PDA

View Full Version : World Football Challenge

kodiakTFC
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
UPDATE:
Only two games wont be on TV in Canada.

The World Football Challenge or Summer of Friendlies begins tomorrow. All of the games are televised in the States on either ESPN1/2/3/desportes so finding streams shouldn't be tough. Surprisingly in Canada we will have three of these games televised.

The games in Bold are on TSN,the game underlined and bold is on TSN2 and the games in italics are on Gol TV.

New England Revolution Manchester United July 13 Gillette Stadium TSN
Los Angeles Galaxy Real Madrid July 16 Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum TSN2
Club America Manchester City July 16 AT&T Park GOL TV
Manchester City Vancouver Whitecaps FC July 18 Empire Field TSN
CD Guadalajara Real Madrid July 20 Qualcomm Stadium GOL TV
Manchester United Chicago Fire July 23 Soldier Field GOL TV
Philadelphia Union Real Madrid July 23 Lincoln Financial Field NONE
Juventus Sporting Clube de Portugal July 23 BMO Field NONE
Los Angeles Galaxy Manchester City July 24 The Home Depot Center TSN 2
Juventus Club America July 26 Citi Field GOL TV
Juventus CD Guadalajara July 28 Carter Finley Stadium GOL TV
FC Barcelona Manchester United July 30 FedEx Field GOL TV
FC Barcelona CD Guadalajara August 3 Sun Life Stadium GOL TV
FC Barcelona Club America August 6 Cowboys Stadium GOL TV

Discuss the games. Anyone going to the game in Toronto? I hear its been sold out, how is that possible at those ridiculous fees?

Alonso
07-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Doubt that its sold out at those prices.

I am very glad that they listened and spared TFC from being involved in this.

This 11 day break is sorely needed.

kodiakTFC
07-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Doubt that its sold out at those prices.

I am very glad that they listened and spared TFC from being involved in this.

This 11 day break is sorely needed.

Followed by 5 games in 13 days.

TFC_Junky
07-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Juventus Sporting Clube de Portugal July 23 BMO Field

Discuss the games. Anyone going to the game in Toronto? I hear its been sold out, how is that possible at those ridiculous fees?

I don't know if it's sold out but I have tickets to it. I like to catch these non-TFC friendlies when they're in Toronto just to see some quality football. It was a little pricey thought, 1 ticket in 107 was $165...

menefreghista
07-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Its not sold out.

Some Portuguese media outlet jumped the gun on that.

Check out ticketmaster, plenty of seats available.

kodiakTFC
07-13-2011, 03:48 PM
updated with new TV schedule

prizby
07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
funny how the game in Canada isn't on tv

kodiakTFC
07-13-2011, 05:14 PM
funny how the game in Canada isn't on tv

I'd imagine its on purpose. The whitecaps game is on tsn and is Canada as well.

anto7
07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I know we complain about meaningless mid-season friendlies, but watching United v New England right now in HD sure looks good. After the depressing season we have had so far it would be a welcome break to see some proper soccer for a change.

Alonso
07-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I know we complain about meaningless mid-season friendlies, but watching United v New England right now in HD sure looks good. After the depressing season we have had so far it would be a welcome break to see some proper soccer for a change.

Yeah but watching TFC get slaughtered 12-0 against Man U is not my idea of a good time.

Plus the schedule is way too busy. Give me Barca vs Man U at BMO at less then $80 per ticket and I'm in.

Alonso
07-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Also, watching the majority of fans at Gillette cheering against their home team is disgusting.

We experienced that at BMO with the Real Madrid visit. Real Madrid support out weighed the TFC support (well at least in 107) and I was fighting and yelling at people around me to fucking give their heads a shake.

I don't ever want to experience that embarrasment ever again. Why bring in a team to embarrass the home team? It makes no sense. Make TFC good, top of the league, then maybe play them against Aston Villa or something so we aren't a complete disgrace. It's disrespectful, disgraceful, abhorent, and fucking dumb.

51,000 attendance at Gillette right now.... at MLS games... 13,000 or so. SAD.

Boston should be ashamed of itself.

anto7
07-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah but watching TFC get slaughtered 12-0 against Man U is not my idea of a good time.

Plus the schedule is way too busy. Give me Barca vs Man U at BMO at less then $80 per ticket and I'm in.
Good points

anto7
07-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Also, watching the majority of fans at Gillette cheering against their home team is disgusting.

We experienced that at BMO with the Real Madrid visit. Real Madrid support out weighed the TFC support (well at least in 107) and I was fighting and yelling at people around me to fucking give their heads a shake.

I don't ever want to experience that embarrasment ever again. Why bring in a team to embarrass the home team? It makes no sense. Make TFC good, top of the league, then maybe play them against Aston Villa or something so we aren't a complete disgrace. It's disrespectful, disgraceful, abhorent, and fucking dumb.

Don't disagree with you but at the same time I do not regret paying to see the Real Madrid game one little bit. Getting to see the likes of Kaka and Ronaldo that close was pretty cool even though I can't stand the Portuguese prick.

kodiakTFC
07-13-2011, 09:27 PM

I disagree, this is a case where ownership is to blame. Kraft treats the Revs as an after thought. If the Revs were anywhere near Boston in a proper SSS I firmly believe their attendance would be 20k+. A rebrand and a new image wouldn't hurt either, some fan on BigSoccer came up with a brilliant fantasy rebrand.

