PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,July.05

denime
07-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Real Esteli Test For Toronto (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/real-esteli-test-toronto)

Toronto FC to open CONCACAF Champions League against Nicaraguan side (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/07/04/sp-tfc-concacaf.html)

TFC to open CONCACAF CL vs. Real Esteli (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/07/04/champions_league/)

Toronto FC's mid-term results are in (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/04/toronto-fcs-mid-term-results-are-in)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

flatpicker
07-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Mornin'

Menelaos
07-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Larson must not be aware of our record if he's ranking our players with A's and B's for the most part. The only A in our team is Frei...the rest are playing like C's and D's.

Stouffville_RPB
07-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Morning everyone

spark
07-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Even with a game to go, it feels like a post-mortem for the Canadian Women at the WWC, discussing where some of the real issues lie. Of course wrapping up the Voyageurs Cup and high praise to Aron Winter as things are starting to come together as seen by the pendulum swinging back toward TFC after a rocky start to the year.

PAUL JAMES ON SOCCER PODCAST: EPISODE 15 (http://rednationonline.ca/PaulJamesonSoccerEpisode15.aspx)

ALSO - not as scandalous as the title but highlighting Koevermans as the key acquisition over the week

FORGET FRINGS, KOEVERMANS IS THE PLAYER TO WATCH (http://rednationonline.ca/KoevermansistherealplayertowatchforTFC.aspx)

scooter
07-05-2011, 07:16 AM
mornin d

just got this news on richmond hill soccer club website
here is a chance to support local soccer in richmond hill

The Ontario Cup comes to Richmond Hill!
The weekend of July 9th and 10th promises to have some great soccer! Some of the top teams in Ontario are travelling to Richmond Hill to compete for the covetted Ontario Cup trophy.
Visit our Artificial Turf facilities at Crosby Park and Richmond Green West this weekend and support our teams!
Saturday July 9th: U16 Girls Green and U17 Girls at Crosby Park and Richmond Green West between 11am and 6pm.
Sunday July 10th: U16 Girls Green and U17 Girls at Crosby Park between 11am and 5pm. U18 Girls at Crosby at 5pm. Raiders Provincial Women at Richmond Green West at 4pm.

brad
07-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Larson must not be aware of our record if he's ranking our players with A's and B's for the most part. The only A in our team is Frei...the rest are playing like C's and D's.

I'd give Ecks an A as well, but other than that I agree.

maninb
07-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Eckersley is easily an A+....I guess you haven't been watching....

maninb
07-05-2011, 08:02 AM
If TFC beat Esteli they get a pretty weak group...Pumas are a very weak Mexican team (10th in the 2nd Division), a marginal Panamanian side, and probably Dallas who will no doubt be the favorites....

Wull
07-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Ssg = <3

Roogsy
07-05-2011, 08:33 AM

I asked him that question last night and he said he graded based on value per contract.

I guess I understand that but frankly, it's not a way I'd grade players. It would be a factor sure, but not the prinipal one.

Not to mention, if that was the case, why did he give Cordon such a low score? He's costing us nothing and hasn't been great nor poor but still got a D.

Kind of inconsistent if you ask me.

Roogsy
07-05-2011, 08:35 AM
That is a smoking sunshine girl...

nimamalek
07-05-2011, 08:56 AM
A C for Soolsma? he's been our most consistent winger, and probably the best defending winger as well, great crosses, won a couple of penalties and won a high percentage of our corners.

Roogsy
07-05-2011, 08:58 AM
What is Soolsma's contract like? Again, Larson indicated to me he based it on value the team is getting based on pay.

Carts
07-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Mornin'
Toronto FC's mid-term results are in (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/04/toronto-fcs-mid-term-results-are-in)

Not to be a negative-nelly, but those mid-season grades are far to kind / positive for the season we are having...

This is a club that has won 3 League Matches and has been thumped 6-2 at home, and the main grades range from A-C...???

If the grading goes A=Excellent, B=Very Good, C=Average, D=Experiencing Difficulty, F=Fail...

Our season performances have ranged from a "B" at best, to a "F" for a couple...

C's and D's (standing for Average & Experiencing Difficulty) are the bulk of our squad so far this season...

Carts...

Carts
07-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Also, best result 0-0 vs LA...?

I'd at least give it a draw with the 2-2 vs LA as we pulled out a shocker of a draw with basically the last kick of the ball - by a former LAG no less...

Carts...

Oldtimer
07-05-2011, 09:28 AM
C's and D's (standing for Average & Experiencing Difficulty) are the bulk of our squad so far this season...

Carts...

It does seem too kind, but a lot of other MLS sides are also struggling. There have been a lot of ties this year.

