PDA

View Full Version : TFC @ Sporting KC Pre-Match Thread

ManUtd4ever
07-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Hopefully, Eckersley, JDG, and Dunfield will all be available tomorrow in what should be the strongest lineup TFC has fielded this season. The new players on the roster are still in the process of developing a sense of familiarity, but I think the expectation of a result in KC is definitely within reason.

I'm hoping for a victory, but expecting a draw.

C'MON YOU NEW REDS!

:scarf:

-----------------Frei-------------------

Eckersley---Viator---Iro---Yourassowsky

-----DeGuzman--------Dunfield---------

----------------Frings------------------

Soolsma------------------------Johnson

--------------Koevermans--------------

Subs: Santos, Plata, Martina

backbeat
07-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Hopefully, Eckersley, JDG, and Dunfield will all be available tomorrow in what should be the strongest lineup TFC has fielded this season. The new players on the roster are still in the process of developing a sense of familiarity, but I think the expectation of a result in KC is definitely within reason.

C'MON YOU NEW REDS!

I REALLY like that line-up except i'd point Frings back (or i might even put JDG point up and Dunfield back with Frings)

ManUtd4ever
07-22-2011, 03:00 PM
I REALLY like that line-up except i'd point Frings back (or i might even put JDG point up and Dunfield back with Frings)

I like it. Frings can stay back or push forward depending on the flow of the match and distribute effectively from anywhere in the centre of the pitch.

Gazza
07-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Keys to victory:

Shoot. Pass. Kick 'em in the ass!

menefreghista
07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Gol TV is free for the time being. So if you have satellite or digital cable you should have access to this game.

Couchy81
07-22-2011, 03:25 PM
IF that is the starting lineup, I'm confident we will at least draw.

I hope I get 3G reception up at MoSport, gonna be camped out for the Grand Prix this weekend. The JustinTV app has come in handy on more than one occasion.

UltraFootyKWC
07-22-2011, 03:26 PM
I like that line-up very much. I would say that Dunfield and Frings in front of the CBs and DeGuzman playing point forward.

Auzzy
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Folks, it's going to be effin HOT at this game. 29 C at game time (7:30 local, 8:30 EST) is bad enough, but 80% humidity is deadly. (For comparison, we've had 40-50% rel. humidity in Toronto during this heat wave, and that already felt extremely sticky.) Kouvermans and some of the others aren't going to do well.

They have to play smart & not give away too many chances or expend too much energy early. No idea if they can do that.

PopePouri
07-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Best lineup that we can field. Maybe Plata instead of Soolsma even though he had a rough game on Wednesday.

MorrisGarage
07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Please, someone email this to Aron Winter, so we don't witness Harden at CB tomorrow

ensco
07-22-2011, 03:55 PM
I am curious to see how Jeferson compares to our DP signings. They went down a path I think is very interesting (ie getting a 27 year old at the margins in the Brazilian first division). Plus it's a loan, so they've managed their risk well, if it doesn't work out.

pekduck
07-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Iro and Viator both new in the CB may not be good, I suspect Harden still starts there for this game and possibly next one until Iro and Viator becomes familiar with the other players...

PopePouri
07-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Iro and Viator both new in the CB may not be good, I suspect Harden still starts there for this game and possibly next one until Iro and Viator becomes familiar with the other players...

Aren't Harden and Iro are both new at CB anyways?

pekduck
07-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Aren't Harden and Iro are both new at CB anyways?

Harden has been there in TFC CB role for too many games :rolleyes:

Roogsy
07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I think the extra time with the DPs will be helpful. Even these few extra days. But an away game, in the heat against a team on fire...I am going to predict that we can't overcome that to get a win on the road.

1-1 final score. Frings with a bullet from a free kick in the last 15 minutes after KC goes up 1-0 in the first half.

Stryker
07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
I'll be surprised if JDG starts. I want to see what Griffit can do anyway.

Ecks----Viator----Iro----Yourass
-------Frings------Dunfield------
-------------Griffit--------------
Plata--------------------Johnson
-----------Kovermans-----------

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
^Isn't Griffit required to sit out a few more games because he was on injured reserve?

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Could also use Eck at CB and Viator at RB.

backbeat
07-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Could also use Eck at CB and Viator at RB.

i would prefer that option to seeing Harden

Stryker
07-22-2011, 04:42 PM
^Isn't Griffit required to sit out a few more games because he was on injured reserve?

Oh yes id forgotton about that. No idea on how that rule works.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-22-2011, 04:44 PM
id be shocked if they put Ecks at CB again with three natural options (harden being the worst of the lot)

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-22-2011, 04:51 PM
^Yes, but unlike the other CB options, Ecks doesn't shit his pants when in possession of the ball.

prizby
07-22-2011, 05:12 PM
rest the key players...time to focus on champions league...we can do some damage!

