PDA

View Full Version : Dickov offered one-year deal, says report

jloome
07-06-2008, 02:24 AM
http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sportfeed/2008/07/06/i-m-dickov-to-canada-78057-20633888/

Lucky Strike
07-06-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm glad it's no more than one year, simply because he is fairly old. I still hope it's not the end-all of solutions for Mo for scoring however.

Broadview
07-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Is that one year as in the rest of this year?

Bluenose13
07-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Dickov will score a ton of goals for us........Hi is huge upgrade to what we have & his style will make him a huge fan favourite........Great move by Mo !

Wagner
07-06-2008, 09:58 AM
V99opxrgjyQ

Toronto_Bhoy
07-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Totally agree with B13...this guy will score here for sure!

Carts
07-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Dickov will score a ton of goals for us........Hi is huge upgrade to what we have & his style will make him a huge fan favourite........Great move by Mo !

My old man (who still refuses to admit he's a TFC fan, yet watches every game and gives indepth thoughts on them lol) thinks Dikov will be excellent for us as well...

He says the way the game is played "with that rug you've got at BMO" will work to Dikov's advantage because he has a tireless work ethic, and is smart enough to use it to his advantage...

I asked the "non-fan yet expert" if we'll finally start scoring off live play and not set plays and he says the same as Bluenose, that Dikov should put the ball in the net regularly...

So, I'm pumped for this - we need to score, hopefully he'll do just that..

Carts...

Damien
07-06-2008, 10:07 AM
We'll have 2 dicks on offence... Dickov and Dichio.

Carts
07-06-2008, 10:10 AM

I can just see a girl holding a sign up...

"Two 'Dicks' are Better Than One"

That'll get us over with the mainstream media... :D

Carts...

ACSertL
07-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Can't wait for the call of this one..."Pair of Dicks knocking it about in the box"...so inappropriate. :lol:

Phil
07-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I wonder if we manage to sign him, will we use the DP slot?

ACSertL
07-06-2008, 10:21 AM

If they keep Cunningham as well...perhaps, but I can't see that happening.

Stugatzo
07-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Met Dickov at the Pachuca game...super nice guy and really seems to love the atmosphere and the potential here.
I think on the field he'd be a force to reckon with picking up the wide crosses and the scrambles in front of goal.

Lucky Strike
07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
V99opxrgjyQ

What I think has won me over in this clip is that it shows Dickov's exploits in a short time. More precisely, the creator didn't have to go far to find good clips (all of these are at Blackpool and just recently). Some clips of players I have seen use footage from years ago: the fact that this footage is from a compressed period of time bodes well. It showed 3 of his 6 or 7 goals for Blackpool in a short time there and it shows us exactly what we're getting. I was skeptical before but now I'm eager to see Dickov in a TFC shirt!

DigzTFC!
07-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I think Dickov could be a great addition in the short-term, but I have some questions. More to do with what Dickov is thinking. Why would a guy want to move to another continent for lousy pay and for a year and half?

The only way I can rationalize this move for him is if there are no other teams interested (which Blackpool is) or Mo will offer him a role within the organization. Or maybe he just wants one last adventure

Cambridge_Red
07-06-2008, 10:57 AM

I doubt it to be honest. I think there's going to be a few moves in the next little while.

egoodwin
07-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Can't wait for the call of this one..."Pair of Dicks knocking it about in the box"...so inappropriate. :lol:
just wait till we play LA again...

Two dics in the box with Vagenas

Broadview
07-06-2008, 11:12 AM
just wait till we play LA again...

Two dics in the box with Vagenas

:party:

werewolf
07-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Two Dic's, one ball....hmmm, sounds backwards...

TFC Cityboy
07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Acc to the News of the Screws he's signed/ is signing imminently.
Mrs TFC Cityboy is very excited about this one...she loves her wee Dicky!!
http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/07/dickov-goes-to.html

sully
07-06-2008, 12:10 PM
if he does sign for us I can see him through no fault of his own getting sent off in one of his first games.. Similarly to Dichio he seems to have that aggressive tussling/scrammbling spirit that MLS doesn't seem to like very much..

