PDA

View Full Version : The Maicon Santos Discussion

TFC USA
07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
If there's anyone who gets lauded and then shit on in the span of a week-by-week basis, it's Maicon Santos. Some days he's considered on this board to be our best striker and a great goal-scorer, other times he puts up some shit performances (like last game) and people want to burn him at the stake.

He's the captain of this team and he's probably the most scrutinized man on our current squad.

With possible trades coming soon, do you keep him or dump him?

EDIT: Shit. "Yes" means KEEP. "No" means GET RID.

ArmenJBX
07-25-2011, 06:40 PM
He's just not a midfielder, straight up. He does not have the ball retention skills to play that CAM role.

Maicon is the perfect second striker in a 4-2-2, but fits nowhere in a 4-3-3.

TFC USA
07-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Ahhhhh fuck. Try that again.

Yes means keep, no means get rid, Dwayne De Rosario means whatever you want it to mean.

ag futbol
07-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I vote to "get rid" of playing him out of position and "keep" playing him in the CF spot as Koevermans backup.

Davenport
07-25-2011, 06:55 PM
He's a selfish prick.

Keep him.....errrr I mean get rid.

Stryker
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Need a big man to back up the Koev.

MarkoftheDrink
07-25-2011, 07:05 PM
If there's anyone who gets lauded and then shit on in the span of a week-by-week basis, it's Maicon Santos. Some days he's considered on this board to be our best striker and a great goal-scorer, other times he puts up some shit performances (like last game) and people want to burn him at the stake.

He's the captain of this team and he's probably the most scrutinized man on our current squad.

With possible trades coming soon, do you keep him or dump him?

EDIT: Shit. "Yes" means KEEP. "No" means GET RID.

http://common2.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/258/1681777/1/BoosBlock+Commercial+1.5%22+Wooden+Cutting+Board+i n+Walnut.jpg

^ This board thinks you generalize too much ^

Santos has no place on this team other than being a possible late game offensive sub. He needs to go.

Auzzy
07-25-2011, 07:11 PM
The poll is awesome.

Can we set an MLS record this season, for trading away current captains? :D

Ossington Mental Youth
07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
i like him but hes been too lax as of late and has been played out of position.
If we got someone better i wouldnt mind saying good bye

MG42
07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I think he plays better in a formation with 2 strikers

Ron Manager
07-25-2011, 07:17 PM
He has good ball retention, just doesn't have a clue that it's better to pass than try to do it all yourself. Cost us a goal on Saturday. Costs us possession frequently. Pisses of Winter. He's gonna be gone.

Keyman
07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
What's Santos' cap hit?

He's a one-dimensional player, but he does create more offensive opportunities than almost anyone on the team. People may label him as selfish, but with very little talent up front for the Reds in the past couple of months it would be difficult for Santos to be selfless. If he's not overly expensive, I'd keep him as a sub up front.

KGH
07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
What's Santos' cap hit?

He's a one-dimensional player, but he does create more offensive opportunities than almost anyone on the team. People may label him as selfish, but with very little talent up front for the Reds in the past couple of months it would be difficult for Santos to be selfless. If he's not overly expensive, I'd keep him as a sub up front.

$126k

Roogsy
07-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Wearing the captains armband is the new Armen avatar pic. We'd better be careful because Frei has worn the band this year. ;)

TFCRegina
07-25-2011, 07:51 PM
I voted Dwayne De Rosario. As in players we should try to re-acquire.

Pachuco
07-25-2011, 08:10 PM
He scores goals when he plays his natural position. Without him we have absolutely no backup to Koevermans. It's not like we have an abundance of strikers who can score goals. Winter needs to stop the experiment of him as AM and needs to find the proper player to play that position.

Alixir
07-25-2011, 08:11 PM
I say trade him for a defender or at least for a player slot to sign a defender...We have enough forwards anyway...even thought we can't score goals.

Shakes McQueen
07-25-2011, 08:33 PM
He scores goals when he plays his natural position. Without him we have absolutely no backup to Koevermans. It's not like we have an abundance of strikers who can score goals. Winter needs to stop the experiment of him as AM and needs to find the proper player to play that position.

Agreed. Have him backup the Koov.

- Scott

Alonso
07-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Agreed. Have him backup the Koov.

- Scott

I wish we would have kept Gordon for that. He was a great character and effective when healthy which is perfect for a back-up... plays 18 games a year and stays healthy.

