PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the new players first game

Doucet3
07-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Was just wondering what everyone thought of there first game, not the game just the newbies

Frings - 8.0 - Could easily anchor our mid, I'm already taking a liking to him, he plays great in mid, passes, moves, tatical, solid pickup, at 35 I just hope he's here for 3-6 seasons and retires, I'd vote him as captian... Only if he shows and improves on last night

Koeversmans - 6.5 - Seen a hint at his potential, considering he hasn't played since march I'm excited to see him at full match fitness and gelling with the team

Iro - 5.0 - Had a rough game in a good way and bad, great physical force but I think he got a little to excited his first night, not to mention he has no chem with his fellow backliners, needs time but I think, Iro, Cann, Eckersley will make a solid tandem for years to come and with Henry making good progress things are looking better on the back, still gunna miss Attakora though

Johnson - 5.0 - Kinda "not there" lol he's got time to gel let's see what he's got

Viator - 4.0 - didn't impress me that much made alot of mistakes, going to watch him more closely next game

Dunfield - I think hes going to be a steal, he gets knocked to much here by some, I think him at CDM and Fringes at L/RM and De Guzman at L/RM or sturgis ... I'd rather sturgis or Griffit and sell de guz

Griffit - Excited to see what he can bring seems like a decent player mabie has a chance to break into regular team play ?

What's your thoughts on the newbies?, really I'm seeing people already bash the new guys... Some times the supporters make me laugh at how ridiculas they are lol " 8 goals first game or bust" haha give em a break, koovs hasnt played in months and fronts is getting back into match shape

TFCREDNWHITE
07-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Frings 6.0

Koeverman 6.0

Whole back line garbage including Iro

Ryan Johnson 7.5 I'm liking this kid!

TFCRegina
07-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Frings was everything that we needed from JDG when JDG signed.

Koevermans I won't grade, he had shit service all night.

Johnson...meh

Iro - I can see why he's getting beat on but to be honest, anyone who has partnered with Harden this year has been hung out to dry. So basically everyone has been hung out dry.

TFC Bhoy
07-21-2011, 12:18 AM
One thing I liked about Frings was his ability to sometimes make a tackle or that to push a player a certain way, only we had no one to close him down once he did go that way.
On a number of times I saw him make a slide tackle and thought he just made them too early, but then realized he seemed to do it purposely, so that the player would turn to his other direction. Im assuming what Frings is used it is a team mate ready for this and close down the open area, but that didn't really happen often.

In any case I really liked what I saw from Frings, it seems to be the ltitle things I thought he did really well and look forward to seeing what he does once he and the team are together more.

Koeverman I thought was ok. Hoped for a bit more, but still learning our ways and that. Thought Plata was the best attacking player we had tonight.

Johnson and Iro were both hit and miss for me. I thoguht at times they made some good plays, tackles, moves etc, but then would do something sloppy not too long after. But show some promise.

brad
07-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Frings looked awesome, but missed his challenge on Shea on the goal.

Kovermans no where near match fit.

Iro looked no better than what we traded away. Decent MLS defender with no ability to pass out of the back.

Johnson was invisible.

Viator had good and bad moments. Need to see him after some time adapting to the MLS. I could see him being either really good or really bad.

brad
07-21-2011, 12:21 AM
I will also add that Frings performance tonight in that holding role should out into perspective how bad JDG has been in it.

colman1860
07-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Thought Frings played very well - yes, he missed the tackle before Shea's goal, but was hung out to dry by Yourrasowski losing the ball upfield and cannot be blamed for the goal. Distribution was excellent. I was starting to wonder whether I just don't know what to look for in a holding midfielder as I was never impressed by Robinson (like others) or DeGuzman (like much fewer others), but Frings played the role to perfection tonight, and looks (based on just this game) like a worthwhile investment.

Koevermans was invisible, barely involved in play. Can't really blame him, it will come with match fitness.

I liked Johnson more than most in this thread - he was unlucky at times, but I thought he brought a threat over the wing.

Iro looked shaky at times, though I like that he's being van Buyten'd - sent forward late in the game when we need a goal - he looked dangerous up there.

Wasn't impressed by Viator, especially by his crosses. Marginal improvement over Gargan.

Empirical
07-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Johnson and Frings = good

MartinUtd
07-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Frings was great, I was very impressed with his commanding presence and ability to hold the ball in traffic.

Kouvermans looked lazy out there, probably a fitness issue.

Johnson can't put in a cross to save his life.

Iro could have potential but is extremely shaky on the ball.

Viator looked okay at times and lost at others. I'd have to see him again, apparently he can play CB as well so it will be interesting to see if he goes inside with Iro or if Eckersley stays there.