Detroit_TFC
07-06-2008, 12:27 PM
if he does sign for us I can see him through no fault of his own getting sent off in one of his first games.. Similarly to Dichio he seems to have that aggressive tussling/scrammbling spirit that MLS doesn't seem to like very much..

That makes me like him even more.

Dickov and Dichio up front with service from Guevara and Robert. This may get us what we need for now, which is into the playoffs. If everyone stays healthy and we can bring this next season, it may be enough to get us into the finals. I can't see it staying together more than a full season, but, if it works, by that time we'll have enough improved profile to sign higher caliber players.

TFC Cityboy
07-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Trust me on this as I've followed his career since his Arsenal days. He's the kind of player you HATE when he is not playing for you ( think Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Robbie Savage) but love him playing for YOUR team. You will LOVE the little fella as his is the anti-Cunningham. He will work his arse off for this team, and yes he will argue with refs tho I feel he may have mellowed with age a bit. It'll be up to Carver to warn him about the MLS refs ;)
He's a fox in the box if you like and is a good finisher. He will adore the South Stand and in turn we will adore Paul Dickov.
I hope this comes off!

Lucky Strike
07-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Trust me on this as I've followed his career since his Arsenal days. He's the kind of player you HATE when he is not playing for you ( think Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Robbie Savage) but love him playing for YOUR team. You will LOVE the little fella as his is the anti-Cunningham. He will work his arse off for this team, and yes he will argue with refs tho I feel he may have mellowed with age a bit. It'll be up to Carver to warn him about the MLS refs ;)
He's a fox in the box if you like and is a good finisher. He will adore the South Stand and in turn we will adore Paul Dickov.
I hope this comes off!

Good to know! No more Cunningham salute (the statue-hands-on-hip pose).

TFC Cityboy
07-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh he'll have his hands on hips but only cos he's fuckin' knackered from chasing doen the opposition defenders...he defends from the front. I love this guy!

koryo
07-06-2008, 01:13 PM
If they keep Cunningham as well...perhaps, but I can't see that happening.

I wouldn't worry about that. Cunny's been on borrowed time here for awhile. And if he wasn't, missing a penalty last night will have certainly done it. He'll be let go in order to free up the SI spot for Dickov.

Broadview
07-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't worry about that. Cunny's been on borrowed time here for awhile. And if he wasn't, missing a penalty last night will have certainly done it. He'll be let go in order to free up the SI spot for Dickov.

Somewhere in the world, Colin Samuel is laughing his ass off.

Bobo
07-06-2008, 01:48 PM
That makes me like him even more.

Dickov and Dichio up front with service from Guevara and Robert. This may get us what we need for now, which is into the playoffs. If everyone stays healthy and we can bring this next season, it may be enough to get us into the finals. I can't see it staying together more than a full season, but, if it works, by that time we'll have enough improved profile to sign higher caliber players.

I don't think we'd be playing Dickov, Dichio, Guevara and Robert all together.

Dickov---Dichio
---Guevara---
Robert--------Ricketts
----Robinson---

I don't think our attackers can't defend well enough. And that's provided we drop Edu which I don't see happening, despite poor form. I doubt Ricketts would take kindly to being benched in the MLS either. Adding Hucks too? Our attack will end up too strong lol. Cunny would be gone undoubtedly but there still will be so many players that someone's going to have to sit, and I doubt anyone will take to that.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-06-2008, 01:56 PM
This would be a nice move for the team. I still think, for purposes of depth, we still need a younger (21-28) striker as well. Enoch Showunmi is available on a free transfer and I think his time at Luton Town overlapped with Carver’s, he’d be a nice fit to my way of thinking.

Similar article. Maybe Hucks still a possibilty?:

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/06/MLS-Johnston-on-Dickov-and-Huckerby/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

jloome
07-06-2008, 03:18 PM
My optimism over Dickov is growing; seems like the kind of striker who'll finish chances, but has to get help creating them instead of making the space himself. I don't think a lack of chances has been our problem, mostly just the finish.

Maybe he'll have a Deuchar/McManus kind of impact, although he played and was successful at a much higher level than both -- ripped the CCC apart last year in that loan spell -- so here' s hoping.