TFC07
07-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Keep him as a backup CF only.

PopePouri
07-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Mariner seemed to indicate Johnson was backup for the Koov. He's pretty versatile.

habstfc
07-25-2011, 09:05 PM
6 goals this year, not bad, gotta keep him.

MarkoftheDrink
07-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Mariner seemed to indicate Johnson was backup for the Koov. He's pretty versatile.

Yeah RJ played ST for SJ.

#9 depth chart:
Koef
RJ
Santos

Ossington Mental Youth
07-25-2011, 09:14 PM

Johnson played CF if im not mistaken (i think he was solo striker the year he scored and got a ton of assists)

A.J
07-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Ah shit, I voted wrong. Meant to vote for the "keep" option.

Jeff s
07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Keep. I have no idea why everyone is against this guy. Maybe if Winter comes to his senses and stops playing him as a Mid and stops playing the failing 4-3-3 formation, he'll do better. Play him as a striker with Koev, and well see a better Santos.

MarkoftheDrink
07-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Yes we should stop playing the 4-3-3 so Santos is a better fit.

tiberius
07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
I voted Dwayne De Rosario. As in players we should try to re-acquire.
he would make a good captain!:D

tiberius
07-25-2011, 09:42 PM
I wanna protest - this is an unfair poll against Mr. Santos. So far we have 15 people voting "no - get rid of him" and we have 15 people voting "yes - get rid of him" and 14 people voting "do what you did to dero" WTF - this poor guy is screwed...:D Total 44 vote = git rid of him and 0 votes for retaining him - the tribe has spoken, grab your torch Mr. Santos....

PS - this is my favourite poll of all time!!! Beware of the curse of the captains band!!

Toronto_Bhoy
07-25-2011, 09:42 PM
He has good ball retention, just doesn't have a clue that it's better to pass than try to do it all yourself. Cost us a goal on Saturday. Costs us possession frequently. Pisses of Winter. He's gonna be gone.

What Ron said.

This guy is our Captain? Really?

This is the kind of shit that really concerns me about this Club, granted Frings will be the captain in a game or two. But Santos…unbelievable.

Should have kept Gordon as backup.

ManUtd4ever
07-25-2011, 10:11 PM

This. He can still be a gamebreaker.

Shakes McQueen
07-25-2011, 10:13 PM
I voted for DeRo, despite not knowing what it meant.

- Scott

TFC USA
07-25-2011, 10:23 PM
DeRo option is whatever you want it to be.

It could also mean "no opinion" or "Scarborough sucks".

TFCRegina
07-26-2011, 12:10 AM
he would make a good captain!:D

You could take that one to the bank.

:drum:

JuliquE
07-26-2011, 05:13 AM
What Ron said.

This guy is our Captain? Really?

This is the kind of shit that really concerns me about this Club, granted Frings will be the captain in a game or two. But Santos…unbelievable.

Should have kept Gordon as backup.
I think there was a dearth of stand-up characters that would fit well as captain, when he was chosen.. which is a shame, because I think Santos might have done better without the pressure/responsibility of the armband.

For me, Santos provides a different option.. rather than a carbon copy of our startings CF (Koevermanns). It might not be the best suited formation for Santos, but I think he can add a little flair and creativity at CF in a 4-3-3 (or any variant of) and his selfishness, whilst woeful as a CAM, would serve him well in a more natural position up top.

ryan
07-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't think keeping him as a backup is a good option. I believe his attitude sinks when he doesn't start and he may become disgruntled over time, if not already.

He's too decent of an offensive player to be Koovs sub and he's not a great fit for what TFC is doing with their tactics since he's selfish with the ball and not big on flowing back defensively.

At his wage and talent level we should trade him for someone who is a better fit for what we need. Perhaps there's an MLS club needing a 2nd striker who has a CB they could part with?

nimamalek
07-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Worst poll ever!

Wull
07-26-2011, 09:05 AM
I voted keep which means keep him and fuck dero

trane
07-26-2011, 10:13 AM
He is a decent MLS CF, but he is no ACM, and should not be played there. This is one of my bones of contention with Winter. Santos is clearly not a good ACM, and yet Winter insists on playing him there.

jabbronies
07-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I voted Dwyane DeRosario.

I think he has a dangerous shot, and could be good off the bench, but not sure he would settle to play off the bench. Plus we don't really see that shot too often, but it's often enough if he's off the bench. Sometimes he works hard, but sometimes he's fucking lazy.