Stryker
07-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Kovermans long range shot was a screamer headed for very top left corner. More times than not thats a goal in MLS.

ginkster88
07-21-2011, 06:37 AM
In defense of Koev's fitness, it was crazy hot last night. Plata was the only player not named Brek Shea thriving in the heat, and Shea is 21 years old.

ecospice
07-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Iro - 5.0 - Had a rough game in a good way and bad, great physical force but I think he got a little to excited his first night, not to mention he has no chem with his fellow backliners, needs time but I think, Iro, Cann, Eckersley will make a solid tandem for years to come and with Henry making good progress things are looking better on the back, still gunna miss Attakora though

I think the Eck is gone at the end of this year - his loan is up. We may not be able to get him back here next year.

ginkster88
07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Also, Cann is 32 and coming off of major injury, not sure how many years are left there.

koryo
07-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Frings is the man to run the midfield. Time to pack JDG's bags.

Iro: fantastic at knocking over opposing players (we need more of that), but not comfortable with a ball at his feet. Doesn't bode well for a system that requires a CB to play the ball out.

Viator: hit and miss. Mostly miss in the first half, less so in the second.

Koevermans: you can tell it's his pre-season. Mind you, that one volley he lashed on target from 5 miles out...

Johnson: neither here nor there at the moment.

I know we're talking new faces, but I'd just like to add that I thought Borman was the team's biggest liability last night.

Menelaos
07-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Torsten was great.

Language barrier be damned, when he needed to let them know they screwed up, message was clear for ALL to understand.

I hope Viator can get his act right, if it wasn't for Borman, he would have been my choice for worst of the night. Thank god Ecks will be there next game.

zeelaw
07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Frings can make a pass man.

KdotOdot
07-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Frings looked like he was 23 out there last night. He didn't stop running he directed traffic looked good.

The rest of the team looked like hot homeless shit. Except for Frei. I will never shit talk Frei.

menefreghista
07-21-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm worried that Koevermans could be come another Mista. Hopefully he regains fitness and I'm wrong.

Frings looks a class above. He disproved the De Guzman Theory (good players need to play with good players).

The others looked like MLS level parts.

We really do need to shore up our D or else all these moves are pointless.

kodiakTFC
07-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Frings can make a pass man.

Do you remember that ball he had in the second half. He was just outside our box towards the East side of the field and hit it right to Santos' chest downfield. I was so damn impressed, you never see service like that from TFC.

Menelaos
07-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Do you remember that ball he had in the second half. He was just outside our box towards the East side of the field and hit it right to Santos' chest downfield. I was so damn impressed, you never see service like that from TFC.

I know EXACTLY what pass you mean, I was totally impressed by it at the time :flare:

ACSertL
07-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Thought Frings played very well - yes, he missed the tackle before Shea's goal, but was hung out to dry by Yourrasowski losing the ball upfield and cannot be blamed for the goal. Distribution was excellent. I was starting to wonder whether I just don't know what to look for in a holding midfielder as I was never impressed by Robinson (like others) or DeGuzman (like much fewer others), but Frings played the role to perfection tonight, and looks (based on just this game) like a worthwhile investment.

Koevermans was invisible, barely involved in play. Can't really blame him, it will come with match fitness.

I liked Johnson more than most in this thread - he was unlucky at times, but I thought he brought a threat over the wing.

Iro looked shaky at times, though I like that he's being van Buyten'd - sent forward late in the game when we need a goal - he looked dangerous up there.

Wasn't impressed by Viator, especially by his crosses. Marginal improvement over Gargan.

I noticed this as well...and I kid you not, used the exact same term :lol:

I agree with you on everything else you've said, so thanks for saying it!

Globetrotter
07-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Koeverman will do nothing if we can't get him the ball. He should always play with soolsma.

the team is just terrible moving the ball forward.

jabbronies
07-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Holding Midfielders play heavily off of the the Defensive Backs, as well as the two attacking midfielders, and to some degree, the strikers.

When you've got Daniel Borman and Yourassowsky shitting the bed like they did, and a striker who is out of shape, as well as a CB who doesn't know what to do with a back pass - it leaves your options to move the ball limited.

And for Frings to play as well as he did with those shitheads running around the pitch, I'd say he has the potential TTLA :P

Red I
07-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Koeverman will do nothing if we can't get him the ball. He should always play with soolsma.

This may change drastically with the inclusion of Dunfield in the game, and by extension, De Guzman as well, i think. I'm still curious to see how De Guzman plays with Frings.

Detroit_TFC
07-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Maybe I am just projecting but it seemed that Frings was troubleshooting different areas, trying to read the game even if nobody else was. That's great but I hope he doesn't get frustrated by the incredibly thick players we have.

I am very curious to see how JDG is used once he is fit. Or is he already done?

More:
Yourassowsky was wretched last night. I don't understand the purpose of playing him, ever. He need to go.

MartinUtd
07-21-2011, 08:14 AM

I was very impressed with Soolsma last night and really hope he gets more starts. It seems like he's the only player that can put in a decent cross while being covered.

KGH
07-21-2011, 08:24 AM
I was very impressed with Soolsma last night and really hope he gets more starts. It seems like he's the only player that can put in a decent cross while being covered.

I wasn't part of the Soolsma fanclub at first because he's not quick.

But...

