PDA

View Full Version : RSL v New England on TSN 8:30pm

TFCin110
07-04-2011, 07:51 PM
What a disgrace the referee is. Red card in the 3rd minute for what was clearly not a penalty, which started from a long goal kick to a player who was clearly offside.

Gazza
07-04-2011, 07:52 PM
This league just cannot be taken seriously.

Eastend
07-04-2011, 07:54 PM
That was one of the worst plays/calls I have ever seen. At least 5 yards offside plus red cards the defender that came back and made a clean play in of the ball.

BRUTAL!!

p.s. You can't be offside on a goal kick? Per Twellman....really? Never knew that rule...ever.

p.s.s. He is correct. Page 31 of the 2010/2011 FIFA Rules of the game: no offside if ball is played directly from goal kick, corner kick, or throw in. Mmmmm, learn something new every day only thought the last 2.

boysblue
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
lol....i just posted this under worst decision ever thread. truly unbelievable by both referee and especially the linesman who must have literally been sleeping.

-----------------------------

ah, my apologies to the linesman.

sully
07-04-2011, 07:59 PM
What a disgrace the referee is. Red card in the 3rd minute for what was clearly not a penalty, which started from a long goal kick to a player who was clearly offside.

incredible

TFCin110
07-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Echoing what everyone has said, that is probably the worst penalty decision I have ever seen and i've been watching this game for 25 years now. When will this league be credible in the refereeing department?

boysblue
07-04-2011, 08:55 PM
um.....this guy just went from bad to worse. rsl given a second half penalty that was just as dubious as the one he granted earlier. too bad.

sully
07-04-2011, 08:57 PM
The ref was looking for anything to give salt lake a penalty after what he did in the third minute I think. The ref is the star of this game...if he comes to bmo we should skip the game and toss a coin instead to decide the game maybe..

JamboAl
07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Doesn't the play-by-play guy on ESPN sound like Chris Berman?

Toronto_Bhoy
07-04-2011, 09:14 PM
How does one justify paying, as Tom would say, "market value" for this? Seriously? I have four ST tickets now I'll be lucky to keep two…

Toronto_Bhoy
07-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Watch some real football…http://www.hqfooty.com/2011/06/channel2.html

TFCin110
07-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Wow, the game was all about the referee and nothing more. Unreal. I've never seen a league where the referees have that much influence on the games.

ag futbol
07-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Saw the last 10 minutes ... good fight back from RSL but you could tell by the temperament of both teams the ref had lost the match.

Time for MLS to step up and start providing more funding for the USSF to train better officials. Or they could just rely on their old tired excuse of being a helpless third party with no say over the process.

prizby
07-04-2011, 10:29 PM
time for the mls to bring officials from abroad...use the nasl/usl to train refs up

TFC USA
07-04-2011, 10:31 PM
So no one mentioned this, but you can't be offside on a goal kick.

Penalty was still bullshit, though.

Jenkins12
07-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I put a bet on NE and Seattle to win..if Seattle wins I'm murdering that ref

London
07-04-2011, 10:41 PM
espindola is a beast.

lalas just said that that was the worst reffing they have EVER seen

Keystone FC
07-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Wow, the game was all about the referee and nothing more. Unreal. I've never seen a league where the referees have that much influence on the games.
The thing I noticed was how much the ref got in players faces, so to speak. This was his 8th MLS match and he was acting like a World Cup ref...actually a World Cup ref wouldn't act like that.
I am serious when I say if MLS or USSF can't provide decent refs or make known that a ref (and his crew) like this could be suspendid then there will be a match that someone (a fan or supporter) goe BALISTIC and rushes the officials and really hurts them...I'm talking Central/South American style.

Darlofletch
07-05-2011, 06:08 AM
How does one justify paying, as Tom would say, "market value" for this? Seriously? I have four ST tickets now I'll be lucky to keep two…

really? that was the most entertaining game I've seen all year, plenty of goals, a comeback from 2-0 down, result in doubt right to the end, plenty of controversy. like the v-cup final, but on steroids.

it's not ideal when it's alll about the ref by any means, but sometimes a bit of controversy can help build a great, memorable game, that was this game.

flatpicker
07-05-2011, 06:27 AM

I'm embarrassed to admit, I didn't know that.

zamperina
07-05-2011, 06:48 AM
I believe this ref was the one who gave Dallas that phantom penalty against TFC earlier in the season.

CoachGT
07-05-2011, 07:45 AM
really? that was the most entertaining game I've seen all year, plenty of goals, a comeback from 2-0 down, result in doubt right to the end, plenty of controversy. like the v-cup final, but on steroids.

it's not ideal when it's alll about the ref by any means, but sometimes a bit of controversy can help build a great, memorable game, that was this game.

As a neutral, it might be entertaining. As was the San Jose/LA match when the Magee played keeper. Sideshow entertaining, not necessarily football entertaining. In this case, the second penalty, the constant stream of cards and the second red card were all calls to balance things as opposed to letting the game take a natural pace.

I'm pretty sure that if your job relies on these decisions (players and coaches) this was pretty poor. When a player or coach has no idea of what is being called, then you are back to recreational soccer, not a professional game. And I'm not sure that this would attract many new fans, especially if they can't decipher what is being called/what is happening in the game.

maninb
07-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Good lord that was abysmal refereeing...the RSL red card was horrendous, but the hand ball call against NE was correct...the defender raised his arm (like Marvel Wynne always did) and the ball hit it...clear penalty....