Batman
07-26-2011, 10:26 AM
TFC USA,
I actually really am laughing out loud at this poll.

We're you awake when you created it, or just a bit hung over?

LOL

Jcm144
07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
The way we are using our tactics it doesn't fit Santos, as he cannot play midfield. I think he is a good finisher and he can be affective for the team. He would be a valuable substitute off the bench for Kovermans.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Cheap but talented players are invariably headcases of some sort (Yourass is a less-talented example). Santos is obviously talented, but there's a reason we picked him up for free last summer. The captaincy was Winter's attempt to shame the guy into being less of a headcase. Nice thought, but sometimes a headcase is just a headcase.

I'm on the fence about dumping him. He's relatively good value for money if he's usable (for 20-30 minutes a game), but as some have suggested, he may become more of a headcase once he loses the captaincy and is relegated to the bench. He's also injured fairly frequently.

I think Santos has the skill to play AM, but lacks the heart. The conundrum is: if he was less of a headcase, he'd be working elsewhere for much more money. We could probably say the same thing about any number of pro athletes, though (or lawyers, for that matter).

ryan
07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
He is a decent MLS CF, but he is no ACM, and should not be played there. This is one of my bones of contention with Winter. Santos is clearly not a good ACM, and yet Winter insists on playing him there.

Well the whole point of what Winter's plan is to have players capable of playing in multiple roles to be able to create stronger more consistent lineups.

Winter's trying to field a decent lineup and find out more about his players and if they are capable of doing more than one trick.

Besides, it's only been a couple games where it's been tried? It's not like that's an unacceptable or foolish amount of tries to see if something is going to work.

trane
07-26-2011, 03:50 PM
^ Well that may be his point, but Santos is not capable in playing as ACM.

AND this whole idea that the 4-3-3 requires playes to fill multiple roles, is misunderstood, it may mean that a wideforward should be able to track back and defend like a fullback, or that a DM is supposed to be able to step back and defend like a CB for a while, but it does not mean that a player with all the charactreisics and skills of a CF and very few of a ACM should start at ACM, game in and game out. Someone posted it but even in the Ajax academy the defined roles of each position are very well set.

Santos has been tried in that role for at least 5 games, at least, and he has not worked out.

ryan
07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
^ Well that may be his point, but Santos is not capable in playing as ACM.

AND this whole idea that the 4-3-3 requires playes to fill multiple roles, is misunderstood, it may mean that a wideforward should be able to track back and defend like a fullback, or that a DM is supposed to be able to step back and defend like a CB for a while, but it does not mean that a player with all the charactreisics and skills of a CF and very few of a ACM should start at ACM, game in and game out. Someone posted it but even in the Ajax academy the defined roles of each position are very well set.

Santos has been tried in that role for at least 5 games, at least, and he has not worked out.

I don't think he is either, but without playing him like he has been played we wouldn't have truly known. If Winter continued to play him there after that KC showing, then I'd concede and say you're on point about why the fuck he's still playing at ACM.

Brooker
07-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Why on earth would we get rid of him? We need him! Poll doesn't even make sense. Shambles!

trane
07-26-2011, 03:58 PM
^ I would not get rid of him, he is a solid CF.

boysblue
07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
positives: sweet left foot and not a bad finisher

negatives: doesn't work hard enough off the ball, weak in the air, lacks bottle, not sure how fit he is either

get rid of him

ryan
07-26-2011, 05:13 PM
^ I would not get rid of him, he is a solid CF.

Do you also believe it will work out with him going from striker/secondary scorer to captain to bench player?

It just isn't going to go well the longer he rides the pine.

He'd be better served being traded for something we need more. We don't need him and his 126K wage on the bench when we're a disaster at the back.

trane
07-26-2011, 05:38 PM
^ There are not many quality CF around the league. The CF position is a crucial position for the success of a 4-3-3. When out starting CF is not available we need someone who can fill in capably. Santos is it. When you have tallent you try to keep it.
Sure if there is a CB that we can get in a trade I would do it. Any player is expendalbe if you can upgrade your roster. However, the starting point should be try to keep quality.

Pachuco
07-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Johnson played CF if im not mistaken (i think he was solo striker the year he scored and got a ton of assists)

Yes, he can play the position from watching him play in San Jose. But you can't be a backup to one position when you'll be expected to start every game in another position. Didn't Winter always maintain he wanted two players per position?