Man is he good at creating space on the wing and getting a cross in. He's been the most consistant all year at it. Problem is usually no one is there to receive the cross. With Soolsma, Koev, and Johnson on the front 3 with Plata off the pine I think we'll be Ok.

Belfast_Boy
07-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I always liked Frings but wasn't too sure how it work out in T.O.

was impressed last night, despite being surrounded by shit the stink didn't stick to him. hope he can drag the team up and not get pissed off.

surely we can get JDG out now!

there's not much to say about Koevermans, can't see what he can do if he doesn't get the ball. that being said he did have a nice poke from distance.

nickio
07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Here some observations close to fact:
-Dallas FC is a hot team lately, so is Shrek (Breck Sh...)
-1st goal was Yourass giveaway- he's had too many of them lately

Frings
-Best player on the team

Koevermans
-He knows he can do better, as do we

Johnson
-He was OK, not great, not bad- had a few nice passes and screwed up a few important crosses.
-Needs to be better if he is the final ball guy

Plata
-How about the hustle and putting pressure, anyone notice? The guy is a running machine
-Didn't like him on the right though, a few giveaways

Viator
-Not impressed, he struggled and his passing sucked. You can tell that this is a step up for him
-He is at best a depth (deep) defender

Harden
-Harden

Iro
-He needs confidence, and surely being on a lossing team it'll come quick...

Borman
-Iro was frustrated with him, because he is a garbage defender. He can't pass and can't defend.
-I would rather Gargan in his position

Sturgis
-He is a weakness and nothing impressive AT ALL / EVER!, no wonder he is being shopped around

Santos
-Had a decent game, he is a capable 2nd striker in the future for sure

I feel like we are 3-4 players from a complete starting side. With JDG, Dunfield, Eckersley and ANOTHER DEFENDER OR TWO I think we would have a complete side.

Right now we have Great players and players who Ruin what the great players create. The latter needs to get off the field. This is where I think JDG can really complement the new additions- he would complement Frings, Koevermans and Plata.

nimamalek
07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Fringes played very well great signing from what i've seen so far

Koeverman looked like Alan Gordon light, hope he improves, he didnt get much service but even with the long balls he was beaten pretty easily, Gordon would bring more balls down and lay them off

Johnson was ok but Soolsma is still our best winger as he showed when he came on. Hope Johnson doesnt get the start over Soolsma again

Viator looked like complete garbage

Iro had his moments but he made some horrible errors, I think he will look more promising when Harden is not beside him

Boondaddy
07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Frings was a true force out there so that's a big positive.

DK was Ali Gerba-ish last night but that's likely due to fitness. I saw bits of his quality but he needs more time.

Johnson looked like he was out of position last night....fumbling, slipping, and poor crossing.

We had our chances last night; just couldn't bag any as usual. BUT, at least for once, I can see where the goals are going to come from.

nimamalek
07-21-2011, 08:39 AM
I wasn't part of the Soolsma fanclub at first because he's not quick.

But...

Man is he good at creating space on the wing and getting a cross in. He's been the most consistant all year at it. Problem is usually no one is there to receive the cross. With Soolsma, Koev, and Johnson on the front 3 with Plata off the pine I think we'll be Ok.

unfortunately Winter is blind and continually starts Plata and others over him, he won us 2 corners and set Santos up for a perfect header in the few minutes he was on.

dupont
07-21-2011, 08:40 AM

That pass was famous! Everyone in 110 was talking about it for a long time afterward!

ensco
07-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Soolsma: he had at least two terrific crosses. But he might be the slowest player in the league, and we might be the slowest team in the league.

We were exposed a lot by Dallas' quickness. Part of it was that it was kind of a pre-season game for us. But team speed is going to be a major issue.

Canary10
07-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I can't believe how different everyone's perceptions are...I thought Viator was great. He looked shaky at first but really came on as the game wore on. He's got pace. So important in a wingback.

Frings was awesome. Really does show what we've been missing in the midfield. And we finally have a guy for set pieces. We've never had any threat before on them before. No longer will corners be a time to run and grab a beer! Having said that, De Guzman's absence was really apparent. In a 4-3-3 all the midfielders are essentially central midfieders (with the two outside forwards as the flank men). There is lots of space for a guy like De Guzman to play with Frings in that system. I totally disagree with people who want him gone. We're always better with him in the line up. With Dunfield as well, we've got a really solid midfield.

Koeverman's shot was wicked. But, yeah, he got little service and looked tired. But not a bad start.

Two worst players on the pitch: Harden (surprise, surprise). He just looks out of his league. He is so poor on distributing the ball from the back. He constantly puts the team in pressure with his bad decisions. I wish Frei would stop rolling the ball out to him. It's always a disaster waiting to happen. Irlo looked slow, but paired with a good central defender with pace and some passing ability and he'll be ok. We should NEVER lose a header in the box with that guy. And Maicon Santos was the second worst player. That header he missed is unforgivable - that is a goal every time in a higher level league. The only reason why he has goals at all is he gets those gifts on a regular basis and maybe puts in 5% of them. He is awful.

