PDA

View Full Version : Letter of the day (Toronto Sun)

Oblio2
07-07-2008, 07:40 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/FanFare/2008/07/05/6072451-sun.html

:noidea:

lol

koryo
07-07-2008, 07:47 AM
So he whinges about everything under the sun then.

Fucking tosser. East Anglia can have him.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-07-2008, 07:48 AM
LOL that's some random shit. Oh no I can't keep my bottle cap...wtf

Shaughno
07-07-2008, 07:50 AM
My granddad had told me about this. Funny thing is, we had a discussion about it a week ago. :lol: The water bottle shit is ridiculous.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-07-2008, 07:51 AM
They do it in most stadiums actually...I know I've been to a tonne in the states that won't let you keep the cap. How accurate must one be to hit a player in the eye with one.

ensco
07-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Give me a break. This is standard practice everywhere in North America (sorry but Bristol or Wolverhampton is not relevant).

You can't keep the bottle cap because, with it, the bottle could be a heavy projectile. Without it, if thrown, the liquid will spill as it's in the air.

There are lots of containers for kids that BMO allows - I've done it with my kids.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Give me a break. This is standard practice everywhere in North America (sorry but Bristol or Wolverhampton is not relevant).

You can't keep the bottle cap because, with it, the bottle could be a heavy projectile. Without it, if thrown, the liquid will spill as it's in the air.

There are lots of containers for kids that BMO allows - I've done it with my kids.

Yea I forgot about that too, when the bottle is empty that shit could shoot pretty fast/hard. Still don't know how in the hell a man complaining about his daughter's bottle cap made the "Letter of the Day"

rocker
07-07-2008, 08:01 AM
at the vanny game I ordered a smoke meat sandwich plus a water on the east side of the stadium, and the lady never took the cap off. Neither for my friend's coke.
I kept the cap ;) so now when I go to games I just bring my handy cap with me!

SilverSamurai
07-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Whiner. All I have to say about that.

olegunnar
07-07-2008, 08:03 AM
He obviously wants free tickets

Shaughno
07-07-2008, 08:12 AM
He obviously wants free tickets

Bingo!

Eastend
07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I know it's not the popular thing to go against the point of view of the thread but sorry, I think he does have a point. Think about it....not allowing people to keep the cap on the bottle yet allow streamers to be thrown on to the field makes absolutely zero sense.

.........and no, I'm not saying to stop the streamers, just saying he has a point.

Cheers,
Dom.

noochie
07-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Or you could do what most parents do... bring your kid another cup to pour the damn water into. This is clearly the view of someone who sits on their ass in front of the TV all day complaining about the weather.

noochie
07-07-2008, 08:21 AM
I know it's not the popular thing to go against the point of view of the thread but sorry, I think he does have a point. Think about it....not allowing people to keep the cap on the bottle yet allow streamers to be thrown on to the field makes absolutely zero sense.

.........and no, I'm not saying to stop the streamers, just saying he has a point.

Cheers,
Dom.

A full bottle of water hurts a little bit more than a streamer ;)

With the cap off... it would never hit with the same force.

Eastend
07-07-2008, 08:24 AM
I agree, but the point is it's still throwing something on to the field....anyway, I'm not here to go back and forth on what type of projectile would hurt more when hit by it, just saying he has a point.

Cheers,
Dom.

olegunnar
07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree, but the point is it's still throwing something on to the field....anyway, I'm not here to go back and forth on what type of projectile would hurt more when hit by it, just saying he has a point.

Cheers,
Dom.

I agree he has a point.

I just think he belies his true intentions when he goes on about taking his young daughter to a game on a National Holiday!! Oh what a noble guy!
And it was very nice of him too to include how much he spent on the tickets. He's a high roller, and you think for that amount he'd be able to keep the lid.
Also the potshots at our club and implications that the Brits know how to do it better (this wouldn't happen at the games I pretended to go to over seas) is arrogant.

What a poor man and his poor daughter, so persecuted and hard done by.
I hope that MLSE finds it within their hearts to compensate him and his poor innocent daughter appropriately.

