PDA

View Full Version : New Defender?

19Barrett19
07-19-2011, 11:21 PM
French footballer Eddy Viator trained with Toronto on Tuesday. The 29-year old defender has represented Guadeloupe and has been on trial with TFC. There is no indication if the Reds will move forward with Viator. Testing his versatility, Toronto coaches tested him at the centre back and right fullback positions during training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Viator

CSO_BBTB
07-19-2011, 11:35 PM
He'd have to be an injury replacement for Dicoy Williams to be signed because the six discovery signings for 2011 are all used up. With the recent roster additions there can't be much cap space left for that sort of thing hence the less than stellar resume.

MarkoftheDrink
07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Anyone recall him from the Gold Cup? Did he play?

Have we used up replacements from Cann's and Bouchiba's injuries?

CSO_BBTB
07-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Think Eckersley was Bouchiba's replacement because numbers don't work otherwise on international players and discovery signings (loans not a separate category as far as I can see). This would have to be for Williams rather than Cann to free up the international roster spot. Don't think Cann has been replaced.

MarkoftheDrink
07-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Ahh makes sense, ty.

mdc 77
07-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Anyone recall him from the Gold Cup? Did he play?

Have we used up replacements from Cann's and Bouchiba's injuries?

Yes, I remember the name from the match against the U.S., think he had a yellow in either that one or against us. Don't remember if he was any good or not.

ensco
07-20-2011, 06:42 AM
First Soolsma from a pub league, now this guy from....what the heck is "Granada 74"?

So we waited for the transfer window to trial a guy....from a team not playing in a registered league? :confused:

profit89
07-20-2011, 06:47 AM
What about Marco Materazzi... he's a free agent

CSO_BBTB
07-20-2011, 07:06 AM
What about Marco Materazzi... he's a free agent

Only doable if JDG can be persuaded to move on and a club can be found to take on his contract. At that point a DP roster spot and lots caps space opens up. Kristian Jack had a tweet yesterday that stated his agent had said the Maccabi Tel Aviv thing isn't going to happen. In the absence of JDG leaving all that's doable in terms of signing a new centre back from outside the league (as opposed to making a trade) is an injury replacement for Dicoy Williams or Adrian Cann and after signing the two DPs there probably isn't much money available for that. Hence the arrival of Eddy Viator.

TOBOR !
07-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Ahh makes sense, ty.

sweet Av, bro. Brings back memories. Ta.

.J.B.
07-20-2011, 07:42 AM
WOW.. OMD Dazzle Ships!!!.. Can't believe that someone remembers that Album.. USed to scare the kaka outta me

menefreghista
07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
First Soolsma from a pub league, now this guy from....what the heck is "Granada 74"?

So we waited for the transfer window to trial a guy....from a team not playing in a registered league? :confused:

The story is even better. I don't think Granada 74 even plays anymore! They didn't in the 2009/2010 season. From the sounds of it, the club is the Spanish version of MK Dons. Not sure it even exists anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granada_74_CF

Pachuco
07-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Soolsma may be from a pub league. But he certainly doensn't look out of place in the MLS as far as I can tell. He's been getting starts over guys who came from Ajax and Inter on this team and deservedly so. Which really just proves it doesn't matter where the player comes from no?

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Soolsma may be from a pub league. But he certainly doensn't look out of place in the MLS as far as I can tell. He's been getting starts over guys who came from Ajax and Inter on this team and deservedly so. Which really just proves it doesn't matter where the player comes from no?

Agreed.

- Scott

CSO_BBTB
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Soolsma played at a level that would be termed semi-pro in most countries and in games that typically drew crowds of a few hundred people. "Pub league" is a bit misleading in that context.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Eddy Viator has played regularly as of late for his national team. Although Guadaloupe is not a exactly a world football power, his international experience suggests that he should represent an upgrade over the current reserves on TFC's backline.

nimamalek
07-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Soolsma turned out very well, i'd give this time

ensco
07-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't rate Soolsma nearly as highly as others do. Footspeed for wingers matters more to me than others, I guess.

My point still stands. Are we using the transfer window to find non-DPs at all?

menefreghista
07-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm actually curious as to where Viator has been playing the last couple of seasons?

The club he is listed at hasn't played a game in 2 seasons. So what has he been doing? Just playing Guadeloupe national team games?

Putting aside the last 2 seasons, Viator actually has a better professional history than the Dutch amateurs we signed at the start of the year. Most of his earlier career was spent in the French 2nd division. And when Granada 74 did exist I believe it was in Spain's 2nd tier?

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't rate Soolsma nearly as highly as others do. Footspeed for wingers matters more to me than others, I guess.

My point still stands. Are we using the transfer window to find non-DPs at all?

We've been told by Winter AND by the sources of J-Mo, Roogsy and others that the team is definitely not done transacting, so I guess it remains to be seen.

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm actually curious as to where Viator has been playing the last couple of seasons?

The club he is listed at hasn't played a game in 2 seasons. So what has he been doing? Just playing Guadeloupe national team games?

Putting aside the last 2 seasons, Viator actually has a better professional history than the Dutch amateurs we signed at the start of the year. Most of his earlier career was spent in the French 2nd division. And when Granada 74 did exist I believe it was in Spain's 2nd tier?

The second divisions in France and Spain are a decent calibre of football, definitely comparable to MLS.

djking2
07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
The last two seasons on record were with Amiens SC in the second tier in
FRance

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/FootballFicheJoueur18971.html

profit89
07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
The second divisions in France and Spain are a decent calibre of football, definitely comparable to MLS.