Plata is our Carlos Tevez. That guy can run forever.

Davenport
07-21-2011, 08:58 AM
New players:
Frings - a great signing.
Koev - we'll see when he gets fit, but last night was not convincing.
Johnson - promising.
Viator - terrible signing, not good enough.
Iro - slow, too big, will struggle.
The rest except for Frei....shit.
Plata has really lost a step.
Should NEVER play again...Harden, Borman, Yourass, Gargan.

Canary10
07-21-2011, 09:20 AM
[quote=Davenport;1344999]New players:
quote]

Are you fucking insane?

Davenport
07-21-2011, 09:55 AM
[quote=Davenport;1344999]New players:
quote]

Are you fucking insane?
No. not the last time I checked.
So along with all the other attacking midfielders and forwards he's set the world on fire in the last few games ?
We've scored 5 goals in the last 10, yes 10, MLS games.

Canary10
07-21-2011, 10:06 AM
He hasn't scored, but the last thing I'd say about him is he lost a step. The guy's what, 17?

__wowza
07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Here some observations close to fact:
I feel like we are 3-4 players from a complete starting side. With JDG, Dunfield, Eckersley and ANOTHER DEFENDER OR TWO I think we would have a complete side.

Right now we have Great players and players who Ruin what the great players create. The latter needs to get off the field. This is where I think JDG can really complement the new additions- he would complement Frings, Koevermans and Plata.

it's funny that you tear apart players like yourassowski and strugis, but then give benefit to JDG.. of all fucking people.. and a guy whose never even played a game with our club before.

he didn't compliment plata and they played 7 games together.
he didn't compliment anyone really. he just gave the ball away and didn't drop back fast enough to defend the break. you'd be surprised to see how many goals resulted from that. if he couldn't EXCEL with a team of scrubs, then what makes you think he can do any better now? i mean, the team was shit. he should've looked like a god out there, and now we're putting him next to a man like frigs saying "he's gonna do well, and step up his game".

newsflash: anyone can do that when they're next to frigs. that's the kind of player he is. he tries to better everyone around him with his play. it's something JDG is incapable of doing, either because he can't or because he's lazy.

everyone needs to stop defending him.
he didn't work with plata when we thought he was going to.
he didn't work with mista when we thought he was going to.
he didn't work with vitti when we thought he was going to.

he's a cunt and he needs to pack his bags.

(sorry if this is coming off as harsh, its certainly not me being angry at you. i just simply can't see how people can have faith in JDG. he's let us down so many times, he doesn't play well and often looks lazy on the pitch. i've also heard from numerous people that he's pretty much called it in for the season)

__wowza
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
personally, i think we should be starting soolsma and bringing on plata as a winger. plata tries to take to many people one, it's not good during the first 60 minutes of play because they know how to crack him.

if you had soolsma on, you still get the chances, sans the pace, just work a slower buildup (which he's been more than capable of doing) and then bring on plata to dust defenders when their legs are tired.

Wombat
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Frings looked class all night, and although made his name as a full back in the German national team, has the football brain and passing ability to anchor the midfield. He reminded me of Beckham when LA were in town recently - sat in the centre circle, received the ball from the defence and played some intelligent passes up to the forwards. All we normally see is a lot of "huff & puff" from our midfielders with very little guile & craft. One poster hails Frings as our new dead-ball specialist.... don't make me laugh - a talented footballer, but free kicks on the edge of the box? Did not trouble the keeper in the least.

The other debutant I was excited about seeing with Koevermanns. The guy LOOKS the part... tall, athletic looking, Dutch footballer. He know's where a centre forward should be, but either due to 'ring rust' or not gelling with the team mates yet, he was pretty ineffective. Very weak headers when 2-3 good chances came his way in the air. Still, he has the right pedigree, let's give him time.

All in all, the team looked 10 times better than in recent home games and I actually enjoyed the football last night, even if we didnt get the result we deserved.

Canary10
07-21-2011, 10:25 AM
"One poster hails Frings as our new dead-ball specialist.... don't make me laugh - a talented footballer, but free kicks on the edge of the box? Did not trouble the keeper in the least."

Were you stuck on the streetcar for the start of the game? He almost scored 2 minutes in.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Frings was a boss (and im glad that I wasnt wrong in my description)
DK looked winded
Viator was 50/50, judgements still out imo
Iro was not bad at times, definitely needs some more time out on the field with a regular partner
Johnston was not bad, think itll take some time
Plata gave up a few balls and had poor touches, love the kid but wouldnt hurt for him to come off the bench for a few games
Harden, Borman gotta go. At most never play Borman on defense ever again and play him as a bench winger, his defensive positioning is brutal.
Everyone else was meh.

Wombat
07-21-2011, 10:31 AM
"One poster hails Frings as our new dead-ball specialist.... don't make me laugh - a talented footballer, but free kicks on the edge of the box? Did not trouble the keeper in the least."

Were you stuck on the streetcar for the start of the game? He almost scored 2 minutes in.