SoccMan
07-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Yourassowsky should try to stay as far away from the field as possible. I have been coaching youth soccer for many years and the one thing I look for in a player is the ability to maintain possesion, making and completing passes and not getting caught in possesion. Yourassowsky has been caught in possesion too many times to even comment on , passes more often have gone to the other team, this guy is an example of what has been wrong with TFC this season. This is the sort of player we need to let go of if we expect to improve in this league. You can of course add Harden and his buddy Borman to that list, the faster these posers leave the sooner this team will improve.

jloome
07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I am curious to see how Jeferson compares to our DP signings. They went down a path I think is very interesting (ie getting a 27 year old at the margins in the Brazilian first division). Plus it's a loan, so they've managed their risk well, if it doesn't work out.

Apparently he looked really good in their Newcastle exhibition, best player on the pitch. He's more a Brazilian hired gun than a journeyman; like Emerson and Washington and some of the other recent offensive threats who didn't quite crack the euro top drawer.

billyfly
07-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Sporting are gonna kill Juventus tomorrow. (sorry wrong thread)

Empirical
07-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Best lineup that we can field. Maybe Plata instead of Soolsma even though he had a rough game on Wednesday.

I was watching a game, TFC was playing FC Dallas, there were a few attacks where the only player in Red was Plata. Factor that in.

Thomas
07-22-2011, 10:28 PM
IF that is the starting lineup, I'm confident we will at least draw.

I hope I get 3G reception up at MoSport, gonna be camped out for the Grand Prix this weekend. The JustinTV app has come in handy on more than one occasion.
Reception can be spotty at Mosport, depending on what part of the track you are situated. If you have one of those internet radio apps, you can get the AM broadcast. I used that a few times this year when overseas.

tfcocd
07-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I'll be surprised if JDG starts. I want to see what Griffit can do anyway.

Ecks----Viator----Iro----Yourass
-------Frings------Dunfield------
-------------Griffit--------------

I don't think the lineup will change much:

Ecks----Harden----Iro----Borman
-------------Frings------------
----Soolsma---------Yourass----

MarkoftheDrink
07-22-2011, 10:52 PM

C'MON YOU NEW REDS!

Looks good, is Dunfield for sure a go for tomorrow?

Oh yes id forgotton about that. No idea on how that rule works.

The Frenchman missed the last seven games with an abdomen strain and was put on the injured reserve list last week and must remain there four more games.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/07/15/crew-say-tchani-acquisition-was-offense-minded-move

Couchy81
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Reception can be spotty at Mosport, depending on what part of the track you are situated. If you have one of those internet radio apps, you can get the AM broadcast. I used that a few times this year when overseas.

Thanks for the tip

MarkoftheDrink
07-22-2011, 10:58 PM
TORONTO FC – OUT: MF Elbekay Bouchiba (R knee surgery recovery); DF Adrian Cann (R knee sprain); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); MF Leandre Griffit (abdominal strain); QUESTIONABLE: MF Julian de Guzman (L knee swelling); FW Maicon Santos (R hamstring strain); MF Terry Dunfield (R adductor strain)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-07-23-sporting-kansas-city-vs-toronto-fc/preview

Empirical
07-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Omphroy---Ecks---Iro---Yourassowsky

-----DeGuzman--------Frings---------

----------------Santos------------------

Plata------------------------Johnson

Subs: Dunfield, Sools, J. Martina

gomesv
07-23-2011, 12:53 AM

Omphroy---Ecks---Iro---Yourassowsky

-----DeGuzman--------Frings---------

----------------Santos------------------

Plata------------------------Johnson

Subs: Dunfield, Sools, J. Martina

Can't agree with Santos as AM, Ecks needs to be RB and maybe try new guy Viator at CB with IRO

other than that looks good

denime
07-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Richard Eckersley surely will return to the starting group from suspension, while Terry Dunfield and Julian de Guzman should be in the opening XI if they are fit to compete.Reds shuffle off to K.C. (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/22/reds-shuffle-off-to-kc)

It would be nice to see the line up with Dunfield,Frings and JDG in the middle but I think we will have to wait few more games.

Yohan
07-23-2011, 07:57 AM
historically TFC has gotten a lot of results vs KC... KC has a shaky back line but really good attack. Potential to get a draw is not out of question.

Heathen
07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Reds shuffle off to K.C. (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/22/reds-shuffle-off-to-kc)

It would be nice to see the line up with Dunfield,Frings and JDG in the middle but I think we will have to wait few more games.

Yes! this is what I'm waiting for too. I think that combination could totally change our fortunes

TFC1154ever
07-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Eskerley---Viator---Iro---Yourassowsky

-----------------Frings-----------------

-------De Guzman------------Dunfield---

Plata------------------------Martina

Like to see what Martina can do with frings supplying good balls to 2 wingers that can beat a man 1 on 1. Thought Viator was good in the air but couldn't cross, put him at CB.

Stryker
07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Plata has been far more impressive as a sub than a starter MOST games and for that reason I'd like Martina (Soolsma) starting on the right and Johnson (Plata) on the left.

Roogsy
07-23-2011, 02:03 PM
historically TFC has gotten a lot of results vs KC... KC has a shaky back line but really good attack. Potential to get a draw is not out of question.