TFC is only one win out of a playoff spot...

menefreghista
07-05-2011, 09:33 AM

The standings lie though, with so many teams having played less games than TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-05-2011, 09:51 AM
A C for Soolsma? he's been our most consistent winger, and probably the best defending winger as well, great crosses, won a couple of penalties and won a high percentage of our corners.

he always looks really slow but is quite effective, he can cross (by MLS standards) and seems to do well juking players, i like the dude

Roogsy
07-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Not to be a negative-nelly, but those mid-season grades are far to kind / positive for the season we are having...

You are using the wrong term.

Around here, the proper term is "Debbie Downer".

http://trouble.room34.com/wp-content/uploads/trouble/2009/10/Debbie_Downer.jpg

ag futbol
07-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm confused how Gordon Gets A and Santos gets C.

If we're talking value/money here the amount of production Santos gives us for the pay is pretty good.

rocker
07-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm glad that by the end of this month, the games in hand issue is almost completely over. TFC has an 11 day break coming up meaning most of the other east teams will have caught up to us in games played or be just 1 game played behind by July 20.

We will actually have 1 game in hand on NYRB by July 20.

So we'll have a better sense of whether those teams with games in hand actually took advantage of those games in hand within a few weeks.

Roogsy
07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm glad that by the end of this month, the games in hand issue is almost completely over. TFC has an 11 day break coming up meaning most of the other east teams will have caught up to us in games played or be just 1 game played behind by July 20.

We will actually have 1 game in hand on NYRB by July 20.

So we'll have a better sense of whether those teams with games in hand actually took advantage of those games in hand within a few weeks.

Interesting. I hadn't looked at that. And funny enough, July 20 is when our new DPs are eligible to play.

The season begins July 20! Let's see what happens.

rocker
07-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Interesting. I hadn't looked at that. And funny enough, July 20 is when our new DPs are eligible to play.

The season begins July 20! Let's see what happens.

I only looked at eastern div teams... but while we have a big break there, the other east teams don't.
NYRB have a pretty busy schedule this month for example. They'll be at 22 games played when we play Dallas on July 20 with Frings and Koevermans (our 22nd game).

If TFC can get something from these two road games this week, and a couple east teams don't take advantage of the games in hand, things could get interesting for TFC.

Whoop
07-05-2011, 10:05 AM
You are using the wrong term.

Around here, the proper term is "Debbie Downer".

http://trouble.room34.com/wp-content/uploads/trouble/2009/10/Debbie_Downer.jpg

What if your a guy?

I've heard Pessimistic Pete and Negative Norman.

Hitcho
07-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Ssg = <3

Hard to disagree with this..

Carts
07-05-2011, 10:16 AM
It does seem too kind, but a lot of other MLS sides are also struggling. There have been a lot of ties this year.

Whether there have been a lot of ties or not, the performance of our players does not value A's and B's...

If that's the case, then this team is as good as its going to get (aside from our new DP's coming in), and I am personally holding out hope, and beleive, they can perform better...

Carts...

Menelaos
07-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Eckersley is easily an A+....I guess you haven't been watching....

Oh I've been watching, but I don't have the Maple Leaf goggles on.
Would he make the all-star team? Is he a top defender in the league? He may look great next to what we have, but he's a B.

Giving him an A+ ?!?!

Why am I even replying to your post...

Menelaos
07-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I asked him that question last night and he said he graded based on value per contract.

I guess I understand that but frankly, it's not a way I'd grade players. It would be a factor sure, but not the prinipal one.

Not to mention, if that was the case, why did he give Cordon such a low score? He's costing us nothing and hasn't been great nor poor but still got a D.

Kind of inconsistent if you ask me.

That would make a little more sense, but then is that compared to the rest in Toronto? Because if compared to the league I am sure better value per contract can be found which would again render all those A's and B's incorrect.

Now wouldn't JDG then been an F?

ManUtd4ever
07-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I have watched many MLS matches this season. Eckersley could easily be ranked as one of the top defenders in MLS based on his play thus far.

Menelaos
07-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I have watched many MLS matches this season. Eckersley could easily be ranked as one of the top defenders in MLS based on his play thus far.

I'll disagree with you.
Best TFC defender, sure. Amazing flashes in some games, joins the rush, etc.
Not sure about the league.
Maybe the MLS all-star game will prove me wrong?

TOBOR !
07-05-2011, 10:37 AM
without looking, I'd say that this 'rating system' sounds more like a utilization report - where you deduct time spent on the injury list from your findings.

brad
07-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I'll disagree with you.
Best TFC defender, sure. Amazing flashes in some games, joins the rush, etc.
Not sure about the league.
Maybe the MLS all-star game will prove me wrong?

He will have an advantage over others in the All-star game as he trained with a lot of the United players on a weekly basis, he will be much more familiar with them as players, and particularly any weaknesses they have.