Stuck in traffic & missed first 10 mins unfortunately, but was waiting for a Beckham moment as the ball curlked into the top corner sending the crowd into ecstact 2 mins into injury time..... but no, unfortunately we got saw a typical full back effort, with ball going 10 feet over the bar

Dont get me wrong - loved the tackles and passing from Frings, but see him ending up with a Gary Neville or Patrice Evra scoring record for TFC

Canary10
07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
He had a nice free kick early on that gave the keeper serious trouble.

it was brutal getting to the game last night!

drexel10
07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Frings looked class all night, and although made his name as a full back in the German national team, has the football brain and passing ability to anchor the midfield. He reminded me of Beckham when LA were in town recently - sat in the centre circle, received the ball from the defence and played some intelligent passes up to the forwards. All we normally see is a lot of "huff & puff" from our midfielders with very little guile & craft. One poster hails Frings as our new dead-ball specialist.... don't make me laugh - a talented footballer, but free kicks on the edge of the box? Did not trouble the keeper in the least.

The other debutant I was excited about seeing with Koevermanns. The guy LOOKS the part... tall, athletic looking, Dutch footballer. He know's where a centre forward should be, but either due to 'ring rust' or not gelling with the team mates yet, he was pretty ineffective. Very weak headers when 2-3 good chances came his way in the air. Still, he has the right pedigree, let's give him time.

All in all, the team looked 10 times better than in recent home games and I actually enjoyed the football last night, even if we didnt get the result we deserved.

I was thinking the same thing last night with the Beckham comparison. I said Frings is the best distributor of the ball I have seen at BMO next to Beckham. He sees the field at level that surprised me. I was expecting him to be much more simple square ball kind of player, but his vision and touch were world class no doubt.

Gazza
07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Johnson created space well and roamed into space well but his touch and crosses were brutal. Hopefully that is just nerves.

Iro came as advertised. Physical but slow. Teams will be looking to run at him at all opportunities.

Koevermans tried to do too much which is expected as he's trying to impress. But i'm not worried about him. That long shot in the first half brought me out of my seat and made me spill my beer. You owe me 12 bucks Koevermans!

Frings was a man amongst boys out there. Rust and fatigue took over near the end. Can't wait until he's match-fit.

Darlofletch
07-21-2011, 10:40 AM

It was on target, but it wasn't really a hard save to make, and the last minute one obviously didn't work either. his corners were very hit and miss as well.

A minor quibble in a really good game from him, but dead ball specialist? no.

loved his little pass to start the move plata scored from (plata, how the hell did you not stay onside there? elementary stuff). In to space, right where it was needed, and quickly enough that it put them right on the back foot. too many times it takes our guys too long to control the ball and think about what they're doing, that extra second or two saved are the difference between mediocre and really good.

Kovermans, had a maicon santos kind of game, nothing, except one shot out of nowhere that looked really good. will be better when fully fit, why the hell did he get a full 90 mins.

iro. showed potnetial to be the big imposing strog guy at the back, looks horribly uncomfortable with the ball, but more practice with the team will help that.

viator. looked bad in first half, didn't really notice him in the second which I guess is an improvement, hopefully he's better at cb than rb.

johnson, worked hard, got in some good positions to make crosses, but didn't take advantage.

all in all frings great, the others, meh but with signs of potential to be good with more time.

jabbronies
07-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Johnson managed to get to some pretty dreadful passes to him and control the ball. He did look lost out there though. But it's expected when you are trying to pass to two players whom you've never played with before. It's tough because you don't know how they play, where they will run to, how they like to strike the net. etc.

Not downplaying Frings here, but stepping into a DM role is much easier than an attacking role. All he had to do was get the ball, move to the open space and pass the ball, slowing or speeding up the play depending on the situation. He controls the situation. And he did it well.

Gazza
07-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Johnson managed to get to some pretty dreadful passes to him and control the ball. He did look lost out there though. But it's expected when you are trying to pass to two players whom you've never played with before. It's tough because you don't know how they play, where they will run to, how they like to strike the net. etc.

Not downplaying Frings here, but stepping into a DM role is much easier than an attacking role. All he had to do was get the ball, move to the open space and pass the ball, slowing or speeding up the play depending on the situation. He controls the situation. And he did it well.

Ask JDG how easy it is to step into that role on a new team. The goal is to make it look easy. I think you are definitely downplaying the role. Especially when it comes to our team. My only issue with him and the formation, was the gap between him and our back 4, which was exposed quite a bit.

KGH
07-21-2011, 10:49 AM
personally, i think we should be starting soolsma and bringing on plata as a winger. plata tries to take to many people one, it's not good during the first 60 minutes of play because they know how to crack him.

if you had soolsma on, you still get the chances, sans the pace, just work a slower buildup (which he's been more than capable of doing) and then bring on plata to dust defenders when their legs are tired.

Couldn't agree more

Whoop
07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I was going to say if it was easy how come JDG never looked as good?

Gazza
07-21-2011, 10:57 AM
The guy beside me exaggerated that Frings had connected on more passes last night than Carl Robinson did in his TFC career.