Anyway, I don't get the constant hatred for Maicon. When he plays as striker he puts the ball in the net, when he plays as AM he's terrible. What do you think the problem is here?

jloome
07-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Yes, he can play the position from watching him play in San Jose. But you can't be a backup to one position when you'll be expected to start every game in another position. Didn't Winter always maintain he wanted two players per position?

Anyway, I don't get the constant hatred for Maicon. When he plays as striker he puts the ball in the net, when he plays as AM he's terrible. What do you think the problem is here?

We need a striker who does more than score. I know, it's like Buddy Ryan complaining that all Cris Carter did in Philly was catch touchdowns....

But we're using a three-man top, where the target man has to both pivot and supply the wingers and the oncoming midfielders, and hold up the ball using superior strength. Santos can't do either of those particularly well. Additionally, because we play a high back line in an attempt to maintain possession in the opponent's end, we have to move forward and back as a unit, to maintain the right distances between each positional division. And he refuses to go backwards. Guy is terrible at covering space behind him defensively.

All these things add up to not fitting the system, even as a backup. But he has a hell of a left foot and can finish OK. A team playing with two strikers would probably give us a decent target man backup for him.

trane
07-26-2011, 06:46 PM
^ I do agree with this. Realy my assessement of him being a good CF is only on the fact that he has a good shot and is not shy to use it, I think he is an OK distributer, but not great, and while he is big he does not use it well. I think jloome acctualy discribes alot of his shortcomming, and he is correct, the reason the CF is crucial in a 4-3-3 because he is a pivot man, he has to be able to distribute and hold the ball. That is why I have been saying for some time that we need a quality CF, now that we have him, a back up that has those qualities woulc be ideal. If we can get that for Santos I would be OK with that too.

Wolfe
07-26-2011, 07:33 PM
He's just not a midfielder, straight up. He does not have the ball retention skills to play that CAM role.

Maicon is the perfect second striker in a 4-2-2, but fits nowhere in a 4-3-3.

You are right, perfect second striker, but why should the team force themselves to play 2 men short just so that he can play as a second striker?:hump:

I would like to see a 4-4-2 with JDG and Frings in the mid with Johnson and Plata on the wings and Santos and Kover in the middle

jloome
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
^ I do agree with this. Realy my assessement of him being a good CF is only on the fact that he has a good shot and is not shy to use it, I think he is an OK distributer, but not great, and while he is big he does not use it well. I think jloome acctualy discribes alot of his shortcomming, and he is correct, the reason the CF is crucial in a 4-3-3 because he is a pivot man, he has to be able to distribute and hold the ball. That is why I have been saying for some time that we need a quality CF, now that we have him, a back up that has those qualities woulc be ideal. If we can get that for Santos I would be OK with that too.

The question is whether there is one. There aren't that many target men in MLS who'd come to a team this bad for a backup role. Maybe Gabriel Ferrari would be good, since he'd be groomable by Koevermans due to his young age but still has high potential as both a strong forward and a finisher.

Pachuco
07-26-2011, 08:40 PM
We need a striker who does more than score. I know, it's like Buddy Ryan complaining that all Cris Carter did in Philly was catch touchdowns....

But we're using a three-man top, where the target man has to both pivot and supply the wingers and the oncoming midfielders, and hold up the ball using superior strength. Santos can't do either of those particularly well. Additionally, because we play a high back line in an attempt to maintain possession in the opponent's end, we have to move forward and back as a unit, to maintain the right distances between each positional division. And he refuses to go backwards. Guy is terrible at covering space behind him defensively.

All these things add up to not fitting the system, even as a backup. But he has a hell of a left foot and can finish OK. A team playing with two strikers would probably give us a decent target man backup for him.

Don't disagree with you, which is why he's a backup in my opinion. I also think he's a little better at holding the ball up then you describe, he has exceptional control and is very comfortable on the ball. But that's just opinion. Either way though, if he's a backup and can put the ball in the net I'm not sure I'd be so worried about some of his other shortcomings when his playing time will be somewhat limited.

At the end of the day though, I would replace any player on the field for a better option. So yeah, if we can find a healthy backup who fits the system better then of course I'd take him. But I honestly don't think he's one of our main problems right now unless he's playing AM. Which is really Winter's problem to fix. There are just so many other places to look right now.

ryan
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
^ There are not many quality CF around the league. The CF position is a crucial position for the success of a 4-3-3. When out starting CF is not available we need someone who can fill in capably. Santos is it. When you have tallent you try to keep it.
Sure if there is a CB that we can get in a trade I would do it. Any player is expendalbe if you can upgrade your roster. However, the starting point should be try to keep quality.

