PDA

View Full Version : Molinaro still insisting Kevin Hatchi is coming to TFC despite Mariners denial...

Alonso
07-11-2011, 11:24 PM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1971-It-s-Called-fooball

Interview on CSN starts with Molinaro insisting that this will happen, from a 'very good source'.

Interview starts at the 18th minute

mastermixer
07-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Who is the Hatchi guy and why should I care? Seems like a big deal over nothing.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
its a big deal cuz Mariner said hes not coming.
basically itd mean the FO is lying (and as every paranoid TFC fan would state WHY SHOULD WE TRUST THE FO, THEY ARE MLSES PUPPETS, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER COACH, FIRE MLSE FIRE THE FO).

To a certain extent they would be right, it would breach what trust (in some cases what little trust) we have for the new FO

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Id be a bit conflicted myself as we definitely need a CB right now

brad
07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
What!? A reporter mentioned something in a story and the FO denied it? That never happens in football. As soon as a rumor is broken by the media, the managers always fess up and admit "Schucks, your right, we are trying to sign player X. Got us..."

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2011, 08:14 AM
What!? A reporter mentioned something in a story and the FO denied it? That never happens in football. As soon as a rumor is broken by the media, the managers always fess up and admit "Schucks, your right, we are trying to sign player X. Got us..."

HAHAHA
pretty much

Blazer
07-12-2011, 08:21 AM
4 goals in 10 years. Sounds promising.

http://seattle.theoffside.com/files/2009/02/tyrone-marshall-300x176.jpg

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2011, 08:24 AM
i rarely expect my CBs to be scoring goals, dunno bout you

Carts
07-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Where does he stand on the "...He'll Tear This League Apart..." scale...???

Beach_Red
07-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Except, as always, with this messed up team it's a problem. When Mariner was first on the job he said they were on the verge of a "big signing" and it didn't happen. Then when the two DPs were signed the Klinsmann connection was mentioned and now if a guy he has denied is signing signs there will be the inevitable questions about who is running this team?

And seeing as how no one ever stands up and says, "This is my team, I'm responsible for it," we continue to wonder who is running it.

And probably so do the players.

TorontoBlades
07-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Molinaro knows about as much as I do in the world of soccer...

brad
07-12-2011, 08:38 AM

We have the wiki stats, all we need is some YouTube highlights and we can tell for sure.

brad
07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Except, as always, with this messed up team it's a problem. When Mariner was first on the job he said they were on the verge of a "big signing" and it didn't happen. Then when the two DPs were signed the Klinsmann connection was mentioned and now if a guy he has denied is signing signs there will be the inevitable questions about who is running this team?

And seeing as how no one ever stands up and says, "This is my team, I'm responsible for it," we continue to wonder who is running it.

And probably so do the players.

Inferring anything from what is a standard, and quite frankly a good practice when dealing with player signings in the media is silly IMHO.

I would worry far more if the FO were publically owning up about every player they are signing (or trying to sign).

This just strikes me as a witch hunt.

s2cazz
07-12-2011, 08:44 AM
its a big deal cuz Mariner said hes not coming.
basically itd mean the FO is lying (and as every paranoid TFC fan would state WHY SHOULD WE TRUST THE FO, THEY ARE MLSES PUPPETS, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER COACH, FIRE MLSE FIRE THE FO).

To a certain extent they would be right, it would breach what trust (in some cases what little trust) we have for the new FO

They don't HAVE to tell us shit. Ever consider the fact they lie to us, not to be assholes, but to protect the best interest of the club?

In fact Molinaro may be causing damage by releasing information he shouldn't know.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
They don't HAVE to tell us shit. Ever consider the fact they lie to us, not to be assholes, but to protect the best interest of the club?

Yep, or they dont say anything for the same reason.
Im not mad at it or suspicious.
Ive put my faith in Winter and Im going to give him two seasons.
If something fishy like payoffs etc happens then I will turn on him but until then the FO has not done anything wrong yet (i would like to see some decent signings during the window and a better positioning of the team at the end of the year)

KRO
07-12-2011, 08:47 AM
This Voyageurs thread gives the impression that he was playing well for L'impact. He says he was let go because he was a bad loser - that could be a problem if he joins us;)

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?42387-Kevin-Hatchi-Released-by-Impact

Dreadlocks
07-12-2011, 08:50 AM

In fact Molinaro may be causing damage by releasing information he shouldn't know.

There have been several deals in pro sports that have fallen apart becasue of the media involvement so I 100% agree with this.

The only time the team needs to confirm player movement is when they have actually signed, released or traded a player imo

rocker
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I didn't even hear any rumours of Frings coming to TFC (Redbull? yes) before he was signed. That's fine by me. Just sign the guys and don't get my hopes up with rumours.