Things that make you go "hmmm."

Suds
07-21-2011, 10:58 AM
It's one game so I'm going to hold off my thoughts on each player, however, it seemed we were a stronger side out there last night. In a physical sense.

jabbronies
Ask JDG how easy it is to step into that role on a new team. The goal is to make it look easy. I think you are definitely downplaying the role. Especially when it comes to our team. My only issue with him and the formation, was the gap between him and our back 4, which was exposed quite a bit.

Not sure you guys read the full paragraph so I'll re-post it:

Comparing the two different roles, not saying overall anyone should be able to do it.

Pachuco
Frings - That's what a DP midfielder should look like in the MLS. Give him the captain's armband NOW.
Johson - Really impressed by him last night. Has some skill and speed, I think he'll end up being a great acquisition.
Iro - Fucking brutal. Absolutely brutal. Harden certaintly played better last night. And that's coming from someone who can't stand Harden and always feared Iro when we played him. Why is it every time the "new" player has a bad game we blame it on the rest of the player? Sorry guys, this one was all on Iro.
Viator - Decent defender. A little sloppy, he was just alright in my mind.
Koevermans - Really didn't make himself available enough. Forget the lack of service, he didn't do anything to get involved in the game.

Gazza
07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Not sure you guys read the full paragraph so I'll re-post it:

Read it all. Comprehended. Disagreed. When you play a possession-style game, the most important role on the field is your holding/defensive mid. It's not easy to just slide into that role on a new team.

jabbronies
07-21-2011, 11:04 AM

JDG - Came from the spanish league where the man on man contact wasn't as hard as MLS. So when he came to MLS, He would get bounced around and knocked off the ball like nobody's business.

Frings - comes from a tougher German league where the contact is similar, if not harder than MLS. I'm sure we won't see him get bounced as much as JDG does. But I guess time will tell.

We are comparing Two players breed from different styles of football.

jabbronies
07-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Read it all. Comprehended. Disagreed. When you play a possession-style game, the most important role on the field is your holding/defensive mid. It's not easy to just slide into that role on a new team.

I know the role - that's where I played 70% of my life and am most comfortable playing.

Maybe I don't know the attacking role to speak to this but:

Slotting into a 3 man attacking forward line with 2 other players you have never played with before and having to be creative with them against a 4-5 man defensive line is harder then slotting into a holding mid role where you can get away with just getting the ball, moving to space and passing it forward or back to the open man.

Frings didn't do anything special last night - he played a pretty safe game and kept it basic - he did it well, but IMO, his having to mesh right away with his surroundings wasn't as complicated as the two new forwards.

Gazza
07-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I know the role - that's where I played 70% of my life and am most comfortable playing.

Maybe I don't know the attacking role to speak to this but:

Slotting into a 3 man attacking forward line with 2 other players you have never played with before and having to be creative with them against a 4-5 man defensive line is harder then slotting into a holding mid role where you can get away with just getting the ball, moving to space and passing it forward or back to the open man.

Frings didn't do anything special last night - he played a pretty safe game and kept it basic - he did it well, but IMO, his having to mesh right away with his surroundings wasn't as complicated as the two new forwards.

Agree to disagree. Frings had to be our general in his first game. Koevermans played a central role in a front 3. His job was to hold up the ball well, get into space and finish chances (i'll give him the one sitter he missed haha). A healthy Gordon did a great job for us in that role.

I find Fring's role to be much more integral. Either way, i'm damn glad they're both here.

ag futbol
07-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Frings was a HUGE improvement on the dead ball situations and corners. The shot at the end of the game notwithstanding the quality was pretty damn good.

Personally, I don't mind Plata taking on the man but he has to pick his spots. FCD is not RBNY or WFC, their defenders are fairly solid.

I envision Johnson taking Plata's spot on the left side, Soolsma starting on the right, and eventually (when everyone is healthy) something like this:

Johnson---------------Danny K-------------Soolsma
------------JDG-------------Dunfield-------
---------------------Frings----------------
Yourass--Iro--(someone has to play here)----Eckersley

Whoop
07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
JDG - Came from the spanish league where the man on man contact wasn't as hard as MLS. So when he came to MLS, He would get bounced around and knocked off the ball like nobody's business.

Frings - comes from a tougher German league where the contact is similar, if not harder than MLS. I'm sure we won't see him get bounced as much as JDG does. But I guess time will tell.

We are comparing Two players breed from different styles of football.

I agree.

So perhaps TFC should look at where the players play to see if they fit into MLS' more physical side.

Gazza
07-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I agree.

So perhaps TFC should look at where the players play to see if they fit into MLS' more physical side.

I think both Preki and Winter have tried slotting him into different positions.

I firmly believe only Tony Robbins can help JDG at this point.

jabbronies
07-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Agree to disagree. Frings had to be our general in his first game. Koevermans played a central role in a front 3. His job was to hold up the ball well, get into space and finish chances (i'll give him the one sitter he missed haha). A healthy Gordon did a great job for us in that role.