Auzzy
07-05-2011, 07:58 AM
On the first red card & penalty, look at the ref's running and positioning before the call. He sees there's a potential break-away or close situation in front of goal developing, but he only jogs slowly in the direction, keeping in line with & behind the two players. As a result it was almost impossible for him to make a good call. If he had run faster, and a bit diagonally, he would have had a better chance to see more from the side. It was a horrible call, but also a bit difficult to see IMO w/o slo-mo replay. Only then could I see for sure that the defender's leg had gone up first before the attacker's & touched the ball first. To give a penalty was bad enough; to also give a red when the ref should have known he didn't have a clear view, was unbelievable.

The linesman was also too far back I believe.

Apparently Kreis suggested to Nichol to walk off the field after the 2nd penalty, according to ESPN?

flatpicker
07-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Just looked at the highlights from the game.
That penalty was ridiculous.

Wasn't it mentioned recently that Garber was going to look into the quality of officiating?
He's got a lot of work to do.

__wowza
07-05-2011, 08:15 AM
no THIS is the worst decision ever:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/76952/equatorial-guinea-defender-shows-blatant-disregard-for-handball-rule-goes-completely-unpunished-video.html

seriously, watch it. you'll scratch yer head.

flatpicker
07-05-2011, 08:17 AM

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/76952/equatorial-guinea-defender-shows-blatant-disregard-for-handball-rule-goes-completely-unpunished-video.html

7c-5ebHnlsE

ACSertL
07-05-2011, 08:20 AM
I watched most of this game and, officiating aside, it was fairly entertaining.

Rimando really needed to get his hand to the 2nd Revolution goal though.

Detroit_TFC
07-05-2011, 08:33 AM
USSF and CSA are using a bunch of refs new to the top flight due to expansion and the increase in games to officiate. They just don't seem ready to ref at the top level, hardly even at the NASL/USL level it would seem. I wonder if they were refs at that level or come from somewhere else. Not saying that to be a bigot by any means. If their experience is from C. America or Mexico lower divisions, that's a very different playing culture and in turn application of the laws. Isn't a period of time reffing in div 2 and div 3 required before being allowed to ref div 1?

ryan
07-05-2011, 08:36 AM
I watched most of this game and, officiating aside, it was fairly entertaining.

Rimando really needed to get his hand to the 2nd Revolution goal though.

Eh no?

That's all on Saborio for moving out of the way. If you're the wall, be the fucking wall not a window.

ACSertL
07-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Eh no?

That's all on Saborio for moving out of the way. If you're the wall, be the fucking wall not a window.

It just looked like the shooter scuffed the shot and there wasn't much pace on the ball. I guess given New England's position in relation to TFC it was more that I wanted Rimando to save the shot rather than getting on him about not being able to save it.

ag futbol
07-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Another thing to consider is how much MLS is paying these guys. How many of the officials are actually full-time professionals?

How many good people are going to be attracted to that position given how much the salary is.

Carts
07-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I watched this game last night and was just shaking my head...

I love how Kreis and Nicol started the match yelling at each other over bad calls - and in the end, they were both so frustrated and in disbeleif they were just talking like "...well there's another brutal call..."

The ref f*cked up in the 3rd minute, and it went downhill from there - hell it was a sinkhole from there...

What a mess! :(

Carts...

Davenport
07-05-2011, 01:31 PM

Penalty was still bullshit, though.
You can't be offside from a goal kick ?
I didn't know that but I'll check.
The penalty was a joke.

ryan
07-05-2011, 01:53 PM
It just looked like the shooter scuffed the shot and there wasn't much pace on the ball. I guess given New England's position in relation to TFC it was more that I wanted Rimando to save the shot rather than getting on him about not being able to save it.

I think the replay is deceiving one of us cause from one clip the ball was moving with pretty good pace.

However back to the wall, if they do their job Rimando is not really thinking about saving a shot on that corner, that's part of the point of the wall is to reduce the net he has to cover, right?

Carts
07-05-2011, 01:54 PM
From the FIFA Laws:

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
• a goal kick
• a throw-in
• a corner kick

Out of curiosity, Why can't you be offside from a goal kick (other than the rule I quote above lol)...?

If the attacker is in the other teams half, and in an offside postion - why is it not like any other deadball restart (where you can be offside)...?

Also, why do more teams not take advantage of this and just have their strikers take off like the hammers of hell and thump the ball up the pitch (off a goal kick from a corner for example)...?

As it stands now, most MLS teams actually wait for the defenders to get in place, then thump it up the pitch - with slower defenders, take advantage...

Mark in Ottawa
07-05-2011, 02:10 PM

HAHAHA :facepalm:
My son mentioned this one to me and I thought he was just kidding at first.
I could not believe that any international level referee could miss this call.

ACSertL
07-05-2011, 02:17 PM
I think the replay is deceiving one of us cause from one clip the ball was moving with pretty good pace.

However back to the wall, if they do their job Rimando is not really thinking about saving a shot on that corner, that's part of the point of the wall is to reduce the net he has to cover, right?

The wall really didn't do its job that's without a doubt. But as I explained it was really more me wanting the ball to be saved as to assigning blame to the GK :)

The draw was a fairly good result for Toronto, but considering the the fact that RSL were really hard done by in the first 3 minutes of the game it could have been worse.

flatpicker
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
You can't be offside from a goal kick ?
I didn't know that but I'll check.
The penalty was a joke.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know about this rule.

GhostKiller
07-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Speaking of bad refs, last night in my men’s league the ref wouldn’t make a single call. Not one. Both teams started playing harder, tempers got hotter and the whole thing erupted into an 11 v 11 fist fight. Obviously not the same on a professional level but still. Refs can fuck a game right over.

NBS
07-06-2011, 12:52 AM
HAHAHA :facepalm:
My son mentioned this one to me and I thought he was just kidding at first.
I could not believe that any international level referee could miss this call.

Forget international level referee....a one-eyed, part-time, rec league referee at midnight during a power outage wouldn't have missed that.