TFC is 3-4-4 historically against KC. Given our overall poor record against all teams, I think you're right that this one one of our best records against particular teams, but still not in our favour.

bigtfcfan
07-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Eskerley---Viator---Iro---Yourassowsky

-----------------Frings-----------------

-------De Guzman------------Dunfield---

Plata------------------------Martina

Like to see what Martina can do with frings supplying good balls to 2 wingers that can beat a man 1 on 1. Thought Viator was good in the air but couldn't cross, put him at CB.

Fully agree with this line-up

Roogsy
07-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Fully agree with this line-up

It would be a very effective lineup in the near future hopefully, but JDG and Dunfield are not available today due to injury.

Ron Manager
07-23-2011, 02:11 PM
http://this11.com/boards/131144824211199.jpg (http://this11.com)

KGH
07-23-2011, 02:25 PM
http://this11.com/boards/131144824211199.jpg (http://this11.com)

Are we 100% Dunfield is out? Otherwise this gets a big :cheers: from me

Ron Manager
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Are we 100% Dunfield is out? Otherwise this gets a big :cheers: from me

Dunfield for Sturgis if he's fit, but likely put JDG back with Frings

J .
07-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Dunfield paired with Frings would be a very strong central pairing. I hope JDG can play AM like he did a few years back at the Gold Cup

leafsman
07-23-2011, 03:18 PM
does TFC have a good chance at a draw? they are +1 on bodog right now

Dreadlocks
07-23-2011, 03:49 PM
If the midfield is Frings, JDG and Dunfield then I think Frings will sit over the back four with JGD and Dunfield playing the right and left sides in a more advanced role.

The best back 4 imo is Ecks on the right with Iro and Viator in the middle with either Yourass or Borman (neither of the 2 are good enough) on the left.

Up top Koevermans in the middle and I'd start with Soolsma and Martina. The only reason why I suggest these two on the wings is becasue they may have the best understanding of their role in the 4-3-3.

Subs: Harden, Plata, Santos, Johnson, Gargan, Yourass/Borman, Sturgis

http://this11.com/boards/1311455879148827.jpg

Davenport
07-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Two questions.
What did Iro and Viator do on Wednesday to convince anyone to put them together as a central defensive pairing ? It's a recipe for disaster.
Yourrassowsky as a defender...or anywhere for that matter..that's a joke, right ?
Johnson has to play ahead of Martina.

Dreadlocks
07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Two questions.
What did Iro and Viator do on Wednesday to convince anyone to put them together as a central defensive pairing ? It's a recipe for disaster.
Yourrassowsky as a defender...or anywhere for that matter..that's a joke, right ?

I picked them by default. If there's no Iro or Viator that means Harden plays. If no Yourass then that means Borman.

PopePouri
07-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Viator is a CB

Yourass is a defender.

denime
07-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Two questions.

Yes,he is LB,and always was until he came here and was asked to play mid.

LesH
07-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes,he is LB,and always was until he came here and was asked to play mid.

Correct.

And this is something like a plague, that happened way too many times in the 4.5 years of TFC's history: players asked to play out of position forever!

Wagner
07-23-2011, 05:55 PM
anyone going to Joe's to watch the game??

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Two questions.

Viator's native position is CB. I think calling it a recipe for disaster is a bit harsh, based on one game, when he had signed with the team the same day, and been asked to play out of position with players he was unfamiliar with.

I hope Dunfield and/or JDG can play today.

- Scott

Soccerpro
07-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Skc 2 Tfc 1

Redpunkfiddle
07-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Starting lineup:

Frei; Viator, Eckersley, Iro, Yourassowsky; Frings, Maicon, Zavarise; Soolsma, Koevermans, Johnson

moralis
07-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Winter is really going with an offensive lineup, he must have confidence that TFC will score goal early and keep a lead. No one offensive on the bench. Julien, Dunfield, Plata, Martina or Griffit did not travel with team.

SUBS for TFC: Kocic, Morgan, Harden, Sturgis, Borman, Henry and Stinson

LukeWileman (http://twitter.com/#%21/LukeWileman) Luke Wileman

No Dunfield, de Guzman or Griffit again for @torontofc (http://twitter.com/torontofc) tonight. Martina, Gargan and Plata also didn't travel

17 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/LukeWileman/status/94912295448227841)

KGH
07-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Starting lineup:

Frei; Viator, Eckersley, Iro, Yourassowsky; Frings, Maicon, Zavarise; Soolsma, Koevermans, Johnson

Crap...almost there. Just a weak midfield.

Soccerpro
07-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Starting lineup:

I like the lineup. No obvious weak points at the back.

moralis
07-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Surprised Martina did not make the trip, especially when we have nobody offensive on the bench. Does Winter have an issue with Martina or is he just injured.

jloome
07-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Surprised Martina did not make the trip, especially when we have nobody offensive on the bench. Does Winter have an issue with Martina or is he just injured.

Probably resting him and Plata to start both against Real Estreli.

Dreadlocks
07-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Starting lineup:

Midfield definitely lacking but we'll see how it goes.

Oldtimer
07-23-2011, 07:19 PM
We'll move now to the match thread, which someone already helpfully started:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28971