I find Fring's role to be much more integral. Either way, i'm damn glad they're both here.

I don't know when, or if, we'll be able to see Frings full potential as a general this season.

The revolving door lineup, injuries, and new players coming in and out, lack of games, lack of fitness and knowledge from the other players, we may not be able to really see what he is capable of until September, maybe even October!

I'm sure he has the ability to thread a pass through 3 defenders, but do we have anyone who is quick enough to run into the correct space to get it? Maybe Plata? Martina is quick, but dumb as fuck once he has the ball.

I'm sure he can win a ball and work with 2 other players to move the ball out of a 5 man defending blockade and into space, but do we have those 2 other players who can play off him and make that play work? Maicon maybe? Koevermans when he is fit? DeGuzman when he's healthy?

Toronto_Bhoy
07-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Last week I mentioned that this was a team without a "soul"…I saw one last night.

I thought Frings was outstanding. I spent a good portion of the night just watching him and was hugely impressed. I was warned by a number of German friends about how he had really lost a step, hence very few were interested in picking him up…even on a free.

I have said from Day One a DP is a player who makes EVERYONE on the pitch a better player…Frings may well be that guy.

Sadly, he is currently surrounded by shite…last night he was able to elevate them to crap.

Koeverman's performance was pedestrian. As far as fitness, Frings is streets ahead…not really an excuse but lets give him 3 or 4 matches to get into game shape.

Last night's team was better than last week's…I guess that's being optimistic…

jabbronies
07-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Last week I mentioned that this was a team without a "soul"…I saw one last night.

I thought Frings was outstanding. I spent a good portion of the night just watching him and was hugely impressed. I was warned by a number of German friends about how he had really lost a step, hence very few were interested in picking him up…even on a free.

I have said from Day One a DP is a player who makes EVERYONE on the pitch a better player…Frings may well be that guy.

I agree with the bolded 100%

Funny how much he stood out, considering he pretty much spent most of the game evaluating his surroundings and feeling out what players could do what. Funny, he learned what Borman couldn't do very quickly and ended up shifting play away from him as much as possible :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see him play in 4-5 matches once he gets his bearings and has instructed everyone on what they need to be doing when.

Hopefully the language barrier doesn't play a factor.

TFC1154ever
07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I would like to see Vaitor play beside Iro, I think he will make a better CB then a RB. He can't cross but i thought he was pretty good in the air. And for the people chirping Plata for failing at beating defenders one on one, I counted about 2 times he had them beat and there RB ( don't know his name) made 2 great desperation plays to keep him away. Dallas has very good backline, but i'm starting to get worried about progressing into the champions league. Can't score. Hopefully JDG, Dunfield, Eskerley, and Griffit ( who i think is going to be the steal in the deal to columbus) can help move the ball up the pitch.

lobo
07-21-2011, 11:57 AM
In defense of Koev's fitness, it was crazy hot last night. Plata was the only player not named Brek Shea thriving in the heat, and Shea is 21 years old.

gotta disagree with that one ... plata looked tired and slow most of the 2nd half ... how many times did he run straight at defenders, and literally hit a wall, nothing there, no next gear, done ... he was subbed out at 70 mins, but should have been sooner, far too many mistakes and giveaways from him

nickio
07-21-2011, 11:57 AM
A lot of critique is based on perception and what context the player is being looked at. But perception is the main one, and it's easy to forget the context (1st game and so on).

But, I think the general consensus is:

-there are a few players who need to go away and never come back, at this point (Borman, Yourass)

-JDG is a worthy starter. I dont think he was really Bad to start with. DP? No, he is not; Is he better than the rest of our Midfield (excl. Frings)? Absolutely

-The team has a fighting chance of winning games now.

-Forget the playoffs this year, focus on the Real Esteli and so on...

joel
07-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Agree with some comments on Plata, he can't really take guys on 1v1, at least not dallas defenders, he wasted too chances thinking he could do that. You've got a big Striker over there, hold the ball a minute and then hit him.

nickio
07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Agree with some comments on Plata, he can't really take guys on 1v1, at least not dallas defenders, he wasted too chances thinking he could do that. You've got a big Striker over there, hold the ball a minute and then hit him.

And that's something they can work out over time.

Canary10
07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Crossing was horrendous last night. Most of them were going out.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-21-2011, 12:23 PM
In fairness to Plata, his determination and size flatter to deceive, IMO.

I had this argument last night with my "little" brother. Plata is a lightweight with decent skills, defenders are able to angle him off the ball…he "looks" faster than he really is because of his size. And he's not strong enough to compete physically, granted the boy is only 5' 3".

I know it's fun to have a wee man but he loses virtually every one on one battle…even on the ground.

Having said that, he's a good squad player but I'm not sure he's a starter and definitely not a 90 minute man.

Oldtimer
07-21-2011, 12:29 PM
But, I think the general consensus is:

-there are a few players who need to go away and never come back, at this point (Borman, Yourass)

-JDG is a worthy starter. I dont think he was really Bad to start with. DP? No, he is not; Is he better than the rest of our Midfield (excl. Frings)? Absolutely

-The team has a fighting chance of winning games now.