I found it funny tho that Molinaro published a rumour even when the club denied it. It reminds me of when I was a journalist and you'd desperately want to publish a story to show your bosses you're getting work done..... and then you'd call the official spokesperson and it would be denied completely, so you'd have no story to write. Molinaro's story is like a transcript of the behind the scenes work of a journalist, not an actual story.

Whoop
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
There have been several deals in pro sports that have fallen apart becasue of the media involvement so I 100% agree with this.

The only time the team needs to confirm player movement is when they have actually signed, released or traded a player imo

I didn't even hear any rumours of Frings coming to TFC (Redbull? yes) before he was signed. That's fine by me. Just sign the guys and don't get my hopes up with rumours.

I found it funny tho that Molinaro published a rumour even when the club denied it. It reminds me of when I was a journalist and you'd desperately want to publish a story to show your bosses you're getting work done..... and then you'd call the official spokesperson and it would be denied completely, so you'd have no story to write. Molinaro's story is like a transcript of the behind the scenes work of a journalist, not an actual story.

But working behind the scenes with a team, trades and signings are usually done way before an official release is done.

And when deals fall apart it's not necessarily the media's fault. i.e. player is signed or traded, media reports that they've heard a deal has been done, player has visa issues, fails a medical, deal falls apart. It has nothing to do with the media.

Believe me, the media, and in particular, social media, moves way, way faster than teams do and in some cases the way leagues do. This is something professional leagues are dealing with. Some teams now instead of putting it on their website first will make a post on twitter because it's quicker to get the announcement out.

I know a big stink was made recently where the Philadelphia Flyers were criticized because Mike Richards found out about his trade to LA on twitter as opposed from the team.

Teams operate with the understanding that they can't comment on a transaction until it's finalized or approved by the league.

Therefore, Hatchi could still be on the way to Toronto or he has signed an agreement with Toronto but a) it hasn't been finalized by the league, b) there could be visa issues, or c) he may need to pass a medical.

Either way, Molinaro isn't the only one saying that Hatchi has signed with Toronto. Others involved in Canadian football have heard the same thing.

In the meantime, until it's finalized, what else is Mariner going to say? Of course, he's going to say no.

brad
07-12-2011, 11:57 AM

The Frings to TFC rumors were flying around all over the place before he signed.

Curious more than anything - but do you find this any different than what happens daily in the football news around the globe? This happens on a daily occasion.

Whoop
07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Molinaro stating that an announcement could be made on Friday.

arsenal
07-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Does he require int'l slot? Could be Mariner doesnt want to tip his hand if he is trying to trade one of int'l players to clear up the roster slot.

Ultra & Proud
07-12-2011, 01:07 PM

I don't know but I hope he stands up pretty well against the 'league tearing us a new one' department.

menefreghista
07-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Molinaro stating that an announcement could be made on Friday.

Which is the day the transfer window opens.

Dreadlocks
07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Just want to clarify that I don't think Molinaro has brought this up with the intentions of damaging the team although there have been other situations in the sports world where a leaks have made it difficult to get things done.

And Whoop you're right. What else is Mariner supposed to say?

Stryker
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Well travelled 5'10" defender?
Je suis tres excited.

Alonso
07-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Does he require int'l slot? Could be Mariner doesnt want to tip his hand if he is trying to trade one of int'l players to clear up the roster slot.

Good point, showing his cards in this regard would hamper him creating space for Hatchi.

Serb_Star
07-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Me no want.

CretanBull
07-13-2011, 03:05 AM

He's a "good" player, who's very competitive...and has attitude problems. He can play on our back-line, but isn't the saviour.

__wowza
07-13-2011, 09:44 AM

i made this handy scale for all MLS acquisitions.

http://i.imm.io/7qmC.jpeg

Darlofletch
07-13-2011, 09:52 AM

I picture him as the tearee rather than the tearer.

oh well, if he can hold the fort right now, and then be decent non complainy back up when others are fit, it's not a bad pick up.

bangersandmash
07-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Very handy. Perhpaps, for improved clarity, you could change "Meh" to "Mista."

Ultra & Proud
07-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Really everyone thought Cann was shit when he showed up here last season as he was Shitecap reject and pretty much everyone thought the same of Dicoy Williams until he played but they both surprised. Maybe (hopefully) this can be the case here. Either way, it has to be better than having Harden in the middle.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-13-2011, 11:04 AM
yeah i mean he could just be a stop gap/band aid til the end of the season, i cant get angry at that as we dont have alot of options right now

ManUtd4ever
07-13-2011, 11:09 AM

:lol:

Carts
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM

This is AWESOME...!!!

