PDA

View Full Version : Which DM is on the way out?

Stryker
07-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Waaaay too many defensive mids on the team. Who will be used as trade bait?

bangersandmash
07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Anyone not named FRINGS should have a suitcase packed and ready to go.

moralis
07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Julian De Guzman will be gone, DP CB coming in "The Matrix", Hatchi coming in, Nathan Sturgis traded for a domestic left back (wish it could have been Jordan Harvey) and Yourassousky released, extra international roster spot. I hope this happens. Then our roster will be complete.

leafsman
07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
voted sturgis as thats most likely but hoping JDG

Azerban
07-14-2011, 04:23 PM
not a checkbox poll, bad thread

Doucet3
07-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Tchani - NO way hes been our only consistent MID lol, Dunfield - ....., De Guz - seems most likely; even with a formation in his favor hes been avg at best, Sturgis - seems odd man out?, Frings - ..... lol

menefreghista
07-14-2011, 04:43 PM
De Guzman leaving is wishful thinking, unless MLSE opens up their pocket book and pays him off.

I picked Tchani, mostly because I think he's the most tradeable of the bunch.

jloome
07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Sturgis. Has trade value, has been awful here. JDG is under contract that no one else would pick up, so he's going nowhere. Tchani's development upside is considerable (though his general lack of competitive toughness is worrisome on that front) and no one would want Dunfield for anything substantial .

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree that Sturgis is the likely candidate, because his salary makes him a more appealing trade commodity than JDG, and he wasn't identified by the new regime, he was Cochrane's acquisition.

levyashin
07-14-2011, 06:13 PM
my vote was for degusman,just because hes crap.unfortunately nobody will touch him.when his contract is up or bought out,he will toddle off to play 3rd division spain.

Technorgasm
07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
that kid casper has AIDS.. .

and JDG is as good as gone. . .

kcisoul
07-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I think Sturgis will go but would rather see JDG cause he is not worth the money and would rather see a DP CB or maybe an attacking mid(but i have been told that Frings will probably play there).

Nicholas982
07-14-2011, 07:27 PM
voted sturgis as thats most likely but hoping JDG

Get out of my head.

Pachuco
07-14-2011, 07:28 PM
No one. We are going with the following formation:

-----Koev

------DM ($$$)
---DM---DM
DM-------- DM
--DM---DM
-----DM
-----DM ($$$)

-----Frei

Guys, there's no way to penetrate that. Book it!

prizby
07-14-2011, 08:17 PM
add yourassowsky up there...bet you he's first one gone

Dreadlocks
07-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Voted Sturgis. Either him or Tchani are ghost

PopePouri
07-14-2011, 09:19 PM
No one. We are going with the following formation:

-----Koev

------DM ($$$)
---DM---DM
DM-------- DM
--DM---DM
-----DM
-----DM ($$$)

-----Frei

Guys, there's no way to penetrate that. Book it!

Long ball.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Sturgis as trade, JDG as a pay off (or he finds a club:rolleyes:)

nickio
07-14-2011, 09:59 PM
meh, JDG is still quality, I think. If he stays, I like to think that he will be much better with better players around him. He's had good games this season, with only a couple of mediocre. At least we know that JDG has the caliber to be a top player.

Sturgis, on the other hand, will never be a good fit in this system. His pedigree was playing soccer with his dog. (his TFC TV interview :)

Damien
07-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Unless we get something half decent for Sturgis I'm gonna be pissed since we gave up our first-round pick for the guy.

Stryker
07-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Sturgis as trade, JDG as a pay off (or he finds a club:rolleyes:)
This is my thinking also.
Even if JDG were to play every game as good as his best game here, I still don't think he'd be worth his DP spot.

CSO_BBTB
07-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Good thread. The arrival of Dunfield strongly suggests another move is coming. Hope it's JDG as that would mean he isn't on a guaranteed deal for 2012 (something I have never seen definitively clarified) but expect it to be Sturgis.

Heathen
07-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Tchani - NO way hes been our only consistent MID lol, Dunfield - ....., De Guz - seems most likely; even with a formation in his favor hes been avg at best, Sturgis - seems odd man out?, Frings - ..... lol

Tchani has been shit apart from maybe his first couple of games, against RBNY I'll forgive him, he's a young lad going back to play against the club that traded him. Against Houston he was almost as bad again. He has potential and I would keep him based on that but based on performances I'd say he's been pretty awful. All I can say is be wary, remember this man...

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/ld/toronto_fc_130410/amadou_sanyang_5459293.jpg

Roogsy
07-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Other than Ljundberg, has any other DP ever been traded in this league?

JDG is gone at the end of the year. For trade purposes, Sturgis is next on the block.

razor787
07-15-2011, 02:21 AM
In the TFC TV episode when they announced Torsten and Koevermans (Part 4 to be specific) Winter says that he wants 'a leader at each line' and he is looking to bring in leader on defense. To me, that says that he is looking to bring in a DP defender. The only way for that to happen, is for DeGuzman to be on his way out. Whether we trade him to a team somewhere in the MLS, or he gets sold to a team abroad (doesn't have to be a big money trade) I think he will be gone before this season is done. With all the DM options we have, I think it's pretty likely that we will be getting rid of both DeGuzman and Sturgis.