-Forget the playoffs this year, focus on the Real Esteli and so on...

Pretty well sums it up. Add Harden to the "hate" list.

__wowza
07-21-2011, 12:31 PM
mark my words, the armband is on frings by the end of the season.

Red I
07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
As far as fitness, Frings is streets ahead…

Is this a thing now!?!? LOL

Detroit_TFC
07-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I see a level of motivation from Frings that is often lacking in our merrie band. For example, Frings staying to practice after the NCC cup game. If he provides some leadership to the team, it's hard to overstate the value of that going forward.

trane
07-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I liked everyone, in light that it was the first game, BUT particullalry Frings, he was everything I thought he could be. PLUS passion. He gives a shit.

Max_TO
07-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I hate to say it folks , but we no have the worst team in MLS . Iro was terrible and has no business playing in the MLS based on what I saw last night .

To many new players and , once again based on what I saw last night , it will take them the rest of the season just to get to know one another .

I also have to lay some blame at the feet of Winters and his desire to incorporate " his playing style " , get over it Winter and get the basics covered first .

The next thing I see happening is Frei wanting to leave the sorry bunch that we call a team .

Until we get some defense and a coach that gets back to solid basics we will not win another game , sad but true .

Congrats guys , we now have a university level soccer team .

ManUtd4ever
07-21-2011, 03:22 PM
I hate to say it folks , but we no have the worst team in MLS . Iro was terrible and has no business playing in the MLS based on what I saw last night .

To many new players and , once again based on what I saw last night , it will take them the rest of the season just to get to know one another .

I also have to lay some blame at the feet of Winters and his desire to incorporate " his playing style " , get over it Winter and get the basics covered first .

The next thing I see happening is Frei wanting to leave the sorry bunch that we call a team .

Until we get some defense and a coach that gets back to solid basics we will not win another game , sad but true .

Congrats guys , we now have a university level soccer team .

http://www.derwesten.de/img/3457684-1335723578/0273_543_28129309-543x199.jpg

QSIM
07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Let's rate Brek Shea.

Good. Very good.

QSIM
07-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I liked everyone, in light that it was the first game, BUT particullalry Frings, he was everything I thought he could be. PLUS passion. He gives a shit.

Loved the way he applauded us on that first corner.

Davenport
07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Let's rate Brek Shea.

Good. Very good.
The best young player I've seen in the MLS.
He will play at a high level somewhere.

Davenport
07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I think both Preki and Winter have tried slotting him into different positions.

I firmly believe only Tony Robbins can help JDG at this point.

Gamblers anonymous would be a good start.

JonO
07-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Let's rate Brek Shea.

Good. Very good.
Played much better last night than in the cup final last year. Maybe that was the difference for Dallas...

QSIM
07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Played much better last night than in the cup final last year. Maybe that was the difference for Dallas...

Yes, also starting to mature more as a footballer. Always had the talent, seems to be on a knew level this year. Maybe it was the GA trip to Spain in the off-season.

Its also amazing that he is versatile and can cover in a variety of positions.

bgnewf
07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
I would love to know if either Frings was told by the coaching staff or not to take the free kicks and corners.

if they did it was an impressive statement on his ability. If it was Frings deciding to do it on the field himself that would be even better.

Doucet3
07-21-2011, 06:30 PM
I think the Eck is gone at the end of this year - his loan is up. We may not be able to get him back here next year.

We have him till January 2012

Max_TO
07-21-2011, 07:10 PM
I would love to know if either Frings was told by the coaching staff or not to take the free kicks and corners.

if they did it was an impressive statement on his ability. If it was Frings deciding to do it on the field himself that would be even better.

I was at last nights game and I did notice that Iro called him off the one corner kick .

Must say I just watched the last nights game on TV and TFC did look a lot better then they did live . Anyone else at last nights game re-watch it on TV today ? Your thoughts ?

One thing missed on the TV broadcast was Iro's total lack of knowing what to do with himself , if you were there you will most likely know what I am refuring to .

barticusz
07-21-2011, 07:12 PM
What I love and fear about Frings is his commanding presence on the field. Love it because he can provide guidance and reassurance to the shit in our lineup, but fear it because I wonder how much crap he can take before he feels buried. His passing was fantastic, movement off the ball was too. I can't wait to see him in a few games after some more chemistry is built.

Iro: he reminded me of Kessel in his first game. He wanted to do too much and succumbed to some bad decisions. Harden definitely made him look worse though. That guy is absolute trash.

Johnson: he had a few real nice lobs but he couldn't seem to cross it in. passing grade for now and I look forward to seeing what he can do. You dont' get 8 assists if you can't pass the ball.

Viator: struggled at times but wasnt' the worst on the pitch. Definitely a depth move.

Koevermans: I hope he's not the next Ali Gerba. Just doesn't look match fit, but at least he seems to have the instincts and vision. I can't see him not scoring for us like mista though.