Not that I disagree having backup talent at CF, but I just don't see Santos accepting a backup role and being happy with it. I forsee him not playing his hardest and see him becoming a problem the longer he sits. I personally want my backup striker to be a young kid with potential, not a guy who's proven at this level and relegated to bench. It doesn't work as well when it's the latter from what I've ever seen in any sport.

In a league with a cap as low as this, I think 126K should not be on a bench player, especially when the starter is 350K or whatever vs the cap. That's roughly 18% of our total space on two players.

If a player is making 6 figures in MLS he better be a starter or else it's not wise use of cap space IMO.

jloome
07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Don't disagree with you, which is why he's a backup in my opinion. I also think he's a little better at holding the ball up then you describe, he has exceptional control and is very comfortable on the ball. But that's just opinion. Either way though, if he's a backup and can put the ball in the net I'm not sure I'd be so worried about some of his other shortcomings when his playing time will be somewhat limited.

At the end of the day though, I would replace any player on the field for a better option. So yeah, if we can find a healthy backup who fits the system better then of course I'd take him. But I honestly don't think he's one of our main problems right now unless he's playing AM. Which is really Winter's problem to fix. There are just so many other places to look right now.

True enough.

swan
07-27-2011, 06:40 PM
You are right, perfect second striker, but why should the team force themselves to play 2 men short just so that he can play as a second striker?:hump:

I would like to see a 4-4-2 with JDG and Frings in the mid with Johnson and Plata on the wings and Santos and Kover in the middle

:rofl: good catch..

mclaren
07-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I really don't understand this board sometimes. One person gets a bee in their bonnet about a player and then the rest of the herd follows swiftly. Santos is one of our few players who can shoot and score - and now we want to get rid? Unbelievable. But I do remember a similar witch hunt against a certain Mr. Cunningham.

SirBobSaget
07-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Not even on the bench tonight (at least not part of the group warming up on sidelines)

Yohan
07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I really don't understand this board sometimes. One person gets a bee in their bonnet about a player and then the rest of the herd follows swiftly. Santos is one of our few players who can shoot and score - and now we want to get rid? Unbelievable. But I do remember a similar witch hunt against a certain Mr. Cunningham.
Santos is just so one dimension that while he's a decent MLS striker, he really can't fulfill the role that is required for a striker for TFC. Can't hold the ball for shit, and it feels like TFC plays a man down whenever Santos is on the field because he seems to disappear for a lot of the game

razor787
07-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Santos I can picture us getting something for in a trade. Trade him away for a decent AM, and maybe a depth striker (or just keep johnson for the backup striker) and we will be in a much better place. He is a great MLS player, that shouldn't be wasted on the bench, and isn't doing so well playing out of position.

Makes a lot more sense to me, to just move him to get a natural AM.

backbeat
07-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Santos I can picture us getting something for in a trade. Trade him away for a decent AM, and maybe a depth striker (or just keep johnson for the backup striker) and we will be in a much better place. He is a great MLS player, that shouldn't be wasted on the bench, and isn't doing so well playing out of position.

Makes a lot more sense to me, to just move him to get a natural AM.

or I'd prefer at this point to get a strong CB or LB.....

ginkster88
07-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Science heard you...

http://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-reveal-the-tipping-point-for-ideas-is-when-theres-a-10-consensus-2011-7

denime
07-28-2011, 07:49 PM

and yet again TFC FO listened their supporters and made sure that supporters fish comes trough by getting a player in or in this case out of Toronto ;)

We have to be careful what we wish for,TFC FO is definitely reading these polls. :D

razor787
07-28-2011, 11:51 PM
or I'd prefer at this point to get a strong CB or LB.....

We definately need a new CB big time, but if we do move Santos, we will also need a replacement at the AM role. Either way, our best move in my opinion, is to get send Santos out, and get someone in a position that will help us more.

Yohan
07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
We definately need a new CB big time, but if we do move Santos, we will also need a replacement at the AM role. Either way, our best move in my opinion, is to get send Santos out, and get someone in a position that will help us more.
does TFC have an international spot left? because it seems like there aren't many US/Cdn players good enough for AM spot

Globetrotter
07-29-2011, 09:05 AM
and yet again TFC FO listened their supporters and made sure that supporters fish comes trough by getting a player in or in this case out of Toronto ;)

We have to be careful what we wish for,TFC FO is definitely reading these polls. :D

So it's our fault that Toronto has sucked for 4.5 seasons. We're the real GM's. Wow... we blow.