Well Played... Very Well Played...

Carts...

TorontoBlades
07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
On a side note, I've never seen anyone hype the signing of such a fringe player in my life. It's like he wants to prove to the world that he broke the news of a DP or something...

menefreghista
07-14-2011, 10:35 AM
On a side note, I've never seen anyone hype the signing of such a fringe player in my life. It's like he wants to prove to the world that he broke the news of a DP or something...

I don't think he's hyping anything. The guy is just doing his job.

We want our media writers to go after stories like this. And then when they do we attack them?

[NBF]
07-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Kevin Hatchi: This could mean he might replace Richard Eckersley if he is recalled and transferred to another English team. Eckersley is a rental, when his contract is up we might need a player like Hatchi that can play on either fullback position and centre back. Either way it sounds like he can play in multiple positions which means he's a Aron Winter type of guy and fits our system.

mdc 77
07-14-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't think he's hyping anything. The guy is just doing his job.

We want our media writers to go after stories like this. And then when they do we attack them?

Exactly.

What is he hyping? The only "hype" going on is if you happen to come to this board and see an bunch of people posting about an article written about TFC signing some fringe player from a lowly team in a second rate North American league.

John does a good job, I'm not going to complain about media coverage of the team I am interested in following.

Dreadlocks
07-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Winter has stated that he needs a left footed central defender. Does anyone know if Hatchi is a natural left footer? If he is that may indicate the report to be accurate.

[NBF]
07-14-2011, 11:21 AM
he can use both feet and can play any position in defense.

Inklink
07-14-2011, 11:33 AM
;1339730']he can use both feet and can play any position in defense.

So he can actually walk? Sweet. :D

jloome
07-14-2011, 06:34 PM
So he can actually walk? Sweet. :D

Beats Harden. I think he limps to get out of bed.

trane
07-14-2011, 06:59 PM
i rarely expect my CBs to be scoring goals, dunno bout you

I was going to comment. About the last stat I look at bor a CB is goals scored.

trane
07-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Materazzi is a left footed central defender.

trane
07-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Beats Harden. I think he limps to get out of bed.

He certainly limps in the box.

s2cazz
07-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Materazzi is a left footed central defender.

That scores goals.

Materazzi Hat Trick = 2 Goals + a Red Card

RedRum
07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I welcome a "bad attitude" at this point. This team plays with no emotion and heart. Throw in Frings disposition and leadership skills and there is likely to be a new mindset in the locker room.

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2011, 06:21 AM
I welcome a "bad attitude" at this point. This team plays with no emotion and heart. Throw in Frings disposition and leadership skills and there is likely to be a new mindset in the locker room.

Depends on the kind of bad attitude. The kind that wants to play on the field and don't wanna hold out for dosh.

Nuvinho
07-16-2011, 09:50 AM
so where is this fool? wasn't he supposed to be signed on Friday.

Alonso
07-16-2011, 09:51 AM
^^^ Yeah begining to wonder if it fell through...

CSO_BBTB
07-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Odds on it was a case of deliberate misinfo to make certain out of favour journalists look foolish (Molinaro has been quite vocal about the Attakora situation for example) or a case of feeding a suspect employee false info to see if it winds up splashed over the internet.

cincy
07-16-2011, 10:11 AM
paging John Molinaro ......

Blixa
07-16-2011, 10:32 AM
;1339730']he can use both feet and can play any position in defense.

Can he use his head though? As in, thinking?

Nuvinho
07-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Molinaro just tweeted that he isn't coming.

ginkster88
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM

GOOD

Pigfynn
07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
But I thought he insisted? Lol

Gazza
07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm going to miss him.

Nuvinho
07-19-2011, 03:18 PM
can we start an appreciation thread for him?

Gazza
07-19-2011, 03:20 PM
The amount of money i've wasted on Bas Ent and Hitachi memorabilia. I could've fed a small soup kitchen.

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Good on J-Mo, getting out in front of his own rumour mill, to insist that all of those things he said are untrue, haha. :D

- Scott

Red CB Toronto
07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
I miss Bas Ent, what a legend he could have been.

johnmolinaro
07-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I'll address this more later when I have time, but I don't think I ever insisted that Hatchi was coming to Toronto.

My original report was that the club was negotiating with Hatchi. The club denied it and I ran my story based on very good sources with intimate knowledge of the talks, plus one other piece of info.

I included their denial in my original story. So I didn't hide that they said it was BS, unlike a lot of other journos would have.

Things change all the time, and in this case they signed Iro and/or maybe they rethought Hatchi's track record and changed their mind.