Parkdale
07-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Whiner. All I have to say about that.

anyone who writes letter to the editor is a whiner.

http://www.mikepirone.com/albums/People/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg

bangersandmash
07-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I wonder if he asked anyone to replace his water. I once tripped going up the stairs to my seat and spilled my $100 beer (ok, maybe it wasn't that much). I turned around, walked back to the same beer stall and showed them my empty cup. They remembered that I had just been there and gave me a free refil. :) I'm sure they could have done the same for a 6 year old (with water, not beer, natch).

dannyd
07-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I don't understand what he's talking about in England. Maybe it's just the games I go to, but I've never been allowed to bring anything into a British stadium - they won't even give bottles, they'll pour your drinks into a cup. I don't see how it's different in England. I don't go to many games here besides TFC, so I'm not sure what it's like at other sporting events in Canada...

kitchener-TFC
07-07-2008, 09:06 AM

lol
C'mon buddy, unsportsmanlike?

BritSOL
07-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Why pay for water?

Ask for a cup of tap water and they have to give it to you.

Blazer
07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
He’s obviously never been hit with a streamer before. We should have him back to the field and give him a pre-game corner kick.

Kevvv
07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Why pay for water?

Ask for a cup of tap water and they have to give it to you.

True! Although some will bitch, be confused, or assume you want to pay ~$4 for fancy bottled tap water.

tfc2007
07-07-2008, 09:24 AM
They do it in most stadiums actually...I know I've been to a tonne in the states that won't let you keep the cap. How accurate must one be to hit a player in the eye with one.

its not so you cant throw the cap.. but its easier to throw a bottle with a cap on it.

toonarmy
07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
He has a point. Security should be taking the streamers and fans shouldn't be throwing them on the field.

jabbronies
07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
it is a bit of a piss off to not have the cap....Balancing two beers and two waters with no caps or lids on a hot 30+ day is a pain in the fucking ass.

The reason they don't allow the cap is probably because a bottle or capped water will fly much farther and have a greater impact than an open bottle.

jaahuuu
07-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't think any one mentioned this: "My daughter's half-used bottle of water was another story. It was confiscated."

With the exception of minor league baseball, I've never been able to bring outside food or drinks into any sporting event. I've even been to concerts where outside bottles of water are allowed in but they take the cap when you go through security.

I bet if they sold streamers at BMO you wouldn't be allowed to bring those in either.

ExiledRed
07-07-2008, 10:29 AM
It made letter of the day because of the response it will generate.

It's a backhanded compliment from the rag.

nancymiranda
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
you know what... most stadiums keep the cap..... instead of whining up, down and backwards..... bring a cap from home and stick it in your pant pocket!
I found the majority of bottles are the same size - so the caps from other bottles should work.

Parkdale
07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
you know what... most stadiums keep the cap..... instead of whining up, down and backwards..... bring a cap from home and stick it in your pant pocket!
I found the majority of bottles are the same size - so the caps from other bottles should work.

^ now that... is thinking ahead!

Don Julio
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Not getting a cap with your bottle of water is Letter of the Day?

Wow.

Kevvv
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Unfortunately, there're not the same size-even the pop and juice at BMO don't have the same size cap. But I do try to remember to stick a cap in my pocket, because anything that can spill will spill.

Kevvv
07-07-2008, 11:27 AM

Wow.

Yes, and the Beans on Toast thread is on page 5...

GingerNinja
07-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Bottles can be thrown just as far without a cap on them.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-07-2008, 11:35 AM
sour grapes from that guy...bloody hell they didn't have the lids for the collector coca cola cups i want to portest!!!

TFC John
07-07-2008, 11:40 AM

That is thinking ahead and that is why I bring a cap with me to the games. However at the Vancouver game BMO outsmarted me. Usually I buy a bottle of lemonade. They used to sell Minute Maid with a small neck, but when I bought a lemonade on Canada Day they gave me a Del Monte with a large neck. Foiled again!

BTW this was my first day in 112 and I did see a bottle of water thrown onto the field from a couple of rows in front of me. I couldn't tell if it had a cap or not but either way it would have hurt. Fortunately the idiot throwing it had lousy aim and it landed just outside the touch line in front of 111.

TicTacTabarnack
07-07-2008, 12:59 PM

lol

Ahhhhhhh Mufffffin!

Laurie79
07-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm completely confused because I was under the impression streamers are not "banned" as they can still be thrown during the anthems.

To say nothing of the fact it wasn't a regular MLS league game anyway (so what regs apply?!)

Parents should just take some responsibility for themselves and do a bit of research before going to something like this. I notice he knew "something" about streamers, why was he not aware of "no outside food or drink" policy that applies EVERYWHERE ON THE PLANET?

