PDA

View Full Version : GoTFC Supporters Cup - Sounding the Death Knell

James Oliphant
07-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Here's the short of it...

After much reflection on tournaments in years past, I've decided I just can't be bothered to put together a Supporters Cup this year. The tournament is so far removed now from what it was intended to be - a fun, semi-competitive way for all the TFC groups to get together and play some footy - that I just have no desire to go through the tedious process of putting the whole thing on.

I love the spirit with which most of you played, but the minority has ruined it for me several years in a row now and I don't feel like putting myself through that again.

Hopefully we can figure out a way to make this work in the future, but this year I can't be arsed to sort that out. I'm too busy otherwise to concern myself with things that make me miserable in the end.

I sincerely apologize to those of you who played it right, and I really do hate that it's ending this way.

For the long version, hit up my forums.
http://gotorontofc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4572

No, I'm not just trying to get hits. I don't sell ads so there'd be no point in that. ;)

Oh, and if someone could pass this on to TRN, that'd be great...I'd post on their message board, but...well...

Empirical
07-19-2011, 04:24 AM
:(
:scarf:

Oldtimer
07-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Too bad... but not surprising really given what has been happening the last few years.

You'd think it was a major tournament, or something. :(

McBrace
07-19-2011, 07:14 AM
This is really Sad news. I always enjoyed playing in this event every year.

Thank you for organizing it James.

I would like to send a big fuck you to those that ruined the fun.

Juanito
07-19-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm sad, it was a fun tournament.

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
For those of us not versed in the issues - what exactly ruined it?

- Scott

McBrace
07-19-2011, 08:21 AM
^Juan. LOL....

Juanito
07-19-2011, 08:22 AM
^Juan. LOL....

?!?!

I am sad. I participated in one and we were a 100% member team, you remember, two years ago, and we made it the semi-finals. Last year I helped coach one of the teams, and although we didn't make it out of the group stage, it was a fun tournament.

But I agree with James. The tournament became too competitive. Instead of having a fun, competitive tournament, it became a winner-takes-all-kick-your-teeth-in shitfest.

Unfortunately, I can't say we had no fault in this, because we did, but we definitely weren't the worst by any means.

McBrace
07-19-2011, 08:23 AM
I kid...I Kid..

Oldtimer
07-19-2011, 08:24 AM
For those of us not versed in the issues - what exactly ruined it?

- Scott

The linked blog explains it.

McBrace
07-19-2011, 08:25 AM
All the more reason for everyone to make the effort to participate in this..Sign up people..

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28490

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Who brings "ringers" in for a supporters tournament? That's ridiculous.

- Scott

Juanito
07-19-2011, 08:29 AM
All the more reason for everyone to make the effort to participate in this..Sign up people..

I implore my fellow RPBers to particpate in this. My team has never won it, and every year I have to ask friends that aren't RPBs to help round out the squad because my fellow RPBs can't be arsed to participate.

Start a team, recruit members. We need you. Tournaments are great social events.

Chevy
07-19-2011, 08:30 AM
^^ It's a shame. I'm sure all that were involved appreciated the effort over the years.

Question - instead of killing it, why not play 'friendlies'? No keeping score, and no trophy awarded. That should keep the ringers out.

Ageroo
07-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Who brings "ringers" in for a supporters tournament? That's ridiculous.

- Scott

Who brings steel drums to a soccer match either....just sayin' ;)

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I think I've guessed who the responsible parties are, haha.

- Scott

Juanito
07-19-2011, 08:48 AM
You know, this is really bothering me. I have to say that I was questioning the camaraderie of the group when at the end, we ended up winning the tournament, we tried to stay away from the fighting, and all the politics (I say we tried because they kept following us), and there was NO ONE from RPB to cheer us on. To this day, I am quite miffed about this.

Maybe it's for the best. I saw two U-SECTOR teams involved in scuffles, one against us in the semi-finals, and one against TRN in the other semi-finals. Both were basically tempers flaring and everyone taking this tournament WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

We (RPB squads) had two incidents with TRN. Both had to do with players getting seriously injured by their recklessness. It's unfortunate, I tried having a post-mortem with Rudi and some of the others members, but even though everyone thought it was a good idea, it ended up going by the wayside. Maybe had we had this, we could have laid the groundwork to making this tournament fun again.