And maybe the fact that Huckerby can play wide left explains why Robert was playing like a man possessed last night -- although I'd still put him up front if he came.

alexintoronto
07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
This would be a nice move for the team. I still think, for purposes of depth, we still need a younger (21-28) striker as well. Enoch Showunmi is available on a free transfer and I think his time at Luton Town overlapped with Carver’s, he’d be a nice fit to my way of thinking.

Similar article. Maybe Hucks still a possibilty?:

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/06/MLS-Johnston-on-Dickov-and-Huckerby/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

Interesting - he's 6 ft 5 and 26 years old

Toronto_Bhoy
07-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I know we all would love younger guys but if indeed this is a one year deal...this is a good solution...come on you Dic's...Danny & Paul, that is!!!

kitchener-TFC
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
LMAO

Roogsy
07-06-2008, 11:51 PM
I still believe Dichio should be coming off the bench. Don't get me wrong...I am a big fan of the guy. But with his age, his speed and his injuries the last few seasons, I would rather he come in at the 60th and give tired defenders a hassle than have to run it out for 60 minutes.

Dichio as our super sub would be a dream.

Or use the 2 "Dicks" evenly since although they both provide grit, they have different elements to their game that defenses would have to adjust to.

jloome
07-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Scottish paper says this morning that Blackpool is counteroffering. "Meanwhile, Blackpool are ready to battle it out with MLS side Toronto for former Scotland striker Paul Dickov." -- that's the whole thing.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football-news/2008/07/07/soccer-shorts-english-deal-suits-soutar-86908-20634488/

Roogsy
07-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Payback for Welshy??? LOL!

Cashcleaner
07-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Dicov is shaping up to be a pretty strong acquisition for TFC if such a thing gets finalised. He's a proven goal-scorer and that's exactly what we need at the moment. All said, however, I doubt we would use the DP allocation for him. A straight -up replacement for Cunningham sounds about right for me, but on the flip-side, I don't think he should be worth a small fortune for either.

CretanBull
07-07-2008, 01:04 AM
^ I agree...I don't see him as a DP worthy player....but a clear upgrade on Cunny.

James Oliphant
07-07-2008, 01:07 AM
We've got two dicks
We've got two dicks
We've got two dicks in your box
We've got two dicks in your box...

shaggingscot
07-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Somewhere in the world, Colin Samuel is laughing his ass off.

Correction...somewhere in Scotland Samuel is eating a few pies and laughing his arse off!

Cashcleaner
07-07-2008, 02:51 AM
^ I agree...I don't see him as a DP worthy player....but a clear upgrade on Cunny.

A one-legged pygmie with bad eyes and gallstones is starting to look like a clear upgrade on Cunny.

Derko
07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
I am sure Dickov will be an improvement up front, he appears to be able to strike the ball with confidence.

Cheers

TFC Cityboy
07-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Derko - you can't lose this one can you...he either re-signs with the Tangerines or he plays for the mighty TFC!

bangersandmash
07-07-2008, 10:06 AM
As long as he's healthy. His netted a grand total of 0 during second (injury plaugued) stint at ManC. When wondering how effective Dickov's will be in the MLS you have to wonder, is MLS equal to the middle table of the EPL or is it equal to the lower table of the Coca-Cola Championship? When playing in mid-table EPL Dickov averaged a goal every 3-4 games. If MLS is on par with lower table championship then we can expect him to score roughly every other game.

In my mind, assuming no other strikers are added, TFC benefits most if Dichio and Dickov can feed off of each other and inspire each other to bag a few more. I don't see either man as being able to be the salvation for the 1,1,3,4 Carver's been playing with.

TFC Cityboy
07-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't recall him starting a match at City in his last stint there and he was seldom used as a sub too. MLS is CC Championship at best, and little Dicky was always at his best in that league. He's healthy and will run his little legs off for this club and its fans if he signs.

Shaughno
07-07-2008, 10:20 AM
People saying Dichio and Dickov playing together. Have you any tactical knowledge of the game? You DO NOT play two like minded and style strikers up front together. It won't work. Dichio would come on as a sub, I guarantee it.