I swear if they give this asshole free tix...

Parkdale
07-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I swear if they give this asshole free tix...

we find out where he sits, and WHO ARE YA? him all game long

Damien
07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.mikepirone.com/albums/People/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg

LOL! Love this! FUCK YOU CLOUD!

Toronto Ruffrider
07-07-2008, 01:17 PM
What a tool. Apparently crepe paper causes more injuries than bottle caps and other hard projectiles. I better duck the next time I'm near a parade route.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Wow.

Yeah, I'm reading this and thinking, "It's great to live in a city that has so few issues that the 'letter of the day' is about bottle caps".

Kinda sums up the Sun and it's readers…keep up the good work…

bdrs
07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Funny thing is I swear this guy was going in right behind me (I would be the guy with the bag o'streamers lol) but saw him and his little girl getting roused about the water. Really just sounds like the guy is bummed he is a crappy dad and wants to blame someone else for it. Try doing some research about an event before you bring your six year old... or buy more water
...and some streamers!!!

TicTacTabarnack
07-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Seriously! People bitch about the dumbest things! I had a serious conversation with my buddy that just came back from Afghanistan on the topic of how we complain about the most mundane of things here in Canada. People in this World are dying from starvation, are being oppressed, pillaged, raped, attacked by suicide bombers and this guy is bitching about f***ing BOTTLE CAPS!

For the love of God!!! Get a life, buy your kid another bottle of water or go to the water fountain if you're too damn cheap to pay for another over-priced water! :taz:

Whitby_Girl
07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

I do this for every game... I stop on my way down to the stadium, buy a bottle of Dasani (shudder) and just take my cap in with me. I buy my water in the stadium and pop the lid on. Simple!

Jimmy The Saint
07-07-2008, 02:09 PM
LOL! Love this! FUCK YOU CLOUD!

I think this one's pretty good too...

http://www.jamesdeane.net/TFC/Parkie_Simpson.jpg

Parkdale
07-07-2008, 02:12 PM
^ ahahahahah you weasel!

jloome
07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Nice to watch the bigger picture go sailing over everyone's heads.....

IT's the first time I remember a TFC missive being letter of the day, and they -- of course -- pick one that is both negative, and stupid; meanwhile, every week the paper ignores plenty of letters about tfc altogether. Says a lot about the "official" paper of the team, which still doesn't even have a soccer section on its sports web page.

Jimmy The Saint
07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice to watch the bigger picture go sailing over everyone's heads.....

IT's the first time I remember a TFC missive being letter of the day, and they -- of course -- pick one that is both negative, and stupid; meanwhile, every week the paper ignores plenty of letters about tfc altogether. Says a lot about the "official" paper of the team, which still doesn't even have a soccer section on its sports web page.

What can I say, I like Photoshop :)

I see what you're saying, but really I think that the thread show exactly what everyone thinks of the Sun (barring Page 3) as a journalistic medium. This is a newspaper that prioritizes their covers using the Maple Leafs Home and Away Schedule; I saw Tragedy in Tibet on the Star, the (ack) Post and the Globe, but the SUN was a big picture of Tucker getting his ass handed to him and a hedaline similar to LEAFS LOSE!

The SUN is not going to get any of its major readers to all of a sudden become football fans if it adds a Soccer Section.

Parkdale
07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
The sun is a rag for selling cars. that's it.

RedRum
07-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree that the guy comes off sounding like a real whiner, but I for one am pleased to see MLSE finally get some bad press about their water policy.

It's complete BS that you are not permitted to bring water into the stadium in blazing afternoon sun during the dead of summer. Worst of all, Paul assured me in one of the off-season ask mlsintoronto threads that the rule would be changed to allow us to bring water into the stadium on hot days, yet nothing has changed.

The cap causes a projectile argument is complete BS. If you want to be an asshole and throw something that could do some damage just ball up the the change in your pocket. That would do alot more damage that a plastic bottle of water, cap or no cap.

Cashcleaner
07-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Writing a response to the Sun right now. I suggest others do the same and put this guy in his place.

Re: Unsportsmanline Conduct (Alex Crichton, Sat. July 5, 2008)

While Mr. Crichton is certainly entitled to his opinion about the Toronto soccer fans and overall atmosphere at BMO Field, he is incorrect about a few items. Firstly, water or soda bottles are not allowed to be capped and are sold without them not because the cap itself can be thrown onto the pitch, but rather so the entire bottle won't be filled up and thrown with a liquid inside.