Either way, I hope this means our RPB tournaments are better participated, as I have noticed as an organizer (not this time though), and as a participant, that we as a group, don't seem to care for these social events, and it's frustrating.

In the end, WE ALL share the blame for this tournament failing. We too took this way too seriously. We definitely were not above anyone else.

McBrace
07-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Who brings steel drums to a soccer match either....just sayin' ;)

I don't think they were the only ones gulity if bringing in ringers.

McBrace
07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
You know, this is really bothering me. I have to say that I was questioning the camaraderie of the group when at the end, we ended up winning the tournament, we tried to stay away from the fighting, and all the politics (I say we tried because they kept following us), and there was NO ONE from RPB to cheer us on. To this day, I am quite miffed about this.

Maybe it's for the best. I saw two U-SECTOR teams involved in scuffles, one against us in the semi-finals, and one against TRN in the other semi-finals. Both were basically tempers flaring and everyone taking this tournament WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

We (RPB squads) had two incidents with TRN. Both had to do with players getting seriously injured by their recklessness. It's unfortunate, I tried having a post-mortem with Rudi and some of the others members, but even though everyone thought it was a good idea, it ended up going by the wayside. Maybe had we had this, we could have laid the groundwork to making this tournament fun again.

Either way, I hope this means our RPB tournaments are better participated, as I have noticed as an organizer (not this time though), and as a participant, that we as a group, don't seem to care for these social events, and it's frustrating.

Umm I believe the KWC was at the final match to cheer you on, no?

Juanito
07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
I don't think they were the only ones gulity if bringing in ringers.

Nope.

Juanito
07-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Umm I believe the KWC was at the final match to cheer you on, no?

No. I was there. The KWs that were left, took off after the scuffle between U-SECTOR and TRN. At least, I didn't see anyone. Maybe they were hiding somewhere.

McBrace
07-19-2011, 08:53 AM
We actually came back after the scuffle and watched the entire final.

Juanito
07-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Since we are on the subject, I am still livid that certain players from one of the teams I organized decided to just take off halfway through the tournament, and I ended up having to pay out-of-pocket!

BAD MEMORIES COMING BACK! MUST STOP NOW! NEED ALCOHOL STAT!!!

Juanito
07-19-2011, 08:55 AM
We actually came back after the scuffle and watched the entire final.

Well, thank you. I'd be surprised if we had 10 people watching the final.

Pigfynn
07-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Although there has been incidents in the past at a few different tournaments, it's more important to remember how great they can be.

Every time we get together as a group in large numbers it's good for the group as a whole. It lets us shake off some of the layers of bullshit we wrap ourselves up in on this message board and allows people to just have a laugh together.

Come down to KW on August 20th and see! It will be a good time.

UltraFootyKWC
07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Having participated in the last three supporters' cups, I am very disappointed to hear that we won't be having one again this year as I always had a fun day, win or lose. Although at the same time, it doesn't surprise me. It was getting pretty ridiculous. Especially after last years events.

So now, let's focus on our summer RPB tournament and make it a great one. Have some fun playing footy while raising some money for a great cause. So get on a team and start fundraising. All skill sets are welcome, this is a fun tournament, and will be a great day.

Juanito
07-19-2011, 10:34 AM
^^

Let's support our home-grown tournament folks! August 20th!!

Gobi
07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I had a great time playing in the tourny at BMO in Oct. 2007, but as the day progressed I too was made aware of the many "ringers" being employed by teams other than my own.
Pissed me off so much I never participated again.
I understand your position, James. You don't need that shit. Good on you.

yellowfellow
07-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Sad. I couldn't play in prior years but did play last year and I had a blast. But, I understand...

James Oliphant
07-20-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks for all the understanding, guys 'n girls. It means a lot.

Juanito
07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the understanding, guys 'n girls. It means a lot.

Thank you for all the hard work you've put in over the years.

prizby
07-20-2011, 03:55 PM

don't have a team

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2011, 03:58 PM
don't have a team

Just slap together a team of ringers, and call yourselves the Cabbage Patch Kids. That's what I do every year.

- Scott

Blowing Bubbles
07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
if ringers are a problem people should sign up individually and then you just randomize the rosters ..... meet new people this way too

Cashcleaner
07-20-2011, 08:13 PM
^ That sounds like a pretty good idea, actually. It would certainly help ease any tension between groups and make bringing in ringers pointless.