe LB?
we really need someone there

ryan
07-28-2011, 11:32 AM
maybe LB?
we really need someone there

Interesting to see the mixed reviews on Morgan last night. I for one, am in the camp of "he played decent".

Made some nice crosses (instead of launching them into the crowd) and was decent with the ball. With MLS quickly becoming a lost cause, I'd like to see him continue to grow at LB and gain experience.

ag futbol
07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
This trade with Chicago reminded me of William Conde. You want a DP defender? there's one right there. Guy was a one-man wrecking crew.

Currently plays for Atlas in Mexico. Probably not realistic.

__wowza
07-28-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/tfc-swaps-gargan-robinson

"we felt this was a move we needed to make. Dasan brings us depth and versatility because he can play central defence or right back.”

ManUtd4ever
07-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Based on the general sentiments of Chicago supporters, Robinson was a very popular, versatile, capable player on their club that lost his starting job on the backline as a result of injuries. I definitely prefer this trade as an alternative to the outright release of Gargan, considering that his remaining salary would have still counted against the cap. The 2nd round pick is negligible, and TFC adds much needed depth to the backline.

MartinUtd
07-28-2011, 11:40 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/tfc-swaps-gargan-robinson

"we felt this was a move we needed to make. Dasan brings us depth and versatility because he can play central defence or right back.”

I'm now worried that we'll see more of Eckersley in the middle instead of out wide where he belongs.

ManUtd4ever
07-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm now worried that we'll see more of Eckersley in the middle instead of out wide where he belongs.

I seriously hope not. Perhaps the addition of another natural CB in Robinson was initiated with the intention of ensuring that Ecks can continue play his natural position at RB, where he is far more effective.

kodiakTFC
07-28-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm glad to see it, our backline could use any help it can get. Hopefully this guy works out.

menefreghista
07-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Maybe this means Viator becomes a back up?

Iro and Robinson in the middle? Ecksersley in his proper position?

ManUtd4ever
07-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe this means Viator becomes a back up?

Iro and Robinson in the middle? Ecksersley in his proper position?

I think this is the most likely scenario, with Yourassowsky, Borman, and Morgan rotating at LB.

Pookie
07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Next year will be interesting with Eckersley's future and the return of a healthy Cann and Williams.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Interesting to see the mixed reviews on Morgan last night. I for one, am in the camp of "he played decent".

Made some nice crosses (instead of launching them into the crowd) and was decent with the ball. With MLS quickly becoming a lost cause, I'd like to see him continue to grow at LB and gain experience.

He was not bad but he's young and needs time

I seriously hope not. Perhaps the addition of another natural CB in Robinson was initiated with the intention of ensuring that Ecks can continue play his natural position at RB, where he is far more effective.

I don't think ecks is going any where, I can see them trying him at cb and back up/rotation at). Maybe even try him on the left.

menefreghista
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Next year will be interesting with Eckersley's future and the return of a healthy Cann and Williams.

Unless he's under contract, I don't think Cann will come back.

ManUtd4ever
07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Eckersley and Plata have been the undisputed MVPs of the team, and they are both on loan, with their entire careers ahead of them.

It is absolutely imperative that TFC exercises the option to purchase the rights to both players. I doubt that either of them will command a siginificant transfer fee, and they can be integral future building blocks for the organization.

Pookie
07-28-2011, 12:10 PM
^ I'm pretty sure Cann has 2 years left on his contract after this season.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Eckersley and Plata have been the undisputed MVPs of the team, and they are both on loan, with their entire careers ahead of them.

It is absolutely imperative that TFC exercises the option to purchase the rights to both players. I doubt that either of them will command a siginificant transfer fee, and they can be integral future building blocks for the organization.

i dont doubt the FO sees/feels the same thing/way

menefreghista
07-28-2011, 12:14 PM
^ I'm pretty sure Cann has 2 years left on his contract after this season.

Probably the classic MLS option years.

I still don't think he will be back.

TFCRegina
07-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Toronto gives away the Gargan, gets back a water bottle.

Shakes McQueen
07-28-2011, 12:40 PM
7SqC_m3yUDU

- Scott

__wowza
07-28-2011, 12:42 PM

i agree wholeheartedly. we're getting them for an absolute steal. my only worry is that their fees would prove to be out of the range MLSE wishes to get them for.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 12:49 PM
im wondering if its arranged before hand

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
id be willing to bet on it being so

Ron Manager
07-28-2011, 01:14 PM
im wondering if its arranged before hand

I believe it has to be as there has to be an option to buy in MLS loans. Likely the price would be agreed upon beforehand...doesn't mean the price has to be realistic though.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I believe it has to be as there has to be an option to buy in MLS loans. Likely the price would be agreed upon beforehand...doesn't mean the price has to be realistic though.

yeah thats what i meant, that the price was agreed upon before hand.

ryan
07-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Probably the classic MLS option years.