KGH
07-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Does anyone know if he travelled with the team for tomorrows game?

Suds
07-29-2011, 09:22 AM

I with ya. Getting rid of Santos is ludicrous just because people feel he's not playing well. It would not be a good move. News flash - the whole team has not played well. Sports fans have short term memories and Santos had a bad game recently. That adds fuels to the chorus of unhappy fans.

However, I do understand people making the point that we may have to give up a good asset to get another good asset back that could help us where we need it more. That being our defense. This is great in theory but does not always work out. We could bring in a stud CB and have him turn into a dud. Then we just shipped out a talent for nothing.

Technorgasm
07-29-2011, 09:41 AM
he is one of the top 3 best players on this squad. period.
when he is arsed. that is.
His quality is so obvious, he just needs to be motivated, supported and encouraged.
positioning.
passing.
eye for goal.
all fantastic.
he'll tear thsi league apart.

no phonzos.
NORB.

Ron Manager
07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
he is one of the top 3 best players on this squad. period.
when he is arsed. that is.
His quality is so obvious, he just needs to be motivated, supported and encouraged.
positioning.
passing.
eye for goal.
all fantastic.
he'll tear thsi league apart.

no phonzos.
NORB.

I'd argue the passing part. He CAN pass, but he seems to choose not to. He is possibly the worst offender we have ever had for holding on to the ball too long and being dispossessed. This causes problems and is exactly why he was pulled off in the 40th minute last week.(After being dispossessed leading to a goal conceded.) It pisses Winter off to see him try to run through the entire opposing team when a simple pass could open them up far more efficiently.
If Santos can get this concept through his skull, keep him. If not...get someone who can.

Gazza
07-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I voted DeRo. Not sure what it meant. But his name brought back memories of a guy who could put the ball in the net.

sashavukelich
07-29-2011, 03:09 PM
I with ya. Getting rid of Santos is ludicrous just because people feel he's not playing well. It would not be a good move. News flash - the whole team has not played well. Sports fans have short term memories and Santos had a bad game recently. That adds fuels to the chorus of unhappy fans.

However, I do understand people making the point that we may have to give up a good asset to get another good asset back that could help us where we need it more. That being our defense. This is great in theory but does not always work out. We could bring in a stud CB and have him turn into a dud. Then we just shipped out a talent for nothing.

Suds, normally i'd agree with you. But Santos wasn't even RUNNING last game, watch the first half, he's like walk/jogging the whole bloody time.

The man has talent, no DOUBT, but he just doesn't seem motivated at all right now, and i think that's why Chivas also let him go.

ManUtd4ever
07-29-2011, 03:36 PM
The only games in which Santos has looked awful this season are those that Winter played him out of position in the midfield. He is not responsible defensively, and he tends to run out of gas early on, which is exactly why he should be used as a substitute CF on this club as it's currently constructed. The guy can score 10 goals a season if he's utilized properly, without being a liability on the pitch.

Yohan
07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Suds, normally i'd agree with you. But Santos wasn't even RUNNING last game, watch the first half, he's like walk/jogging the whole bloody time.

The man has talent, no DOUBT, but he just doesn't seem motivated at all right now, and i think that's why Chivas also let him go.
makes you wonder why Preki signed Santos

Canary10
07-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Santos is the epitome of everything that's been wrong with this team. Lazy, selfish, doesn't go into any tackle hard, doesn't get stuck in, doesn't ever go out of his way. What, we're worried that we can't replace, what, maybe six (mostly poached) goals in all competitions? Come on. I'm convinced the only reason we got him was that he shares a name with an Brazilian player of actual quality, and MoJo was hoping after the World Cup the fans would be confused and think we got that guy.

TFCtoMUFC
07-30-2011, 10:41 AM
makes you wonder why Preki signed Santos

makes you wonder why Preki hated Guevara and signed Santos.

TFC07
07-30-2011, 11:01 AM
The only games in which Santos has looked awful this season are those that Winter played him out of position in the midfield. He is not responsible defensively, and he tends to run out of gas early on, which is exactly why he should be used as a substitute CF on this club as it's currently constructed. The guy can score 10 goals a season if he's utilized properly, without being a liability on the pitch.

