PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride their bicycle to game/Joe's?

flatpicker
07-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I was just curious because I was thinking of riding my bike, rather than take TTC.
It would be so easy, and quick, for me to ride to the bar or game.
But I'm always concerned about leaving my bike locked up and out of sight for too long.
Not that it's expensive, but it's the only one I have!

Do you leave it locked at Joe's, or at BMO?

Anyone have a bike messed with or stolen on game days?

Thanks.

Fishnicker
07-19-2011, 09:25 AM
I always park at BMO outside gate 3 with all the other bikes. I lock it up with a kryptonite and cable combo, just like I do everywhere else. I actually feel it's more secure there than on Queen st. late at night. (Might be better now with Igor in the klink!)

Never had it messed with that I can tell. I figure with the security guards so close to them no-one would try anything.

darb
07-19-2011, 09:32 AM
+1 for the Kryptonite/cable combo outside Gate 3. I leave my seat and helmet with Guest services throughout the game.

cuecas_red
07-19-2011, 09:42 AM
some of the players ride their bikes to the game, after the last home game I saw Matt Gold ride away on a bike. Think they lock it up outside gate 1 somewhere

London
07-19-2011, 09:42 AM
are you talking about 2 seperate locks?

or a combination cable lock made by kryptonite?

Menelaos
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Pat asks because he rides his bike in from London every game!

flamehawk
07-19-2011, 09:52 AM
I've locked my bike up at Shoeless (though mostly at BMO) a number of times and never had problems with just my Abus U Lock <get it around the wheel and the frame>.

Cobblers
07-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I usually ride my bike from Danforth and Coxwell - it's actually quicker than the TTC (red rocket my ass!!) and a nice ride along the lakeshore for most of it. I lock it up on the bike rack just west of the south gate with a cable lock through my helmet, frame and wheel. I haven't had any problems to date but I do ride a somewhat rusty 70's one speed clunker of a cruiser bike (that rides like a dream but certainly doesn't look like one)...not exactly a target for theft...

Auzzy
07-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I love biking to the games, best way by far to get in & out. We have locked our bikes at various spots all around the stadium, never had a problem. Also at Joe's, BH, and other spots in Liberty Village.

Good u-lock for the front & frame; basic cable lock for the back wheel, frame, seat, and helmet -- we lock those up as well so we don't have to deal with them & only take the bike lights inside (when we need them). There aren't nearly enough good places to lock up bikes around the stadium -- and I wish TFC or the Ex would improve that. Sometimes you can only get the cable lock around a fence, railing, tree, or whatever. But with the amount of foot traffic & cops around the games, I don't think it's the first place thieves will look. Plus if you have two decent locks, there's always an easier bike to steal. If you have an expensive/new bike, you may just want to look harder to find a good solid object that you can lock your u-lock to.

Ivan
07-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I work at King and Bathurst and have seen a few players riding their bikes. Saw De Guzman last summer and last week saw Soolsma, riding a small wheel folding bike, no helmet, very fast. I was amazed someone could go that fast on one of those. I guess it's a Dutch thing.

Auzzy
07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I work at King and Bathurst and have seen a few players riding their bikes. Saw De Guzman last summer and last week saw Soolsma, riding a small wheel folding bike, no helmet, very fast. I was amazed someone could go that fast on one of those. I guess it's a Dutch thing.

Could we petition the league to allow Soolsma to use that bike in the games? ;)

acorn34
07-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I've been locking my bike outside Gate 3 since first season - it's a great way to get to the game. I agree re u-lock and cable. If it hasn't already been mentioned, helmets NOT ALLOWED into seat (or weren't at least), so if you wear a helmet lock it to your bike.

RedRum
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
1 cable lock and 1 u-lock as others have said is a good idea. Used to have a moped for downtown daily commutes and after attaching both locks I would wrap them with the cable from a motion detector gun rack alarm ($20 Crappy Tire). With the unsuspecting 10 second delay after movement, it was great fun to stand nearby and watch the crackheads shit themselves when it went off.

Fishnicker
07-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Kryptonite U-lock + separate cable. Cable doesn't have a lock, you put the loops through the u-lock. Available at most bike stores.

flatpicker
07-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I only ever use my Kryptonite U-lock with my bike,
But I usually try to avoid leaving it unattended around town much.
Mostly I lock it up on the bike rack outside the building where my studio is,
And then on the bike rack in the basement of my condo.

But for BMO, I might go pick up a cable as well, and pair it up with my U-lock.

London
07-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Kryptonite U-lock + separate cable. Cable doesn't have a lock, you put the loops through the u-lock. Available at most bike stores.

thank you.

i have been looking into a bike lock, that sounds like a good idea

Auzzy
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
thank you.

i have been looking into a bike lock, that sounds like a good idea

Except if they've broken the u-lock, they also have the cable open. I like having to separate locks instead. It means they have to crack two locks. If they're two different kinds of locks, they will likely need two different tools. Plus with two different locks to hack, there's likely a bike nearby that is easier to steal.

acorn34
07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Except if they've broken the u-lock, they also have the cable open. I like having to separate locks instead. It means they have to crack two locks. If they're two different kinds of locks, they will likely need two different tools. Plus with two different locks to hack, there's likely a bike nearby that is easier to steal.
Yes, u-lock and cable separate for exact reason stated above.

thomsacz
07-19-2011, 01:17 PM
A kryptonite cable is important, especially if your wheels are quick release.

London
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
that is what is was thinking the kryptonite u lock and the kryptonite cable with the lock built into it.

seems pretty safe against the regular crook

DavydMT
07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
i have been using the chain lock i got in Charleston for few months now and will be taking my bike to the next Saturday game, might need to get a 2nd lock

Gobi
07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
I had a bike stolen while U-locked to the bike stand in front of the Starbucks in Liberty Village.
Not on game day, though, and it was before they arrested that Kenk f*cker.
Just FYI.

flatpicker
07-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Are we allowed to bring bike helmets into BMO?

flamehawk
07-19-2011, 09:43 PM

The one time I brought it along (it was a long time again, I think the second season), security told me to check it in with fan services... I nodded my head and went straight to the stands.

Auzzy
07-19-2011, 09:46 PM

They are on the list of prohibited items: http://www.torontofc.ca/prohibited-items

I've never tried bringing one in -- but I have seen others bring them in w/o a problem.

I usually lock up by helmet with my cable lock. Otherwise, as mentioned above, you can leave bike helmets with Guest Services.

^ Oh, he was quicker :D

flatpicker
07-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys.

Seems funny to prohibit a bike helmet.
Especially considering I've seen people that wear decorated TFC-themed helmets to games.

the-lower-eastsider
07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
kathy locks her mary poppins bike to a tree outside of gate 3. lol. i think it has a basket on the front. lol.