DOMIN8R
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Toronto has been negotiating to bring in a couple of players who have been playing in England, Paul Dickov and Darren Huckerby.
Dickov flew back home on Sunday after a visit to Toronto that included a training session with TFC.
"We put in an offer to him," Carver said. "We'll wait and see what comes of that."
Huckerby was in San Jose on the weekend to check out the situation there with the Earthquakes after he had visited Toronto last week and Carver was not certain of the status of those negotiations.
Toronto has first MLS rights for both players

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080707.wspttfc7/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

jloome
07-07-2008, 02:27 PM
People saying Dichio and Dickov playing together. Have you any tactical knowledge of the game? You DO NOT play two like minded and style strikers up front together. It won't work. Dichio would come on as a sub, I guarantee it.

They're not like minded and like styled players. Dickov is a little guy, not a target forward or great header or the ball; he's a "fox in the box", a poacher, but he's very good at being an irritant as well and creating space for other players, so he tends to be categorized by people as more of a playmaker than poacher.

But he'd actually probably work very well with a big target man to feed off of and to interplay with.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Hmmm judging by all other signings thus far, heading back to the UK usually means packing up to come over here. Should be interesting... Curious to see how the Huckerby thing is going as well...

tfc_4_ever
07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd love this move

TicTacTabarnack
07-07-2008, 02:51 PM
A one-legged pygmie with bad eyes and gallstones is starting to look like a clear upgrade on Cunny.

Hahahaha ... I vote for giving the one-legged pygmie with bad eyes and gallstones the jersey number 100 so that Cunny will never wear it!

Blixa
07-07-2008, 03:38 PM

So we're finally getting a DP then, as in, double penetration. :)

tfc88
07-09-2008, 07:53 AM
^^^ lol was waiting to see if someone else got that too :)

Damien
07-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Sooooooo, has the guy made a decision yet. Cmon, it's TFC, Dickov!

Kickit09
07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
whats taking so long...... is dickov pulling out at the last second?

TFC_Junky
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
^^ god I hope not. How bad would it be to hear another player won't sign with us because of the turf...

Stencils
07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
So we're finally getting a DP then, as in, double penetration. :)

Heheh, I was reading through this thread thinking "How come NO-ONE is making the obvious remark..."

and then here it is.

lol

Kevvv
07-09-2008, 12:01 PM
We'll have the best Dics in TO

The biggest Dics in MLS

No-one will be able to handle our Dics

and Carver will be happy to have his Dickov

T0R0NT0 FC
07-09-2008, 12:10 PM
To the tune of "Duff Beer - Duffland Tunnel" (from the Simpsons)

I've got a dick,
You've got one too,
We've got two dicks,
That'll score goals on you!!!

:D

Pachuco
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
This is turning into the Kiki saga :)

Ok, not quite yet, I just can't handle waiting no more.

BeachRed
07-09-2008, 12:57 PM
^^ god I hope not. How bad would it be to hear another player won't sign with us because of the turf...

Don't you think he's got his TFC offer in hand and now he's seeing if he can find anyone closer to home who will match it?

akoto
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Don't you think he's got his TFC offer in hand and now he's seeing if he can find anyone closer to home who will match it?

I have a feeling you're right. He probably wants to saty in the UK and is using this as a bargaining tool.

Shaughno
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Of course, he still has value over there. Why move if you can make the money there and not have to go through the hassle? Especially for 1 maybe 2 years of football.

Kickit09
07-10-2008, 11:03 AM
i'd laugh if the transfer window shut and we still didnt have a DP because MLSE is waiting for the "right" one (right one being an old discount player) ... actualy i'd cry. but i wouldnt be surprised.

Canadian Blue
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Dickov has a contract offer from Blackpool I believe so we will see what happens there.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM
i'd laugh if the transfer window shut and we still didnt have a DP because MLSE is waiting for the "right" one (right one being an old discount player) ... actualy i'd cry. but i wouldnt be surprised.

really dont see Dickov being signed as a DP anyways.
God i hope not.

scooter
07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
dickov is a short term answer but we sure need something
too many unfinished plays lately that have cost us games and points
new blood is needed at forward
4-3-1-2 maybe
the 2 are dichio and dickov
the 1 is guavara
the rest will sort itself out

maybe that and money is why we passed on hucks