Despite what Eric believes, I've yet to see a person injured by a piece of harmless coloured paper thrown onto the pitch, but surely the same could not be said for a 750 ml bottle filled with water and capped.

Furthermore, I've been to several EPL and SPL matches in my life, and many clubs in the UK have the same no-cap policy towards bottles.

GaryJamboTFC
07-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Cheers,
Dom.

His point is on the top of his head. The rest of his complaint is completely utterly totally mindless bitching. The arsepirate is unhappy about his $3.75. Stay home, wad. The water there is cheaper.

Mango Kid
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Right, and there's NO such concern for security in England. What a D-bag.

Blazer
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Writing a response to the Sun right now. I suggest others do the same and put this guy in his place.

Not worth it. Sounds like he won’t be back anytime soon which is exactly what we need.

ExiledRed
07-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Cmon Cash, What isa the fucking point?

Did the writer bitch about anything to do with the team? management, the players, the game in general or the typical behaviour of fans?

no, he illustrated a major flaw in BMO policy, which is to force parents to buy water for their kids at disgustingly inflated prices, he's not buying the projectile argument (which he should) and he believes that this an 'excuse.'

If throwing bottles was not a concern, do you think they'd allow us to bring our own unopened water bottles in?

You're input may as well be unpaid damage control for MLSE.

Rocco
07-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Funny part is I brought my water bottle WITH the cap in that day. Security said nothing at all. At the Pachuca game however, security made me remove it. I usually keep a second cap in my pocket so.....

adampz
07-08-2008, 09:24 PM
what an asshole, does this guy know that people used to kill eachother in england over football, does he know that in england you cant drink anything at your seat? Obviously this guy doesnt know much about footy.

Cambridge_Red
07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
I bought a water off one of the walking vendors he left the cap on it for me because I was struggling with two large beers already. :D Nice chap.

S_D
07-08-2008, 09:50 PM
what an asshole, does this guy know that people used to kill eachother in england over football, does he know that in england you cant drink anything at your seat? Obviously this guy doesnt know much about footy.

Actually the guy probably is farthest away from being an ass as possible. I can understand where the guy is coming from. He is taking his daughter out to a game and throwing an object at a player is not something that would even cross his mind. I have a 5 year old daughter and the first thing I ever learned was when you give a preschooler a drink, a lid is always required because the drink usually ends up on them or you :D.

When I took my daughter to a few games last year I just brought a sippy cup and put her drink in there. I never had a problem with security over it. I just had to show them it was empty before being allowed to bring it in.

Sure he may not know about the past problems in Europe, but that just makes him ignorant of footie history, not an asshole.

adampz
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Actually the guy probably is farthest away from being an ass as possible. I can understand where the guy is coming from. He is taking his daughter out to a game and throwing an object at a player is not something that would even cross his mind. I have a 5 year old daughter and the first thing I ever learned was when you give a preschooler a drink, a lid is always required because the drink usually ends up on them or you :D.

When I took my daughter to a few games last year I just brought a sippy cup and put her drink in there. I never had a problem with security over it. I just had to show them it was empty before being allowed to bring it in.

Sure he may not know about the past problems in Europe, but that just makes him ignorant of footie history, not an asshole. Ya, an asshole was taking it too far, ignorant, or just rude is better, since hes giving tfc a bad rep, and making it out to be worse then it actually is, he should try taking his daughter to a game in another country, like serbia, croatia, or poland, i doubt he would be complaining about bmo rules after that. We have it pretty good at BMO.

MUFC_Niagara
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
most stadiums in england prohibit alcohol in the stands or the stadium in some places....not to mention that people have been complaining about the atmosphere in the premiership the last couple years....so this guy will fit right in with the whining and the golf clapping...

Cambridge_Red
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah I know for sure the Molineux (Wolverhampton) doesn't serve alcohol nor a decent pork pie.... You have to wander across the road to the "Goal Post" pub for some bbq chicken and a pint of Banks's from a west indian fellow. Yummy!