Agreed. Santos is backup CF and can start few games here and there.

I hope we can keep him since he can score goals.

denime
07-30-2011, 11:05 AM
So it's our fault that Toronto has sucked for 4.5 seasons. We're the real GM's. Wow... we blow.

Wow,why so Seriuss :)

Learn to read between the lines.

We wanted DeRo,JDG,etc Mo and FO "listened to us" and signed them,now we want Santos gone(40% of us at least) and I was giving a hint that they "listened to us" again,therefore Santos is gone,how about that.

Expect announcement anytime next week ;)

swan
08-01-2011, 06:57 AM

well said..

Whoop
08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Word in Twitter world is that Maicon Santos has been traded to FC Dallas for Eric Avila.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
08-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Word in Twitter world is that Maicon Santos has been traded to FC Dallas for Eric Avila.

Another midfielder?

I hope there is a bigger plan here.

TOBOR !
08-02-2011, 03:22 PM
yup. Molinaro says so, so it must be true.

Oh, wait.

TOBOR !
08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
yup. Molinaro says so, so it must be true.

Oh, wait.

bertal
08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
maicon santos dealt eh? i actually liked him

Ossington Mental Youth
08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Another midfielder?

I hope there is a bigger plan here.

creative mid, a position we dont have filled

Roogsy
08-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Now that Maicon is gone, our leading scorer is Platita with 2 goals and 3 assists. :eek:

denime
08-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Now that Maicon is gone, our leading scorer is Platita with 2 goals and 3 assists. :eek:

What's you point?

Roogsy
08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
That now that Maicon is gone Plata is our leading scorer?

Wow...that was pretty self-explanatory.

trane
08-02-2011, 04:18 PM
^ So are you saying that Plata is our leading scorer now?????

denime
08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
That now that Maicon is gone Plata is our leading scorer?

Wow...that was pretty self-explanatory.

oh, ok thanks

What about Martina and Kovermans 2 each?

Shway
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
maicon is going to flourish at fc dallas

Roogsy
08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
oh, ok thanks

What about Martina and Kovermans 2 each?

Platita has more assists.

Roogsy
08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
^ So are you saying that Plata is our leading scorer now?????

I think so. :lol:

gate7
08-02-2011, 07:53 PM

does this mean its too late to vote??:sleep:

razor787
08-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Don't know Avila very much, but with it being a direct swap for him, he must be a decent player. If he is good enough to be a starting ACM, then I like the trade.

Fort York Redcoat
08-03-2011, 07:21 AM
So we find out if we have to play Santos in CCL tonight. Vamos Alianza!

DichioTFC
08-06-2011, 05:18 AM
^ Do we cheer former captain Maicon Santos when FCD comes to BMO?

s2cazz
08-08-2011, 10:33 AM
^ Do we cheer former captain Maicon Santos when FCD comes to BMO?

I think we should give all former players (Cuntingham excluded) a respectful clap when they come back to play at BMO. They did play here and as long as they showed the badge some respect they deserve it back.

Yohan
10-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Ever since Maicon Santos joined Dallas, Dallas has been on a downward spiral. (1 win, 2 draws, 6 losses in games that Santos has played in) Santos has scored 2 goals in 8 appearances so far for Dallas

ManUtd4ever
10-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Avila has been a worthwhile acquisition.

Mr. Bigby
10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
It looks like Avila fits in much better to Winter's vision of the style of football that he want's TFC to play. It doesn't mean that Santos was/is bad, but he didn't fit into Winter's preferred formations. My own opinion is that Santos could be lazy or disinterested on the field, wile Avila, on the other hand, always seems to be trying. I think that of the two, Avila has the best potential for a brighter future.

BuSaPuNk
10-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Santos might just be suffering from the system in Dallas. He seemed to fit well in the system here last year. He does seem alot like a half poacher half individual talent like DeRo. He had both while he was here. He either is suffering due to the system (Havn't watched enough Dallas to see there system) that Dallas is playing or isn't getting the service or bounces like he was here.

Yohan
10-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Santos might just be suffering from the system in Dallas. He seemed to fit well in the system here last year. He does seem alot like a half poacher half individual talent like DeRo. He had both while he was here. He either is suffering due to the system (Havn't watched enough Dallas to see there system) that Dallas is playing or isn't getting the service or bounces like he was here.
Santos just can't play in any system that he must be the lone striker. He is a very limited striker who needs a partner to play up top with