I still don't think he will be back.

I did read somewhere recently from I believe Winter or Mariner, saying they expect Cann to play every game next season.

That would suggest he's still in TFC's plans, but how he bounces back from the injury could changes those words in a hurry.

ryan
07-28-2011, 01:31 PM

I think we're in the business of selling players, not buying, unfortunately.

I want them both bought too, however I think there's a snowballs chance in hell they purchase Eckersley.

Plata however, is becoming a fan favourite and if he keeps this up will be part of the reason general fans come to see this team play. The idea of buying him has to be in the heads of MLSE/TFC as he could continue to increase his worth as he matures into his 20's.

How long is his loan to MLS anyways?

nickio
07-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I really hope Eckersley stays, but I think he is a class above MLS when he is at his best. It looks like he likes being in Toronto though and is relatively happy to play for the team- so we'll see.

As for Plata- he is our brightest player and prospect. I think MLSE understands that they'll need to start WINning NOW to fill those seats and not buying Plata would be a very stupid move on their part.

PopePouri
07-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Obligatory youtube video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpGGruBCS8

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I really hope Eckersley stays, but I think he is a class above MLS when he is at his best. It looks like he likes being in Toronto though and is relatively happy to play for the team- so we'll see.

As for Plata- he is our brightest player and prospect. I think MLSE understands that they'll need to start WINning NOW to fill those seats and not buying Plata would be a very stupid move on their part.

will have to offer him some good cake to stay..and that wont happen in this league he'll make more back home and thats where i think he'll end up

Suds
07-28-2011, 02:13 PM

I think Ecks could earn a spot with a team in the Championship division in England or another similar level in Europe.

So the question becomes, does he like it here and does he want to earn his living here? And from a career perspective which is better for him? I think the answer is Europe is the better option. But it may turn out like Dichio in the sense would rather live here. If he can make the same $$ playing here and likes it might sway him to stay.

Pookie
07-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I did read somewhere recently from I believe Winter or Mariner, saying they expect Cann to play every game next season.

That would suggest he's still in TFC's plans, but how he bounces back from the injury could changes those words in a hurry.

To add, when Cann was in the midst of his offseason contract issues, Winter made it a point to highlight that he was in the 2nd year of a 4 year contract.

Pookie
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I think Ecks could earn a spot with a team in the Championship division in England or another similar level in Europe.

So the question becomes, does he like it here and does he want to earn his living here? And from a career perspective which is better for him? I think the answer is Europe is the better option. But it may turn out like Dichio in the sense would rather live here. If he can make the same $$ playing here and likes it might sway him to stay.

The other question with Eckersley is that while he has impressed us, has his performance over here impressed scouts back in England enough that he has improved his position?

Suds
07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
The other question with Eckersley is that while he has impressed us, has his performance over here impressed scouts back in England enough that he has improved his position?

Good question. As I understand it, he's still under contract to Burnley who are a Championship side. To date Ecks has not been able to break their line-up and has spent most of his time on loan.

I guess it depends on Burnely's player needs or what they can get for him if they sell him.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
i think Jloome posted a thread from a burnley forum in which he wasnt even considered by teh supporters

Mark TFC
07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I didn't want to post until the full story was out. Good luck Dan - always appreciated your hard work ethic, you always played with heart. Now let's welcome Dasan!

MarkoftheDrink
07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
From the Burnley message board:
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2116869076

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2117014977

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2117105735

They call him the red mist and seem to have zero interest in seeing him play for Burnley again.

TFC1154ever
07-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Obligatory youtube video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpGGruBCS8

From this video, it looks like he can move the ball up the pitch, which is will be huge, cause none of are CB's that are healthy can. (excluding Eskerely)

Auzzy
07-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Doneil Henry actually made a couple of nice passes on the ground right to Kouvermans last night... or it might have occasionally been another forward. (Yeah Doneil is still raw, but showing potential.)

swan
07-28-2011, 08:42 PM
From the Burnley message board:
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2116869076

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2117014977

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2117105735

They call him the red mist and seem to have zero interest in seeing him play for Burnley again.

i got a good laugh at this post from one..

re: Richard Eckersley
maybe we could trade for one of their Europeans

Leandre Griffit 27 France
Andy Iro 26 England
Milos Kocic 26 Serbia
Mikael Yourassowsky 28 Belgium
Nick Soolsma 23 Netherlands
Javier Martina 24 Dutch/Curacao
Stefan Frei 25 Switzerland
Elbekay Bouchiba 32 Netherlands

crazy how i would give most of those guys to them for the "red mist" as they call him..