The point is that I still stand by the original article: that TFC was negotiating with Hatchi and that at the time a deal could have been announced soon.

I will take responsibility for one thing: when I tweeted last week that Hatchi was coming on Friday, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean to suggest that he would be unveiled as a TFC player on Friday, but that he was coming to Toronto, presumably to continue talks.

I think that led to some confusion and the idea that I insisted he was signing with the club, even though Mariner denied it. So that's fully on me: I should have been more clear with what I meant to say. Full apologies.

Hopefully you know me enough and are familair with my body of work over the years that to know that I am not the kind to publish rumours, speculation or gossip.

I can address this more thoroughly later on this evening if you'd like, so I'll check back in a few hours.

John

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I was just having some fun, John, haha.

- Scott

DOMIN8R
07-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Thank you, John. Sounds reasonable to me. Close thread?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-19-2011, 04:04 PM
no worries and definitely appreciate the explanation.
always a good look from a journalist

johnmolinaro
07-19-2011, 04:06 PM
I was just having some fun, John, haha.

- Scott

No, I know you were kidding, dude. It's all good. I wasn't responding to your post but just to a general audience.

At the end of the day, I am accountable to readers such as yourselves. I think I've said it before here, but I am not above criticism or scrutiny.

So if some of you have questions or doubts, about this or any story I have ever written, I have absolutely no problem coming on here and addressing them.

I pride myself on not being so far removed from readers that I feel no need to explain myself. That's not the kind of journalist I am.

John

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I appreciate the clarification about what you meant regarding Hatchi being in Toronto on Friday. The rest doesn't really require explanation. Sometimes negotiations work out, sometimes they don't.

- Scott

johnmolinaro
07-19-2011, 04:13 PM
I appreciate the clarification about what you meant regarding Hatchi being in Toronto on Friday. The rest doesn't really require explanation. Sometimes negotiations work out, sometimes they don't.

- Scott

Exactly - sometimes negotiations don't work out.

as for "The rest doesn't really require explanation," fair enough that you feel that way.

But my offer still stands: email, PM or come on here and post a message if you ever have a question about something I have written/reported.

I feel I have a responsibility to do so, especially with my regular readership.

OK? :)

John

Alonso
07-19-2011, 04:33 PM
The relationship that you've forged with this message board is pretty cool John. Personally I think it's great to have you on here and get a journalists perspective on the ongoings with TFC.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth when I titled this thread. It was just my opinion that you were 'insisting' not a quote that you were insisting.

Auzzy
07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
can we start an appreciation thread for him?

Wall of Honour too soon?

Stryker
07-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Wall of Honour too soon?
Nobody's ever too soon for the wall of honour. Just ask the front office.

Pigfynn
07-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh jOhn, s'all good

Detroit_TFC
07-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Sometimes things don't work out. Just ask Carlos Tevez, who was almost a Corinthians player for like 36 hours this week (and Kia Joorabchian, who can now count all the agent fees he's not getting).

TOBOR !
07-20-2011, 07:01 AM
I'll address this more later when I have time, but I don't think I ever insisted that Hatchi was coming to Toronto.

My original report was that the club was negotiating with Hatchi. The club denied it and I ran my story based on very good sources with intimate knowledge of the talks, plus one other piece of info.

I included their denial in my original story. So I didn't hide that they said it was BS, unlike a lot of other journos would have.

Things change all the time, and in this case they signed Iro and/or maybe they rethought Hatchi's track record and changed their mind.

The point is that I still stand by the original article: that TFC was negotiating with Hatchi and that at the time a deal could have been announced soon.

I will take responsibility for one thing: when I tweeted last week that Hatchi was coming on Friday, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean to suggest that he would be unveiled as a TFC player on Friday, but that he was coming to Toronto, presumably to continue talks.

I think that led to some confusion and the idea that I insisted he was signing with the club, even though Mariner denied it. So that's fully on me: I should have been more clear with what I meant to say. Full apologies.

Hopefully you know me enough and are familair with my body of work over the years that to know that I am not the kind to publish rumours, speculation or gossip.

I can address this more thoroughly later on this evening if you'd like, so I'll check back in a few hours.

John

http://64.13.252.151/forums/picture.php?albumid=375&pictureid=2746

TOBOR !
07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
lol - Molinaro just tweeted that TFC has now 'singed' Eddy Viator... get it ? Burned by bad info ? Singed ? Aha Aha Aha....

BFin
07-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I appreciate that John comes on and clarifies things. He has done so for me in the past when I have questioned an article. I wish more journalists had the balls to stand by their writing and provide explanations to their readers.

Kudos John.