Most MLS defenders have limited experience against players of that quality.

menefreghista
07-05-2011, 10:51 AM
There won't be any TFC players at the All-Star game. Its the same day as the home match v Real Esteli.

Dreadlocks
07-05-2011, 10:58 AM
There won't be any TFC players at the All-Star game. Its the same day as the home match v Real Esteli.

Well that SUCKS!

Fort York Redcoat
07-05-2011, 11:03 AM

No loss there. No worries about injury either.

TFCRegina
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
What if your a guy?

I've heard Pessimistic Pete and Negative Norman.

We should start using the term a Realistic Roogsy when they throw these around.

TFCRegina
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM

No shit. :hump:

She likes pawning n00bs on video games.

I guess she steals n00bs from video games and sells them to your local watch exchange centre.

Whoop
07-05-2011, 11:27 AM
TFC not in the lottery for Soony Saad.

TFCRegina
07-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Well that SUCKS!

Not really. Rather not have any of our players playing pointless midseason games where they can hurt.

Detroit_TFC
07-05-2011, 11:51 AM

That makes me very Saad.

Seriously, not quite sure we passed on him. Possibly to preserve favorable lottery position for somebody else in the pipeline. It would have to be somebody damn worthwhile to pass up on Soony.

menefreghista
07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
That makes me very Saad.

Seriously, not quite sure we passed on him. Possibly to preserve favorable lottery position for somebody else in the pipeline. It would have to be somebody damn worthwhile to pass up on Soony.

Could it be salary cap reasons?

TFCRegina
07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
That makes me very Saad.

Might not have the cap space to play with.

KRO
07-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Chicago 2-2 was our worst performance? Didn't the guy see the Philly game?

menefreghista
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM

And the 4 teams that are in the lottery are all teams we are all part of the playoff race (Portland, KC, Chicago, Chivas).

Whoop
07-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Soony Saad ends up with Sporting KC.

Carts
07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Chicago 2-2 was our worst performance? Didn't the guy see the Philly game?

True!

Maybe he's like a lot of us, pretending it never happened?

PopePouri
07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Eh, we have 2 new DPs. I'm happy we didn't jump the gun with Failhaber and Saad.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-05-2011, 12:55 PM
prob cap along with do we really need 1 more striker?
Let alone an inexperienced one?

maninb
07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Saad has Freddy Adu written all over him....he should have stayed in college and matured....

ag futbol
07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Saad has Freddy Adu written all over him....he should have stayed in college and matured....
Staying in college won't do much for anybody who wants a professional career in soccer.

The season is mega short and the rules are bastardized. There are quite a few other places around that will help you out more.

TFC1154ever
07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Jacob Peterson - B: Peterson’s work rate and simplicity is sorely missed at the moment. Although welcoming him back from injury won’t solve Toronto’s scoring woes, he was excellent in possession and at keeping his defensive shape. After struggling through most of last year, he was easily TFC’s top midfielder when healthy.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Am I the only one who thinks this guy shouldn't be even close to a soccer ball?

Whoop
07-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I can see the rationale behind the 2-2 draw being worse than the 6-2 loss to Philly.

In the 6-2 loss the team was shit from the start and even though they clawed it back to 3-2 until Frei booted the ball up the middle, TFC was never really in it.

With the 2-2 draw, TFC was up 2-0 and blew the lead in what was a winnable game.

Sometimes, you get those 6-2 type losses and you forget about it - even halfway through the game you're thinking just let's get this over with - but that 2-2 draw where you had the match in your grasp are tougher to swallow.

Gazza
07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Jacob Peterson - B: Peterson’s work rate and simplicity is sorely missed at the moment. Although welcoming him back from injury won’t solve Toronto’s scoring woes, he was excellent in possession and at keeping his defensive shape. After struggling through most of last year, he was easily TFC’s top midfielder when healthy.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Am I the only one who thinks this guy shouldn't be even close to a soccer ball?

With Frings in, we no longer have to see him stand over the ball and send wayward free-kicks to the other team's keeper.

menefreghista
07-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Saad is getting the league minimum, according to Ives.

Oldtimer
07-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Saad is getting the league minimum, according to Ives.

Can't be that good then... maybe potential tho.

TFC07
07-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Saad? LeBron James of MLS soccer? Well that's how some people here make him out to be. lol

All kidding aside, we don't need another player who isn't ready to contribute to first team. We got plenty of kids here and some of them with great potential.

spark
07-05-2011, 08:26 PM
If TFC beat Esteli they get a pretty weak group...Pumas are a very weak Mexican team (10th in the 2nd Division), a marginal Panamanian side, and probably Dallas who will no doubt be the favorites....

Umm you might want to double check that Pumas are the best team in Mexico right now they just won the Clausura - defeating CONCACAF Champions Monterrey along the way.