Oldtimer
07-15-2011, 07:01 AM
In the TFC TV episode when they announced Torsten and Koevermans (Part 4 to be specific) Winter says that he wants 'a leader at each line' and he is looking to bring in leader on defense. To me, that says that he is looking to bring in a DP defender. The only way for that to happen, is for DeGuzman to be on his way out. Whether we trade him to a team somewhere in the MLS, or he gets sold to a team abroad (doesn't have to be a big money trade) I think he will be gone before this season is done. With all the DM options we have, I think it's pretty likely that we will be getting rid of both DeGuzman and Sturgis.

It's possible that if Winter holds enough allocation $$$, he could pay down a DP defender's wages so that it ends up under the cap for this year, then make him a DP for next year once JDG is off the books.

Sturgis is the obvious trade-bait for this season.

Winter trading Frings? There are a couple of people here who are so much Winter-haters that they'll believe anything. :rolleyes:

Technorgasm
07-15-2011, 07:33 AM
lol = "toronto has had more then one "DP". "

hahahah.

Carts
07-15-2011, 08:44 AM

For a Manager to be rebuilding a club, and trying to build a new culture and attitude - I really like this strategy of a leader at each position...

I see it more than just on the pitch...

These leaders can be mentors for the academy lads. Young players, or even vet MLS guys can learn from them in training and in games...

A leader up front, in the mid, and on the backline would do more than just help us on the pitch - I think it would be the first major step in changing the entire roster and culture around...

Coaches can only do so much. Even on a pro-club, at the end of the day, there is a separation between the coaches & players... A leader and mentor at each position will do great things for us in the future - and also have an immediate impact...

Carts...

Wooster_TFC
07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
The problem you have is that we are tight up against the roster limits, depending on the season ending injury situations. Personally, I think that Winter is looking for 2 guys able to start at any position for competition purposes, and right now with the current team makeup, he has that everywhere except CB. It also wouldn't surprise me if the only guy that's listed here that's considered a straight DM is Sturgis. We've seen Tchani and JDG both play higher up, Dunfield the same in Vancouver, and I highly doubt they'll "waste" Frings attributes as only a ball winning destroyer at the back. They'll go with 3 CMs basically, point back so that you have someone playing more defensively, but I'd expect them to be interchangeable on the field.

If you look at people playing naturally, here's the breakdown we have right now (throwing out the kids that haven't gotten much, or any, play time).

Johnson-------------Koevermans---------------Griffit
(Plata)---------------(Santos)--------------(Soolsma)
--------------------------------------------(Martina)
-----------Dunfield-----------DeGuzman-------------
----------(Zavarise)----------(???)------------------
---------------------Frings--------------------------
--------------------(Sturgis)------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Yourassowsky---Cann--------Iro------------Eckersley
(Borman)-----(Harden)------(Williams)-------(Gargan)
---------------------Frei---------------------------
-------------------(Kocic)--------------------------

As for the mids, really I think they want their mids to be able to play any 3 of the positions in the triangle, and I think that Sturgis is the only one without the current tools or future potential to be able to do that, so he's the most likely to be on his way out. That said, I think TFC would still need to pick up another CM to fill in the gap that Sturgis plays (whether starting or bench), because really, Yourassowsky is a LB. That is of course unless everyone's healthy and they think that Tchani and Zavarise are the only required backups for the CM position. TFC can't count on the youngsters like Stinson or Cordon doing anything big this year.

So, with Williams and Cann out for the season (or so we've heard), we need 3 CBs to fill that for this year, unless you think Henry can push for a starting position. Personally I can see two signings coming in as injury replacements (assuming we haven't used them already), a Hatchi like signing (a decent CB who can play both FB positions), and a solid CB (maybe only until the end of the season as a filler).

Honestly, I don't see us getting a starting CB out of anything we have left, unless it's the first round picks with something. I'm a little surprised that one of the "youngers" haven't been cut yet to make space on the roster, but I guess they haven't had to yet.

ArmenJBX
07-15-2011, 11:07 AM
It's Tchani, for Iro!

ryan
07-15-2011, 11:56 AM
10 people win a cookie.

ag futbol
07-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Johnson-------------Koevermans------------Soolsma
(Plata)---------------(Santos)--------------(Martina)
-----------Dunfield-----------DeGuzman-------------
----------(Zavarise)----------(Griffit)---------------
---------------------Frings--------------------------
--------------------(Sturgis)------------------------
Yourassowsky---Cann------Williams--------Eckersley
(Borman)-----(Harden)------(Iro)-----------(Gargan)
---------------------Frei---------------------------
-------------------(Kocic)--------------------------

Interesting post (updated it with today's trades).

For once in five years the roster looks to have some balance.

Stryker
07-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I love that people are voting Tchani after the trade was announced. Brilliant!!

razor787
07-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Frings to NY for Rafael Marquez anyone? :P

TorontoBlades
07-15-2011, 02:37 PM
voted!

FluSH
07-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Well i was totally off...