Agree.

menefreghista
07-20-2011, 12:27 PM
The last two seasons on record were with Amiens SC in the second tier in
FRance

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/FootballFicheJoueur18971.html

Thanks.

That clears up things a little. But we still don't know where he played in the 10/11 season.

By the way, if he signs and ends up being good, we should start calling him the Violator. :D

TOBOR !
07-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey, um, this article (http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/07/15/2575525/canada-comment-concerns-linger-for-the-montreal-impact-as)says he was recently on trial with the Impact... WTF ? :

The Impact has already released Kevin Hatchi, Idriss Ech Chergui and Richard Pelletier and re-signed Eduardo Sebrango and Marco Terminesi. De Santis also said in Wednesday’s press conference that there are four players on trial – midfielder Ian Westlake and defenders Eddy Viator, Ross Smith and Cameron Knowles – and that the Impact would be active when the international transfer window opens on July 15. However, De Santis specified that he would only bring players in as a help for the squad in its current season and not as long-term MLS solutions.

Couchy81
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Hey, um, this article (http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/07/15/2575525/canada-comment-concerns-linger-for-the-montreal-impact-as)says he was recently on trial with the Impact... WTF ? :

Could have somethin to do with a French connection were unaware of and our guys possibly poached him, who knows

TOBOR !
07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Molinaro says TFC has 'singed' Viator. It must be for realz, cuz Ives has it as well.

Canary10
07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
It's on TFCs site. He's available for tonight.

ArmenJBX
07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/toronto-signs-guadeloupe-defender

ensco
07-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I'd have preferred Ricky Titus.

TOBOR !
07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
someone do up a new starting 11... ffs.

Pigfynn
07-20-2011, 02:17 PM

why?

Azerban
07-20-2011, 02:20 PM
someone do up a new starting 11... ffs.

-----------Koevs-------------
----Johnson---------Plata----
Yourass-----Frings-----Sturgis
Borman---Iro---Viator--Gargan
-----------Frei---------------

TOBOR !
07-20-2011, 02:20 PM

I'd've preferred Ricky Schroder.

TOBOR !
07-20-2011, 02:21 PM
-----------Koevs-------------
----Johnson---------Plata----
Yourass-----Frings-----Sturgis
Borman---Iro---Viator--Gargan
-----------Frei---------------

ooo.. based on that, the curse of JBX may contniue !

Azerban
07-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Could be Viator at RB and Harden in CB instead.

Having trouble deciding which is worse.

PopePouri
07-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes! Harden moves to the bench. After that Eckersley comes back and Gargan moves to the bench.

ArmenJBX
07-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Why don't we just sign like a 100 players in each position and then keep the ones we like, instead of going one by one

Azerban
07-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Why don't we just sign like a 100 players in each position and then keep the ones we like, instead of going one by one

i don't think that's how it works

Ossington Mental Youth
07-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Could be Viator at RB and Harden in CB instead.

Having trouble deciding which is worse.

HAHAHAHAHA
thought the same damn thing

dal524
07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
CONFIRMED

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2017-Toronto-signs-Eddy-Viator

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Well, at the very least, a Guadeloupean international that played most of his career in the second division in France should be an upgrade over Harden and Gargan. Our backline needs all the help it can get at the moment.

Stryker
07-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Don't see how he can be any worse. Shocking how bad Harden has been. Constantly being caught 15 yards downfield while the rest of the line try to deal with his mark ultimately leaving huge holes elsewhere. Can't say Winter didn't give him a fair chance ether, he's had a ton of starts.

Yohan
07-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Don't see how he can be any worse. Shocking how bad Harden has been. Constantly being caught 15 yards downfield while the rest of the line try to deal with his mark ultimately leaving huge holes elsewhere. Can't say Winter didn't give him a fair chance ether, he's had a ton of starts.

Harden is a depth mls player and i dont think he was suppose to get this many starts. Damn injuries

JuliquE
07-20-2011, 03:01 PM
This fact might help with trying to move him on, sooner rather then later (when he's sat out for awhile).. only trouble is that we don't have any other depth, for the moment.

If we go on a little tear and finish well, we could have other teams fooled into thinking he had something to do with our decent rank (with X starts).. so it's not all bad if he hangs around as depth.

Pachuco
07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I'll take my chances on this guy as opposed to having to watch Harden play again.

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I'll take my chances on this brick/signpost/scarecrow/dandelion/ham sandwich/guy as opposed to having to watch Harden play again.

Fixed.

- Scott

JuliquE
07-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Fixed.

- Scott
*slow clap* You're on a roll tonight, huh?!

But I really did LOL, just then.

ensco
07-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I bet Harden starts tonight. Winter loves the guy.

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I bet Harden starts tonight. Winter loves the guy.

I'd say it's 50/50. Winter might not think this guy is ready to be thrown into the starting lineup just yet.

Then again, it's not like he just arrived in town today.

- Scott

jazzy
07-20-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd say it's 50/50. Winter might not think this guy is ready to be thrown into the starting lineup just yet.

- Scott

with all the heat and all, I wouldn't be surprised to see many familiar faces start, easing the newbies in unfortunatey....

MarkoftheDrink
07-20-2011, 04:40 PM
sweet Av, bro. Brings back memories. Ta.

WOW.. OMD Dazzle Ships!!!.. Can't believe that someone remembers that Album.. USed to scare the kaka outta me

Yeah OMD's the shit, time seems to have forgotten them a bit though.

- Scott

Mariner was just on Primetime and said Eddie, Andy, Johnson, Frings and Koef are starting.