Flipityflu
07-08-2008, 10:35 PM

thats what i do ;)

adampz
07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah I know for sure the Molineux (Wolverhampton) doesn't serve alcohol nor a decent pork pie.... You have to wander across the road to the "Goal Post" pub for some bbq chicken and a pint of Banks's from a west indian fellow. Yummy! Thats why you need a balance, premier league has sooo many rules now, best football in the world, but not the best atmosphere. On the other hand, fans from countries like poland and serbia, take it too far most of the time, and they dont have high average attendance so its a bit like NYRB games. I think the league that has the best fans,that don't take their support over the top, is france, aslong as you're not with PSG fans. They have great atmospheres, but dont take it too far.

Cashcleaner
07-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Cmon Cash, What isa the fucking point?

Did the writer bitch about anything to do with the team? management, the players, the game in general or the typical behaviour of fans?

no, he illustrated a major flaw in BMO policy, which is to force parents to buy water for their kids at disgustingly inflated prices, he's not buying the projectile argument (which he should) and he believes that this an 'excuse.'

If throwing bottles was not a concern, do you think they'd allow us to bring our own unopened water bottles in?

You're input may as well be unpaid damage control for MLSE.

I'm pointing out the errors in his argument. Read my response and you'll note that I point out two things. Firstly, the bottles aren't allowed caps not because you can throw the cap, but because it prevents the whole bottle with liquid from being thrown. Secondly, several venues in the UK have the same policy towards bottle caps.

When people are wrong, a correction should be made. Simple as that.

James Oliphant
07-09-2008, 01:16 AM
"Hence, I had to buy her water (it was 26C)..."

Yeah, 'cause in 26 degree heat, you'll dry out faster than a post-menopausal woman in the fucking Sahara.

That's 4 degrees above room temperature, for those keeping track. Hardly a scorched earth scenario here...

Torcida
07-09-2008, 02:16 AM
I thought we were allowed to bring bottles of water to TFC games??

Blizzard
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Ya, an asshole was taking it too far, ignorant, or just rude is better, since hes giving tfc a bad rep, and making it out to be worse then it actually is, he should try taking his daughter to a game in another country, like serbia, croatia, or poland, i doubt he would be complaining about bmo rules after that. We have it pretty good at BMO.

Some people just react badly to not being able to do whatever they want to do.

Most will accept it. Others like this fellow go out to make it a cause celebre.

Oldtimer
07-09-2008, 09:33 AM

I've had mine confiscated. I've tried sealed bottles, and even empty ones without caps (to fill up at the water fountain).

Mark in Ottawa
07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I can sympathize with this gentleman. He is just trying to have a fun day with his kid and external forces make it difficult. But then again the list of prohibited items is posted all over the place in reference to attending games and placing a bottle cap in ones pocket will solve this little problem.

Still... it is how the issue is dealt with that can cause the problem...
I took my 12 year old daughter to a local baseball game many years ago. She was wearing one of those little purses with a zippered type strap so it could be worn like a backpack. The security guard insisted on searching it even though it was about 6 inches in length and obviously would not hold much in way of "contraband" food or drinks which they obviously wanted you buying at the stadium.
My daughter was not impressed with some goof pawing thru her belongings and asked why other women were entering the stadium and not having their handheld or over the shoulder purses searched. We never got an answer to that one.
My daughter never again attended a ball game with or without me.

It was this kind of narrow thinking that killed that franchise here in Ottawa.

James Oliphant
07-09-2008, 12:51 PM

As far as I know, you're allowed to bring an empty bottle (no cap) and fill it up at a fountain or concession stand for free.

TicTacTabarnack
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM

Prohibited Items

For the safety and security of our fans, the following are not permitted inside BMO Field:

Outside Food & Beverage of any kind

Source: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/stadium/prohibited_items/

Rhapido
07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I have taken my seven year old son with me to just about every home game, this season and last, and the routine at the concession stand is the same every single time. I order him a bottle of orange juice, they bring it out, removing the cap, I ask them if they could pour it into one of their PAPER CUPS, so I can slap a LID on and poke a STRAW in it and not splill it as we walk back to our seats, they say "Of course -- no problem." and give me exactly that.

Then of course, we swing by the Carlsberg draft taps and...well, you know how that all ends.:drinking:

James Oliphant
07-11-2008, 12:55 AM
^
You give your seven-year-old son beer?

Denis
07-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Don't get why he's making out UK stadia governance is much better than at BMO. I assure you it is most certainly not and any bottles aren't allowed in the stadium. I happen to think it's pretty much common sense; bottles can injure whereas streamers can't really do that - they just put the kick taker off a bit.

He should go in the away end at Celtic Park and see how they deal with away fans. His letter would become a novel.