Home
http://www.monstersloch.com/andre/revs/revs01-2.jpg

Away
http://www.monstersloch.com/andre/revs/revs02-2.jpg

Alonso
07-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Don't disagree with you but at the same time I do not regret paying to see the Real Madrid game one little bit. Getting to see the likes of Kaka and Ronaldo that close was pretty cool even though I can't stand the Portuguese prick.

Yeah I agree, just not against TFC.

Love having the big clubs here, just not slaughtering my home team.

No thanks.

whyalwaysme11
07-13-2011, 10:05 PM

i don't know how i feel about this i mean does hometown = fav team you think it would but not all people would agree to that
but i can almost guarantee no one in those stands knew who fabio was
or they prob didnt even know that macheda was loaned to samp last year for half the season
thats why its a shame (for the so called man u fans)
not cause mls doesn't draw the same crowds what do you expect its a better product
not everyone is like us where soccer is part of our lifestyle they buy tickets based on the entertainment value

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Vancouver just took a surprising 1-0 lead against Manchester City in the first half. The match is live on TSN.

Gazza
07-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Does this mean TFC are better than Man Citeh? I mean, i always thought that, but now we have the evidence.

Inklink
07-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Woah that freekick almost made it in.

tuned in 5 mins ago, but VAN looks good.

Whoop
07-18-2011, 09:55 PM
That pitch looks terrible.

Jeffro
07-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Vancouver is playing well, that pitch is pathetic.

Jeffro
07-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Hopefully Toure didn't ruin his knee there... Don't like Citeh, big Yaya fan though.

MG42
07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
That pitch looks terrible.

it looks brutal, so uneven and bumpy

Jenkins12
07-18-2011, 11:01 PM
i dont think the Chicago vs United game is on GOL TV saturday, I just checked and the only game on is Toronto FC

TFCREDNWHITE
07-19-2011, 07:08 AM
What was the final score??

kodiakTFC
07-19-2011, 07:40 AM
What was the final score??

2-1 city. swp scored a beauty.

ManUtd4ever
07-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Kudos to the Whitecaps for a well played match last night against a vastly superior opponent. I watched the whole game, and other than their final touch, Vancouver actually looked like they belonged on the same pitch as Manchester City.

mdc 77
07-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't think anyone belonged on that pitch last night...what a disaster.

Gazza
07-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Any word on YaYa? What horrendous conditions to put top-flight players through. And kudos to Whitecaps fans for keeping it classy by booing the guy off the pitch as he struggles to get off.

Detroit_TFC
07-19-2011, 09:59 AM
The pitch looked like mush and was disgraceful, and ridiculous to risk injuries for a modest amount of revenue. Hopefully Yaya will be healed up soon.

But I remember a Burnley-City game April 3, 2010 on a flooded pitch. It was like playing football in a bathtub on some areas of the pitch. City was up 6-0 and all the City fans were sweating bullets that the game was going be abandoned for conditions. The game continued and ended 6-1. So bad pitch conditions are relative.

Couchy81
07-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Any word on YaYa? What horrendous conditions to put top-flight players through. And kudos to Whitecaps fans for keeping it classy by booing the guy off the pitch as he struggles to get off.

"While both teams substituted liberally in the second half, Man City lost Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure to an ankle injury that Mancini said was not serious." -TSN article

I don't even know why artifical turf is even allowed in this league. It's not like american football where you just have to run on it. It actually effects the way the game is played due to movement of the ball on the inferior surface.

mdc 77
07-19-2011, 10:03 AM
"While both teams substituted liberally in the second half, Man City lost Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure to an ankle injury that Mancini said was not serious." -TSN article

I don't even know why artifical turf is even allowed in this league. It's not like american football where you just have to run on it. It actually effects the way the game is played due to movement of the ball on the inferior surface.

They used a temp. grass surface.

Actually if they just kept the artifical stuff then it would have been better off than that mess of patch work grass that was out there.

flatpicker
07-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I only saw the last 15 minutes of the game,
But I was impressed with how Vancouver played against a superior team.

I've seen this before... how "weak" players find a way to play better than usual when up against stronger opponents.

It's as if many "less talented" players simply lack ambition or confidence,
But when the pressure is off (in a friendly and against a team they shouldn't beat) their worries are removed and their best efforts are seen.

Or it's just a fluke/coincidence.

Gazza
07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
I only saw the last 15 minutes of the game,
But I was impressed with how Vancouver played against a superior team.

I've seen this before... how "weak" players find a way to play better than usual when up against stronger opponents.

It's as if many "less talented" players simply lack ambition or confidence,
But when the pressure is off (in a friendly and against a team they shouldn't beat) their worries are removed and their best efforts are seen.

Or it's just a fluke/coincidence.

Crappy pitch aside, i think it's also a case of Vancouver being in mid-season form and Citeh using the game to get their fitness level up and to shake off some rust.